Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance and Hong Kong stirkes

• 12-08-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hey there

Flying into Hong Kong in a month and I'm worried about the strikes/protests.

I'm looking to buy travel insurance and noticed this in the document:

Not covered: claims arising directly or indirectly from:
    a) strike or industrial action existing or being publicly announced by the
    date you purchased this insurance
    or at the time of booking any trip.

Does this mean that technically as strikes/disruptions have been announced (protests have been going on for 10 weeks now) that I wouldn't be covered?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Couldn't be more black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

So yes - covered, or no - not covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

If the flight cancellations are lifted tomorrow, then how can we know that there will be cancellations when I fly? i.e. it will be covered, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

The events in Hong Kong are happening now, so you are aware of them; if you purchase insurance now and it turns out those events are still ongoing at the time of your trip, then your claim may be denied based on that.

That said, what is going on in Hong Kong would likely not be considered a "strike or industrial action"; it is a mass protest and would likely fall under the category of "civil unrest" or similar, which is almost certain to be entirely excluded from any travel insurance policy, so the timing of your insurance policy purchase is likely moot in this case. (And if things should escalate there, well, causes such as civil war and military hostilities will most definitely be excluded as well...).

Advertisement