Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I rarely pay much attention to individual usernames but Permabear is a name that still ires my arse to this day. I suppose he achieved what he set out to since so many are in the same boat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Look at us all bonding and having a bitch

giphy.gif

What are we going to talk about at the beers now though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There's another poster who I suspect is a fantasist who's starting to jump the shark as well. Learn from the bear man, keep things grounded and realistic.

It's me isn't it?
    Clearly, it's me!
    I knew I'd gone too bloody far :P

What was it that tipped me over the credibility threshold? :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I remember heading out west with a gang from a private forum. Must be nearly 6 years ago now. One of them is still a mod here, and one other has posted in this thread, but I've no idea where the others have all gone! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'd like to see myself get back into posting more regularly. I really improved my use of language during my heyday here on boards. The ability to compose a well constructed and thorough post has many benefits which loop back into other aspects of life away from t'internet.

It helped me too. I blog anonymously about cancer (to be released to my loved ones after I’m gone) and have a linked Twitter account so that I could connect to others in my predicament. I was surprised how quickly I amassed a lot of followers and I think my messageboard experience helped a great deal. I learned how to succinct.

She had four accounts going at the same time. So bizarre. Like a full time troll.

There a few similar multi-accounters pulling the same stroke at the moment.
    And likely with VPN and Lithium software taking care of keeping track of them too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

banie01 wrote: »
    It's me isn't it?
    Clearly, it's me!
    I knew I'd gone too bloody far :P

What was it that tipped me over the credibility threshold? :pac:

You've been rumbled banie, it's the 01 in your username that ruins the credibility.

I don’t know if El Dangeroso still posts but she was great. She was so knowledgeable about weight loss and how to sustain it and spoke from experience. She was never condescending about it.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You've been rumbled banie, it's the 01 in your username that ruins the credibility.

Would ya believe that the actual and totally true reason for the 01...

Is that there are millions of siblings, we are all nicknamed Banie and I just want to be clear that I'm the eldest! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Look at us all bonding and having a bitch

giphy.gif

Look like a load of evil halloween pumpkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I admit, I mostly bought into Permabear's lies. Seemed completely batsh*t nonsense, but at the same time anytime I saw him questioned on how he made his money or his job in general, I hadn't a clue what he was talking about, but also didn't know nearly enough to challenge any of it so I assumed it must be true.

Biggins though, now there was a man whose posts were straight-up bullsh*t of the highest order from the get-go. Like how he claimed a bunch of celebrities were at his wedding, when really he had his wedding near a sci-fi convention and then they went and got pictures taken at the convention. Or being a highly trained security operative. Or... pretty much anything he ever said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There's a few old school fellas and ladies I'd like to see back for a bit of banter.

Starbelgade, had me bent in two laughing at times.

Mikom, never a poster since has compared to his lighting fast dry wit comeback and one liner retorts, - golden poster.

Whoops, met her in person at a few beers, sound as.

Larianne (I think) used to have a thunder cat avatar, met her at a beers also, dead sound lady.

Mickey Dolonez, man he used to love the ban hammer, was known to go on ban sprees, met him in person, nice lad.

DannieMcQ -sound lad, shared a few pints with him in the past.

Backwards man, had his moments of fun, but woe betide of you and his opinions differed.

There's a few more will come to mind no doubt after I hit the submit button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Not sure if he has been mentioned but DJ Spider.

Now there was an out and out headbanger. The thread he started in the dome after getting banned from the tattoo forum was epic.

Started with the intention of flaming the mod who banned him it back fired and he got owned in a way I have never seen since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember when I first started looking at boards prob back in like 2004/2005 there was some youngfella called Sparky or something like that who was quite popular? Anyone remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Anyone remember when he was posting about his wedding plans and someone dared to ask him where the venue was and he lost the plot, and said he wouldn’t be informing anyone about the venue in case we showed up and robbed his ultra high net wealthy guests. No joke.
    I wouldn’t mind but it was him drip feeding all this info that no one even asked for.

Ahh good times. Tis almost all out of my system now.

This Perma lad sounds like a right loon.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »

I found WhiteWashMan appalling in the way he spoke to people. There's a Stockholm Syndrome about some old guard posters though. Ditto Scofflaw. How can people be ok with such sneeriness? And as for The Corinthian... best I say nothing other than WHAT a woman hater.
    I don't think Scofflaw was sneery, or was no worse than the standard level of sneeriness on political forums. That 'cordially, Scofflaw' sign-off was a bit unnecessary, mind you; and it gets a bit tiresome when somebody's default position is to defend any criticism of the European Union or its institutions, no matter how mild the criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Backwards man, had his moments of fun, but woe betide of you and his opinions differed.
    Could not stand his posts. So contrarian for a reaction, so full of insults, acted like he was about 80, whatabouter extraordinaire. If an Islamist atrocity occurred he'd immediately deflect from it yet never shut up about republican paramilitarism - surely all terrorism deserves condemnation.

People were fooled by his "Ah shur I'm just an eejit from the bog" schtick but eventually people saw through it.

And his PMs were not the good kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This Perma lad sounds like a right loon.

He was just on the right side of normal to lead people to initially read his posts with interest.

If you were a new member or only an intermittent user you'd think they were a decent provider but when you saw the narrative come together over an extended period of time, it started to unravel. That posters main downfall was the career they portrayed did not allay with the image gleaned from the frequency and content of their posts. Once you started to doubt it, you started to see holes everywhere. I was reading their posts for the last few months before they absconded just to see how well they were doing in terms of keeping it all together.

I wonder how many other similar posters are there who manage to divulge just enough to keep the facade going. (AvB aside as I think that account was always intended to be a parody)

I liked Snowy. He was very obviously dyslexic and handled it very well when someone had a go at his spelling. He rarely got mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What was the name of the female poster who had a dream that she has been touched as a kid then went on to convince herself that it must be true? She completely lost it a few years ago and decided that all men were evil.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What was the name of the female poster who had a dream that she has been touched as a kid then went on to convince herself that it must be true? She completely lost it a few years ago and decided that all men were evil.

Midlandsmissus? Though I think she talked of being assaulted in real life.

That 'cordially, Scofflaw' sign-off was a bit unnecessary, mind you.

I don't remember Scofflaw but there was a poster a few years back who started every. single. reply with "I have read your post." Well, yeah, genius, that's kind of a given.

It used to irk me beyond all reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Could not stand his posts. So contrarian for a reaction, so full of insults, acted like he was about 80, whatabouter extraordinaire. If an Islamist atrocity occurred he'd immediately deflect from it yet never shut up about republican paramilitarism - surely all terrorism deserves condemnation.

People were fooled by his "Ah shur I'm just an eejit from the bog" schtick but eventually people saw through it.

And his PMs were not the good kind.

If only his dog would open a boards account, I'm sure it could tell some yarns :cool:

I don't believe the Backwards Man would have entertained any notion that he was an "eejit" or that there is any link to be made between being a culchie and being stupid. That's all on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I don't remember Scofflaw but there was a poster a few years back who started every. single. reply with "I have read your post." Well, yeah, genius, that's kind of a given.

It used to irk me beyond all reason.

Scofflaw was iirc the poster who used to post in the following signature in every post

Jovially
    -Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I remember heading out west with a gang from a private forum. Must be nearly 6 years ago now. One of them is still a mod here, and one other has posted in this thread, but I've no idea where the others have all gone! :eek:

I rented a house for a weekend on Inis Oírr with a group of about 13/14 boardsies maybe 8/9 years ago. At least two of them turned up without having met anyone before. One of them was Wazdakka (sp?). He lost his sh*t on the first night and had a fight with everyone and left on the first boat the next morning. Good times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

ELM327 wrote: »
    Scofflaw was iirc the poster who used to post in the following signature in every post

Jovially
    -Scofflaw

I love the 'Jovially' :D
    The only poster I ever put on ignore and just because his sign off annoyed me so much

Mickey Dolonez, man he used to love the ban hammer, was known to go on ban sprees, met him in person, nice lad.

Not so much when you get to know him :p
    I liked Snowy. He was very obviously dyslexic and handled it very well when someone had a go at his spelling. He rarely got mad.

Snowy's a great lad! He PM'd me after I started a thread about dogging years ago :pac: turns out we were from the same area and knew a lot of the same people. Became good friends for quite a while but have lost touch over the years. He invited me to his wedding a couple of years ago but I couldn't go. Must give him a shout :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm sorry to be always talking about him on this thread, but I really did find PB psychologically fascinating once you'd pieced it together that it was all nonsense. I'm sure there's other posters on here who have concocted elements of their bio or persona out of thin air, but no-one has kept such a sustained and elaborate fantasy life going to the extent that he did.

I still don't fully know whether he was a troll or a fantasist. Primarily, I think he probably was a Walter Mitty - the level of depth and detail the man went into detailing his fantasy life makes me think that this was someone who wanted to believe that this was his life. The tantrums he used to throw when someone attempted to lift the veil were indicative, to me, of how maintaining the facade was always priority number one.

I don't know if he was even strictly speaking a troll. I don't know if his motivation was to just wind people up - I think it was actually something a bit more malevolent: I think he wanted to deceive people. I'm sure there were people here that took his opinions and alleged "expertise" at face value. After all, he always wrote so well and was usually calm, somewhat respectful and polite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

josip wrote: »
    I love the 'Jovially' :D
    The only poster I ever put on ignore and just because his sign off annoyed me so much
    He'd always add something like "amusedly" or "bemused" or "calmly" etc .

I thought it was funny, always pictured him as a wealthy man from the 1800's in a tuxedo and top hat using the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That post was deleted by the soccer mods as they felt it was being brought up to often.

It was a thing of beauty and deserved to be brought up often.

Ah I cant believe they deleted Pilsbury Doughboys final post, I dont think a single post has ever made me laugh so much. It was the context of it too with the tension and constant arguments on the Liverpool thread while the team was playing awful. That and it was New Years Day and he wanted a fresh start. His final post just cut through all the crap and arguments and gave everyone a great laugh on the first day of the year. Does anyone have a screenshot of it? It defintely needs preservation
    Starbelgrade was probably the wittiest person I’ve ever seen on this board. Absolutely razor sharp.

Yeah starbelgrade had some sense of wit. Mickey Dolenz great craic too.

Is there anyway to search through a posters posts ranked by 'Most thanked', there would be some absolute gems by starbelgrade in there.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there anyway to search through a posters posts ranked by 'Most thanked', there would be some absolute gems by starbelgrade in there.

It's easily done on active accounts, not on closed accounts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I learned how to succinct.

By leaving out words? :D
    One of them was Wazdakka (sp?). He lost his sh*t on the first night and had a fight with everyone and left on the first boat the next morning. Good times :D

Ah Wazza, ha ha! Had forgotten about him. Met him at a few beers over the years and found him to be great craic.

Arghus wrote: »
    I still don't fully know whether he was a troll or a fantasist. Primarily, I think he probably was a Walter Mitty - the level of depth and detail the man went into detailing his fantasy life makes me think that this was someone who wanted to believe that this was his life. The tantrums he used to throw when someone attempted to lift the veil were indicative, to me, of how maintaining the facade was always priority number one.

Oh I don't believe for a second that he was doing it to troll. I think he more or less believed his own rubbish. And he wanted it to be true. He so desperately needed everyone else to believe it in order to bolster his own belief. Which is why he got so nasty whenever anyone cast doubt on him - it threatened to upset his entire invented sense of self.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I rented a house for a weekend on Inis Oírr with a group of about 13/14 boardsies maybe 8/9 years ago. At least two of them turned up without having met anyone before. One of them was Wazdakka (sp?). He lost his sh*t on the first night and had a fight with everyone and left on the first boat the next morning. Good times :D

Aw, that sounds unreal. Inis Oírr is my happy place. :D Always funny when too many people turn up for one of those get-togethers. :pac:
    I don't know if he was even strictly speaking a troll. I don't know if his motivation was to just wind people up - I think it was actually something a bit more malevolent: I think he wanted to deceive people. I'm sure there were people here that took his opinions and alleged "expertise" at face value. After all, he always wrote so well and was usually calm, somewhat respectful and polite.

PB was an expert in knowing how to search for sources that made him sound like an actual expert. He tried it on in the Gaeilge forum towards the end, and it was abundantly obvious that he was trawling Google for keywords that suited his argument. Then he'd shift the goalposts and try to "win" by countering with a slightly different argument. I'd say he'd make a tremendous opponent in a game of chess.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ah I cant believe they deleted Pilsbury Doughboys final post, I dont think a single post has ever made me laugh so much. It was the context of it too with the tension and constant arguments on the Liverpool thread while the team was playing awful. That and it was New Years Day and he wanted a fresh start. His final post just cut through all the crap and arguments and gave everyone a great laugh on the first day of the year. Does anyone have a screenshot of it? It defintely needs preservation

Probably the greatest signing off in the history of Boards. I'm not even a Liverpool fan and was entirely ignorant of what led up to the post, but, even I had to thank it because it was such an epic meltdown, but carried off with such conviction and flair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Gonna go against the grain and say I thought Scofflaw was a decent poster. The sig thing was a bit repetitive, yeah, but I actually felt it was a good way to make the tone more corial in politics, which was always such a heated place.

There's a slim possibility PB is a shill as well, one of those who try to edge the Overton window ever further open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The most realistic thing about Permabear was that he went from being a libertarian militant atheist to a Trump defender whp flirted with religion.

PB was an expert in knowing how to search for sources that made him sound like an actual expert. He tried it on in the Gaeilge forum towards the end, and it was abundantly obvious that he was trawling Google for keywords that suited his argument. Then he'd shift the goalposts and try to "win" by countering with a slightly different argument. I'd say he'd make a tremendous opponent in a game of chess.

I'll give him credit for that. He was extremely resourceful and adept at trawling the internet quickly to find material to suit and raise his argument and it would probably help him get through most debates, but if you were able to see through his copy and paste, he'd shift the goalposts slightly - and if that didn't work he'd disappear or get mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Probably the greatest signing off in the history of Boards. I'm not even a Liverpool fan and was entirely ignorant of what led up to the post, but, even I had to thank it because it was such an epic meltdown, but carried off with such conviction and flair.

For those who haven't seen it and can no longer due to GDPR.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93648488&postcount=786

Sincere thanks to Jesus Wept for quoting this at the time and preserving it for future generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Wheeliebin30. Wow what an angry poster :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Sincere thanks to Jesus Wept for quoting this at the time and preserving it for future generations.

The sign off at the end of his post - brilliant :D

That's the one. I think there was another closing gif of Kenny Powers giving everyone the finger and fireworks exploding in the background.

It is doubly funny to think he died on a hill for Brendan Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's easily done on active accounts, not on closed accounts though.

Yeah just tried looking up starbelgrade's old posts but they are all gone sadly. He really had a remarkable sense of wit

Ah thanks josip, you've made my day.

Au Revoir Le cocksuckers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Slideways wrote: »
    Not sure if he has been mentioned but DJ Spider.

Now there was an out and out headbanger. The thread he started in the dome after getting banned from the tattoo forum was epic.

Started with the intention of flaming the mod who banned him it back fired and he got owned in a way I have never seen since.

I met him at a few of the beers back in the day, crikey :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

PinotNero wrote: »
    Wheeliebin30. Wow what an angry poster :eek:

Any article on the Journal about social welfare etc has a guy posting using the exact same language Mr Wheeliebin used here, with his real name. It's so obvious it's him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did anyone ever meet Permabear in person?
    Or did he ever supposedly leave the USA?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That's the one. I think there was another closing gif of Kenny Powers giving everyone the finger and fireworks exploding in the background.

It is doubly funny to think he died on a hill for Brendan Rodgers.

Not the best choice of hill to choose to die on but he died with a smile on his face and a Kenny Powers gif playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Since its changed to boardsies you would prefer to have never existed...wasn't that paedo journalist a frequent AH poster?

Is that the sports journalist? How did people know it was him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I found him fascinating more than I actually liked him. Way too preoccupied with turning everything into gender wars.
    I was a little similar though, tbh, I agreed with a lot of his views on third-wave feminism. He seemed very knowledgeable on history though and I enjoyed those aspects of his posts.
    On Whoopsa - I fear this might get me lynched because everyone seems to love her, but I wasn’t the biggest fan of hers. I found her to be frequently quite subtly passive-aggressive if someone disagreed with her. (and yes I’m aware of my sig)
    Whoops found herself the target of a lot of butthurt from users or trolls she'd banned and was repeatedly doxxed on other sites. I think it's not too surprising that she got a bit snarky towards the end of her time here. Met her a couple of times in the real world and she was lovely.

I know from chatting with Danniemcq that the hassle involved with being a mod on AH was one of the main reasons he's no longer around here (though still active on Reddit). I'd imagine Whoops left for similar (and more extreme) reasons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement