Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Scofflaw because he could always explain the complicated stuff in plain english.

Insufferable europhile who arrogantly dismissed people who didn't subscribe to his views.
    Turned politics forum into a theory only forum and helped drive people out to P Cafe.
    Donegal born, but a naturalised US citizen. Apparently.

Wasn't he Donegalfella for years, but then went hedge fund managing to one of the Carolinas.

It was then that I found him really becoming unbelievable and that was just talking about his liefstyle and home.
    Never followed enough of his posts to find all the inconsistencies in background.
    And didn't know he was bigging up the sexual aspect of his very much younger half.

Aonghus Von B was a very much funnier self made man. :D
    josip wrote: »
    Paddy147 for the DIY advice
    FredSwanson for the pics
    AndersonIsGod for the chaos

Really miss Fred, he was great for pics.
    Jaysus AndersonIsGod had some hard on for Pep.
    Denerick was another one. Anyone remember him?

Nodin was another who got dogs' abuse, very unfairly.

Feck him and any reincarnations.
    I got infracted and ban (might even have been old Scofflaw) for trying to get him to admin he saw nothing wrong with the Warrington bombing.

He had some odious opinions including accepting suicide bombings as valid.

I can think of one mod that seems to have disappeared and he was a total Walter Mitty.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Reading some older posts there from old accounts. It genuinely is baffling how some people have been let run ragged for years, trolling and abusing people and are still let close accounts and re-reg and carry on like nothing happened. Mad, Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Reading some older posts there from old accounts. It genuinely is baffling how some people have been let run ragged for years, trolling and abusing people and are still let close accounts and re-reg and carry on like nothing happened. Mad, Ted.

Not really, if mods want to check history of old accounts then it’s easy to do, and not every re reg is a troll or abusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

begbysback wrote: »
    Not really, if mods want to check history of old accounts then it’s easy to do, and not every re reg is a troll or abusive.

After a few reregs accounts can get "lost", some are missed, some forgotten, etc. It's much easier for a mod to look at a single user, tot up their infractions and escalate or ban. If you've to look through multiple accounts, or a mod on the team doesn't even realise it's a rereg then they get away with things that they probably shouldn't have.

I understand the need for it with data protection and the rest but it's my belief that the close account feature was the biggest factor in the decline of boards. There were plenty of others but I think that did serious damage.

I do agree though, not every rereg is a troll, I don't think that's what R:E was saying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

To be fair Lainey you gave her a pretty hard time at the end of July in another thread " How common is it for people to never find another half or have kids" - particularly posts between you both ( #586 and #587).

Ginandtonicsky was so empathetic, understanding and patient with you in trying to understand your point of view yet give an insight into her perspective on life. She spoke about life being hard for all of us, some more than others, and about putting our best foot forward.
    Even when she was writing that I sensed something deeper and sadder in her. Yet she spoke about focusing on the positives.

I think you were quite hard on her then. Just because someone might sound like they have their act together doesn't mean they are in a good place. I thought she was actually trying to help you. In the end she just said she was giving up trying to understand, she had been so insightful and patient too. I thought she was a lovely poster and I really hope all is well with her. She hasn't posted since then and has closed her account.

Yes, she was those things, but my point was that it can come across as dismissive and damaging to pretend that everyone is dealing with the same issues when they aren't. It's one of the number one things people are told when they are on counselling courses. It is really, really damaging to people with serious health issues/disabilities to be told that 'it's tough for everyone' or some permutation of that. Of course it's not the same being a healthy person with plenty of money and resources and being someone who is chronically ill and struggling financially, for example. It's far easier to take a level headed view of relationships when most of the other things in your life are going well compared to when absolutely everything is bad. I don't think this viewpoint is that 'out there'. Yes, heartbreak is heartbreak, but magnify that many times when the end of a relationship could mean being totally alone, destitute and homeless and then trying to survive on the dating scene having to explain your disabilities and illness to all and sundry. That was all I was trying to say.

I did appreciate ginandtonicsky's posts and told her so directly, on the forum and via PM. Many, many times.

I think it's really horrible of you to try to make me feel like this is somehow my fault just because I was trying to point out some clear (if mildish) ableism. It gets really draining when you try to explain and people just keep dismissing you and then say 'oh I'm giving up, I was just trying to help'. Because all it does is silence people. Did you not notice that I also gave up posting there in that thread, after that? And until now, mostly also stopped posting on the forum at all. There are plenty of other places where people seem to 'get it'. Me calling her out on what I saw as a lack of empathy/mild ableism in one situation doesn't cancel out the many times I agreed with her, thanked her posts, etc.

She did post after that, to say that her relationship had not worked out as she hoped (or that's how I read it) and she didn't come back after that.

The Corinthian.

What kind of things did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Well this has certainly been a trip down memory lane!

I can barely remember names IRL, so I wouldn't notice much if someone disappears unless it's mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Plenty of people have tried to help you and given up lainey because you are very entrenched in a particular way of thinking and you react very aggressively when it's challenged. G&tsky was getting somewhere with you and clearly had empathy for your situation and when she dared to suggest your attitude probably wasn't helping you turned on her too.

Maybe you don't mean to come across as hostile as you do, it can be easy to be misinterpreted over text and I know you're on the spectrum which presumably doesn't help. But do you not think if 20, 30, 50 people are consistently telling you the same thing then perhaps you should maybe consider if there might be something in it worth taking on board?

This is not an attack on you, as I've said before you are a clearly intelligent person with a lot to like, and who's obviously had a hard time of a lot of things recently, I don't wish you any ill at all.

I don't think Sweetmaggie is being very fair at all. Why use the closure of one person's account to pass comment on another user?

Plenty of people have tried to help you and given up lainey because you are very entrenched in a particular way of thinking and you react very aggressively when it's challenged. G&tsky was getting somewhere with you and clearly had empathy for your situation and when she dared to suggest your attitude probably wasn't helping you turned on her too.

Maybe you don't mean to come across as hostile as you do, it can be easy to be misinterpreted over text and I know you're on the spectrum which presumably doesn't help. But do you not think if 20, 30, 50 people are consistently telling you the same thing then perhaps you should maybe consider if there might be something in it worth taking on board?

This is not an attack on you, as I've said before you are a clearly intelligent person with a lot to like, and who's obviously had a hard time of a lot of things recently, I don't wish you any ill at all.

I didn't 'turn on her'. I explained why her viewpoint was damaging and ableist. She could have said something like 'oh God yes, it's hard enough dating as it is, I can't imagine having to deal with a disability as well' or acknowledged that being in a poor financial situation puts so much more pressure on every aspect of life. I wasn't attacking her as a person at all, I was challenging what I perceived to be a privileged viewpoint. Just because she was a (rightfully) respected poster doesn't mean absolutely everything she said was 100% right and she could never be challenged, ever.

TBH I haven't had the slightest problem on other forums, so what I took on board was so stop posting here. I tried to explain my viewpoint and was shot down, so I gave up, just like she did.

• Advertisement

I don't think Sweetmaggie is being very fair at all. Why use the closure of one person's account to pass comment on another user?

This kind of bullying and ganging up is why I stopped posting. Can't imagine I'm the only one.

Derogatory things, generally.

He was extremely articulate (not to be confused with verbose; there are a few extremely verbose - thread-killing - posters who confuse a surplus of words with an excess of intelligence), but most of what he had to say that I noted just demonstrated the utter contempt he had for women in general.

He may have been charming when the subject involved anything else but I only ever noticed him when he was on a vitriolic, spiteful mission to be as nasty as possible either to, or about, a woman/women. Though I doubt it.

I don't remember The Corinthian at all at all.

Alf Stewart though! He was funny :)

Kfallon, I haven't seen him in a while and enjoyed his posts.

I don't remember The Corinthian at all at all.

Alf Stewart though! He was funny :)

Count yourself lucky :)

And I vaguely remember Alf, in a vaguely positive way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Loved kfallon!
    Just misogyny of the vilest level. "You'd all be having abortions on a bad hair day if you could" being a particular gem. And clearly not a bit pro life but pretending to be, just to put women down.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Loved kfallon!

Just misogyny of the vilest level. "You'd all be having abortions on a bad hair day if you could" being a particular gem. And clearly not a bit pro life but pretending to be, just to put women down.

Ugh.

But I bet he was well-liked and his posts got loads of thanks. Am I wrong?

I’m talking about one account I came across that has some of the most vile and disgusting things written in it that I’ve ever read. Openly racist, abusive, inflammatory, provocative and a blatant fantasist. Yet I believe they are still posting here today.
    The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Ugh.

But I bet he was well-liked and his posts got loads of thanks. Am I wrong?

'Thanks count' in the predecessor to full scale people rating as in Black mirror Nosedive episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Earthhorse wrote: »
    metrovelvet is another poster from yore I quite liked. Didn't always agree with her but she had a unique take on things.
    I'd row with her day and night on here but I'd miss her around! PM'd each other a fair bit but haven't heard from her since her last incarnation (she was another who had half a dozen usernames over the years).
    I’m so glad that I’m not the only one who thought this. Both the disdain for women and the condescension. And, as I said earlier in the thread, he revealed himself to be ridiculously precious too. The time he criticised a mod who actually stood up for him was astounding. I was thinking “If that’s what you’re like with people who are trying to help you...”. I’ve noticed that articulacy seems to dazzle and impress many people and much is undeservedly forgiven if you have a way with words.
    I think his ongoing rows with certain female posters (particularly metrovelvet as they'd had a very messy real world entanglement that lead to pure bile spilling out all across boards) and his utter disdain for feminism got him branded as a misogynist when it always seemed to me that he was more of a sociopath than a misogynist. Strangely (or perhaps not, as it often seems the case with guys like him) for a poster who was hated by so many of the women on here, he was one of those guys who never seemed to be short of female company the few times I met him IRL.
    Dragan on the fitness forum. About ten years ago, he was almost pre-SJW but wasn't, he was just a caring bloke.

Cant remember the last guy, from south dublin and used to do acrobatics and what not. In great shape, was all about the planche and olympic rings before crossfit made them uncool. If someone could remind me, that would be great, his posts were quite insightful!
    Dragan was a lovely guy IRL too. Used to train with him quite a bit and he was extremely generous with his time, got more into Photography than fitness and was a reg on the Photography forum. Last I saw of him was he'd gotten seriously into DJing. Think he was quite like myself at the time that he'd get almost obsessively into something, get decent to pretty good at it and then find a new obsession.

Are you thinking of AmazingEmmet? Guy was a walking Adonis and, again, very generous with his time. Remember him holding a free gymnastics class in Stephen's Green one time!

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd row with her day and night on here but I'd miss her around! PM'd each other a fair bit but haven't heard from her since her last incarnation (she was another who had half a dozen usernames over the years).

I think his ongoing rows with certain female posters (particularly metrovelvet as they'd had a very messy real world entanglement that lead to pure bile spilling out all across boards) and his utter disdain for feminism got him branded as a misogynist when it always seemed to me that he was more of a sociopath than a misogynist. Strangely (or perhaps not, as it often seems the case with guys like him) for a poster who was hated by so many of the women on here, he was one of those guys who never seemed to be short of female company the few times I met him IRL.

:eek: Wow...juicy.

I searched and found some posts and they seem a bit sociopathic. But having 'utter disdain' for feminism surely makes one a misogynist. Feminism is literally the belief that women and men are equal.

Dragan was a lovely guy IRL too. Used to train with him quite a bit and he was extremely generous with his time, got more into Photography than fitness and was a reg on the Photography forum. Last I saw of him was he'd gotten seriously into DJing. Think he was quite like myself at the time that he'd get almost obsessively into something, get decent to pretty good at it and then find a new obsession.

Are you thinking of AmazingEmmet? Guy was a walking Adonis and, again, very generous with his time. Remember him holding a free gymnastics class in Stephen's Green one time!

Damn it, where are all these lovely men now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I liked her too. She was always a little leftfield but interesting. Haven't heard from her for years. One of my favourite usernames too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You just reminded me that TC and nesf also had a run in at one of the first boards beers that also spilled out onto here.

Jesus Christ like, are you any of you guys socially well adjusted? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Damn it, where are all these lovely men now?

Right here, baby! :cool:

/pulls sausage out of beard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Corinthian did seem to be incapable of interacting civilly with anyone who challenged him, or even anyone who largely agreed with his point but had any kind of small issue with any part of the content or tone. His only gear in that scenario was "attack", but to be fair to him that was very much a gender-blind attack mode. I do personally think that there was an extra edge of condescension and aggression there when it was a woman he was dealing with but who knows. He was like a fly to sh1te to any thread like FGM, sexual assault etc so the issues he most usually ended up arguing with women about were mostly related to feminism, it'd be getting angels on the head of a pin territory trying to figure out the ratios of dislike of feminism, dislike of women and just general cnutishness.

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Right here, baby! :cool:

/pulls sausage out of beard

That's my first time hearing that euphemism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

But having 'utter disdain' for feminism surely makes one a misogynist. Feminism is literally the belief that women and men are equal.
    It's one definition, and one even many feminists would disagree with. Holding feminism in disdain no more makes one a misogynist than disagreeing with Zionism makes one antisemitic. It's a handy slur for feminists to throw at those who disagree with them though!

To get back on topic, a few more boardsies I'd miss from the past:

Kiera
    Pythia
    Silverfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

The Corinthian was a gowl.

Was trying to think of other users whose posts I used to like and I remembered shellyboo, she was a cool lady, tough and forthright yet never a dick with it, at least that I saw.

Dr Galen was another really good poster, used to see his posts alot in TGC when it first started, good guy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A few of the lads set up an IRC channel for Clearasil & Hormones back in the day. Pygmalion was great for keeping the chat flowing, and I'm pretty sure Silverfish used to be permanently logged in to make sure someone was always keeping an eye on us. :)

This is it wrote: »

I understand the need for it with data protection and the rest but it's my belief that the close account feature was the biggest factor in the decline of boards. There were plenty of others but I think that did serious damage.

Doesn’t really make sense, I believe it’s the opposite, the only reason people come back is that they can change their name.

• Advertisement

I’m talking about one account I came across that has some of the most vile and disgusting things written in it that I’ve ever read. Openly racist, abusive, inflammatory, provocative and a blatant fantasist. Yet I believe they are still posting here today.
    The mind boggles.

Only one account? Have you not read through any of the welfare, homeless, or traveller threads on here?

Ariana Grande. #blessed when she used to post over in the reality tv forum. She taught me how to GIF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

A few of the lads set up an IRC channel for Clearasil & Hormones back in the day. Pygmalion was great for keeping the chat flowing, and I'm pretty sure Silverfish used to be permanently logged in to make sure someone was always keeping an eye on us. :)

RIP Pygmalion I think ?

This is it wrote: »
    After a few reregs accounts can get "lost", some are missed, some forgotten, etc. It's much easier for a mod to look at a single user, tot up their infractions and escalate or ban. If you've to look through multiple accounts, or a mod on the team doesn't even realise it's a rereg then they get away with things that they probably shouldn't have.

I do agree though, not every rereg is a troll, I don't think that's what R:E was saying anyway.

Don't understand the data protection thing or what you mean here. Can you explain?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

josip wrote: »
    RIP Pygmalion I think ?

Aye, seven and a half years ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ariana Grande. #blessed when she used to post over in the reality tv forum. She taught me how to GIF

Hihi sis I live!!!!! Slaaaaay kweeeeen ktnxbye asdfghjkl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Don't understand the data protection thing or what you mean here. Can you explain?

Under GDPR there’s a right to be forgotten, so closing accounts and deleting information is important. That said boards brought in the right to close accounts years ago. In response to GDPR it initially deleted all posts, now it’s removes the search capability for closed posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Only one account? Have you not read through any of the welfare, homeless, or traveller threads on here?

Are you deliberately misunderstanding? The poster you're replying to neither said a) that every re reg is a troll or abusive, nor b) that there is only one abusive/troll/fantasist account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There’s very few nasty trolls on this site, and they appear to be quickly dealt with. There’s a few wind up merchants of course, but they are the oil that keeps this place running smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Doesn’t really make sense, I believe it’s the opposite, the only reason people come back is that they can change their name.

Throwaway accounts, loss of the "community" feel.

• Advertisement

Are you deliberately misunderstanding? The poster you're replying to neither said a) that every re reg is a troll or abusive, nor b) that there is only one abusive/troll/fantasist account.

a) was a counterpoint to a post which implied re regging was mostly/usually used in an unethical way

b) was a joke, ye know the kinda thing usually posted tongue in cheek in AH in the good old days

If ye have any personal opinions on the posts then just come out and say it.

a) was a counterpoint to a post which implied re regging was mostly/usually used in an unethical way

I implied nothing of the sort, as has been explained to you.

My post again, in case you missed it:

Then when I explain to you the specificity of my post you get all contradictory like “only ONE person?? What about travellers & dole scrounging threads???” Im honestly a confused about what you’re even on about here and I think you are too.
    Are you deliberately misunderstanding?

That would be a yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Under GDPR there’s a right to be forgotten, so closing accounts and deleting information is important. That said boards brought in the right to close accounts years ago. In response to GDPR it initially deleted all posts, now it’s removes the search capability for closed posters.

It's my understanding that the right to be forgotten applies to search results under a person's actual name. I always thought Boards jumped the gun/overreacted by scrubbing everything the way they did.

I would always read her posts in an American accent
    #sis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

#sis

I was always under the illusion that she/he was a re-reg maybe , or someone with more than one account , the way they would flit in and out at random times :o

Funny though !

#sis

Our founding sister. Our Kween. Our Gifftator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

all the old BGRH heads. that was a great place in it's day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I haven't seen Mountainsandh post in a long time now, always enjoyed her posts.

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I haven't seen Mountainsandh post in a long time now, always enjoyed her posts.

Loved her!

Edit: i just checked and she last posted two weeks ago asking about cat-friendly suncream <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Loved her!

Edit: i just checked and she last posted two weeks ago asking about cat-friendly suncream <3

Ah, that's good :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement