Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Means of Transport in Dublin

Options
  • 11-08-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 ravindrak01

What is the best means of transport in Dublin, Ireland? Bus, Luas, Drive or Bicycle? Let's share the experiences to back up an opinion.

Best Transport 63 votes

Luas
    80% 51 votes
    Bus
    6% 4 votes
    Car
    6% 4 votes
    Bicycle
    6% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What is the best means of transport in Dublin, Ireland? Bus, Luas, Drive or Bicycle? Let's share the experiences to back up an opinion.

Well it will depend on the destination and where you're starting from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You're not a fan of the Dart?

Charlie19 wrote: »

Poll is discredited.

• Whatever gets me out quickest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ravindrak01

Well, probably I meant to say Luas/Dart combined for Luas. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ravindrak01

Whatever gets me out quickest.

Of course, by the way, which one is the quickest most of the time, in your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Obviously it depends on where you live and where you’re traveling to, but for me it’s the Dart. Five minutes from the house, I’m in town in two stops and depending on where I need to go there is a stop that will leave me generally within walking distance (Connolly, Tara, Pearse, GCD). It’s fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Bus does the job for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

The DART, I can be in the City Center in 15 mins, one of the reasons I chose where I live.

• Of course, by the way, which one is the quickest most of the time, in your mind?

I prefer driving as I don't have to be in the company of others.

Nothing worse than being stuck with an idle chatterbox on the train. Or that insufferable yahoo halfway down the carriage whose every syllable uttered you can hear. And you have to be there at least half an hour beforehand to actually get a seat.

Luas is fine, harmless, I'm usually only on it for a couple of stops.

Never been on the DART.

Bus is worse than train. Id thumb a lift and take me chances before I'd get on a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It really depends on the journey. Cycling for most short trips. Luas, DART or Commuter if you live along those lines and your destination is also along those lines or an easy transfer away. Bus for most other journeys. Car for certain longer trips that public transport currently doesn't accommodate and is too far to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Going in an out of Dublin city I would say bus.
    There are certain places where LUAS or DART quicker, but generally the bus have more coverage and is more robust.

If you are on the line and coming from further afield, DART.

I voted for Bus ahead of LUAS because each LUAS line has too many single points of failure.
    One bus breaks down, or one set of traffic lights out, a few bus routes are affected but 95% of the network OK.
    With the LUAS it's 50%.

Finally, if you are trying to get from suburb A to suburb B, almost certainly car or bike - unless you are lucky enough that they are on same spine towards city centre.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

In terms of network and route coverage definitely bus. Though if there was more investment in trams and the routes expanded then I'd probably prefer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

E-BIKE is the best imo. Drop a few quid on good rain gear and off you go, exactly where you want, whenever you want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I would prefer if it were not, but car is still the best means of getting around Dublin. Especially if you drive down the defunct DART lines.
    My preferred method is DART or LUAS but their destinations are limited, busses are just awful (unreliable & slow) so car wins most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Poll doesnt have the best option- motorbike/moped. Cycling a close second, especially if the journey is under 5 or 6km.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Motorbike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Reisers

Well it will depend on the destination and where you're starting from.

Depends on the destination and where you're headed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I like the Dart the best. Then Luas. Of course, living and working around Lucan/Clondalkin neither are of much use to me. The bus is my only viable option and it is not great and getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Feet. Or bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Once you're in the city, walking is best.
    Dublin is a relatively small City, and you can hit most places within 30mins on foot.
    You could spend that waiting for public transport or stuck in traffic anyway.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Dublin is a relatively small City, and you can hit most places within 30mins on foot.

Very true, of course, bu the challenge once you are in the city is can you get from A to B without making a detour into one of the lovely pubs you will pass... to paraphrase James Joyce.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Walk or motorbike ...

There should be a big push to get people into motorbikes / scooters like other European cities...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

whiskeyman wrote: »

yeah but a 30 min walk would be about 2.5km. You could cover that distance in about about 8 minutes on a Dublin bike, its far more efficient than walking

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah but a 30 min walk would be about 2.5km. You could cover that distance in about about 8 minutes on a Dublin bike, its far more efficient than walking

But you could spend 8 minutes trying to find somewhere to dock one :)

What about Bleeper Bikes, they any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Luas is probably the most efficient and quikiest for getting in and out of city centre if your close to it. The dart is probably the worst especially for those in bayside, Sutton, howth, portmarnock and malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Bicycle, by a country mile.

The buses are slow, overcrowded, and often horribly over-heated on board. You're forced to share your space with the dregs, from playing videos out loud on their phones and facetiming on the bus, to using heroin and smoking on board (special shout out to route #40!). The bus is way too expensive and finishes way too early.

The Luas is grand time-wise, but is running way past its capacity and only covers a limited area, plus you have the security / scumbaggery issues on the red line (it is colour-coded red to indicate danger). You've got the same dregs factor as on the bus.

In the car you at least don't have to share your space with scum, but the traffic in Dublin is horrific and any accident anywhere (or even a bit of rain) tends to cause everything to grind to a halt. You definitely don't have a reliable journey time.

With the bike you can typically bypass all the traffic (there are bike lanes all over Dublin), use it whenever you like, and once you've bought the bike and some puncture-resistant tyres (essential, as the streets around Dublin are peppered with broken glass everywhere) you have bugger all running costs. You can zip by all the bus ****, feeling wonderfully smug!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Bicycle when you stay within the canals. Larger Dublin: motorbike for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement