Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

mossy464 wrote: »
    I got one but once the money is taken from your card id say your safe

Is the money not taken automatically, or is there a delay in processing? I've got the confirmation mail and assumed this was after processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Is the money not taken automatically, or is there a delay in processing? I've got the confirmation mail and assumed this was after processing.
    Well, it's held - so it'll be indicated on your statement now but not taken from your account.

From my A/C (for 6 deposits):

Screen-Shot-2019-10-06-at-09-24-45.png

Got in woop

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

9 of our 11 groups got tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Got our groups sorted. The site was very responsive for me throughout. Whenever I pressed refresh I got the waiting message until I got through.

I have been in the situation where you get nothing at all before and it is very bizarre. This sort of technical lark is (sort of) my field and I've looked at it before and here is my best suggestion of what is going on (but still just a guess as this is way beyond the scale I'd know).

I believe there are at least three layers of load balancers. A DNS level load balancer at the very beginning that spreads request to 5 servers with a low TTL so they can remove and add more if they need (never seen them do this though other than the time they typoed the IP address).

There is a network load balancer that gets you to the holding page. This is designed to hold sessions of people who've gotten through to avoid timeouts in the middle of a transaction.

Then there is an application load balancer that hands out a unique cookie that lets you get to the booking page. Once you get this cookie you can refresh multiple times and still get the ticket ordering page.

If you are getting the blank page or timeout etc it is likely the network load balancer is full. It is protecting the sessions that are already in flow. It seems if you get in that door there you can consistantly try to get through to the next level which is to get to the actual booking page. If you don't get past the network load balancer you are already fighting a losing battle as you are waiting for it to decide some previous connections are now stale (people in the network load balancer need to leave for whatever reason).

There is no traditional "queue". Just two bottlenecks protecting the system from collapsing and every time you refresh depending where you are you may get through to the next level.. but you persist in that next level. If that makes sense.

One thing I noticed when I got into the ticket booking thing is it popped up a cookie warning. If you had an aggressive ad blocker this might be blocked and stop you moving on from the booking page (someone mentioned this happened?). Absolutely ensure all your ad blocking is off just to avoid that one.

I dunno if I'd suggest moving away from Seetickets... "Ticketmaster is a super responsive site on big sales that I feel fairly treated by" no one said ever. I've said before it might be nice if they just did a lottery for all registered people who expressed an interest and randomly sent out the links to book like what was done for the Led Zeppelin reunion a while back... I guess the danger is people would "sell" that privelage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭TenPicnics

I am one of the lucky few who got through and still can't believe it. First time going, been wanting to all my life.

Was on that holding page from 9am for about 15 minutes, refreshing manually every 5 seconds or so until finally moved to registration details page then payment page. I only had one tab - the seeticket page - open on Safari, if that makes any difference.

For those unlucky this morning, don't give up, there'll be a resale in the spring and there seems to be a separate 50 pairs of tickets lottery which they'll notify by email.

Refresh often was the advice I picked up from here (thank you all) and Glastonbury info page, but don't refresh at the same time it's going through auto refresh.

From reddit :p
    Honestly after 5 years of never getting a ticket I think it would be easier to just learn how to play music and get on the ****ing line up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

TenPicnics wrote: »
    I am one of the lucky few who got through and still can't believe it. First time going, been wanting to all my life.

Was on that holding page from 9am for about 15 minutes, refreshing manually every 5 seconds or so until finally moved to registration details page then payment page. I only had one tab - the seeticket page - open on Safari, if that makes any difference.

For those unlucky this morning, don't give up, there'll be a resale in the spring and there seems to be a separate 50 pairs of tickets lottery which they'll notify by email.

Refresh often was the advice I picked up from here (thank you all) and Glastonbury info page, but don't refresh at the same time it's going through auto refresh.

Does it not just refresh automatically? I just left it open but didn’t get through. I’ll try again on the resale. Any tips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭TenPicnics

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Does it not just refresh automatically? I just left it open but didn’t get through. I’ll try again on the resale. Any tips ?

It does refresh automatically but only every 20 seconds. I just followed tips that all seemed to recommend manual refresh more regularly than that, & also not to have multiple tabs open in your browser. At the end of the day it might just be random luck though.

You're better to refresh every so often yourself than wait IMO.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    You're better to refresh every so often yourself than wait IMO.

Thanks I’ll try that on the resale but doubt there will be many left.

Thanks I’ll try that on the resale but doubt there will be many left.
    Don't doubt it.. I got resale in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Toast wrote: »
    Got our groups sorted. The site was very responsive for me throughout. Whenever I pressed refresh I got the waiting message until I got through.

I have been in the situation where you get nothing at all before and it is very bizarre. This sort of technical lark is (sort of) my field and I've looked at it before and here is my best suggestion of what is going on (but still just a guess as this is way beyond the scale I'd know).

I believe there are at least three layers of load balancers. A DNS level load balancer at the very beginning that spreads request to 5 servers with a low TTL so they can remove and add more if they need (never seen them do this though other than the time they typoed the IP address).

There is a network load balancer that gets you to the holding page. This is designed to hold sessions of people who've gotten through to avoid timeouts in the middle of a transaction.

Then there is an application load balancer that hands out a unique cookie that lets you get to the booking page. Once you get this cookie you can refresh multiple times and still get the ticket ordering page.

If you are getting the blank page or timeout etc it is likely the network load balancer is full. It is protecting the sessions that are already in flow. It seems if you get in that door there you can consistantly try to get through to the next level which is to get to the actual booking page. If you don't get past the network load balancer you are already fighting a losing battle as you are waiting for it to decide some previous connections are now stale (people in the network load balancer need to leave for whatever reason).

There is no traditional "queue". Just two bottlenecks protecting the system from collapsing and every time you refresh depending where you are you may get through to the next level.. but you persist in that next level. If that makes sense.

One thing I noticed when I got into the ticket booking thing is it popped up a cookie warning. If you had an aggressive ad blocker this might be blocked and stop you moving on from the booking page (someone mentioned this happened?). Absolutely ensure all your ad blocking is off just to avoid that one.

I dunno if I'd suggest moving away from Seetickets... "Ticketmaster is a super responsive site on big sales that I feel fairly treated by" no one said ever. I've said before it might be nice if they just did a lottery for all registered people who expressed an interest and randomly sent out the links to book like what was done for the Led Zeppelin reunion a while back... I guess the danger is people would "sell" that privelage.

That's all interesting stuff, never heard that about the ad blocker before

MadYaker wrote: »
    9 of our 11 groups got tickets.

Well done, I'm not crystal clear how the groups thing works.

You had 11 x groups of 6 people?

So 66 different reg numbers?

Chelon wrote: »
    Well done, I'm not crystal clear how the groups thing works.

You had 11 x groups of 6 people?

So 66 different reg numbers?

Yeah. I only knew people in 3 of the groups. Every year our group grows and grows, last year there was only 4 or 5 groups.

We had all 11 groups labelled on a spreadsheet with letters A to K. First everyone tries for their individual groups and when any group is successful they move on to try for the next group down the list. So for example if group A gets tickets then all 6 people in that group start trying for group B and if B gets tickets then you have groups A, B and C all trying for group C and so on until everyone has tickets. When a group gets tickets they marked their group as successful on the spreadsheet so others knew which groups had tickets and which didn't. We had one massive whatsapp group chat with all 66 people in it and then each group had an individual whatsapp group chat as well. All this and still 2 groups didn't manage to get tickets.

If anyone knows any groups I’d like to join ? Desperate to go this year...

That's all interesting stuff, never heard that about the ad blocker before

I don't know it was the cause of the problem for the person who mentioned it here but I have had adblockers knock out the cookie confirmation dialogue on other sites in the past and I'd been going mad wondering why the submit button didn't work and then have to disable the adblocker and refresh to continue. Might be the site will work if you don't accept the cookie dialogue here but I wouldn't want to risk it.
    We had all 11 groups labelled on a spreadsheet with letters A to K. ... We had one massive whatsapp group chat with all 66 people in it and then each group had an individual whatsapp group chat as well.

Wow. We used the same approach but it was only 2 groups (and one whatsapp channel). That is some scale to manage (it was mild chaos even with our 2).

It was a bit chaotic at times but it works! There were no mess ups with anyone being in 2 groups or anything like that. Some people were freaking out because the payment page was crashing but that's par for the course.

Just got the confirmation email :D:D is it too early for a drink??

It was a bit chaotic at times but it works! There were no mess ups with anyone being in 2 groups or anything like that. Some people were freaking out because the payment page was crashing but that's par for the course.

Just got the confirmation email :D:D is it too early for a drink??

Haha never.. I was knackered getting up for 9 but the post T-day adrenaline last for hours.. no better way to burn it out. That and war stories...

I got through thinking I was first and filled in my groups details and then got the message that the registrations had been used (someone else had gotten through). Panic as I slammed in the second groups details, accidentally entered someone in twice... accidentally launched the chrome debug .. got a 503... fell back to a second tab I had opened and then whatsapped furiously to the lead booker to get their card details.

Got it in the end but I was very very relieved when they got their confirmation mail and knew I hadn't messed anything more up (I think if your payment is declined you get a chance to fix it during the week but not sure?). The real confirmation is when you see the charge on the card of course.

So when is the Worthy View Sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

So when is the Worthy View Sale?

end of the month usually. have to pay in full for it at the time, but cancel later if needed.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I only knew people in 3 of the groups. Every year our group grows and grows, last year there was only 4 or 5 groups.

We had all 11 groups labelled on a spreadsheet with letters A to K. First everyone tries for their individual groups and when any group is successful they move on to try for the next group down the list. So for example if group A gets tickets then all 6 people in that group start trying for group B and if B gets tickets then you have groups A, B and C all trying for group C and so on until everyone has tickets. When a group gets tickets they marked their group as successful on the spreadsheet so others knew which groups had tickets and which didn't. We had one massive whatsapp group chat with all 66 people in it and then each group had an individual whatsapp group chat as well. All this and still 2 groups didn't manage to get tickets.

Still 9/11 is still a very good result IMO

How did you get to join this setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Only message two of us got all morning was This Site Cannot Be Reached, so never managed to even get onto the page where it tells you you are being held and page will refresh every 20 secs.

Many others unable to even reach the site?

Still 9/11 is still a very good result IMO

How did you get to join this setup?

It's just friends of friends of friends all grouping together. Mostly London based I think and a few in Ireland. We spent ages yesterday evening organising all the groups on whatsapp so everyone knew what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Only message two of us got all morning was This Site Cannot Be Reached, so never managed to even get onto the page where it tells you you are being held and page will refresh every 20 secs.

Many others unable to even reach the site?

2 out of my 3 devices couldn't reach the site. only my phone was able to get to the waiting page.

2 out of my 3 devices couldn't reach the site. only my phone was able to get to the waiting page.
    Funnily enough my phone was the only device that never reached it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Grrr. Missed out again. :(

Only one of our groups got tickets, and another was screwed over by two of the people being in another group and having tickets through that which meant as soon as the rest of the group loaded the page they got blocked.

Still gutted about having missed 2019, but going to hit up a friend of a friend who does marshaling and try that. 2020 will be the 50th anniversary and my first Glastonbury was the 25th anniversary. I have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Haha never.. I was knackered getting up for 9 but the post T-day adrenaline last for hours.. no better way to burn it out. That and war stories...

9am on a Sunday is a shocking time to put tickets for anything on sale ,especially considering tit will be sold out in 30 minutes.

Why not 2pm or 6pm like the coach sale ?

All to generate hype no doubt.

I wish theyd do it at 4am on xmas morning. Id have a better chance at getting tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Only 2 of our 9 groups got through.on 3 occasions folk got through to put my groups details in only for the site to crash or be sold out. Very disappointed.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Grrr. Missed out again. :(

Only one of our groups got tickets, and another was screwed over by two of the people being in another group and having tickets through that which meant as soon as the rest of the group loaded the page they got blocked.

Not sure what you are saying here? 2 of the group had already got tickets? If that is the case when you submit you get told people already have tickets bought for them and you just remove them. It is a delay but like a fifteen second delay...

Advertisement