Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

joinme wrote: »
    Anyone else find it hard to read that poster?
    Yep, but judging by the release of the top down poster with it, I guess relevant parties knew that too.

It's for merch rather than promotional If I'd to guess, but it is silly.

Still, in saying that, I'd buy the circular design on the back of the shirt rather than the top-down in a heartbeat just for it's uniqueness - so maybe they done their job! :D

joinme wrote: »
    Check out 'like gravity' from their latest LP
    Will give it a go.

I will admit I really enjoyed their first album despite it being a bit samey - but the second was just the exact same song one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That's that then folks.

?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

?

I'm guessing it's based on the support of emergency services being withdrawn from events. Glastonbury needs them to put a date on it though before they can trigger any insurance claim for cancellation I'd guess.

Government will probably just do it on a monthly rolling basis and not actually say when they will support events again until they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

looks almost certain to be officially cancelled soon, regardless of what happens over the next while:
    https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/233598-glastonbury-2020-cancelled-i-am-sorry-to-be-the-bearer-of-this-news/

Yep a couple of people in the know confirming now. Inevitable really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This is about as close to a confirmation from a reliable source as you are likely to get ahead of a Tweet from Emily Eavis directly:

https://twitter.com/eFestivals/status/1239957946378997772

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah it's surely game over. They probably have a few things to sort before can announce publicly but we'll get an announcement soon I think.

From Michael Eavis's granddaughter on IG:

IMG-20200317-201258.jpg

Now we just play the waiting game! :(

Lots to do then - hotel cancellations, flight cancellations, CV cancellations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Balls

Hope for a postponement at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

....... Ye..... {sigh}.... Y'know, I think I hope they will cancel it until next year rather than half-arse it in September or something.

For me, Glasto is a Summer thing. Whether (No pun intended) it's baking in the sun like last year, or up to yer knack3rs in mud like 2016 or somewhere inbetween.

Let those who want to, keep their tickets but refund deposit for those who don't. This would mean quite a big resale allocation.

Try to get as much of the same lineup as possible. Personally I thought it was an interesting lineup. Some will disagree but that's the best thing: You have the "Worst lineup EVA" and "BEST lineup EVA" and everything other opinion.

Have an epic 50th on the 51st and celebrate the fact: Embrace the fact that we are there. Embrace the fact that everyone else is there. Embrace everyone's newfound respect for life (Hopefully). Just don't embrace Airport security after 5 days without a shower.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Poorside wrote: »
    Balls

Hope for a postponement at best.

You can't just postpone a festival of this size, it'll be cancelled until next year

Bands touring schedules would make a postponement a nightmare

scudzilla wrote: »
    You can't just postpone a festival of this size, it'll be postponed.

Bands touring schedules would make a postponement a nightmare

They might postpone it instead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

DOH :rolleyes:

It'll be cancelled alright - logistical nightmare.

But then again, Coachella wouldn't be far off it's scale and it's been postponed until October.

I'm expecting the cancellation though and try again in October! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Bearded Theory (which I know is a much smaller festival) have already announced alternate dates for September if they can't have it in May.

Can't see it being postponed. Will just be cancelled for this year.

No way they will be able to get it organised for another date this year because the advance planning required whilst still not knowing what services will be available and when just isn't going to happen. They can only write it off for the year and start planning for 2021 in the hope that vaccines and the world is back up and running nearly as normal by then...but even that could be touch and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

We are so sorry to announce this, but Glastonbury 2020 will have to be cancelled, and this will be an enforced fallow year for the Festival.

Clearly this was not a course of action we hoped to take for our 50th anniversary event, but following the new government measures announced this week - and in times of such unprecedented uncertainty - this is now our only viable option.

We very much hope that the situation in the UK will have improved enormously by the end of June. But even if it has, we are no longer able to spend the next three months with thousands of crew here on the farm, helping us with the enormous job of building the infrastructure and attractions needed to welcome more than 200,000 people to a temporary city in these fields.

We would like to send our sincere apologies to the 135,000 people who have already paid a deposit for a Glastonbury 2020 ticket. The balance payments on those tickets were due at the beginning of April and we wanted to make a firm decision before then.

We understand that it is not always easy to secure a Glastonbury ticket, which is why we would like to offer all those people the chance to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the opportunity to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2021. Those who would prefer a refund of that £50 will be able to contact See Tickets in the coming days in order to secure that. This option will remain available until September this year. For those who are happy to roll their deposit over, that will happen automatically. Further information - including details on rolling over coach packages, official accommodation bookings and local Sunday tickets - will be added to our website in the coming days.

The cancellation of this year's Festival will no doubt come as a terrible blow to our incredible crew and volunteers who work so hard to make this event happen. There will also inevitably be severe financial implications as a result of this cancellation - not just for us, but also the Festival's charity partners, suppliers, traders, local landowners and our community.

We were so looking forward to welcoming you all for our 50th anniversary with a line-up full of fantastic artists and performers that we were incredibly proud to have booked. Again, we're so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice. But we look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.

Michael & Emily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

cena wrote: »
    We are so sorry to announce this, but Glastonbury 2020 will have to be cancelled, and this will be an enforced fallow year for the Festival.

Clearly this was not a course of action we hoped to take for our 50th anniversary event, but following the new government measures announced this week - and in times of such unprecedented uncertainty - this is now our only viable option.

We very much hope that the situation in the UK will have improved enormously by the end of June. But even if it has, we are no longer able to spend the next three months with thousands of crew here on the farm, helping us with the enormous job of building the infrastructure and attractions needed to welcome more than 200,000 people to a temporary city in these fields.

We would like to send our sincere apologies to the 135,000 people who have already paid a deposit for a Glastonbury 2020 ticket. The balance payments on those tickets were due at the beginning of April and we wanted to make a firm decision before then.

We understand that it is not always easy to secure a Glastonbury ticket, which is why we would like to offer all those people the chance to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the opportunity to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2021. Those who would prefer a refund of that £50 will be able to contact See Tickets in the coming days in order to secure that. This option will remain available until September this year. For those who are happy to roll their deposit over, that will happen automatically. Further information - including details on rolling over coach packages, official accommodation bookings and local Sunday tickets - will be added to our website in the coming days.

The cancellation of this year's Festival will no doubt come as a terrible blow to our incredible crew and volunteers who work so hard to make this event happen. There will also inevitably be severe financial implications as a result of this cancellation - not just for us, but also the Festival's charity partners, suppliers, traders, local landowners and our community.

We were so looking forward to welcoming you all for our 50th anniversary with a line-up full of fantastic artists and performers that we were incredibly proud to have booked. Again, we're so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice. But we look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.

Michael & Emily

The only option really. To help them out financially I also think many artists will play for a reduced fee and I'm also happy to pay an extra £20 or so on the agreed ticket price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Not unexpected to be honest, couldn't see how it could go ahead in the current climate, so many people in such a small space. The 5 days Glastonbury is on I think it becomes one of the highest population density areas in the world!

At least there's the option to roll the tickets over to 2021 for those of us lucky to get them, and for those that missed out, the resale will be a bit of a ****show but at least there should be more tickets available for that than a typical resale.

Mental that they even announced the line up. Oh well. See you guys next year hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Commiserations lads. Not unexpected but a kick in the teeth nonetheless.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

johnnykilo wrote: »
    At least there's the option to roll the tickets over to 2021 for those of us lucky to get them, and for those that missed out, the resale will be a bit of a ****show but at least there should be more tickets available for that than a typical resale.

Will there be a resale? I'd imagine that they will just sell this year's resale ones in October for 2021!

Will there be a resale? I'd imagine that they will just sell this year's resale ones in October for 2021!

Id say thats what will happen and since we're before the balance payment date for 2020 there will be very few, if any.

Resale will be April 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well I get to keep my ticket so I guess it's the best possible outcome for me all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Would love to get my hands on a t-shirt with last week's announced line up on it.

Poorside wrote: »
    Would love to get my hands on a t-shirt with last week's announced line up on it.

Great idea. You could get one printed easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I'm not sure when the resale will be; maybe one in October this year for people who decide now that they don't want to go next year and then maybe another one next year at the traditional April period for people who decide closer to the time and when the line-up is out that they don't want to go. Maybe they'll just do a big one April 2021!

I reckon with it just being so far in the future there'll be people with other plans who's say **** it and that's why there'll be more resale tickets than normal. Just more variables involved being so far in the future so more resale tickets available!? Who knows!? :confused:

• Advertisement

Unless they have masses of people ask for their deposit back I'd expect the resale to just be in April when they have the balance paid. There would be more than a normal April resale, but not by much.

Advertisement