Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places outside Cork Cory centre with good transport links?

Options
  • 12-08-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are moving to Cork in September as we are both starting in UCC. Time is ticking and there does not seem to be much in the way of accommodation. We’re hoping to rent a room in a shared house.

My question is what suburbs or even nearby towns would have good public transport links to the city centre? Thinking to cast the net wider than just city centre and hopefully there will be more options. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Title should obviously say Cork CITY centre! Mods feel free to fix that...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are moving to Cork in September as we are both starting in UCC. Time is ticking and there does not seem to be much in the way of accommodation. We’re hoping to rent a room in a shared house.

My question is what suburbs or even nearby towns would have good public transport links to the city centre? Thinking to cast the net wider than just city centre and hopefully there will be more options. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Title should obviously say Cork CITY centre! Mods feel free to fix that...

Ballincollig? Not too far from UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Ballincollig a good option, 24-hour bus route (220), which passes along Western Road, near UCC. There are also cycle lanes along much of the route.

Cork is small: you could also look in Ballyphehane, Wilton or Togher, all less than 30 minutes' walk from UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

You will hear scare stories here about busses and cycling. In reality its not that bad at all, don't let being a little out from the city centre put you off.

Maybe post some links to places here, if you dont know the area etc people might be able to give their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Unless you particularly want to be outside the city, there is no real advantage in renting outside the city.
    Unlike Dublin, city centre doesn't really attract a premium price.
    You should be able to find somewhere within a 25 minute walk of UCC easily.

Also look a Ballyphehane, Turner's Cross, Togher, Glasheen, Wilton, The Lough and anywhere in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Unless you particularly want to be outside the city, there is no real advantage in renting outside the city.
    Unlike Dublin, city centre doesn't really attract a premium price.
    You should be able to find somewhere within a 25 minute walk of UCC easily.

Also look a Ballyphehane, Turner's Cross, Togher, Glasheen, Wilton, The Lough and anywhere in the centre.

We would rather be in the city centre but applying the +1 person feature on Daft really limits the results (people don’t wanna live with couples- go figure!) so we’re trying to cast the net as wide as possible. And from checking out Ballincollig, it does seem a good deal cheaper. Thanks to whoever suggested it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Ballincollig is a good spot. Good services and restaurants there. Regional park is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

(people don’t wanna live with couples- go figure!).

People don't want to live with two people who are paying the same rent as one person. I get that.
    I had lodgers in my house for years. The only way a couple was ever moving into my house was if they paid for two rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

People don't want to live with two people who are paying the same rent as one person. I get that.
    I had lodgers in my house for years. The only way a couple was ever moving into my house was if they paid for two rooms.

Yep I totally get it too, tbh. Makes it a pain in the arse for us to find somewhere to rent though.

Thing is I only have lectures Monday to Wednesday and I'll be keeping my job in Limerick so I'll only be there for half of the week, so it'll only be sharing with a couple part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Yep I totally get it too, tbh. Makes it a pain in the arse for us to find somewhere to rent though.

Thing is I only have lectures Monday to Wednesday and I'll be keeping my job in Limerick so I'll only be there for half of the week, so it'll only be sharing with a couple part time.

I have been part of a house share where we allowed a couple to come in.

The room was advertised at 600 but we agreed that it should be 800 to accommodate the second person. Plus it brought down bills.

It's hit and miss though.

Advertisement