Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Have to wear Golf shoes anymore?

Options
  • 12-08-2019 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

hi all

coming back to the game after a 12yr absence,
    and am just playing a bit of casual short par three and hitting the range a bit

im away for a few days with family and may play nine holes with my father in law, one big thing since i stopped playing is that most the shoes are now basically trainers with good grips and sometimes soft spikes,
    back in my day it was the "spats" the black and white footjoy style shoes
    So long story short, are you required to wear golf shoes by courses anymore? can i just turn up in some simple clean white trainers?
    (i know the grip wont be the same but i dont want to buy shoes at the moment)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’m not aware that there was ever an actual requirement to wear golf shoes. I used to always wear runners as a kid.
    Golf shoes do make a difference though, especially if the ground is a bit wet and slippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

Seve OB wrote: »
    I’m not aware that there was ever an actual requirement to wear golf shoes. I used to always wear runners as a kid.
    Golf shoes do make a difference though, especially if the ground is a bit wet and slippy

thanks, when i used to play i'm pretty sure you were required to wear shoes
    (or maybe it was just the done thing)
    back then the trainer style golf shoes that are everywhere now didn't exist,
    it was the more formal looking shoes that were the norm.
    Actually everything was more formal then anyway

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Most golf clubs have their Dress Code online and usually includes footwear. So if you know where you will be playing then the info might be on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You usually don't wear the same shoes on the course as in the bar. That's typically the only differentiation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

paulos53 wrote: »
    Most golf clubs have their Dress Code online and usually includes footwear. So if you know where you will be playing then the info might be on their website
    Anything I've seen lately has been a ban on spikes (the old metal ones). I have a pair of Adidas golf shoes which are of the spikeless variety. Look exactly like trainers and the only difference is the grips. They're not great in the wet though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement