Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 litre Beer Keg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin stocking 5 litre mini kegs at the moment? My local offie had Veltins and Krombacher about a year ago, but alas don't seem to stock them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Equium wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin stocking 5 litre mini kegs at the moment? My local offie had Veltins and Krombacher about a year ago, but alas don't seem to stock them now.

most of the irish breweries are doing them direct sale afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Equium wrote: »

Rascals in inchicore in their shop have them.

Thank you both.

I ended up getting one in Martin's, Fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rustyba

Did anyone have problems getting the kegs from bier-wien?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

rustyba wrote: »
    Did anyone have problems getting the kegs from bier-wien?

use them all the time for 6l kegs, only bank transfer now, not the best with communication and the website does not automatically update, but I've always got my kegs in ten days or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'm no beer connoisseur, but I like a crisp pint.

Is there a notable difference between these small kegs and cans? And once opened, do they stay fresh for long. Essentially, are they worth getting? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Hoboo wrote: »

Is there a notable difference between these small kegs and cans? And once opened, do they stay fresh for long. Essentially, are they worth getting? Cheers.

I'm using the perfect draft system, which I find is great, lovely and cold, but it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

tinner777 wrote: »
    I'm using the perfect draft system, which I find is great, lovely and cold, but it's expensive.

And like gold dust at the moment! Out of stock everywhere unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Hoboo

tinner777 wrote: »

Never heard of it until now. I thought they were the small kegs with the tap on the side. Looks the business, I'll get one when I can find one. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishGaz

Has anyone received lately from bier-wien and getting hit for customs or not arriving. I thinking of order my first ones. I think I seen posts further back to get 4 x 5l kegs is best option for delivery and size. If there is customs how much for say 4 x 5l kegs for about 50-70euro cost? or is it just luck of the draw. The kegs are about 25euro in Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IrishGaz wrote: »
    Has anyone received lately from bier-wien and getting hit for customs or not arriving. I thinking of order my first ones. I think I seen posts further back to get 4 x 5l kegs is best option for delivery and size. If there is customs how much for say 4 x 5l kegs for about 50-70euro cost? or is it just luck of the draw. The kegs are about 25euro in Ireland anyway.

Its luck as to whether Revenue let you pay the customs without a licence, the duty is set out in law.

25l and a normal strength product = €5.64 excise per % alcohol in the beer, plus any other fees. Hectolitre = 100l

I tried these mini kegs for the first time over the last month. Bought 2 - 1 Krombacher and 1 Veltins.

The Krombacher keg poured beautiful pints for 3 days. Each had the perfect amount of head and a nice level of carbonation. The keg seemed to contain some sort of CO2 dispenser which maintained good pressure in the keg, and beer always dispensed easily via the tap. Pints from this were definitely better than cans or bottles in my opinion.

The Veltins keg didn't seem to have any sort of C02 vessel inside. Beer was dispensed from the bottom solely via gravity and, truth be told, it wasn't great. The level of head was hit and miss, and carbonation fell off massively overnight. Anything poured on the 2nd day was poor and lacked any carbonation. Wouldn't buy one of these again, unless I was going to dispense all 8 or 9 pints worth in one sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭piplip87

Finished the Journeyman IPA keg from Supervalu over a couple of nights. First night was lovely only had about a pint and a half left for the second night and it wasn't too bad. Now only my second time trying IPA the first was the McGargles 7% stuff from Lidl so my expertose is limited.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

maniac2003 wrote: »
    Placed order on bier wien just noticed that its looking for bank transfer as payment has anyone else encountered this?
    It was mentioned ten posts ago by tinner777.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I tried the Krombacher keg from Supervalu recently, I found the first night I opened it, it dispensed beautiful draft tasting pints, I don't drink a lot in a session, about 3 pints. Second night, a few more pints, still very nice, third night, there was maybe two pints left in keg and it was gone flat and didn't taste nice at all. Buddies have told me the kegs are designed for parties etc, where the full keg is drank in one session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Any other shops in Cork City selling them, tried sv glanmire there and they only had stag saor. Saw journeyman there a few weeks back alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Any other shops in Cork City selling them, tried sv glanmire there and they only had stag saor. Saw journeyman there a few weeks back alright

I've seen these in both Bradley's and The Bierhaus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

I've seen these in both Bradley's and The Bierhaus.

Matsons in Grange have had them in stock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭maniac2003

Anyone got tips/videos for loading the 5l kegs into the dispenser systems? This one has a long tpiece that goes im the top and always destroy the house trying to put it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

have you got that piece connected to anything when you are pushing it down into the keg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishGaz

Hi Got my 4 x Veltin 5l kegs via AnPost. Post man said its a bit heavy and also didn't get any additional charges charges Vat was on receipt of about 16euro. and delivery charges, About 17euro a can it work out. 67euro for 4. took a week. did bank transfer from email details their system sent and put order number in ref on payment.

Also to add these are going into a beer dispenser with CO2 cylinders I mentioned in the previous posts some time back. Keeps the kegs fresh for a number of days or till empty.

galtee boy wrote: »
    I tried the Krombacher keg from Supervalu recently, I found the first night I opened it, it dispensed beautiful draft tasting pints, I don't drink a lot in a session, about 3 pints. Second night, a few more pints, still very nice, third night, there was maybe two pints left in keg and it was gone flat and didn't taste nice at all. Buddies have told me the kegs are designed for parties etc, where the full keg is drank in one session.

This is pretty much it. There's two tabs...one for the beer and one for the gas, which can be opened or closed, as you see fit. There is enough gas in the keg to keep it carbonated for the full 10 cans or 9 pints or whatever.

I find, however, that it's such a PITA trying to get the first few pints out without it turning to foam, that you're better off releasing a good dollop of the gas around the same time you open the tap to dispense the beer.

You're really supposed to find the sweetspot where you're not releasing too much gas but that the beer flows freely. this is pretty much impossible to do without wasting AT LEAST a pint. At least. If you try the softly softly apporach, the beer is being squeezed through a tiny opening and immediately turns to suds. So, the easiest way I've found is:

Open the bottom, beer-dispensing tab and pull the spigot out
    Get ready to twist that tab to the 'fully open' position (not yet though)
    Twist the gas tab at the top to about a quarter open, you'll hear some gas escaping but don't worry.
    Then twist the bottom tab open like you practiced in step 2.....It's important to get it fully open
    The beer should start flowing like you'd expect. If it's crazy gassy and foaming, you didn't open the gas tab enough

It's nigh on impossible to open it too much, so don't be afraid. This does waste a bit of the gas so you are better off trying to drain it one session, or two at the most. The ones I've tried to use properly ended up leaking gas overnight anyway, so they were still flat.

have you got that piece connected to anything when you are pushing it down into the keg?

No do not

maniac2003 wrote: »
    No do not

Any videos online of how to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

9 white deer did a video of the 5l kegs with the red tabs

https://youtu.be/Ux5avC0dMBU

has anyone ordered off beir wein in last few weeks? I see the website is undergoing maintenance

Looks to be gone, anyone other recommendations for buying kegs online?

Bumping this as no replies. Have had a good look around but postage is putting the avg price of a keg north of 25 euro each, anyone had any luck finding a good supplier?

• Advertisement

Anywhere in limerick selling the 5l kegs?

Advertisement