Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Fear not all, for I am still among you all.
    I'm basically jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Nope :D But I'm sure he'll be back soon. Similar to all the frequent re-regers who can't keep away from Boards!

Like light to flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The troll merchant BDI has deleted his account.
    And Reviews And Books Galore. To know him was to love him...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Whatever happened to Absolam I wonder?. He used to post a lot in the A&A forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Guy Person wrote: »
    Ah sure this place is irresistible really Big. With posters like your good self here how could we possibly stay away? :D

You calling me fat? :D

We need more people like your good self, Guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

You calling me fat? :D

We need more people like your good self, Guy!
    Haha! Not at all! I was just too lazy to type your full username :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

tomwaterford seemed like a sound skin.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The troll merchant BDI has deleted his account.

Yeah he did the same last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Panthro wrote: »
    Fear not all, for I am still among you all.
    I'm basically jesus.

Our own, personal Jesus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Frada. Great poster.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Frada. Great poster.

How do you pronounce it though: Fray-dah or Frah-dah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

How do you pronounce it though: Fray-dah or Frah-dah

I’m a “fray-dah” don’t know!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

definitely frah dah :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Frada. Great poster.

Overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

anewme wrote: »
    Our own, personal Jesus?

Reach out and touch faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Was pighead mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jon1981 wrote: »
    Was pighead mentioned?

Only 7 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Only 7 times.

:D

Too lazy to search

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Ursus and big bag of chips have been missing from that forum for a long time... They always gave well thought out advice..... Hope you are keeping well girls :)

I miss them too! :(

• Advertisement

wiggle16 wrote: »
    I miss them too! :(

I can't quite remember the details but Ursus posted something a bit mean or off colour on a thread here. They were told not to post in the thread again and soon after closed their account.

I can't quite remember the details but Ursus posted something a bit mean or off colour on a thread here. They were told not to post in the thread again and soon after closed their account.

If we're thinking of the same post, I remember it and the reaction in the thread. I honestly don't think their post was meant to be mean at all, that would have been very out of character for Ursus especially on a thread like that, but people went to town on it because of how it was worded, which I thought was very unfair.

I was actually very sad to see they'd closed their account, Ursus was one of those posters I never skimmed reading and one of the first I took notice of when I first started using Boards (this is my first account, I'm a genuine newbie compared to nearly everyone else!).

I hope they're vigorously enjoying life wherever they are.

If we're thinking of the same post, I remember it and the reaction in the thread. I honestly don't think their post was meant to be mean at all, that would have been very out of character for Ursus especially on a thread like that, but people went to town on it because of how it was worded, which I thought was very unfair.

I was actually very sad to see they'd closed their account, Ursus was one of those posters I never skimmed reading and one of the first I took notice of when I first started using Boards (this is my first account, I'm a genuine newbie compared to nearly everyone else!).

I hope they're vigorously enjoying life wherever they are.

I'm genuinely saddened to hear about this. Always considered Ursus to be a rock of sense and I remember in a past life getting advice over a ****ty situation in PI and she was, of course, completely right.

Didn't know about that thread business but I hope in time she will come back, Boards needs more common sense posters like her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The comment was very tactless though, and bizarre for someone who gives good advice to people going through difficult times. Hope they come back however - no need to leave permanently over that.

Hope Alecto opens another account too.

I'm genuinely saddened to hear about this. Always considered her to be a rock of sense and I remember in a past life getting advice over a ****ty situation in PI and she was, of course, completely right.

Didn't know about that thread business but I hope in time she will come back, Boards needs more common sense posters like her.

I was too, genuinely. I didn't think it was possible to get "attached" to an inanimate username but when I saw her account was closed I actually got that lurch in my chest you get when you hear bad news. I know that's OTT, I'm not a sentimental person but that did get to me.

Her advice was always spot on. And she was well able to be honest about what she really thought without coming down like a tonne of bricks or being unkind. I doubt she realises how many people she really did help over the years. I hope she does.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    The comment was very tactless though, and bizarre for someone who gives good advice to people going through difficult times. Hope they come back however - no need to leave permanently over that.

Ah I know. As I say it was unlike her and I think it was the perfect storm - a post that could have been phrased better and got a bad reaction in a very busy thread. It's just a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The OP hasn't posted in three months now himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Honestly, I wouldn't "bring back" any.

Many are still around under different names anyway, but I am far more interested in the content of their posts than "boards celebs". I find it a bit cringe-worthy reading posts reminiscing about people whose main contributions were fantasies about their bowel movements or Walter Mitty financier lifestyle etc.

There's some people that I'd agree with more than others, but given how people seem to go through usernames these days it would be a full time job trying to keep up with it (I never seem to recognise a re-reg either unless it's pointed out).

I didn't know anything about that until now and indeed haven't even seen said comment so can't really give an opinion on that.

In fairness we all have our off days. Sometimes communicating online with someone,esp on here, things may come off as snarky or overly cutting when that is not at all the intention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

anyone thats not a nodeyspambot stir-agent

more old fashioned humans please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

If it's the post I'm thinking of, it was a very valid point. Albeit one that couldn't possibly have been made in a less appropriate thread.

• Advertisement

That reincarnation didn't last long :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ah I know. As I say it was unlike her and I think it was the perfect storm - a post that could have been phrased better and got a bad reaction in a very busy thread. It's just a pity.

Yeah it was a wtf post, moreso because it came from her. Though I will be honest and say I agreed with her sentiment....before I'm lynched unfortunately I've personal experience of that topic but handled with a different approach, so thankfully we have never experienced what that op was experiencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I dont know the person Ursus, and I dont know the post, but it is a problem with online anonymous forums that everyone projects and idealises both the positive and negative, the cyber personality is black and white, there is no room for nuance, and people forget that the space is not real life. It is an imaginal liminal space.

In real life we allow people we love to have darkness, to have real fcuked up spaces in their essential goodness, and because we can physically see and touch them we accept the complicated humanity of them. Precisely because we love them. And because we know we are all fcuked up to various degrees.

But an online persona creates an atmosphere around itself where we not only circumscribe our own selves and project what we want, but also others respond with their own projections and build up a completely idealised picture of who the other is. Bad or good.

The idea of being a wonderful, warm, wise, ever benevolent loving being is a total fantasy.

If the person Ursus said something out of character in real life, one who liked them would say ya mad wagon, goway outta that, but in cyber space the projected expectation is ruined, ridiculous idealisations shattered, the fantasy falls to pieces and there is an animus-ridden pile on.

Crazy space really, the ether.

I know I can be a bit snippy with my posts at times and it can be due to something entirely unrelated to the threa or the person I'm interacting with. I do hope Ursus is doing ok and that the account closure was maybe a "I need to step away for a bit" sort of thing and that she will return l. We are all human at the end of the day.

Yes Gynoid I absolutely agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Yes Gynoid I absolutely agree with you.

Thanks. But that is probably just because I am a wonderful, warm, wise and eternally benevolent person... ;):D

A wise post, Gynoid, but it sounds in this case that the poster themselves treated something in a very black and white manner? And I think that’s what causes a lot of problems online in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The poster who started this thread seems to have disappeared off Boards about 3 months ago. I wonder will they make a comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The poster who started this thread seems to have disappeared off Boards about 3 months ago. I wonder will they make a comeback.

Hopefully. An excellent “contributor” to the site, imo.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I know I can be a bit snippy

Only a bit ?

:pac::pac::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Link to this controversial post?

It wasn't controversial :)

It was a delicate subject matter but in "after hours".

What she said was abit blunt, but the phrase "only saying what everyone else is thinking " did spring to mind. Though that would be my own personal view on the matter.

It was a shock as she's an extremely considered poster and takes lots of time giving absolute fantastic advice in personal issues. If the comment came from the majority of after hours posters it wouldn't have registered with me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

So.....what did she say? :pac:

Gynoid wrote: »
    Thanks. But that is probably just because I am a wonderful, warm, wise and eternally benevolent person... ;):D

Sure I know exactly how it is.

:D

Only a bit ?

:pac::pac::p

Can a mod look at this please.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Ah lads, I just came across this thread and was heartened to see my name crop up a few times. It convinced me to sign back up (I've lurked over the last few months even when I haven't been posting.) I thought about picking an entirely new username but I have a rapport with a number of you I'd like to maintain.

Hope everyone is doing well, the latter half of January can be tough for lots of us!

I'm happy to be back, and as a New Year's Boards Resolution I'll be attempting to keep spats to a minimum.

As for the OP, like many I miss the Backwards Man (and sorry to disappoint the other ladies but I too was the recipient of the occasional PM). I'm sorry to see Tyrant's taken a break too, but I'm sure he'll be back.

So.....what did she say? :pac:

What everyone was thinking.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Ah lads, I just came across this thread and was heartened to see my name crop up a few times. It convinced me to sign back up (I've lurked over the last few months even when I haven't been posting.) I thought about picking an entirely new username but I have a rapport with a number of you I'd like to maintain.

Hope everyone is doing well, the latter half of January can be tough for lots of us!

I'm happy to be back, and as a New Year's Boards Resolution I'll be attempting to keep spats to a minimum.

As for the OP, like many I miss the Backwards Man (and sorry to disappoint the other ladies but I too was the recipient of the occasional PM). I'm sorry to see Tyrant's taken a break too, but I'm sure he'll be back.

How's the cat? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Major dose of nostalgia reading this thread.
    There are also a rake of former posters that I am glad are gone too. Right doses some of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The pup turned one the other day :) I've been working abroad for a few weeks so she's down the country being spoiled rotten by my parents, hope to have her back next week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

**Kiki3 scrambling back thru kikis posts to get a description of the cat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement