Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Outlook and Eircom.net emails

Options
  • 12-08-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I’m using Microsoft Outlook for my emails. I have an eircom.net email address and use a pop3 server (webmail.eir.ie Port 110) to receive my emails. Vodafone is my ISP and I use the Vodafone server for outgoing emails. All worked fine until last week when I couldn’t receive any more emails (using the eir server). I can send them (via the Vodafone server). I contacted eir and they unsurprisingly won’t help as Vodafone is my ISP. Vodafone won’t help as they don’t support an email service.
    Is there any way I can continue to use the eircom.net email address in Outlook without switching my ISP back to eir? Is is possible to use one of my other email accounts eg: Yahoo, to access the Eircom.net emails via Outlook?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

What error message do you get when attempting to send / receive in Outlook for your incoming mail? To confirm, settings are:

Account Type: POP3
    Server: webmail.eircom.net / webmail.eir.ie
    Server Port: 110
    Required Authentication Yes, Email account Username and Password
    SSL/TLS: Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mcardler

The error is "receiving reported error (0x800CCOF). The connection to the server was interrupted". My settings are as per your Post above. Thanks.

That error is common when another source is interfering, most likely your AV. Disable your AV temporarily and try again.

Tried turning off AV but still can't receive emails from the eir server.

What is the AV that you are using?

• Advertisement

Norton - I tried turning off the email protection. The new error is 0x8004210A - no response from the server

Something is likely corrupt or non functioning in Norton, I highly recommend doing a full uninstall of it first and confirm your Outlook connection is working aferwards. Then once it's up and running, you can do a reinstall of it, it should then notice your email configuation and not block it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mine works fine but I have Required Authentication & SSL/TLS: set to NO (as in unticked)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Just uninstalled Norton AV and still have same problem - receiving only - various error messages relating to timing-out of the server. I can actually access the incoming message by logging on to eir webmail via their website but this is a slow, antiquated system and certainly not practical even in the shorter term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Your issue is not AV related.

Have you unticked Required Authentication & SSL/TLS in Outlook settings?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Unticked

So I can't access the incoming eir server. Is there a way for me to have these emails redirected to another eg: gmail account so I can access them there - in other words can I still use the eircom.net email address but have the emails delivered to my gmail account?

mcardler wrote: »
    So I can't access the incoming eir server. Is there a way for me to have these emails redirected to another eg: gmail account so I can access them there - in other words can I still use the eircom.net email address but have the emails delivered to my gmail account?
    Yes and its the best option as Gmails spam filter is the best you can use (as well as the simple fast web interface) and Outlook has it's own issues.

1. Go to https://www.eir.ie/email/ and sign into your Eircom account.
    2. Click Preferences > Mail > Receiving Messages
    3. In here, fill in your Gmail address under "Forward a copy to"
    4. Tick the box for "Don't keep a local copy of messages"
    5. Then click Save up the top left of the screen and your done.
    6. Confirm this by sending your Eircom email a test message from Gmail.

6vevboQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

You could try mozilla thunderbird . Can you access the server via eircom webmail?

Unfortunately I'm nor clever enough to post a screenshot of the eir webpage here, but when I login to eir webmail I get nothing like you are showing above - it looks like an antiquated email system
    https://www.eir.ie/email/
    and doesn't show the "preferences" like your screenshot shows above.

I can see now that I am being defaulted to the "classic" version of webmail, nothwithstanding the fact that I'm not ticking the "basic" version box. I guess I'll have to sort this issue out first.

I can see now that I am being defaulted to the "classic" version of webmail, nothwithstanding the fact that I'm not ticking the "basic" version box. I guess I'll have to sort this issue out first.
    The features are still there, you just need to go to Options / Settings and locate the email forwarding option.

Believe it or not but in the Classic version there is only "Preferences" and no forwarding options. As I'm unable to Print Screen, below is a copy and paste of the page under "Preferences".

Your name:

E-mail address:
    xxx@eircom.net
    Reply-to address:

Quota:
    5120 Kbytes
    Number of messages to display when browsing a mail folder:

Number of messages to retrieve when you check mail:

Width of window used to compose messages:

By default, sort messages by:

Prefix used when replying to a message:

Use signature at end of your messages:

Always save a copy of messages you send in Sent folder:

Wrap text in the message area of the compose message window:

Webmail theme:

Signature:

You may need to call Eir to get your account converted to an IMAP one, you seem to be on a legacy POP3 version. You can call them or use the Chat Now option online. They may be able to setup the email forwarding for you - https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/ / 1890 260 260

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Grumpy Cyclist

Having this exact issue also since last week. Took advertsfox advice and set up forwarding to a new email address.

So, you could obviously access the newer version of eir webmail? I spoke to eir’s so called “support” and they wouldn’t help so I still am unable to set-up forwarding. Have opened a new gmail account and now have to inform some 250 contacts of my new email.

So, you could obviously access the newer version of eir webmail? I spoke to eir’s so called “support” and they wouldn’t help so I still am unable to set-up forwarding. Have opened a new gmail account and now have to inform some 250 contacts of my new email.
    Might be the best thing going forward - if you add your Gmail account to your current Outlook, you can copy over your old emails with drag-and-drop into the new Inbox. Also, you can export your contacts to a CSV in Outlook and re-import them to your Gmail from the link below:

*Export*
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/export-outlook-contacts-csv

*Import*
    https://contacts.google.com/ - click Import on bottom left > Select File

Thanks - I guess that eir will soon shut-down webmail completely and the eircom.net email accounts will be redundant.

Can't believe it - at 11am today I start getting emails again through eircom.net - didn't change anything but suddenly it's working again - what is that all about??????/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Can't believe it - at 11am today I start getting emails again through eircom.net - didn't change anything but suddenly it's working again - what is that all about??????/
    Unreliable service. And not first time.

Cary on with forwarding while you can, or move on altogether.

Advertisement