Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm stored in car boot.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've watched videos on Youtube, not sure if its a channel or just random videos, where lads that call themselves "2nd Amendment Checkers" go around their own states with firearms openly carried. It's legal and above board, but it doesn't even take a leftist loony to draw attention. The cops don't appreciate this.

I've seen lads that support the police arguing against the cops actions of stopping these people. It seems contradictory to support the police then lambast them for stopping someone exercising their Right.

There was one particular video where two guys carrying semi autos on their back, and side arms, entered a cop shop to "check the station" for 2nd amendment violations. They were greeted by multiple officers all with their firearms drawn and bellowing commands to get down and drop the guns. To me this is just excessive. They were arrested, charged and convicted and lost their appeal. So even with open carry and 2nd amendment rights they were still charged.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Cass wrote: »
    Eh, no.

There are multiple parts of ALL the firearm Acts and even a few in the 1990 offensive weapons act that says possession of an article/firearm/weapon in public without just cause or reasonable excuse is an offence and the prosecutor does not need to show intent only that people were alarmed and felt threatened/intimidated.

Also it's just asking for trouble.

In America where they have a 2nd amendment and some states have open carry laws people have tried to push this Right to the limit and have been arrested and even shot for it. So doing it in a country where the gun laws are tighter than a Frog's ass is never going to be acceptable. Condition on your license or not.

Apologies for the lack of clarity. I'm taking about carrying it in a sensible manner down a country road when walking or cycling to your next permission.

Does it have to be covered in such a case?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its not always practiced and before this SI there was a common sense approach to how to do it.

If you are, as you say, walking a short distance to you other permission then most lads wouldn't bother casing it, but would have it broken or made safe and "covered" by your side. Some others would have a soft case and put it in the case even for short trips.

This SI addresses what to do when transporting it, but transporting by its definition means using a vehicle, aircraft, ship, etc.

This is yet another reason why i say this SI is unworkable.

The best approach is to have a soft case, possibly the one you use to cover the firearm on the initial trip to the permission(s), and use it between permissions. Or stay on your permission and if they border each other stay off the public roads.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd apply this logic. When going from field to field with the gun across ditches/gates etc., I wouldn't bother casing it but if I was going on the public road between fields, then yes, I'd case it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'd apply this logic. When going from field to field with the gun across ditches/gates etc., I wouldn't bother casing it but if I was going on the public road between fields, then yes, I'd case it.

Well I wont argue the law with you but I for one will not be bringing a gunslip with me when I am going for a shot on Sunday afternoons.
    I will be engaging in my lawful sport as I have done for nearly 30 years without any issue. If a garda wants to summons me for walking up the road from my farm to the house then I will have to deal with that if it occurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Well I wont argue the law with you but I for one will not be bringing a gunslip with me when I am going for a shot on Sunday afternoons.
    I will be engaging in my lawful sport as I have done for nearly 30 years without any issue. If a garda wants to summons me for walking up the road from my farm to the house then I will have to deal with that if it occurs

Quiet rural road, 99% guaranteed no problem.

Through a well populated urban area, then 99% guaranteed a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Quiet rural road, 99% guaranteed no problem.

Through a well populated urban area, then 99% guaranteed a problem.

I am pig headed not stupid ::D

but yes show commonsense and there should be no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    Very brave, or foolhardy thing to do in America.

Yup..I enjoyed open carry in AZ.No ne ever batted an eye about it going into shopping centres,before the "Free FIRE with no return fire ever" zones...AKA GUN FREE ZONE idiocy started. Funny to read what some of the keyboard warrior antis claim they would do if they saw open carry.Mace the carrier and take their gun and arrest them.No youu wouldnt,as that is a unprovoked attack on that person,and they could respond with deadly force on your idiot ass.
    The most annoying for the anyis is,that it has been introduced in Florida over 25 years ago,it has worked!!

Even this week,some idiot got into his kevelar and tooled up with an AR 15 and decided he was going to see would WAL MART "respect" his open carry rights. He was arrested at gunpoint by an off duty fireman with a concealed carry permit.Utter plonker , he could have just stucj on his pistol in a belt holster and found out the same effect instead of kitting up like he was on the next chopper to some firebase in Iraq.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yup..I enjoyed open carry in AZ.No ne ever batted an eye about it going into shopping centres,before the "Free FIRE with no return fire ever" zones...AKA GUN FREE ZONE idiocy started. Funny to read what some of the keyboard warrior antis claim they would do if they saw open carry.Mace the carrier and take their gun and arrest them.No youu wouldnt,as that is a unprovoked attack on that person,and they could respond with deadly force on your idiot ass.
    The most annoying for the anyis is,that it has been introduced in Florida over 25 years ago,it has worked!!

Even this week,some idiot got into his kevelar and tooled up with an AR 15 and decided he was going to see would WAL MART "respect" his open carry rights. He was arrested at gunpoint by an off duty fireman with a concealed carry permit.Utter plonker , he could have just stucj on his pistol in a belt holster and found out the same effect instead of kitting up like he was on the next chopper to some firebase in Iraq.:rolleyes:

Yeah, some Americans seem to have very good attitudes and common sense with firearms, then you get the fundamentalists..............

Advertisement