Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

OK, someones going to have to explain this to me.

I’m eating my breakfast, Kate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

:D

Seriously though, not being a 'name' doesn't augur well for the matey matey flirting threads maybe, but I don't really care who is doing the posting or their bona fides as long as there is interesting stuff to read and they're not being cvnts to anybody.

I mostly agree but I like the continuity of a permanent username, especially where you might have history with someone. Often feels to me like re-regs are at a distinct advantage there but there’s no doubt that popular posters end up collecting bands of sycophants.
    Telly wrote: »
    I never left. I’ve had the best and worst times on this site. And through the worst I’ve had the most amazing people at my side- online and in person.

Boards was such a great, funny, supportive and amazing place for me back in the days. And I’ll never forget each and every one of you. I love seeing your names pop up and remember the fun we’ve had. Now I, more than anyone knows how much of a cúnt I was but that’s only to those that I felt deserved it :) I sometimes miss the craic I’ve had but not the drama :p
    Raconteuse wrote: »
    I could be a right cuntt too. People change!

Guys, guys, guys; ye were both cunts. :D

Also, Telly, why are you replying to yourself? :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The Dome I loved was when I first joined Boards, circa 2007 until 2011/2012 or so. It was a forum that most people didn't "get" however the majority of those "in the game" were also members of a small private forum and were good friends outside of it. Essentially anything you posted on Boards (outside of serious forums like long term illness or personal issues) was fair game for getting grief on.

Some of the artistry of words along with poor but as a result brilliant photoshop skills on show made me properly laugh out loud. The Degsy Creeping Death feud was wonderful, poor old Degsy simply didn't have the linguistic dexterity that alot of the others had and as a result when he posted something he was piled on and ripped to shreds with hilarious results.

To the outside eye I'm sure it looked horrible but (for the most part at least) there was no real animosity behind it.

At the end of its life a new group of people began posting in it and there was proper needle in alot of it incl iirc accusations of bullying & doxing. On that basis it had to go but by jesus, there was a time when it was the funniest forum on boards by some stretch.

Yeah I'd agree with this tbf (you can see by my join date that I only caught the tail end of the Dome). There was a cohort of posters who spoiled it for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Also, Telly, why are you replying to yourself? :eek:

Cos...
    Telly...
    Is...
    Keira!!!

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sir Osis of Liver used to post some really funny stuff.

Just came across a few of his posts by accident this morning and made me a bit nostalgic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The internet will be very very different by that time

It’s very different now than what it was. Doesn’t mean that forums dissappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Black Swan wrote: »
    Ruu

Such a sound lad, and a great mod too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wibbs wrote: »
    I always liked Degsy I have to say. Then I met him and thought him an utter... :D actually no, I found him sound as a pound in person too.

Degsy was good craic, was never gonna last under the regime of the time though

More people are coming back to me. Buona Fortuna. He seemed like a nice man. Also Tombi who modded this place at one point. There is someone else whose name escapes me. She posted a bit in LTI. Her avatar was the little blue ball. I'll have to go digging. She struck me as a decent skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 John the anorak

Where is Micky Dolenz now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Omackeral wrote: »
    Eden Hazard was hilarious to read. The time he got slayed beyond belief in the lookalike thread was a joy to behold. I'd love to link it but it's probably in bad taste. He was fully convinced he looked like Zac Efron and when he submitted his picture everyone decided he looked like Naboo from the Mighty Boosh. It killed him.

He came back under a few different monikers but always gave himself away with words such as ''legit'', ''looksmax'' and his jealousy of Rugby players in south Dublin and their perceived status with the girls. Ah Eden, you beautiful man.

Legit looked nothing like that. Filter used plus the weird hair 'he' had back then, made it seem more similar. Remember it well. ;) You want his insta to verify :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I wonder will GDwyer rejoin us when he gets out?

Well those posts were a fun read. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Shpud2 xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had to take a look back at some of starbelgrades posts in AH, there is some real gems in there

On a thread about the IRA
    The CIA and the IRA recently joined forces to form the CIARA and they came second in this year's Rose of Tralee

On thread 'Names that just dont go'
    OP
    I have a cat called Alan. He is the only Alan on the vet's database of 10,000 animals. He also has a horse called Nigel.

While these are normal names for humans they just don't seem right for animals. Anyone else know of names that just don't work - animals or otherwise? Also, why don't these names work?
    starbelgrade- Your cat has a horse called Nigel? That's downright weird. Why did he call him Nigel?
    OPAlan is a very sophisticated cat.
    starbelgrade Alan, the sophisticat.

On thread Woman accuses three men of rape after drunken romp
    I feel like I just walked into a staff meeting at the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

More people are coming back to me. Buona Fortuna. He seemed like a nice man. Also Tombi who modded this place at one point. There is someone else whose name escapes me. She posted a bit in LTI. Her avatar was the little blue ball. I'll have to go digging. She struck me as a decent skin.

Tombi is still floating around the Gah forum I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

The Dome I loved was when I first joined Boards, circa 2007 until 2011/2012 or so. It was a forum that most people didn't "get" however the majority of those "in the game" were also members of a small private forum and were good friends outside of it. Essentially anything you posted on Boards (outside of serious forums like long term illness or personal issues) was fair game for getting grief on.

Some of the artistry of words along with poor but as a result brilliant photoshop skills on show made me properly laugh out loud. The Degsy Creeping Death feud was wonderful, poor old Degsy simply didn't have the linguistic dexterity that alot of the others had and as a result when he posted something he was piled on and ripped to shreds with hilarious results.

To the outside eye I'm sure it looked horrible but (for the most part at least) there was no real animosity behind it.

At the end of its life a new group of people began posting in it and there was proper needle in alot of it incl iirc accusations of bullying & doxing. On that basis it had to go but by jesus, there was a time when it was the funniest forum on boards by some stretch.

It was the best of times and the worse of times!

I remember a poster "Snyper" decided to jump into the insult thread at one stage, but he posted some image from some image sharing site not realising we could click into it and see all his other private images, pics of himself, of his workplace etc.... We didn't expose it, but he was utterly owned and promptly turned around and left.

Photoshopping Slideys face on to a goats head.
    Degsy misusing/failing to understand the concept of "negative equity".
    He's only around 5'6" in real life.

We even had an insult competition at one stage, with a proper league table.

Then the other domers, Captain Darling, Quality, Slidey, Sergeant, Armin Tamzarin, Flutterin Bantam, Fulton Crown, Chef, Bronte, etc.... And djhunter who was transitioning into a female and still around I'm sure.

Certainly a diverse set of individuals to gather in a dark part of boards!

Carry wrote: »
    And boy would I like to let rip about permabear :D

Know the feeling.
    ...Fourier, because he has the brains I fancy the cells off

You'd have to fight me for him! I don't care if he's just a head in a box, he's got a wonderful talent for imparting knowledge and that's very appealing.

More people are coming back to me. Buona Fortuna. He seemed like a nice man.

What a lovely guy he was (and I'm sure still is!). I can't connect the other names, but that's just me and names.

I'd love BF to come back, he was so nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

. Am blanking on the username of the blonde actress from/in London but not forgotten.

Bronte?

Wibbs wrote: »
    I always liked Degsy I have to say. Then I met him and thought him an utter... :D actually no, I found him sound as a pound in person too. Very funny with it. Or I was off me box drunk, or both. :pac: One thing I noted about him is when crap goes down most people ignore it or freeze, some back off, he was one of the rarer types who would be at the front going what is the crap and can I deal with it.

Indeed I also knew Degsy IRL, before I encountered his boards persona, but it didn't take me long to recognise him. Total shade of mad bastard off the guy, but a more entertaining night out you'd never have again. Pity his sort of humour just really doesn't translate over text at all at all!

• Advertisement

Is TbH still active?
    If memory serves used to see quite a lot of posts from them over on P.I.
    Always struck my as very considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

The Master wrote: »
    Bronte?

Yep... just remembered her username and was returning to correct the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Lisha wrote: »
    I really miss Grey so What.
    SirChenjin wrote: »
    A lovely poster - I used to really enjoy the chats on the tv forum.

Yeah. She's a great loss from the LLS and Darcy forums. I had many a PM chat with her after the shows ended and later texts. Then she just vanished.

If you're reading GSW, I hope all is well.

Another from there was Lady Chatterton. Always good for a laugh as well.

Shinto, that's the name of the poster I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Sir Osis of Liver used to post some really funny stuff.

Just came across a few of his posts by accident this morning and made me a bit nostalgic.
    Thank you Johnny,only came back this week after nearly a year and a half of a break.
    Me tits were withered with social media for a while.
    Good to be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

sligojoek wrote: »
    Yeah. She's a great loss from the LLS and Darcy forums. I had many a PM chat with her after the shows ended and later texts. Then she just vanished.

If you're reading GSW, I hope all is well.

Another from there was Lady Chatterton. Always good for a laugh as well.

Same here.
    Harry Angstrom was another regular back then, and the guy who used to do up pie charts at the drop of a hat. Can't think of his name offhand. Keith, maybe.

I can't watch Darcy, it would be a risk to my health :eek: but I used to love the chats when Brendan O'Connor was doing the show on Saturday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Same here.
    Harry Angstrom was another regular back then, and the guy who used to do up pie charts at the drop of a hat. Can't think of his name offhand. Keith, maybe.

I can't watch Darcy, it would be a risk to my health :eek: but I used to love the chats when Brendan O'Connor was doing the show on Saturday nights.

Yes, sounds like Keith16...with the pie charts :)

I miss so many of those posters, MrsD, amdublin, Harry Angstrong, GSW, keith16, Skid, Cofy, JohnathanAnon, twirlagig, OlDonie, WELSHMEGAMAN, sligojoek, jos28, so many more, apologies to those I left out.
    I loved those days in the tv lls show forum. Good times. My husband used to work away a lot and the 2kids (not baby goats, I promise, ) were tiny so the tv chat forum was so valuable to me then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Some great threads here years ago that got emailed around in the early days of internet for the Irish masses.

There was a guy with a safe, Trent and a lad with a robust weight ratio who worshipped a footballer called fellaini because even though he was 6ft 6 he still managed to keep his weight at the perfect level. He even awarded overtime to his staff based on their height and weight.

There was some really funny ones.
    I think a lot of fun threads with potential over the last few years get reported and virtue signaled into the grave before they start now.

If I recall correctly lads were trying to work out how to fairly share a mail order bride here years ago and nobody got a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

BDI wrote: »

There was a guy with a safe, Trent and a lad with a robust weight ratio who worshipped a footballer called fellaini because even though he was 6ft 6 he still managed to keep his weight at the perfect level. He even awarded overtime to his staff based on their height and weight.

That one called Conservatory last year has to be a reincarnation of the football fan then. All his posts are gone, must have made boards delete them.

"Robust BMI."

Even now, i cant bear the word robust.

There was another poster who had the measure of Conservatory and seemed to know he was a reincarnation and was always serving it up to him.

anewme wrote: »
    That one called Conservatory last year has to be a reincarnation of the football fan then. All his posts are gone, must have made boards delete them.

"Robust BMI."

There was another poster who had the measure of Conservatory and seemed to know he was a reincarnation and was always serving it up to him.

Maybe, but maybe he was just joking and some people took it too serious. I think the problem since the internet became popular is there are too many people who think they can change the agenda of a generation by reporting a post on a thread with 12 viewers.

• Advertisement

"Robust BMI."

Maybe, but maybe he was just joking and some people took it too serious. I think the problem since the internet became popular is there are too many people who think they can change the agenda of a generation by reporting a post on a thread with 12 viewers.

Some of it might have meant to been a joke, but there was some nasty undertones (to the Conservatory one anyway)

I remember him having a row with another poster because he felt that she (a woman) should not be earning more than him and being totally condescending belittling her profession.

He also attacked teachers one time. A teacher came on and put him in his box and that thread ended up in a big row as well.

Yeah maybe, as I said I just dropped in for a bit over the years a few times. An independent observer if you will.

For all I know his jackboot was on the neck of the sufferers.

Yeah maybe, as I said I just dropped in for a bit over the years a few times. An independent observer if you will.

For all I know his jackboot was on the neck of the sufferers.

Maybe it was two different posters allright.

Just the word "robust" and weight is a very similar mo.

You think two people had access to the same account? What’d that achieve?

Robust for me means impregnable and tough, weight means heavy.

Oxford dictionary might be the people to ask though.

This guy seems to have hurt you. Did you know him outside of here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I miss so many of those posters, MrsD, amdublin, Harry Angstrong, GSW, keith16, Skid, Cofy, JohnathanAnon, twirlagig, OlDonie, WELSHMEGAMAN, sligojoek, jos28, so many more, apologies to those I left out.
    I loved those days in the tv lls show forum. Good times. My husband used to work away a lot and the 2kids (not baby goats, I promise, ) were tiny so the tv chat forum was so valuable to me then.

Welshy's still around on the BBC 4 music thread, as is Skid who updates weekly with a very comprehensive roundup of all the music shows on all channels for the coming week. Sligo posts there too. We get to relive our teens watching Top of the Pops repeats on Beeb 4. There's a long running joke on thread relating to Nile Rogers. If you're into your music at all, it's a great thread. It's where all the cool kids hang out, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

banie01 wrote: »
    Is TbH still active?
    If memory serves used to see quite a lot of posts from them over on P.I.
    Always struck my as very considered.

An absolute gent. Haven't seen him post in a long while. Not sure if he has a new name or not.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    An absolute gent. Haven't seen him post in a long while. Not sure if he has a new name or not.

100% agreed, would you believe it's only now you've mentioned it that I know their gender ;)

As terribly stereotypical as it may sound, I'd generally assumed him to be female given how empathetic they always came across.

Fantastic poster tho IMO.

Who was the girl who got impregnated by a lad on here and they used to fight under the radar here by private message if anybody that posted in a thread they were fighting in.

For example a thread about how a girl was struggling because her baby’s father missed a payment,

A baby’s father would be posting saying maybe you get enough off the social.

If you then posted on the thread you would be bombarded by private messages from the two of them explaining how they were in the right and the other person was terrible.

You think two people had access to the same account? What’d that achieve?

Robust for me means impregnable and tough, weight means heavy.

Oxford dictionary might be the people to ask though.

This guy seems to have hurt you. Did you know him outside of here?

Why would he hurt me? I couldn't recall his name until someone else here said it. Just remember the robust BMI anf him being terribly condescending to people. Felt women should be at home raising children and not at work.

Just like other posters here, recalling the nice and not so nice posters on here.

Another one, same as the PB one, who went through the bother of making boards delete all his posts under GDPR. Says it all really.

• Advertisement

Why would he hurt me? I couldn't recall his name until someone else here said it. Just remember the robust BMI anf him being terribly condescending to people. Felt women should be at home raising children and not at work.

Just like other posters here, recalling the nice and not so nice posters on here.

Another one, same as the PB one, who went through the bother of making boards delete all his posts under GDPR. Says it all really.

Who knows?
    Any plans for tomorrow?

I hoovered up a spider that was in the bath, but I also hoovered up water, now the hoover wont go, could go into the stupidest thing thread. So hoover shopping probably.

I hoovered up a spider that was in the bath, but I also hoovered up water, now the hoover wont go, could go into the stupidest thing thread. So hoover shopping probably.

You can get Hoover’s that Hoover water, if this is a regular occurrence you might consider that.
    If not maybe having a man in your house, to act tough in front of might be of benefit to you.

If not maybe having a man in your house, to act tough in front of might be of benefit to you.

Not sure where that's come out of.

Anyway... back to the topic...

Spiders usually just walk back out once you put the Hoover away. Sleep well!

Won't be long till the new season L. It is possible to contribute to the forum while your OH is in the room. I do it all the time. It's better than watching the show.

Another few I miss from those nights are:

CountyHurler. (He's playing for Tipperary tomorrow)
    Peterthe Eight
    and Peter the ninth

Great bunch o' lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

So, just gonna blatantly plug this post again and hope John is watching..

Lets bust the thanx ceiling...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1

showthread.php?t=1

First post ever on the site..

I only discovered this thread yesterday

I joined in about 2006 to find out bus times. Within 5 minutes I got a warning after naming a barman who was giving out free drink after getting made redundant that morning.

. I joined again in 2010 to find out about getting Saorview after getting rid of Sky.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but was there any mention of "Lapin"? He came back for a while as something like "I'm not a rabbit".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Steve wrote: »
    So, just gonna blatantly plug this post again and hope John is watching..

Lets bust the thanx ceiling...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1

First post ever on the site..

Where it all started...

quake-ie.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think his ongoing rows with certain female posters (particularly metrovelvet as they'd had a very messy real world entanglement that lead to pure bile spilling out all across boards) and his utter disdain for feminism got him branded as a misogynist when it always seemed to me that he was more of a sociopath than a misogynist. Strangely (or perhaps not, as it often seems the case with guys like him) for a poster who was hated by so many of the women on here, he was one of those guys who never seemed to be short of female company the few times I met him IRL.

Generally enjoyed his posts generally condescending as hell and bit nasty but they were short clear and well written, unlike my own :pac:
    Was never on Private forums, never went to beers, never exchanged more than a few PM's with anyone so unaware of any non public forum drama so not clued in on that aspect but just thought he was a guy that had been screwed over in family court at some point as happens.

Women of boards =/= women in general, realistically for when he was posting most wasn't there was a fairly small group of female power posters that were very active, all friends on here that held pretty similar views and were popular that he was having the run in's with. Compare the way creepy Pm'rs that sucked up are remembered fondly which is probably worse than trading a few nasty public jabs.
    Had a lot of time for Duddess though myself.

Anybody remember the name of a woman poster who seemed to be a slightly older rich american, generally had an interesting and different take on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Fifty grades of Shay I miss his posts and of course Sphud (rip)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement