Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What boardsies would you bring back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Im here since 2007.

So many mad fcukers came and went and came again, the place was great craic. Only for I remember what it once was (due to the quality of the posters), id be proper gone by now.

If I only found this site today and joined...Id be gone, its a fcuking toilet.

Danny Mc (cant remember his name) was a sound lad....I remember waxing his ballbag at an AH charity piss up.

Another mention of tomwaterford, sound guy.

Does anyone remeber that Canadian girl that went bananas and quit. Looking back...maybe she wasnt a girl and maybe she wasnt Canadian but thats what she was/saying she was anyway...either way, I liked the account.

Danniemcq, sound lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Danny Mc (cant remember his name) was a sound lad....I remember waxing his ballbag at an AH charity piss up.

God that was a great beers. Danny was sound, apart from the time we were at a mod beers and he infracted me because I told him I’d never gotten a card before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Quick reminder, folks, no naming the current new reg of old posters unless they choose to do it themselves.

Buford T. Justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

josip wrote: »
    Paddy147 for the DIY advice
    FredSwanson for the pics
    AndersonIsGod for the chaos

AIG for the endless pro-Barcelona talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

VeryOwl wrote: »
    Was it ever proven he was making it all up? I mostly lurked in politics in my previous guise, and I didn't really agree with him but I took his "life" at face value. Maybe I'm not cynical enough!

Scofflaw was a fantastic poster.

I totally believed in PB and his life. His libertarian philosophy sucked though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mike65 just to see him breaking the 100k posts he would have deserved all his stars highlighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Arghus wrote: »
    Another sad BS artist. Some of what he had to say was occasionally amusing, but it was such a pity that a lad who obviously knew a lot about football was more happy putting that knowledge to use winding people up than actually talking properly about the game.

I was wondering if anyone would mention AndersonIsGod. Whilst the La Liga thread is unfortunately very quiet since he departed some of the shïte he came out with was unreal.

Sad thing was he could be a great contributer as he knew a huge amount about soccer if he wasn't a WUM 99% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Mike65 just to see him breaking the 100k posts he would have deserved all his stars highlighted.

Who has the most posts on Boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who has the most posts on Boards?

ILoveYourVibes will have if they keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This post reminded me of the final post and rage quit by Pilsbury Doughboy over on the Liverpool forum on New Years Day, that was truly a thing of beauty. I looked it up earlier but the username is blanked so think it has been lost to GDPR. Its a shame really, it was without doubt the best Fcuk yis all post Ive ever seen on here.

That post was deleted by the soccer mods as they felt it was being brought up to often.

It was a thing of beauty and deserved to be brought up often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ODB. I didn't realise who you were.
    Great to hear from you, was afraid you were either unwell or that goon drove you away from here.
    Although, I have to admit, I thought he was just a blowhole narcissist, not a Walter Mitty.
    Just realised the strength of my trust in people.
    Wonder is it possible if he and Aonghus are the same too.
    Back on topic.
    I miss that guy, Liam. The one who had no money but had plans to buy a house to let.
    He always kept me entertained because I didn't know if he was just a guy with notions or an out and out fantasist.
    anewme wrote: »
    I did not cop that poster was a spoofer, I jusy he was just an insufferable sexist arsehole. I remember he rescued his wife from a gang or something.

I was going to post here yesterday to ask did anyone remember the lovely poster who was very honest about cancer said to myself it might not be apropriate. So posting style makes perfect sense!

I have to admit, Permabear had me fooled too mainly because he kept all the details of his tales very consistent and in his early days of posting on boards.ie seemed sane enough.

Leah was fantastic, and maybe made up as she was a computer nerds dream.

Hot Canadian girl with daily photos who moved to Mullingar(!) To be with her boyfriend whom she had only met online gaming.

Had anyone ever actualy met her?

Sound:
    Outlaw Pete
    We'llallhavetea
    Starbelgrade
    SlasherMcGurk
    Alwaysadub
    Snowmonkey
    Windsock
    Dudess
    Strobe
    Millicent

And the massively entertaining Biggins who continues to entertain in even greater muchso larger still

And many more I forget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

TomSweeney wrote: »
    He posted often about their sex life in the sexuality forum, it was creepy to be honest.
    he was ~41/42 .. wife was 20, obviosuly has daddy issues - he posted this himself.

I think a 41 year old and a 20 year old is creepier than a 22 and 17 year old for example - even though the law might not agree.

What about 19 yr age gap?

There was a forum member whose posts I used to stalk a bit because I was utterly fascinated by how much he loathed Irish women. He loathed us to the point of fixation. I know his username - can anyone guess it? :) He’s not active currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Re: Permabear, I didn't think he was a fantasist. I never interacted with him but saw red any time I read one of his posts during "the great recession". I would then trawl through his previous posts looking for inconsistencies and errors - the boasting fantasists almost always mess up in this respect - however I couldn't find any evidence of that for him. His story of how he made his millions (making Warren Buffet seem like an amateur) was implausible but consistent. Having said that, it always seemed very strange that someone who claimed such wealth had the inclination to spend so much time on boards.ie posting about teachers being overpaid (with them even managing to afford BMW cars!) all while moderating the Learning to Drive forum. I wonder does Warren Buffet moderate internet forums?

IMO, community spirit on boards.ie was damaged by the recession and the type of posting that went on in the Irish Economy forum.

One positive for me though is, I wouldn't have the wealth I have today were it not for all that nonsense - during that period I developed an extreme saving habit, a form of bunker mentality as evidenced by post 27 in this thread. It has served me well. Thanks PB and Co!

• Advertisement

There was a forum member whose posts I used to stalk a bit because I was utterly fascinated by how much he loathed Irish women. He loathed us to the point of fixation. I know his username - can anyone guess it? :) He’s not active currently.

there seem to be a few of those
    was it two words, t and c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Anyone seen Graces 7 recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Aaah, Dudess is still among us. I’m surprised how many times she’s been mentioned as a boardsie of the past! :eek: Very distinctive posting style that I recognise on each new account.

She posts like a dude.
    Leah was fantastic, and maybe made up as she was a computer nerds dream.

Hot Canadian girl with daily photos who moved to Mullingar(!) To be with her boyfriend whom she had only met online gaming.

Had anyone ever actualy met her?

Don’t remember her having a boyfriend. Thought she was just traveling and ended up in Ireland.

She posted on some Q and A forum and posters were fairly merciless with her. Got the impression she was real by the end of it.

It really is such a shame all his posts are deleted. I would love to go back and read them now.

He was a one man hysteria on GDPR at the time, he seems to have caused the ill advised post deletions that happened around then.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Have had a few accounts. It looks flaky for sure but some people read waaaay too much into it - coming to all sorts of conclusions about mental health and so on. It can really be just as simple as wanting to stay off Boards for a while or just feeling like a new account. Boring reasons.

Indubitably.

Aye, I don’t understand the overanalysing of account changes. I also post on reddit and that place showed me how little accounts matter. The content is the interesting part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,948 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sardonicat wrote: »

Posted earlier on the LTI thread, fairly active over there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Sound:
    Outlaw Pete

He is still here. He posts in current affairs a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Is byte still on the go? Very knowledgeable guy.

SeanyBiker was great craic on the Waterford forums years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

lassykk wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone would mention AndersonIsGod. Whilst the La Liga thread is unfortunately very quiet since he departed some of the shïte he came out with was unreal.

Sad thing was he could be a great contributer as he knew a huge amount about soccer if he wasn't a WUM 99% of the time

That's the thing. He could have been one of the best posters on that forum, he obviously followed the game pretty closely and was an articulate poster, but he just wanted to play games and get people's frustration going. I don't understand that mentality. He could run rings around people in a debate because if there's one forum people will always take the bait and lose the head it's soccer. It was sad how much he wasted his own and others time.

I think the persona was becoming a bit too real for him by the end. The borderline insane persecution complex is clear here and the delusions of Grandeur -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99900782

bluewolf wrote: »
    there seem to be a few of those
    was it two words, t and c

One word with two syllables. :D

So he’s right; the assholes do get all the attention.

Is Mussolini / Wolfetone still around?

Massive Shinner and would debate from one end of the day to the next, but was always well informed and respectful. I presences an instance when some of his greatest opponents jumped to his defence when getting a hard time, such was the quality of his posting style.

There was a lot of talk of brummytom getting laid. Did he ever manage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Funnily enough, a friend of mine from Donegal once described his neighbour (This was in 2012 I think) and I was certain that it was Permabear.

It turned out not to be him. Or maybe it was, minus some made up details? Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

One word with two syllables. :D
    I immediately thought of someone who specifically hated Irish women (not just women - that would be harder to narrow down ;)) and a two-syllable name. Hasn't posted publicly in about 18 months but profile does say last active only two days ago. Amirite? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sardonicat wrote: »

You do know that she is actually

Nell McCafferty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The lad with the half burned **** box

Panthro wrote: »

You really have to narrow that one down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Panthro wrote: »

That was reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’d know him a mile off if he appeared again. Random statistics obnoxiously shoehorned into everyfcukingsentence, offensively polysyllabic writing style where concise sentences would do, and frequently italicised words in order to appear ultra high net intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Saibh
    Sauve
    Askmychocolate
    DJ spider ha ha
    Stupidusername
    stovelid
    Turd Ferguson
    Banshee bones
    Anonoboy.

I'll stop now.

(PS I know other disciplines do this, in less élite schools; but Princeton?)

Preferred this before the autocorrect.

He hardly had an undergraduate's understanding of most things he posted about. That was obvious but I guess not to everyone. He wasn't that intelligent but he was extremely articulate; which I suppose is how he took so many in and is also why people are still talking about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

You do know that she is actually

Nell McCafferty

Assuming this is a joke ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wonder is he reading this. Haha hi PB

tenor.gif?itemid=4982968

• Advertisement

Late to this thread but I remember going to my first ever Boards beers in 2009, in Ron Blacks (called 37 now I think). Degsy was probably the poster who stood out to me the most who was there cos he was so “prolific” on boards. He was seeing another Boardsie at the time, Pikachucheeks or something? Neither of them are around any more, but he was nearly double her age and I remember thinking Jesus if this is what Boards infamy gets you then fair fcks. Actually there was another similar couple at the time, W*** and Novella. Again he was close to double her age. Jesus the boards men really had it going on back then. Where are they all now eh.

*think this one is still around

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Who was the person claiming to be in a semi monogamous three way relationship, with kids attached. Was that PB? Or am I getting my boardsies mixed up here.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Preferred this before the autocorrect.

He hardly had an undergraduate's understanding of most things he posted about. That was obvious but I guess not to everyone. He wasn't that intelligent but he was extremely articulate; which I suppose is how he took so many in and is also why people are still talking about him.
    he was certainly articulate but there was no depth to it. He spent more time playing the Countdown thread in the Mathematics Forum that he spent talking about Finance, economics maths. If that's not a giveaway I don't know what is.

I don't know much about Finnegans Wake, but going by what people here are saying, it was the exact same scenario. All talk and no substance.

Hindsight is. 20/20, I fully admit I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at various stages, but looking back now its abundantly obvious what he was at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Starbelgrade was probably the wittiest person I’ve ever seen on this board. Absolutely razor sharp.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Andersonisgod, yes he was a troll but his posts were utterly hilarious. Every time Messi scored in the champions league I was scrambling for my phone to get his hot off the presses post on it.

The only poster I can think of in the memorable mould these days is Wibbs, very intelligent guy and his posts are always very informative and concise. He’ll be a big loss if he ever does leave.

Necro wrote: »
    Who was the person claiming to be in a semi monogamous three way relationship, with kids attached. Was that PB? Or am I getting my boardsies mixed up here.

I think that’s TaxAHCruel and pretty sure he’s still here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think that’s TaxAHCruel and pretty sure he’s still here.

Ah... yeah. Oops :pac:

Not as versed in my history of posters as others, I really only keep to my own little corner for the most part!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The lad that was in an argument and demanded his opponent to "Withdraw!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Funny thing about Permabear was how so many people got sucked in by his fantasies, he had a cult following there towards the end. I just couldnt square a wealthy hedge fund owner spending most of his days posting on boards, it didnt add up.

Permabear left quite an impression apparently, at least according to this thread.

I got my first and so far only infraction because I called out his shít in a post in quite harsh words, shortly afterwards he quit boards and got all his posts deleted.

I accepted the infraction because my behaviour was against the rules, but I still don't regret it and I'm glad he's gone, because he popped up everywhere to spread his "lifestyle".

Anyway, some time ago I was wondering where LadyMacbeth has gone. I liked her sense of humour, but I remember she was very ill. Hope she is fine.

Did The Backwards Man fall into the bog cutting turf? He was a right wan for sending the ladies PMs. So I'm told anyway!
    And Boneyarsedbogman, he's not around anymore either.
    Only recently missed Big Bag of Chips but she seemed kinda cross.

Ah god I miss my regular drunken PMs from Backwards Man. He was a nice fella in real life, I even went on a trip to Iceland with him. Didn’t agree with most of his opinions that he spouted on here but entertaining all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did The Backwards Man fall into the bog cutting turf? He was a right wan for sending the ladies PMs. So I'm told anyway!
    And Boneyarsedbogman, he's not around anymore either.
    Only recently missed Big Bag of Chips but she seemed kinda cross.

Ah god I miss my regular drunken PMs from Backwards Man. He was a nice fella in real life, I even went on a trip to Iceland with him. Didn’t agree with most of his opinions that he spouted on here but entertaining all the same.
    Could he be coaxed back?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

El Guapo
    Chucken
    Misticles
    -LOS-
    Dave!

Another list of legends/weirdos.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement