Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good genuine mechanics Louth anyone?

• 12-08-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Hi

Am on the lookout for a good honest mechanic around Louth as I desperately need to get our car fixed asap (head gasket), anyone recommended to me and please no cowboys as I have came across too many.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

We've been using Dave Marron in Drogheda for a number of years and never had any complaints. Reasonable prices, though head gaskets are not cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Laverty's in Linenhall Street, Dundalk.

Dave Marron very good and been using him for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Damien Moran - hill st Dundalk or Laverty's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Thanks lads for the recommendation I will be going with McKeown in the town as with the ones you mentioned they too have pretty positive reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Another Dave Marron fan here, he's very reliable and reasonable. He's beside Funtasia in Drogheda, proper garage set up and always gives VAT receipts and keeps a record of everything if you ever need a copy for your service record. He is also a true gent to deal with.

Ok still not really getting anywhere it seems the guy I give it to is showing lack of interest in repairing it by telling me to sell it (which I don’t want) and scaring me with costs this is what I didn’t want, so would I be wasting my time calling these other guys suggested in taking my car I know it ain’t cheap but telling me between 1000-1600 even for engine replace is crazy money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If the car is beyond economic repair, then taking it to a different mechanic is not going to change that.
    Unless you have a real sentimental attachment to it because it’s a classic or something, then spend the money.
    If not, get rid of it if that’s what the mechanic suggests.

francie81 wrote: »
    Ok still not really getting anywhere it seems the guy I give it to is showing lack of interest in repairing it by telling me to sell it (which I don’t want) and scaring me with costs this is what I didn’t want, so would I be wasting my time calling these other guys suggested in taking my car I know it ain’t cheap but telling me between 1000-1600 even for engine replace is crazy money?
    Head gasket repairs can be costly. If the block is damaged it may need to be skimmed (many mechanics will do this anyway) but it's a laboursome (ie. expensive) process. If the car is worth less than €1500-€2000 it may not be worth it.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Head gasket repairs can be costly. If the block is damaged it may need to be skimmed (many mechanics will do this anyway) but it's a laboursome (ie. expensive) process. If the car is worth less than €1500-€2000 it may not be worth it.

We paid 2,700 (probably abit much) for it just a year ago and it was specifically for my wife and selling it as a repairable only to get 300-400 with no NCT and having to look for another automatic assuming to cost at least 4000 is simply not an option for us financially also the fact that she starts a new job soon so that’s why am looking at retrieving an engine from a breakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dmcguq10

Sorry to hijack thread OP but looking for someone to repair a few deep scrapes in rear passenger door and below petrol cap.

Any ideas how much this would cost?

I'd suggest talking to Dave Marron about it - he will not put you wrong. We have been using him for years, he has never put us wrong and is the type who cares about his customers and goes the extra yard. Nothing to loose, eh?

I'd suggest talking to Dave Marron about it - he will not put you wrong. We have been using him for years, he has never put us wrong and is the type who cares about his customers and goes the extra yard. Nothing to loose, eh?

Would he go that extra yard in taking my car from one end of the county to the other to his place if he is this enthusiastic?

dmcguq10 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread OP but looking for someone to repair a few deep scrapes in rear passenger door and below petrol cap.

Any ideas how much this would cost?
    You're looking for a spray shop/panel beater, not a mechanic.

The cost depends on where you go, back street little one man and his compressor, or big shiny main dealer. Your looking at atleast a couple of hundred euro eitherway, maybe a lot more with the bigger shops. Sorry, can't recommend anyone.

Would he go that extra yard in taking my car from one end of the county to the other to his place if he is this enthusiastic?

I really don't know, but a call to him would find out. 041 983 0066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, you have a crap car and you want to get a big job done on it, on a budget, using an engine from a breakers.. with absolutely no guarantee your car will run right after the work is done. Is there any wonder the mechanic doesn't want to touch this job? Your car is probably only good for someone who wants a project. Sell it for scrap and when your wife starts her new job you can finance a better car.

antix80 wrote: »
    Op, you have a crap car and you want to get a big job done on it, on a budget, using an engine from a breakers.. with absolutely no guarantee your car will run right after the work is done. Is there any wonder the mechanic doesn't want to touch this job? Your car is probably only good for someone who wants a project. Sell it for scrap and when your wife starts her new job you can finance a better car.

Are you a mechanic yourself?

Because the way I put it was that to replace an engine particularly in a smaller car anyone with the slightest knowledge knows it’s not going to cost say €1500 all in as it would be in repairing the current thus still not guaranteed that it will run ok the opposite of what you think.

BTW did you know most breakers usually carry out compression tests etc before shipping engines out that in itself is good enough for me. Sourcing an engine with the lowest possible mileage as well is important.

I agree many mechanics prefer not to take on the older car and would much prefer get on with there routinely tasks but it doesn’t mean that anyone who goes into a garage to have an engine replaced that the car is crap.

Advertisement