Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new job with department of agriculture and location

• 12-08-2019 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a family member who recently started a job with the department of agriculture as an AO. he is having some issues with work and he said that he is based in a certain factory at the moment and that for new starters they have to stay there for 2 years but this seems strange to me. has anyone else heard of that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

duffysfarm wrote: »
    I was talking to a family member who recently started a job with the department of agriculture as an AO. he is having some issues with work and he said that he is based in a certain factory at the moment and that for new starters they have to stay there for 2 years but this seems strange to me. has anyone else heard of that?

That's correct and applies for all posts in the civil service.
    He should apply for mobility now and get in line. Details in the peoplepoint portal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Every job has terms and conditions and a probationary period, that’s what you sign up to in your contract of employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

He will be on probation for one year at least.( perhaps 2)
    His time clock and work/demeanor will be monitored during this time by his supervisor , and a PMDS assessment will be carried out at 3, 6 ,9 and 12 months.
    After this term, he/she will either be made permanent, or let go.

If your relative is already permanent, then I'm not sure what terms are applied.
    If they are on probation, they cannot apply for a move...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 elneenio

Hi folks,

Might not be the right thread but I have seen that the mobility scheme for AOs and HEOS is open from the 18th of January. Agriculture in Celbridge would be close to me but does anyone know if they have any IT staff based in Celbridge. I know infrastructure IT staff are in Kildare street but not sure if any IT or dev staff are located in Celbridge.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before considering my mobility options.

Thanks

Celbridge is the Lab. Complex (and farm) at Backweston, there are IT staff in the Labs, for sure, dunno about how many HEO posts are there but seems to the general consensus that a good number of retirements are coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 elneenio

Thanks Nekarsulm , yea i knew the State Labs were there but i thought the State Labs was different organisation then Agriculture, or does Ag have its own labs there too

Now, theres a question!

Dept Ag labs are the primary labs, as far as I know.
    Nice looking campus to work in, from the sections I've been in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

elneenio wrote: »
    Thanks Nekarsulm , yea i knew the State Labs were there but i thought the State Labs was different organisation then Agriculture, or does Ag have its own labs there too

The Central Veterinary Laboratory, which is DAFM, is in Backweston.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1 natasa77

Thanks for the info about Nekarsulm

. I was aware of the presence of State Labs, but I had initially thought they were a separate organization from Agriculture. Are there independent laboratories specifically for Agriculture in that location, or do the State Labs also cover agricultural testing and research? Just looking to clarify the organizational structure in the area. Appreciate your insights!

Advertisement