Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8 month old Synology DS918+ won't power on

• 12-08-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, bought a new nas 8 months back. Working fine up until Saturday when I found it was off. No power cut had happened so thought maybe one of the kids messing.

Anyway went to switch it back on and nothing. Power brick is showing a green light so nothing wrong there.

Strange thing is the Eir router was also showing problems. It was still on, can still connect to the wifi but no internet connection. Talked to a neighbour on the same network and they haven't had any problems so I swapped out the router with an older model from Eir and voila, internet access is back.

Wasn't home at the time but my sister in law who was said there was a lot of lightening when we were out. Seems very coincidental.

Any ideas how to fix this without invalidating warranty? I've contacted the company I bought off, just waiting to hear back from them but any insight appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

DamoKen wrote: »
    Hi, bought a new nas 8 months back. Working fine up until Saturday when I found it was off. No power cut had happened so thought maybe one of the kids messing.

Anyway went to switch it back on and nothing. Power brick is showing a green light so nothing wrong there.

Strange thing is the Eir router was also showing problems. It was still on, can still connect to the wifi but no internet connection. Talked to a neighbour on the same network and they haven't had any problems so I swapped out the router with an older model from Eir and voila, internet access is back.

Wasn't home at the time but my sister in law who was said there was a lot of lightening when we were out. Seems very coincidental.

Any ideas how to fix this without invalidating warranty? I've contacted the company I bought off, just waiting to hear back from them but any insight appreciated.

Thanks
    Green light on the brick not necessary mean all OK. Multi meter or another PSU would tell more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There is speculation that Apollo Lake chips were also LPC Failure vulnerable. That means after a certain amount of use they just croke. The more use the more likely.

If you look up the updated specs for a J3455 (your CPU) it includes the LPC flaw and mitigation (no fix).

Old stock may not have the mitigation, or Syn may not have bothered.

Come across this interesting vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWH0ZOCyW8s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Apologies for the late reply. My notifications for the thread weren't working for some reason and haven't been on the last few days.

Interesting vid and I had thought the power supply might be at fault. Didn't have a multi-meter to hand and to be honest as the unit is only 8 months old I'd be concerned I'd mess up the warranty. I contacted Komplett and they've been pretty helpful. An RMA was approved more or less straight away so decided to go that route.

Removed my drives obviously and I hope it will be a quick turnaround.

In the meantime would I be able to access the drives via my pc? They're configured in raid 1 so just copies of each other. Nas is Synology so guessing I'd need DSM on a VM, if that's possible?

Or is there a simpler way?

You should be able to read data from Ubuntu or any Linux based OS, however, not sure if you can safely work on disk(s) without risk to mess up you RAID config metadata. Usually it is used to recover/transfer data, when rebuilding RAID within NAS is no longer option.

One more thing. I hope you have marked disks while removed them as it might/will need to go back in same order as it was in original NAS.
    https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General_Setup/How_to_migrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_6_0_and_later
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/How_do_I_identify_the_drives_on_my_Synology_NAS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbfrx0zgTFg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Two days after I read the original post, my 3 year-old DS415+ became unstable and started hanging.

I managed to get the important business stuff backed up. I sync to the cloud once a day, so there wasn't much to do, but then it fell over.

Initially it was spitting out errors about 1 bad sector in drive 4. Drive 2 had a bad hair day ... sorry bad sector :rolleyes:, about a year ago. The drives were all WD Red 3TB, which I seem to recall from a post a couple of years ago from ED_E are not the greatest. But come on ... it's only a single bad sector! I used to have 5.25" floppies with many many bad hair days! :D

Anyway, it wasn't the drives ... I eventually had the Blinking Blue Light of Death ... Le motherboard est mort. :(

You should be able to read data from Ubuntu or any Linux based OS, however, not sure if you can safely work on disk(s) without risk to mess up you RAID config metadata. Usually it is used to recover/transfer data, when rebuilding RAID within NAS is no longer option.

One more thing. I hope you have marked disks while removed them as it might/will need to go back in same order as it was in original NAS.
    https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General_Setup/How_to_migrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_6_0_and_later
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/How_do_I_identify_the_drives_on_my_Synology_NAS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbfrx0zgTFg

No I didn't mark them :(. I had read on another forum when I was researching accessing the data that the order didn't matter so totally confused now. I'll take a look at the links later but think it's going to be a case of 50/50 when I reinsert. If the order is that important maybe accessing via Ubuntu and copying to a pc is the best option even if it does mess up the raid meta data. Would rather format the drives and start from scratch than lose the data down to something as stupid as putting them in in the wrong order.

Question now is do I have room on the pc? :rolleyes:

Quick update: RMA'd back to Komplett and replacement was approved same day of receipt so new order I'm told is being processed. Very happy with Customer support if that's the case.

Concern is reinserting the drives as without thinking I didn't label when I pulled them. According to Komplett support a synology nas should issue a warning if they are inserted in the wrong order but they were unsure if damage could occur in this scenario.

I've raised a ticket with Synology looking for advice but two days on and not even a receipt email to acknowledge it so not looking hopeful there.

So, question is how do I back up? From what I've read I should be able to mount a drive via Linux, need to do a bit of reading up regarding running it on Windows but confident enough I'll work that out.

What I am a bit unsure of is the best way to connect the a drive to the pc. Can I just power via the pc psu and connect direct to the motherboard or could this damage the raid? Lot of forums would suggest this is ok but haven't come across any clear guidelines.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Further update: A pleasant surprise was waiting for me in my inbox this morning. Despite not getting an acknowledgement of a ticket raised I did get a helpful reply from Synology.

Thought it might be helpful to post it in case anyone finds themselves doing something dumb like removing the drives without labelling them the way I did.
    Synology wrote:
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting Synology.

In most cases you can simply insert your drives into the replacement unit, connect and perform a migration. The drive order is more for if there are any issues this can help us when we are trying to remount your volume but inserting them in the incorrect order should not affect the data.
    The migration will simply install some files onto the new NAS to get it up to speed.
    All of your data will remain intact.

However, if you get the message in the link below, please stop the process and let me know.
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/How_to_migrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_5_0_and_later

In regards to connecting the drives to your PC to backup the data this should not be required but if you wish to do so you can follow the below guide, please be aware that we would be unable to assist with this:
    https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Advertisement