Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Hagar was funny and also nice.
    He was the mod of the lolocaust forum, which is/was a permissive humour forum. He fell out with the admins over something. He started a separate site called lolocaust. He changed the name of it because it was getting blacklisted or something. Closed the site soon after that because it was costing money to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

LambsEye!! she was this beautiful wild red headed girl who just disappeared :(

Someone just popped into my head...who was the guy who wore a red dress to an AH beers before as a dare? Think he was from cork.

I’m surprised no one’s mentioned Abi/Abigail, although she turned out to be a crazy.
    ello ello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Roger Hassenforder and KikiLaRue.

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about SeanyBiker, he was good craic alright.
    Pumpkinseed/Feline Overlord is another that comes to mind. Also a very witty poster called LambsEye.
    LambsEye!! she was this beautiful wild red headed girl who just disappeared :(
    LambsEye wrote: »
    ello ello.

Well. I've just had the most narcissistic memory fud reading posts from EIGHT YEARS AGO. Excuse me whilst I eat my own ears and turn inside-out with embarrassment.

Who knew I was such a dorkus?

Everyone. Everyone knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Hagar was funny and also nice.
    He was the mod of the lolocaust forum, which is/was a permissive humour forum. He fell out with the admins over something. He started a separate site called lolocaust. He changed the name of it because it was getting blacklisted or something. Closed the site soon after that because it was costing money to run.

“The Lolocaust?” Are you for ****ing real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I wish people would stop banging on about the loss of continuity re: closed accounts. The content that people post should be the barometer of a forum. If somebody returns after a closed account, they're still the same person, albeit over time maybe they've just dialled back or their views have changed as they get older. It happens, unless you're a rabid ideologue.

A lot of the people that don't like it often seem to be the kind of users that stuff out the matey flirty type threads in here, no issue with that but these days I just judge any posts by the content.

A lot of posters on here definitely got a easier time down the years because they were known boards personalities and /or part of private forums. Believe me, its true

Can see why the closed account thing is bad in terms of people wanting to cause trouble but for genuine users that may have had a multitude of reasons for closing accounts, the criticism often just comes across as Amp Test style old fogey cliquedom.

Reddit has shown me that username doesn’t mean much. I’ve read a lot of interesting threads there and barely take any notice of usernames. And I participate in a niche subreddit where I only know a handful of the names.

I think some people do love the community aspect of boards.ie and that was part of the attraction for them but for many, it’s not a big deal. And, yes, I’ve seen some longtermers get away with some eyeopening stuff down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Well. I've just had the most narcissistic memory fud reading posts from EIGHT YEARS AGO. Excuse me whilst I eat my own ears and turn inside-out with embarrassment.

Who knew I was such a dorkus?

Everyone. Everyone knew.

Hehehe, you're really Venom arn't you.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

ello ello.

WTF just happened?

This has to be the longest resurrection of an account ever.

Love it!

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Hehehe, you're really Venom arn't you.....

No, it truly me. Just an older, married, more tired version of me.
    WTF just happened?

This has to be the longest resurrection of an account ever.

Love it!

I mean firstly, I should probably change my passwords. Secondly, I have no clue what prompted the resurrection but there you go now. Isn't life just GAS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

"GAS"? Thats over reaching.

I'd say it's "o.k" at best. Thanks for coming back.

Chat again in 2027.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Reddit has shown me that username doesn’t mean much. I’ve read a lot of interesting threads there and barely take any notice of usernames. And I participate in a niche subreddit where I only know a handful of the names.

I think some people do love the community aspect of boards.ie and that was part of the attraction for them but for many, it’s not a big deal. And, yes, I’ve seen some longtermers get away with some eyeopening stuff down the years.

Must say I find it a tad odd that sometimes people judge others for choosing to be anonymous on an anonymous forum. In my online experience I have done both - had fleeting avatars and maintained a long term presence elsewhere with the same avatar. I dont know which is more illusory to be honest. Because both are illusory.
    Building an online persona using an avatar or handle over a long period of time is an act of deliberate cultivation, in that only certain aspects of the persona are highlighted, there is repression or disguise of realities that would otherwise be visible in real life. Its not like being long term anonymous is a truer true, its just longer. Being a fleeting avatar is also illusory, cultivated, a disguise, but it is also true insofar as any anonymity can be. Some people prefer one or the other, is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gynoid wrote: »
    Must say I find it a tad odd that sometimes people judge others for choosing to be anonymous on an anonymous forum. In my online experience I have done both - had fleeting avatars and maintained a long term presence elsewhere with the same avatar. I dont know which is more illusory to be honest. Because both are illusory.
    Building an online persona using an avatar or handle over a long period of time is an act of deliberate cultivation, in that only certain aspects of the persona are highlighted, there is repression or disguise of realities that would otherwise be visible in real life. Its not like being long term anonymous is a truer true, its just longer. Being a fleeting avatar is also illusory, cultivated, a disguise, but it is also true insofar as any anonymity can be. Some people prefer one or the other, is all.

Well, it’s even weirder than that - there’s sometimes judgement if somebody doesn’t stick to the original anonymous username they chose!

I’m the same. I’ve had several accounts on boards.ie but on another messageboard, I’ve had the same account and username since 2007 and have no intention of closing it. Neither fully reflects me and I’m a very different person to the one who opened that 2007 account.

I do think there are forum members here whose boards.ie identity is a big part of their whole identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    “The Lolocaust?” Are you for ****ing real?

oh, you wouldn't get away with it these days, what with woke culture and all that, no.

these days it'd have to be called something like Nein 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

ello ello.

Omg hi!!!

Omg hi!!!

What's changed in the last eight years?

• Advertisement

oh, you wouldn't get away with it these days, what with woke culture and all that, no.

these days it'd have to be called something like Nein 11

How droll. I would recommend you bone up on the Holocaust, maybe dive into a few books on the subject. You might learn that it was far from a laughing matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gay Byrne

How droll. I would recommend you bone up on the Holocaust, maybe dive into a few books on the subject. You might learn that it was far from a laughing matter.

Lol

What's changed in the last eight years?

People enjoy being offended so much more these days.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it emerged this “nice and funny” Hagar character had ties to white supremacist groups. Running a forum mocking the Holocaust and naming himself after a fictional Viking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I wouldn’t be surprised if it emerged this “nice and funny” Hagar character had ties to white supremacist groups. Running a forum mocking the Holocaust and naming himself after a fictional Viking.

Calm down for God's sake. It's just people having a laugh.

Gynoid wrote: »
    Building an online persona using an avatar or handle over a long period of time is an act of deliberate cultivation, in that only certain aspects of the persona are highlighted, there is repression or disguise of realities that would otherwise be visible in real life..

Not really. Those who know me in RL would say I speak the way I post. But yeah, I've encountered others in RL who are far more outspoken or aggressive online.

As for building an online persona, I never thought of such a thing... Most of my Daoc guild posted here, along with some LARP Buddies and I did the same... gradually moving into other forums. There wasn't anything intentional about building a persona, it was just easier to use the same account. Still is. :D

Calm down for God's sake. It's just people having a laugh.

Yeah I doubt you would think so if your wife and kids were Jewish.

The idea that there was a forum on this website mocking the Holocaust run by a person whose handle is based on a Scandinavian character is staggering. I’m surprised it wasn’t flagged as a hate site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lol

You forgot the O'Caust....
    All the very best genocides do have that sprinkling of Irish ;)

The idea that there was a forum on this website mocking the Holocaust run by a person whose handle is based on a Scandinavian character is staggering. I’m surprised it wasn’t flagged as a hate site.

There's also one called Nein Eleven. Just so you get get offended by something else today.

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's also one called Nein Eleven. Just so you get get offended by something else today.

Following me around, eh? Looking for sweets, no doubt.

I'm just posting in the thread like anyone else. I'm simply making you aware that there's a forum here called Nein Eleven and that you can get yourself worked over that too petal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Jizzlord and Rosabeez.... both passed away unfortunately. I think about them both regularly. They were both so young.

Otherwise, boards circa 2007-2011 was a special place. So many names, faces and fond memories (on a previous, now closed account of course!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Post reported. Lolocaust denial is not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah the font for the username handle on Reddit is so small that you've to squint to see it. It bothered me at first but I no longer take any notice of the username now. Its such a busy site with a huge user base that Id never remember who posted what anyway.

Didnt know Roger Hassenforder is gone which is a pity, was he banned or just left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

El Guapo
    Chucken
    Misticles
    -LOS-
    Dave!

Another list of legends/weirdos.

Oh, Ok then...:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ginandtonicsky.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

ToniTuddle, lovely, genuine poster. Always looked forward to their posts.

Off living a great life no doubt, good for them.

Like we didn't exist. As if we meant nothing.

Yeah, well, two can play at that game you know!

You think we couldn't just disappear too??

Shaking the dust of this place off our boots??

Well, we could, we could. We just choose not to is all.

Cause you know, maybe we're not as selfish as you, Toni!

Honestly, some people. Think the world revolves around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Tammy! is gone. She used to post here as Lorelli! too. I always liked her, she was funny and just the use of an exclamation mark at the end of her name always made me smile but I could never figure out why.

Also I previously lamented the closing of Yer Da sells Avon's account here but I am pleased to see he is back under a different name and as funny as ever.

Oh and A Tyrant Named Militiades! has disappeared too, his account is still open but he hasn't posted in three months. I hope he will return as again I find him funny. I have had a few online debates with him over the years and I like his style of debating, i.e. not just calling people twats but actually arguing the topic and he isn't afraid to laugh at his own expense and that's always a good quality in someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ginandtonicsky.

Ah she's lovely but its pretty obvious when she changes moniker every once in a while, she's still giving good advice in RI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ah she's lovely but its pretty obvious when she changes moniker every once in a while, she's still giving good advice in RI

Ursus and big bag of chips have been missing from that forum for a long time... They always gave well thought out advice..... Hope you are keeping well girls :)

Guy Person wrote: »
    Also I previously lamented the closing of Yer Da sells Avon's account here but I am pleased to see he is back under a different name and as funny as ever.

A positive development, can you unveil the identity via PM?

I'll confess to missing the good Tyrant, we're usually on opposing sides of the argument but never dull to spar with.

A positive development, can you unveil the identity via PM?
    I won't Bertie as I don't know if he wants to keep it a secret or not.

And sure while I have you here how is your dad doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dudess was quite the raconteur

• Advertisement

And sure while I have you here how is your dad doing?

And that's entirely fair.

The auld fellow is keeping the bright side out, I'm a firm believer that positivity builds immunity. Thanks for asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Pighead & The Pleasurer. Boards legends of old. :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Thanks. I'd prefer if it was kept a secret.

Edit: Ah, fuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Thanks. I'd prefer if it was kept a secret.

Edit: Ah, fuck.

Did your da pack in the Avon gig?

To thine own self be true

And that's entirely fair.

The auld fellow is keeping the bright side out, I'm a firm believer that positivity builds immunity. Thanks for asking.
    Good, I'm happy to read that Bertie and I like your attitude to it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kernel wrote: »
    Pighead & The Pleasurer. Boards legends of old. :-D

Pighead still around but not seen in AH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

The troll merchant BDI has deleted his account.

The troll merchant BDI has deleted his account.

Would you bring him back? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Would you bring him back? :p

Nope :D But I'm sure he'll be back soon. Similar to all the frequent re-regers who can't keep away from Boards!

Nope :D But I'm sure he'll be back soon. Similar to all the frequent re-regers who can't keep away from Boards!

Ah sure this place is irresistible really Big. With posters like your good self here how could we possibly stay away? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lot of names in this thread I would recognise but probably had very little interaction with.

Wonder whatever happened to Biggles though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement