Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: On Permabear, folks, I think that subject is done now. He's not here to defend himself so that subject is finished now.

Buford T. Justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I don't think Scofflaw was sneery, or was no worse than the standard level of sneeriness on political forums. That 'cordially, Scofflaw' sign-off was a bit unnecessary, mind you; and it gets a bit tiresome when somebody's default position is to defend any criticism of the European Union or its institutions, no matter how mild the criticism.

I was convinced that he was either an employee of said EU or his livelihood depended on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is that the sports journalist? How did people know it was him?

Yeah the sports guy. Not sure how it was known, maybe someone better versed in this could answer that one?

I rented a house for a weekend on Inis Oírr with a group of about 13/14 boardsies maybe 8/9 years ago. At least two of them turned up without having met anyone before. One of them was Wazdakka (sp?). He lost his sh*t on the first night and had a fight with everyone and left on the first boat the next morning. Good times :D

I remember him being quite truculent in his posting style.

Was there much riding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I remember him being quite truculent in his posting style.

Was there much riding?

Loads. One big dirty Aran Island orgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Some people think GDPR will help them tippex over anything they've ever posted online. "I have a right to be forgotten".

That's simply not true.

For one thing, GDPR Article 17 can do nothing about people remembering epic posts (as seen in this thread several times).

Also ... there's no solution (as yet) for internet archives like the Wayback Machine that will hold copies of boards threads / pages

Exhibit (a) == a boards.ie page from 2001 talking about cool sigs (random pick)

https://web.archive.org/web/20010211163608/http://www.boards.ie:80/bulletin/Forum1/HTML/001466.html

Exhibit (b) == a more recent boards.ie page talking about GDPR.

I confess, I like this one for the subject matter ... there's a delicious irony in how this site archived posts from a person who was so determined to be forgotten.

https://archive.fo/SF1GS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You'd defintitely miss Padriaag and the adventures of Trent. Just the way that thread goes is beautiful. It was in the Creative Writing forum and after his first few installments the regular posters there were resisting the urge to call him an outright troll. Then the next few instalments of Trents adventures came along and it turned into an absolute barrel of laughs, even when I read it now Im still splitting myself laughing. Plus he gave us the word SKRKK
    SKRRK! SKRRK SKRRK! Somehwere in the distance Trent could hear it. SKRRK! SKRRK! SKRRK! Trent could well remember that noise from the time he was in the army. "I can well remember that noise from the time I was in the army" Trent thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

trout wrote: »
    Some people think GDPR will help them tippex over anything they've ever posted online. "I have a right to be forgotten".
    And you better request from Google, other search engines and archive.org as well! GDPR doesn't let you outrun the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah just tried looking up starbelgrade's old posts but they are all gone sadly. He really had a remarkable sense of wit

You can find them with advanced search.

I wasn't around much on boards when he was here but saw the name mentioned so often in this thread, I looked up some of his posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I used to loved posts from the girl that was completely mental about Garth Brooks, I think at one stage her username was MrsGarthBrooks, she changed her name a few times though, I think she got site banned for fighting with her sister on different forums. It was very entertaining!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Don't mention the war! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

josip wrote: »
    For those who haven't seen it and can no longer due to GDPR.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93648488&postcount=786

Sincere thanks to Jesus Wept for quoting this at the time and preserving it for future generations.

Ah lads. I remember that. So funny. Perfect gif

It reminds me of Glens breakdown from the thick of it or something. Just so furious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There was a poster who used to post in the long running anti-Blind Boy Boat Club thread who I'm 90% certain was Blind Boy. Same arguments, similar turn of phrase, appeared out of nowhere, only posted in that thread, around the same time Blind Boy mentioned internet forums on one of his podcasts...

trout wrote: »

Boards should have listened to my old account there. I made sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I remember heading out west with a gang from a private forum. Must be nearly 6 years ago now. One of them is still a mod here, and one other has posted in this thread, but I've no idea where the others have all gone! :eek:

Sounds like a bunch of creeps anyway.

Total weirdos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I remember heading out west with a gang from a private forum. Must be nearly 6 years ago now. One of them is still a mod here, and one other has posted in this thread, but I've no idea where the others have all gone! :eek:

Sounds like a bunch of creeps anyway.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Total weirdos

Well, that's 3 members of the gang identified anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I must admit I was one of the gullible fools who just kinda accepted Permabear's story. I didn't interrogate it much to be honest, did think aspects of it really quite strange, but strange things do happen. I even PM'd the guy with a financial question one time and he got back to me with lots of information which turned out to be quite helpful!

There was a woman from Texas I think, living in Sligo or somewhere, her posts used to be good if I remember them right. Speedwell.

The Backwards Man was a mixture of entertaining and eye-rollingly dull at times with his shtick. But I admit I did like having him around.

I think I read earlier on the thread that TerrorFirmer is gone, he was very helpful to me this year by PM with the purchase of a computer, so shame he's gone. He knew his stuff.

Then I know this is a bit of an awkward subject, but there a couple of posters on site that are quite elderly and I often find myself wondering, when they stop posting one of these days, as they will, ... well.. that's sad.

Also, it's quite likely that even though I'm here over a decade with over a thousand posts, that if I were to disappear nobody would remember me, know I was gone, or that I was ever even here :o Maybe I should be more outrageous :P:)

Also agree with earlier poster that ILoveYourVibes is aiming for the most-posts title :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Carry wrote: »
    Anyway, some time ago I was wondering where LadyMacbeth has gone. I liked her sense of humour, but I remember she was very ill. Hope she is fine.

I really have to stop talking about CF so much or stop changing my name so my loyal and adoring fans won't think I'm dead :D

Thank you Carry, I hope you're well too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Ariadne wrote: »
    I really have to stop talking about CF so much or stop changing my name so my loyal and adoring fans won't think I'm dead :D

All that worry, all the sleepless nights, all the things that went through my head I always wanted to say to you and couldn't anymore. Oh the regrets ...:mad:

And you only changed your effin name? Ye devious b**ch! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Liah was real and sadly passed away in Dec 2018

That's unbelievably sad. I always liked her posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I really miss Grey so What.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Carry wrote: »

All that worry, all the sleepless nights, all the things that went through my head I always wanted to say to you and couldn't anymore. Oh the regrets ...:mad:

And you only changed your effin name? Ye devious b**ch! :D:D:D
    I thought Lady McB was Succubus.
    I is confused.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I is confused.

No, it was Succubus_.

Easy mistake.

I is confused.

No, it was Succubus_.

Easy mistake.
    That's confused me further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Earthhorse wrote: »
    By leaving out words? :D

You’re talking to the Typo Kween!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

She has changed from Succubus to Ariadne now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Earthhorse wrote: »
    So he’s right; the assholes do get all the attention.

I’m not sure this is the kind of attention you’d want! :pac: To be honest, I felt for the lad. It was clear that some Irish woman in his past had really screwed him over.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Im even more confused..
    Ariadne seems to be around since last year.

Im even more confused..

If you are a subscriber you can change your name. Lady Macbeth closed her account and then opened a new one called Succubus. Succubus didn't close her account but changed the name to Ariadne :)

• Advertisement

*head explode*

:D

Im even more confused..

If you are a subscriber you can change your name. Lady Macbeth closed her account and then opened a new one called Succubus. Succubus didn't close her account but changed the name to Ariadne :)
    Aaaahhhhhhh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

face kicker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Also, it's quite likely that even though I'm here over a decade with over a thousand posts, that if I were to disappear nobody would remember me, know I was gone, or that I was ever even here :o Maybe I should be more outrageous :P:)

Those are rookie numbers, you have to pump them right up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Lisha wrote: »
    I really miss Grey so What.

A lovely poster - I used to really enjoy the chats on the tv forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't think Scofflaw was sneery, or was no worse than the standard level of sneeriness on political forums. That 'cordially, Scofflaw' sign-off was a bit unnecessary, mind you; and it gets a bit tiresome when somebody's default position is to defend any criticism of the European Union or its institutions, no matter how mild the criticism.

I'd say the chap was on the pay books in Molesworth Street such was his devotion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Atoms for peace was a right ****.

There was a Giselle I liked she was well read.

And a young fella called Fago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Salacious crumb. Loved that guy. So down to earth and funny. Great music taste too.
    Saw on facebook he recently got married

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

There was a Giselle I liked she was well read.

And a young fella called Fago!

Fago’s still around under a different name, although I don’t think he posts much. The first boardsie I ever met and still a good friend!

I is confused.

For clarity purposes.

I was:
    Medusa22
    Calypso27
    Medea28
    LadyMacBeth
    Cleopatra_
    Succubus

..........and now I'm Ariadne. Sorry sorry sorry, promise I won't change my name again..........for a while :p

I is confused.

For clarity purposes.

I was:
    Medusa22
    Calypso27
    Medea28
    LadyMacBeth
    Cleopatra_
    Succubus

..........and now I'm Ariadne. Sorry sorry sorry, promise I won't change my name again..........for a while :p
    This is probably the stupid question but why do people change their names?
    I can understand closing an account and re-registering under a new name.

I closed my previous accounts. I decided to change from Succubus to Ariadne as I'm working on changing how I come across to people, considering what Succubus means and all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've switched between Insect Overlord and An File a few times. They fit different parts of my personality, I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

New partner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I name changed my original account after someone in work figured out who I was, then decided to close it altogether and start anew.

Sometimes a name change/closed account isn’t for boards reasons but for 3D world reasons.

I remember him alright. Seemed like a decent skin. Twas way back, best part of an hour ago.

I closed my previous accounts. I decided to change from Succubus to Ariadne as I'm working on changing how I come across to people, considering what Succubus means and all.
    I must be very naive because I've no idea what Succubus means :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Now that’s how you make an exit!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement