Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's a pity that they nuked the entire record of the Thunderdome.

It would be nice to go back and read some of the threads between 06 and 2012.

Pure gold. Some of the funniest material that I've ever read.

The Degsy, Creepingdeath feud especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

Loved her!

Edit: i just checked and she last posted two weeks ago asking about cat-friendly suncream <3

Always found her sound too. Mustn't frequent the threads I do anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

This is it wrote: »
    Throwaway accounts, loss of the "community" feel.

On the other hand, maybe it isolates the quality of the post outside of the popularity or reputation of the poster.

Maybe basic content should trump personalities and cliques on a discussion forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

OK, someones going to have to explain this to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Posters just insulted each other back and forth trying to be as full on and witty as possible. There was some kinda competition to it? Ha.

To be totally honest I remember it and never seen the hype.

It lost run of itself eventually which was always likely to happen.

• Advertisement

The nucking of TTD marked the end of boards innocence when those that "know best" took over. It's a shadow of its former self. Not quite parody yet, but past it's 'best by' date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

The nucking of TTD marked the end of boards.ie's innocence, when those that "know best" took over. It's a shadow of its former self. Not quite parody yet, but past it's 'best by' date.

Nobody is forcing you to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

sullivlo wrote: »

No need for that, S. It’s Friday night after all, time to kick back for a bit.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Thunderdome was something of an "anything goes" forum. The original idea was for it to be used as a neutral battleground. If posters got into an argument that couldn't be sorted in-thread, they could be sent to the Thunderdome to settle their differences.

After a while it became a place where posters competed to come up with the best/funniest/most offensive insults for each other. Pighead, for instance, "won the Internet" when his interlocutor, R-Rated, was told that his username was an anagram for a word that is no longer politically correct. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I always liked Degsy I have to say. Then I met him and thought him an utter... :D actually no, I found him sound as a pound in person too. Very funny with it. Or I was off me box drunk, or both. :pac: One thing I noted about him is when crap goes down most people ignore it or freeze, some back off, he was one of the rarer types who would be at the front going what is the crap and can I deal with it.

Dav was another like that actually. Now he would be someone who would be about the polar opposite of me in most ways and there's be little enough overlap on many opinions, but what always struck me in my dealings with him online and off and just general observation was he had a genuine human decency going on. He wasn't crawthumping for attention or popularity either like some. He just wanted things to be better in life for people. Now like I said I would have disagreed with much of how he would have reckoned that could be achieved(if at all in some cases), but being decent was his default position. Now I've found the vast majority of people are fairly decent all in, but down the years I've met few enough people with his level and attention to that and who will stand by their position, regardless. I generally tend to stand by the positions I hold because tbh I don't really give a fuck, he stands behind his because he does. His is the harder road to walk and I respect that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

On the other hand, maybe it isolates the quality of the post outside of the popularity or reputation of the poster.

Maybe basic content should trump personalities and cliques on a discussion forum. :)

Never! :mad:

How do you know? :P

It's like Methadone now. It's no longer got the same effect, but you still use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Under GDPR there’s a right to be forgotten, so closing accounts and deleting information is important. That said boards brought in the right to close accounts years ago. In response to GDPR it initially deleted all posts, now it’s removes the search capability for closed posters.

But you can still search their posts through Advanced Search, just not by clicking on the username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I think that idea goes against the business model of increasing boards user count and clicks per advert.

You may need some mod retraining.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nuked you say....

Interesting as I have it in my followed forums and can still read through it at will.

Necro wrote: »
    Nuked you say....

Interesting as I have it in my followed forums and can still read through it at will.

Really?

Really?

Yeah I've had it followed for years (from before it closed).

Now it's kinda stuck in the nebulis and I can't unfollow it, but can still read it!

Yeah I've had it followed for years (from before it closed).

Now it's kinda stuck in the nebulis and I can't unfollow it, but can still read it!

I'd love a read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

KeithM89 and El Weirdo.

That is all

I'm not screenshotting the whole forum for ya :pac:
    It would likely get me in twouble:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Try this on the desktop site - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=484

Edit: sorry people, I forgot that they made it a "private" forum before they closed it altogether!

I got the "you do not have permission to access this page" notice.

Thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I can be as gratuitously insulting as the next fucking cunt, but I found the Thunderdome a bit boring and never bothered posting there. I found it a bit cringeworthy, tbh. Skirting around the edge of the rules is always more fun than having no rules at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I can be as gratuitously insulting as the next fucking cunt, but I found the Thunderdome a bit boring and never bothered posting there. I found it a bit cringeworthy, tbh. Skirting around the edge of the rules is always more fun than having no rules at all.

You have a gift, uncensored swear words!

Wait, I see your fucking trick now. Nice one haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I'm not getting permission to use that page.

I agree. I guess it was all edgy and cool and you had to have been there but I don't see the allure tbh.

It's not deserving of the regard some posters seem to hold it in anyways. Particularly in the last year or two of it's existence it just got a bit... weird and the posters more deranged imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I remember accidentally posting a reply on the thunderdome, someone had pm'd me I think saying I might like it, I was reading a few other threads in other tabs while browsing through it and thinking "No thank you".

At the time the rule was you couldn't start roasting anyone who hasn't posted there, and I accidentally posted a reply for another thread (meant for the vegetarian and vegan forum, I think it was some helpful advice about what lentils to use for something :pac:) under a post about how so-and-so goes to the National Concert Hall and sits there waiting for the young wan on the double bass to spread her legs so he could pull the lad off himself.

Pretty panicky 30 seconds or so deleting that I tell you. Last thing I wanted was to get in on a fcuking technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a post saying ilovesleep had passed away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

KKkitty wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a post saying ilovesleep had passed away?

I thought so.

• Advertisement

I thought so.

Iirc the mods locked it quite quickly.

Aw no

bluewolf wrote: »
    Aw no

Didn't understand why the mods locked it up so quickly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Scrolling through this thread I find there is a lot of delightful bitching going on :D

I might be here for a long time but don't post that often, as you can see on my post count, and I'm not around in every forum on boards. So mostly I don't know what or about whom you are talking about.

I just wonder why the only time a Mod intervened was about permabear, because the "poor lad couldn't defend himself". Nor can other rather unpleasant long gone boards member that gets a right brush off here. Or those who can do it in some way or another with their new identity.
    And boy would I like to let rip about permabear :D

And since even current members are mentioned, may I list my favourite AH posters? (rethorical question because I do it anyway)

That is Fourier, because he has the brains I fancy the cells off; Candie, because she is articulate, charming and knows how not to be contrary; and Wibbs, who is a knows-it-all and sometimes not to my liking but nonetheless someone I'd love to have a real life argument with. And some others I just struggle to remember the names.
    Don't you ever dare to leave boards!

Did I mention permabear? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

KKkitty wrote: »
    I thought so.
    Unfortunately I don't think that was genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Never! :mad:

:D

Seriously though, not being a 'name' doesn't augur well for the matey matey flirting threads maybe, but I don't really care who is doing the posting or their bona fides as long as there is interesting stuff to read and they're not being cvnts to anybody.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think his ongoing rows with certain female posters (particularly metrovelvet as they'd had a very messy real world entanglement that lead to pure bile spilling out all across boards) and his utter disdain for feminism got him branded as a misogynist when it always seemed to me that he was more of a sociopath than a misogynist.
    I don't think he just had disdain for feminism - I agree, that doesn't make someone a misogynist at all. I really think there was ample evidence that he just hated women. His saying that it was just because he disliked feminism was a handy cover story though.

I liked metrovelvet for a good while but then she started just posting short sentences of provocative nonsense. Weirdly enough, a lot of it was to wind up fellow women.

Loved Dragan! I think people thought he was a bit of a sweet talker/feminist for the ladies etc. I honestly don't think so though - I remember him saying in a thread about domestic abuse of men that he would have no problem defending himself with whatever force necessary if a woman physically attacked him. Think he was just someone who believed in equality for everyone no matter what.

I never got on with Dav but I think he was extremely misunderstood, and got treated terribly in the run-up to him leaving his community manager position.

Knew Degsy a little bit in real life - hilarious, lovely fella.

As for the Thunderdome, I really can't stand people just trying to be shocking for cheap laughs, which is what I thought the Dome was initially, but it was actually hilarious. Said earlier though that it felt like people were starting to mean it in there. I was disagreed with but to me it seemed that way. Or maybe it was the other way around - people taking it personally despite choosing to take part in it.

Carry wrote: »
    Scrolling through this thread I find there is a lot of delightful bitching going on :D

I might be here for a long time but don't post that often, as you can see on my post count, and I'm not around in every forum on boards. So mostly I don't know what or about whom you are talking about.

I just wonder why the only time a Mod intervened was about permabear, because the "poor lad couldn't defend himself". Nor can other rather unpleasant long gone boards member that gets a right brush off here. Or those who can do it in some way or another with their new identity.
    And boy would I like to let rip about permabear :D

And since even current members are mentioned, may I list my favourite AH posters? (rethorical question because I do it anyway)

That is Fourier, because he has the brains I fancy the cells off; Candie, because she is articulate, charming and knows how not to be contrary; and Wibbs, who is a knows-it-all and sometimes not to my liking but nonetheless someone I'd love to have a real life argument with. And some others I just struggle to remember the names.
    Don't you ever dare to leave boards!

Did I mention permabear? :pac:

Fouriers a legend. 100% agree there. Dont really know the others to speak of in that regard but I'm sure they're lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Jeff’s dog

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

Still a few around but older and wiser :-)

A lot wiser than the posters that shared the pic of the teenage kid and targeted his social media hopefully!

I used to follow it, the original gang were hilarious, Degsy and co. I was always too spineless to post in it, but loved reading the epic feuds.
    The newer guys got it shut down, genuinely nasty stuff started to happen. It turned into a minefield for Boards. The post Dav made explaining why it was closed down is still up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

How about the over zealous mod Squid?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Some great posters mentioned that I'd forgotten about.

I used to be far more active back in the day, including on a couple of the private forums, so got to know a few people quite a bit.

Some names for me that don't post (or post much anymore) that I liked: Sauve, LizT, Femme_Fatale, Julius Caesar, Whoopsa, Danniemcq, though there's more I forget. There was a good bunch on First Class Lounge for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

It's one definition, and one even many feminists would disagree with. Holding feminism in disdain no more makes one a misogynist than disagreeing with Zionism makes one antisemitic. It's a handy slur for feminists to throw at those who disagree with them though!

To get back on topic, a few more boardsies I'd miss from the past:

Kiera
    Pythia
    Silverfish
    Kiera is still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Telly wrote: »
    Kiera is still around.

I never left. I’ve had the best and worst times on this site. And through the worst I’ve had the most amazing people at my side- online and in person.

Boards was such a great, funny, supportive and amazing place for me back in the days. And I’ll never forget each and every one of you. I love seeing your names pop up and remember the fun we’ve had. Now I, more than anyone knows how much of a cúnt I was but that’s only to those that I felt deserved it :) I sometimes miss the craic I’ve had but not the drama :p

I could be a right cuntt too. People change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'd row with her day and night on here but I'd miss her around! PM'd each other a fair bit but haven't heard from her since her last incarnation (she was another who had half a dozen usernames over the years).

I think his ongoing rows with certain female posters (particularly metrovelvet as they'd had a very messy real world entanglement that lead to pure bile spilling out all across boards) and his utter disdain for feminism got him branded as a misogynist when it always seemed to me that he was more of a sociopath than a misogynist. Strangely (or perhaps not, as it often seems the case with guys like him) for a poster who was hated by so many of the women on here, he was one of those guys who never seemed to be short of female company the few times I met him IRL.

Dragan was a lovely guy IRL too. Used to train with him quite a bit and he was extremely generous with his time, got more into Photography than fitness and was a reg on the Photography forum. Last I saw of him was he'd gotten seriously into DJing. Think he was quite like myself at the time that he'd get almost obsessively into something, get decent to pretty good at it and then find a new obsession.

Are you thinking of AmazingEmmet? Guy was a walking Adonis and, again, very generous with his time. Remember him holding a free gymnastics class in Stephen's Green one time!

No, seriously, as Raconteuse said, he’d say things along the lines of “Enjoy being single so!” to female posters. Whether he knew the relationship status of the poster or not. That’s got the square root of fuck all to do with having a disdain for feminism. His nastiness was undeniably aimed more so towards female posters and women in general.

As for real life female company, I never met the guy so can’t comment on that. But some of the girlfriends he spoke about here sounded like absolute doses. He took exception at people saying that to him about his GF in a thread despite him offering up a lot of details about her. What a drama queen he was.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    You just reminded me that TC and nesf also had a run in at one of the first boards beers that also spilled out onto here.

Jesus Christ like, are you any of you guys socially well adjusted? :D

No, I’m a complete geebag personally.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's my understanding that the right to be forgotten applies to search results under a person's actual name. I always thought Boards jumped the gun/overreacted by scrubbing everything the way they did.

I recall PB saying something like “What if I’m stopped and questioned in an American airport and they research me and find my Permabear account?”. I just found that so implausible unless he told them his username. I mean it’s technically possible but there are so many websites. US airport official would zero in on boards.ie and comb through it? Unlikely.

I think it’s a huge shame that some former prolific accounts have been scrubbed. I like looking at old threads and getting the ol’ ‘This post has been deleted’ is disappointing. I basically hate that whinging and moaning paid off for a few former members. Boards.ie capitulated too easily, IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ruu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My favourites were
    Tar Aldarion
    Tar is active, posts, and currently mods our Sleeping & Dreaming forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I agree. I guess it was all edgy and cool and you had to have been there but I don't see the allure tbh.

It's not deserving of the regard some posters seem to hold it in anyways. Particularly in the last year or two of it's existence it just got a bit... weird and the posters more deranged imo.

The Dome I loved was when I first joined Boards, circa 2007 until 2011/2012 or so. It was a forum that most people didn't "get" however the majority of those "in the game" were also members of a small private forum and were good friends outside of it. Essentially anything you posted on Boards (outside of serious forums like long term illness or personal issues) was fair game for getting grief on.

Some of the artistry of words along with poor but as a result brilliant photoshop skills on show made me properly laugh out loud. The Degsy Creeping Death feud was wonderful, poor old Degsy simply didn't have the linguistic dexterity that alot of the others had and as a result when he posted something he was piled on and ripped to shreds with hilarious results.

To the outside eye I'm sure it looked horrible but (for the most part at least) there was no real animosity behind it.

At the end of its life a new group of people began posting in it and there was proper needle in alot of it incl iirc accusations of bullying & doxing. On that basis it had to go but by jesus, there was a time when it was the funniest forum on boards by some stretch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement