Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports stadium electrical work - RECI cert?

Options
  • 11-08-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Do electrical works in a sports stadium require a RECI cert or does it fall under commercial/industrial remit?

Works in question involve:

230V AC from main panel via 2.5mm sq NYMJ cable> indoor 13A switched fused spur> outdoor IP66 junction box> connected to LED signage light, ran off transformer (230V AC in, 24V DC out 240W)

Voltage drop calculations for length of run etc. require minimum 1.5mm sq cable

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Any Controlled Electrical Works require certification. Commercial and industrial work is not exempt from this requirement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

More importantly NYMJ is not suitable for outdoor use unless it is shielded from sunlight as it is not UV resistant. Generally 2.5 mm sq. cable is used for lighting in commercial installations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Reisers

2011 wrote: »
    More importantly NYMJ is not suitable for outdoor use unless it is shielded from sunlight as it is not UV resistant. Generally 2.5 mm sq. cable is used for lighting in commercial installations.

It is but there's no regulations says you have to
    No indication either nymj will be exposed to sun light

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Reisers wrote: »
    It is

No its not, see link to datasheet:

https://www.clevelandcable.com/products/nymj-pvc-insulated-domestic-and-industrial-wiring-cable-15mm-to-16mm-p/

"Application Overview: PVC Wiring Cable, indoor and outdoor use. Suitable for industrial or domestic applications and designed for dry, moist or wet open areas i.e. under plaster and in concrete. Not suitable for exposure to direct sunlight. More details can be found within the technical information section below."
    but there's no regulations says you have to

There is, the rules essentially state that wiring systems must be fit for purpose / appropriate for the ambient conditions they will be exposed to.
    No indication either nymj will be exposed to sun light

From reading the OP we can conclude that it not a certainty, but it seems highly likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Reisers

I was referring to the CSA

Nothing says you have to use 2.5 that I'm aware of

• Advertisement

Reisers wrote: »
    I was referring to the CSA

Nothing says you have to use 2.5 that I'm aware of

Correct, but nobody suggested otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

To confirm, NYMJ cable is routed within 20mm flexible conduit

Advertisement