Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

As for the OP’s question, I know there are absolutely loads of posters I’d love to see around here again. The sad thing is, I only remember them when I read old threads.

I totally forgot about lots of names til they cropped up here. Starbelgrade! Blast from the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This is therapeutic.

This. No doubt a mod will be along shortly with a cease & desist order, but it's nice to finally be able to openly call out his bullsh!t for what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The sad thing is, I only remember them when I read old threads.

Ditto, and as I was reading thru this thread other names popped up that I go, ahhh yeah!
    They were a cool poster!

Then I find out that maybe they are still around here and then find that they may very well be another poster that I think is pretty cool ;)

_Dara_ and anna080 being 2 such examples :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He said I talked about having cancer too much. Well, I do, it’s true. So I was really embarrassed.

No it's not true, OBD. And it wasn't true when you posted as -Dara-, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Paddy147 for the DIY advice
    FredSwanson for the pics
    AndersonIsGod for the chaos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

The cohort that used to frequent The (original) Thunderdome were some of the funniest fookers boards had ever seen.

Captain Darling
    Yekahs / yitzak rabin
    Sergeant
    Quality
    Mad Chef
    Bronte
    Loopy
    Creeping Death

There were others too i cannot remember. Iirc it was a post from yekahs that ultimately led to the dome getting torpedoed as an admin took a personal issue with it.

I'm laughing at the ones you forgot as much as the ones you remember :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

josip wrote: »
    Paddy147 for the DIY advice
    FredSwanson for the pics
    AndersonIsGod for the chaos

Another sad BS artist. Some of what he had to say was occasionally amusing, but it was such a pity that a lad who obviously knew a lot about football was more happy putting that knowledge to use winding people up than actually talking properly about the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'm laughing at the ones you forgot as much as the ones you remember :pac: :pac:
    Slidey, Degsy, Armin... I'm well able to hold my own usually but that place, scary. Hilarious too until it really felt like people were starting to mean it.

The Know Your Domers thread had me buckled. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

e_e

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Slidey, Degsy, Armin... I'm well able to hold my own usually but that place, scary. Hilarious too until it really felt like people were starting to mean it.

The Know Your Domers thread had me buckled. :D
    I don't think it ever got to the point where people were starting to mean it. But then I didn't see the drama that brought the place down, what exactly happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Slidey, Degsy, Armin...

Ah yeah, the B-listers.
    I imagine you can still find them on Tinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

ODB. I didn't realise who you were.
    Great to hear from you, was afraid you were either unwell or that goon drove you away from here.
    Although, I have to admit, I thought he was just a blowhole narcissist, not a Walter Mitty.
    Just realised the strength of my trust in people.
    Wonder is it possible if he and Aonghus are the same too.
    Back on topic.
    I miss that guy, Liam. The one who had no money but had plans to buy a house to let.
    He always kept me entertained because I didn't know if he was just a guy with notions or an out and out fantasist.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Is Scofflaw gone?

I would have included him if I'd known. I no longer use the politics forum on a point of principle (the principle being I was banned once over a discussion about economic policy and took an enormous sulk).

I don't think Scofflaw was knowledgeable per se, in that he mentioned he had a background in IT as opposed to politics or economics, so he'd almost never critique a theory so long as the i's were dotted and the T's were crossed. Theory wasn't his thing; he had no time for pretense or boy-intellectuals, which is a good thing. It was his ability to read large volumes of policy and distill them down to their most crucial points that I found hugely enviable. He'd make a great journalist, if he isn't one.

I would wonder how his posts have aged, he was very pro-EU and in the Lisbon Referendums I remember him being pretty dismissive about concerns relating to it.
    He may have been technically right about a lot of it but very wrong about the roots of the worries considering how much more vulnerable Ireland will be to negative QMV now the UK is leaving, EU armies being publicly talked about and the signing up to PESCO etc, lot of talk of pressure on Irish corporation tax rates.

Also didnt have some strange views on what was or wasnt state aid?

Basically he was as an ideological a poster as anyone is, with a better grasp of overly complicated texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

ODB. I didn't realise who you were.
    Great to hear from you, was afraid you were either unwell or that goon drove you away from here.
    Although, I have to admit, I thought he was just a blowhole narcissist, not a Walter Mitty.
    Just realised the strength of my trust in people.
    Wonder is it possible if he and Aonghus are the same too.
    Back on topic.
    I miss that guy, Liam. The one who had no money but had plans to buy a house to let.
    He always kept me entertaining because I didn't know if he was just a guy with notions or an out and out fantasist.

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Pa Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

bluewolf wrote: »
    I totally forgot about lots of names til they cropped up here. Starbelgrade! Blast from the past

Awww, Starbelgrade. Yeah, see that’s what I mean. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Permabear and Aonghus are very different in style, even if much of the content is similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Permabear had no sense of humour, something you could never accuse AVB of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

begbysback wrote: »
    Well he posts a lot in the soccer forum so that would explain the name calling, and I’d agree completely inoffensive.

I think he was fed up of being wound up by a few opposing fans.

Mike65s closing post is a thing of beauty, though, a joy forever. Well worth looking up:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mike65s closing post is a thing of beauty, though, a joy forever. Well worth looking up:pac:

GDPR has killed that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Gem!

I'm not getting over excited, Exclamation point was in the name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This thread started out like a funeral where people share happy memories of those departed but now everyone is pissed and the truth is coming out in the pub afterward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

faceman wrote: »
    This thread started out like a funeral where people share happy memories of those departed but now everyone is pissed and the truth is coming out in the pub afterward!

Indeed. We even have the "I'm warning you" granny in the form of whomever is snipping posts.

ETA, before whoever it is sends me an angry PM about questioning mod decisions in-thread: I have no problem with mod actions once they are clearly laid out with the reason for the action by the mod in question. I might not agree with the reasoning behind them, but I won't argue with them. I do have an issue with snipped/deleted posts that have no accompanying note.

Also, apologies if the edit/snip/mod note is there and I just can't see it on the touch site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Great for popcorn sales.....

Boards' Jimmy Savile moment.

Boards' Jimmy Savile moment.
    Was that not already in the sexual harassment thread tho? ;)

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Hugo Stiglitz
    tomwaterford
    Winterlong
    Menas
    Missbubbles78, or something similar
    Slasher McGurk
    Mike Oxlong and all of his other incarnations :)

There are lots more I'm sure. Also, I'm not the brightest at spotting re regs.

Tom was one that I had forgotten. I was just after writing a PM to him and wasn't able to send it because he had just closed his account.

He always struck me as a sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I will admit that there have been no memorable posters that immediately popped into my mind. I do vaguely remember a poster called phasers who seemed to come across as a nice person. That's about it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I will admit that there have been no memorable posters that immediately popped into my mind. I do vaguely remember a poster called phasers who seemed to come across as a nice person. That's about it really.

Who are you?

• Advertisement

Tom was one that I had forgotten. I was just after writing a PM to him and wasn't able to send it because he had just closed his account.

He always struck me as a sound guy.

Totally agree, seemed like a lovely fella.

Menas/Whiskeyman was the same person, loved his posts,Hugo was great also...there used to be great craic on the thread years ago, then a warning about no chatting and it would quieten for a day and then back to normal until the next warning.

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am half convinced that Permabear and Peter Casey the former presidential candidate were the same people that or he was Declan Ganley brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Do tell us !

He said I talked about having cancer too much. Well, I do, it’s true. So I was really embarrassed. I had got pretty personal too on the thread towards him too but I was just fed up hearing about his supposed wife and general self-praising drivel. It was a clusterfuck.

I did not cop that poster was a spoofer, I jusy he was just an insufferable sexist arsehole. I remember he rescued his wife from a gang or something.

I was going to post here yesterday to ask did anyone remember the lovely poster who was very honest about cancer said to myself it might not be apropriate. So posting style makes perfect sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

fullstop wrote: »
    Julep.

:P
    Complete and utter wanker. Glad to see him gone, P.
    On a similar topic, pretty sure I saw Bronte swigging from a bottle of 2019 Merlot on a park bench in Camden recently. The Theatre is a cruel industry, and I expect that "Italian" of hers has his residence visa by now.

She was so nice it'd make you feel bad for acting the cnut.
    A genuinely nice person, and the next time you see her, please tell her that I owe her a few bottles of Merlot.
    Terry you were the very best..
    I don't like compliments, but I really was.
    Stoner wrote: »
    Vexorg.

A machine on the reported posts.
    A great example of a fair admin.
    Pushed the ethos of boards as well as any.
    I think he was the one who changed my name from the stupid one I signed up with.
    Is WhiteWashMan still around?
    No idea, but if you want to blame anyone for me being a mod, then he's the one.
    Also, his girlfriend (or wife. I can't remember) was ****ing sound. I can't remember her username, but she was funny as **** too.
    On a more positive note, WhiteWashMan has been mentioned already, and he banned me within a couple of days of my joining this site. He didn't suffer fools gladly and took no shït, and we could do with a few more of his kind around here.
    Banned me early on too. It was fair. I was being a dick.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    Karoma was a great mod of AH back in the day. Had a lot of time for him.
    He was the yin to my yang. Or the opposite or something. He kept me grounded as much as he could possibly manage.
    I’m going to give a shout out to Karl Hungus, one of the original mods of the Film and set out a positive culture in the place.

Not arsed looking it up, but some eejit from stormfront used to make derogatory cartoons about him. He included me in one of them, and we had a good laugh at it.

Anyway, Windsock was the greatest AH regular ever. Very nice person in real life too.

As for the mods who are looking to see if I have an alt account, don't bother. I don't have one. I stand by my posts.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92815597&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was just about to say there was a poster called Merkin whose posts I enjoyed in PI back in the day, and when I logged on just now I see she has posted in the last few minutes in another thread for what looks like the first time in a few years :eek:

Sorcery

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Didn't Windsock just change her name to something a little more offensive? Thought she was still around anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I was sad to see Dots recently closed her account, her username was ‘.......’.

She always came across as very intelligent and knowledgeable and made excellent contributions in the fitness forum. I have no idea why she even left but I hope she comes back, I miss seeing her posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Others I've forgotten

My_name_is_url
    Penn
    Tbh
    Gem
    Monkeyfudge
    Ruu
    Phasers
    Alwaysadub :pac:
    Damo el diablo
    Snow monkey/snowie
    Wellallhavetea
    El weirdo
    Lizt
    Mickey dolenz
    Sergeant
    Walrus
    Spirit of shankly :D
    OPR
    Smashey
    Berutiel

bluewolf wrote: »
    is everyone a re reg around here

Yep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Terry wrote: »
    No idea, but if you want to blame anyone for me being a mod, then he's the one.
    Also, his girlfriend (or wife. I can't remember) was ****ing sound. I can't remember her username, but she was funny as **** too.

Majds (Mines a jack daniels).

I mentioned her earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Eden Hazard was hilarious to read. The time he got slayed beyond belief in the lookalike thread was a joy to behold. I'd love to link it but it's probably in bad taste. He was fully convinced he looked like Zac Efron and when he submitted his picture everyone decided he looked like Naboo from the Mighty Boosh. It killed him.

He came back under a few different monikers but always gave himself away with words such as ''legit'', ''looksmax'' and his jealousy of Rugby players in south Dublin and their perceived status with the girls. Ah Eden, you beautiful man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Im here since 2007.

So many mad fcukers came and went and came again, the place was great craic. Only for I remember what it once was (due to the quality of the posters), id be proper gone by now.

If I only found this site today and joined...Id be gone, its a fcuking toilet.

Danny Mc (cant remember his name) was a sound lad....I remember waxing his ballbag at an AH charity piss up.

Another mention of tomwaterford, sound guy.

Does anyone remember that Canadian girl that went bananas and quit. Looking back...maybe she wasnt a girl and maybe she wasnt Canadian but thats what she was/saying she was anyway...either way, I liked the account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think he was fed up of being wound up by a few opposing fans.

This post reminded me of the final post and rage quit by Pilsbury Doughboy over on the Liverpool forum on New Years Day, that was truly a thing of beauty. I looked it up earlier but the username is blanked so think it has been lost to GDPR. Its a shame really, it was without doubt the best Fcuk yis all post Ive ever seen on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Doea anyone remeber that Canadian girl that went bananas and quit. Looking back...maybe she wasnt a girl and maybe she wasnt Canadian but thats what she was/sayimg she was anyway...either way, I liked the account.

Liah

Yeah, I thought she might be fake at the time too but I don’t actually think she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Omackeral wrote: »
    Eden Hazard was hilarious to read. The time he got slayed beyond belief in the lookalike thread was a joy to behold. I'd love to link it but it's probably in bad taste. He was fully convinced he looked like Zac Efron and when he submitted his picture everyone decided he looked like Naboo from the Mighty Boosh. It killed him.

He came back under a few different monikers but always gave himself away with words such as ''legit'', ''looksmax'' and his jealousy of Rugby players in south Dublin and their perceived status with the girls. Ah Eden, you beautiful man.

The know your lookalikes was an outstanding thread. When the poster eternal posted thinking it was a thread to get compliments, her subsequent hissy fit was wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Doea anyone remeber that Canadian girl that went bananas and quit. Looking back...maybe she wasnt a girl and maybe she wasnt Canadian but thats what she was/sayimg she was anyway...either way, I liked the account.

Her name was Leah

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Her name was Leah

Was she an optician by any chance?

Liah

Yeah, I thought she might be fake at the time too but I don’t actually think she was.

oh man i had completely forgotten about her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The know your lookalikes was an outstanding thread. When the poster eternal posted thinking it was a thread to get compliments, her subsequent hissy fit was wonderful.

That was magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yeah, that Frada guy was a real jerk alright. Think he and javaboy were the same guy actually. Sad.

Dudess was a dude (of course).

And the Thunderdome crew were basically a bunch o' lads who were in their thirties in their twenties.

Still, at least you knew where you stood with that lot unlike the modern day snowflakes who close and reopen accounts more often than a Fianna Fáil finance minister.

Aaah, Dudess is still among us. I’m surprised how many times she’s been mentioned as a boardsie of the past! :eek: Very distinctive posting style that I recognise on each new account.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This post reminded me of the final post and rage quit by Pilsbury Doughboy over on the Liverpool forum on New Years Day, that was truly a thing of beauty. I looked it up earlier but the username is blanked so think it has been lost to GDPR. Its a shame really, it was without doubt the best Fcuk yis all post Ive ever seen on here.

OMG I'd forgotten that:D

I'm sure there's a few lurking that would be able to supply you with a link to that post, it was a cracker:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement