Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Affairs thread issue

Options
  • 11-08-2019 11:08pm

I'd like to know why multiple posters, who have obviously reported a repulsive poster posting in this thread, have not had mod action taken on anything in nearly 2 hours, on the most busiest visible forum on Boards.ie?

Check reported posts for this thread and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058004452&page=23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

...because it's 11pm on a Sunday night?

Mods have lives too - it can sometimes take time to get to reported posts. Additionally, while some posts might rub people up the wrong way, they aren't in breach of the forum charter.

I Appreciate all of that. It was actually around 9.30 that the reported posts started to come through. (but I'm not arguing with you either). :)

It was just strange that such a popular forum with more than a dozen mods didn't have someone looking at the reported posts.

The content of the reported posts and numbers of people reporting I thought would have gained a mod intervention of some kind between when first reported and when eventually an admin did intervene later in the evening- and thanks for doing that.

However, if no-one was on duty, fair enough- it doesn't really happen that often but it was quite intense on the night.

I suppose, "step away from the keyboard" is probably best advice.

From a feedback perspective to boards.ie though, it would be good to get more feedback when reporting a post- I know it's difficult and time consuming, but if you want people to report posts, rather than act on a natural instinct to "reply and inflame" the situation, then it's no harm sometimes to send on a follow up PM to those who have reported posts that are obviously inflammatory.

In this case, I think we all held ourselves well considering what was being posted.

Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just seeing this now. I know myself, dudara and Mr E were around, but we were firefighting the PM spammer, who I initially spotted at just after 7pm that evening. With no full time staff in who could look at site-wide options, we were trying to contact developers, trying to work out what to do with 6,500 new accounts, at that time not knowing the purpose of this account and then having to deal with all the reported PMs when it became clear what this was targeting.

We are still trying to deal with different variants of this attack. "Fortunately" I am at home after undergoing surgery last week, so I have been deleting many posts in that thread and others certainly over the past couple of days.

It was a unique set of circumstances we could not anticipate and was taking up a lot of resource meaning we were simply not in a position to keep an eye on the ball in the forum

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add you will see Mike was around in the early hours, but he has been struggling with access since the site's Cloudfare defences were ramped up on Sunday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Apologies for not getting back to this thread until now - as Beasty mentioned, the security measures taken by the site to prevent further attacks by spammers also seemingly flags my country as being suspicious, and acts accordingly.

Sunday was an outlier in that any online admin was preoccupied with nuking an onslaught of spam accounts, but in general, we may not always act immediately. If it's not a blatant breach of rules, I may wait to get a second opinion from another forum mod, to make sure I'm not misinterpreting something, or deciding if a comment is on the line or over it, and these things take time. We often get accused of shooting from the hip, but the truth is, many of these perceived "delays" are down to us trying to ensure we don't do exactly that.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all replies guys- obviously a lot going on throughout the site. I won’t take up any more of your time. Efforts appreciated
    Regards Plenty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement