Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where might asbestos be in 1979s bungalow?

• 12-08-2019 4:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

The house was built in 1979 as far as I remember. There is an external garage that was built during the 80s.

There are grey corrugated slates on the roof of both buildings. How do I know if they might contain asbestos and what do I do about it. There is minor damage to both.

Can I safely drill holes in plasterboard stud walls? They are 6mm thick - might that suggest they are asbestos cement sheets?
    Can I safely drill holes in external walls?, which are skim on blocks.
    Can I safely remove kitchen tiles? I think the kitchen was remodeled in last 10 years, but I guess there could be something dodgy underneath?
    The roof felt was cut recently. Is that a concern?
    The roof felt in the garage collapsed and was replaced. Is that a concer?
    Where else might it be?
    We plan to get an extension in next couple of years. What should we do to avoid possible asbestos release, if anything?
    Could it be in the screed subfloor?
    Could it be in the concrete slab the house is on?

Can an asbestos assessor determine if asbestos is present while everything is intact etc? How do you select one - is there a particular accreditation they should have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

how much should I expect to pay for a survey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The house was built in 1979 as far as I remember. There is an external garage that was built during the 80s.

According to this site, they started to phase it out from 1994, but a complete ban did not come in till 2004. Is the house part of an estate or a once off build?

According to this site, they started to phase it out from 1994, but a complete ban did not come in till 2004. Is the house part of an estate or a once off build?
    one-off build. Looking for a surveyor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are grey corrugated slates on the roof of both buildings. How do I know if they might contain asbestos and what do I do about it. There is minor damage to both.

Can I safely drill holes in plasterboard stud walls? They are 6mm thick - might that suggest they are asbestos cement sheets?
    Can I safely drill holes in external walls?, which are skim on blocks.
    Can I safely remove kitchen tiles? I think the kitchen was remodeled in last 10 years, but I guess there could be something dodgy underneath?
    The roof felt was cut recently. Is that a concern?
    The roof felt in the garage collapsed and was replaced. Is that a concer?
    Where else might it be?
    We plan to get an extension in next couple of years. What should we do to avoid possible asbestos release, if anything?
    Could it be in the screed subfloor?
    Could it be in the concrete slab the house is on?

Can an asbestos assessor determine if asbestos is present while everything is intact etc? How do you select one - is there a particular accreditation they should have?

The bloody stuff can be anywhere. Stipple ceilings, the gluein vinyl tile flooring, toilet cisterns, heat pads underneath sinks, pipe insulation, roof tiles among thousands of other items it was in.

Concrete dust can also cause silicosis, to beware of that too

Yeah I'm careful with tiles and concrete and stuff but also plan to drill a lot of holes in the plaster. Also ceiling in garage is crumbling a little from water damage and replaced part of ceiling and walls in main bedroom that was crumbling and had a lot of mould and damp. Also plan an extension. Also have a leak somewhere under screed. I think I know where but don't want to have a look until getti g an idea of safety...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

You can get an asbestos survey done. The one you want is called a ‘Refurbishment / Demolition Survey’ which was formerly called a Type 3 Survey. Get three or four quotes from different companies and then just go with the cheapest. All surveys are pretty much the same. This is what I’ve done in the past for schools, churches and hospitals we’re looking at refurbishing that didn’t have an asbestos report previously. I don’t think I’ve ever organised one for a house but can’t imagine it would be more than €1,000 ex vat.

This isn’t an exhaustive list but the ones I know of. Think I’ve gotten quotes from all these at some time and used about half of them. To be fair I generally find only a few euro in the difference between them. I’m sure you’ll find more with a quick google. Ring them and see if they’re interested and if they are send them on a plan of the existing house for a quote.

About Safety Ltd.
    Phoenix Environmental Safety Ltd.
    MDK Analytical Ltd.
    Anderson Williamson Ltd.
    Celtic Asbestos
    OHSS
    Chris Mee Group
    Harriongton
    Ayrton

If a mod wants to remove the list and let the OP just google companies that’s fine with me. I’ve presumed it’s not against the rules as I'm listing all the companies I know, not just one.

Dudda wrote: »
    You can get an asbestos survey done. The one you want is called a ‘Refurbishment / Demolition Survey’ which was formerly called a Type 3 Survey. Get three or four quotes from different companies and then just go with the cheapest. All surveys are pretty much the same. This is what I’ve done in the past for schools, churches and hospitals we’re looking at refurbishing that didn’t have an asbestos report previously. I don’t think I’ve ever organised one for a house but can’t imagine it would be more than €1,000 ex vat.

This isn’t an exhaustive list but the ones I know of. Think I’ve gotten quotes from all these at some time and used about half of them. To be fair I generally find only a few euro in the difference between them. I’m sure you’ll find more with a quick google. Ring them and see if they’re interested and if they are send them on a plan of the existing house for a quote.

About Safety Ltd.
    Phoenix Environmental Safety Ltd.
    MDK Analytical Ltd.
    Anderson Williamson Ltd.
    Celtic Asbestos
    OHSS
    Chris Mee Group
    Harriongton
    Ayrton

If a mod wants to remove the list and let the OP just google companies that’s fine with me. I’ve presumed it’s not against the rules as I'm listing all the companies I know, not just one.
    Cool thanks, any of them serve Co Limerick by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Cool thanks, any of them serve Co Limerick by any chance?

A lot of them cover the whole country I think. You’ll have to google and contact them yourself.

Advertisement