Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel insurance and cancellation

• 12-08-2019 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

We couldn't go on a trip to UK in June as I was sick 2 days before it. My GP gave me a Cert for 7 days, saying I wasn't fit for travel, work etc. I rang Irish Ferries to cancel, but they said I couldn't do so, as their policy stated that there was no refund less than a week beforehand, and their policy does actually state this. They said they would offer me a credit note, but I didn't accept this, as I wouldn't be going to the UK again. I was going for a residential cooking course, and the accommodation was included. I submitted all the documentation to my travel insurance, including the receipt for the payments for the ferry and the cookery course and accommodation. I also submitted the cancellation policy of Irish Ferries. However, the travel insurance company said they won't even look at my claim until I have a cancellation invoice from Irish Ferries, even though I submitted the medical certificate, the receipt from Irish Ferries and their cancellation policy. Irish Ferries can't issue me a cancellation invoice, as I never canceled the ferry, as it couldn't be canceled 2 days before it was due to depart. The cookery course providers also couldn't refund as the cancellation notice was too late. The travel insurance said they won't cover this. Any ideas on how I can deal with not being able to get a cancellation notice from Irish Ferries for the insurance company?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You should have cancelled the ferry.
    Cancellations are permitted, just no refund would be due.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Thanks for reply. We didn't know this. The Ferry Company just said they could not cancel as it was too close to time, but they could give us a credit note, which we said we didn't want. They just directed us to our travel insurance company, and never mentioned we would need a travel cancellation invoice for the travel insurance company. Now the travel insurance company won't refund the money, though we have an email from the Ferry Company confirming that we did not travel under the booking reference we made, and that we were out of pocket for 347 euros. The coookery school where we were supposed to go that week, which included accommodation, also sent an email to the travel company saying that we could not cancel as it was too close to the time, and stating the exact cost of activity and accommodation, which was 680 sterling, but the travel insurance company won't refund that either. We have sent in medical cert and GP statement etc. to travel insurance, but they still won't refund us. Is there anything we can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hannaho wrote: »
    Hi! Thanks for reply. We didn't know this. The Ferry Company just said they could not cancel as it was too close to time, but they could give us a credit note, which we said we didn't want. They just directed us to our travel insurance company, and never mentioned we would need a travel cancellation invoice for the travel insurance company. Now the travel insurance company won't refund the money, though we have an email from the Ferry Company confirming that we did not travel under the booking reference we made, and that we were out of pocket for 347 euros. The coookery school where we were supposed to go that week, which included accommodation, also sent an email to the travel company saying that we could not cancel as it was too close to the time, and stating the exact cost of activity and accommodation, which was 680 sterling, but the travel insurance company won't refund that either. We have sent in medical cert and GP statement etc. to travel insurance, but they still won't refund us. Is there anything we can do?

Why won’t they pay out?
    Contact the insurance ombudsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Make a written complaint to the company first before contacting ombudsman

Advertisement