Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Croatia would have, if they only have to worry about one of the major soccer powers (by population) at a time - which would be the Dublin scenario. Ditto for Denmark, Sweden, Uruguay. In any given tournament, one of those teams is capable of beating one of the major powers.

There are so many exceptions in GAA they are the rule. If population was all that mattered Kerry would not have more All Irelands than Dublin and Cork combined. Yet Wicklow with the same population have none.
    Whatever the critical mass is in the GAA, 100,000 versus 1 million is not it.

Plus lets not forget the might of Dublin club football Kilmacud (Mannnion et al) were defeated by Mullinalaghta of Longford.
    Vinne's were also defeated by Rathnew of Wicklow - kept Connolly to two points

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gachla wrote: »
    I have suggestions but why put them forward to people who can't even admit there's a problem despite huge evidence to show that there is?

Ah, the "I have all the answers but i'm not telling you" trope. Good one.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Funny the one game the ref wasn't in favour of dublin back then you lose. We all know the GAA wanted Dublin to keep winning so it's no surprise the refs by and large were in your pocket. Dublin vs Meath 2005 the ref was a joke too.

Right and by 2010 I clearly meant the Leinster final, or did you forget about that one?

Care to remind us of the officiating that day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Money has made a huge difference. Here's a quote from a GDO who was invloved from when this all began:

"I went back the following year to an U15 development squad. And if you were to compare the quality of player coming through then to the U13s now, the difference is night and day. Kids were coming into us without the basic skills. They were kick-passing a five-yard pass instead of hand-passing it but their instinct was to kick it along the ground. So they obviously hadn’t been exposed to any level of coaching.

I look now at U14 football in Dublin and the standard of football in the county is phenomenal. The level of individual skill the players have, the level of coaching teams, it’s incomparable to the late ’90s, early ’00s. And a big reason why is obviously the GDO system going into Dublin."

Also, do you have any explanation as to why Dublin increased titles across the board, winning 80 titles since 2005?

Late 90's? lol that's a crock of horse ****e, go back and watch inter county games from the late 90s, they look like a Junior B kick about in comparison to nearly any good team now, club or county. In both Hurling and Football.

Both games have improved immeasurably since then right across the board. F**k all to do with funding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Croatia would have, if they only have to worry about one of the major soccer powers (by population) at a time - which would be the Dublin scenario. Ditto for Denmark, Sweden, Uruguay. In any given tournament, one of those teams is capable of beating one of the major powers.

There are so many exceptions in GAA they are the rule. If population was all that mattered Kerry would not have more All Irelands than Dublin and Cork combined. Yet Wicklow with the same population have none.
    Whatever the critical mass is in the GAA, 100,000 versus 1 million is not it.

Sorry but they have won nothing, plain and simple. The point was made that these teams achieve above themselves as a mode of conparison. But they have not won anything. Denmark won a watered down euros in 1992 and it is still talked about. Is that what kerry are supposed to now accept as their lot? If so then whycouldnt dublin just accept their lot around the mid 2000s? Youcant have it every way.

Re the critical mass. These things are relative. 100,000 and well organised could probably compete with 6-700,000 not as well organised. But 1.3 million well organised and infinitely more funded is just a bridge too far.

I don't hunt and didn't say I did, I was offered one for last Saturday and tried to pass it on first. I like the sport but not the admin side and won't support it financially which is their bottom line and focus.

Anyway this is moving off topic.

You would swear it was weed you were getting. :D
    Well as long as you do not inhale these GAA fumes you wlll be - grand- your'e still a supporter though!

If Dublin are ever split because of their dominance it will be interesting to see what kind of support the teams would get.
    Not sure I will live to see it though - I think I would still go as the GAA are very fair to fans unlike other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

Ah, the "I have all the answers but i'm not telling you" trope. Good one.

Trying to drag this down a rabbit hole?

Anyone come up with a valid reason as to why Dublin have improved standards in football, hurling, underage, club etc all at the same time?

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I think if the disallowed goals were removed meath still would have won. Difference with Dublin was they were close games and the GAA clearly wanted Dublin to win.

Janey if they wanted us to win why not just rig the games and stop footering about with the GDO cash.

Seems like a rather large conspiracy that hasn't yet to come out? so much so that I would think you were talking through your hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Plus lets not forget the might of Dublin club football Kilmacud (Mannnion et al) were defeated by Mulinaughta
    Vinne's were also defeated by Rathnew of Wicklow - kept Connolly to two points

Again, critical mass. Kilmacud dont have 1.3 million people, or 17 million extra in funding going their way. Even at that, these were viewed as shock results. Does everyone else simply have to make do with an odd shock result over the years and accept that as our lot?

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Late 90's? lol that's a crock of horse ****e, go back and watch inter county games from the late 90s, they look like a Junior B kick about in comparison to nearly any good team now, club or county. In both Hurling and Football.

Both games have improved immeasurably since then right across the board. F**k all to do with funding

The quote is from someone who's been involved in Dublin GAA since then. A highly respected and hugely experienced coach who has first hand knowledge of what we're discussing. Are you calling him a liar?

Anyone come up with a valid reason as to why Dublin have improved standards in football, hurling, underage, club etc all at the same time?

I asked for alternatives because the likes of yourself seem unhappy with the current "system". And then you responded to say that you basically don't want to waste them on us. And then my critical response is met with this crap?

Seriously, being so disingenuous is exactly the reason that Dubs can't listen to ye.

When the likes of Bruschi can cast a critical eye and engage in debate it makes me wonder if yourself and your ilk are just here for an anti-Dublin moan?

So tell me again, what are your solutions? What is it you want?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Cash money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sorry but they have won nothing, plain and simple. The point was made that these teams achieve above themselves as a mode of conparison. But they have not won anything. Denmark won a watered down euros in 1992 and it is still talked about. Is that what kerry are supposed to now accept as their lot?
    Re the critical mass. These things are relative. 100,000 and well organised could probably compete with 6-700,000 not as well organised. But 1.3 million well organised and infinitely more funded is just a bridge too far.

Denmark watered down Euros? What tournament were you watching?
    They played England, France, Holland, and Germany to win that competition... combined population in excess of 150 million people.
    That great footballing superpower Yugoslavia were absent, is that what you mean by watered down???

It demonstrates the absolute fallacy of your contention. It is a regular occurrence across sports that teams beat other teams with 10 times their population.
    In soccer there are many nations with 10 times the populations than Croatia, Uruguay, Sweden, Denmark. They don't win the tournamnets outright as they would have to beat them ALL so there are too many. If they only had to beat one, each of them in turn would be ambushing that sole superpower.
    If there were half a dozen Dublins, of course it would be very unlikely a Mayo would come along to beat them all. But they, and the rest, only have to beat one Dublin superpower.

If your population based logic was correct Kerry would not have 31 All Irelands. So yes you are right again, it is inevitable that Kerry will never win a single All Ireland ever. And Kerry will just have to accept that. Sadly, none of that is true.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If this thread is about Dublin football, which I think
    It is, can we please keep the figures to actual
    Playing numbers at adult level, which is very close to that of Cork.The funding that is continuously referred to was games development, which is aimed at juveniles and the encouragement of participation. On the playing games in Croker, I really hope DCBgo to the GAA and the government with a plan and secure the 50M that cork received, the very posters looking to get Dublin out of croke park would be the very same on here whinging.

I asked for alternatives because the likes of yourself seem unhappy with the current "system". And then you responded to say that you basically don't want to waste them on us. And then my critical response is met with this crap?

Seriously, being so disingenuous is exactly the reason that Dubs can't listen to ye.

When the likes of Bruschi can cast a critical eye and engage in debate it makes me wonder if yourself and your ilk are just here for an anti-Dublin moan?

So tell me again, what are your solutions? What is it you want?

Not one Dub has even attempted to come up with a theory as to why Dublin have had a staggering increase in titles across the board. Not one. Instead, they just repeat the same debunked rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Your problem is that you are assuming funding is the MAIN reason for Dublin's success.
    it is not proper management is.

You yourself bring up China - if the funding was the sole reason for success in sports - China would be doing much better in Soccer and win the majority of World titles in snooker (they have yet to win a world snooker title)

Soccer in China is starting from such a low point, lower than Dublin hurling.
    Also they are importing expensive has beens for the the most part and trying to start league from scratch basically.

Jaysus I never ever said Dublin's success was all down to funding.

I acknowledged here or one of the other threads that GAA HQ need to do something about incestous badly run county boards and how even if they were given Berties taxpayer funded largesse couldn't organise a pi** up in James' Gate.

Dublin put the structures in place, they wisely spread the money around, they seriously looked at development long before anyone else nearly.

But they got huge amounts of money to back up the plans and ideas.
    Claiming otherwise is bullcr**.

What I, and most others are saying I believe, is that the money has made it a completely unlevel playing field.
    Telling other counties to get their house in order when they have shag all funds to initiate similar programs is laughable.

And yes there are some that are really bad at using the small funds they do get.
    That is why I am saying the GAA HQ need to implement nationwide development programs and not leave it up to county boards.
    What posters such as yourself fail to acknowledge is the superb management of the team, the superb caliber of players, and the superb management of funds.
    To imply that funding is the sole/main reason for Dublin's success is insulting in the extreme.
    But then again it takes the focus away from examination of what other counties did from a position of strength and faded - Kildare - Galway - Meath.

Let us not forget Galway have one of the strongest football clubs in the history of the game

Ehh you forgot the prize winner in that Offaly who have totally faded into oblivion in both codes.

Dublin used their money wisely, have brought in competent people at many levels and that together with the sleeping giant that was their possible player numbers is what has made them stronger and is making them stronger still.

And yes the likes of Gavin leaves nothing to chance, but then again he doesn't need to worry about money like McStay commented about his time in Roscommon.

Ehh as far as I know Corofin's coaching ethos has been forward thinking for years working on the development of players at young age.
    Hence when lads are reaching minor and u21 they are already more rounded skilful players.

They don't just work on the age old shyte of just giving the ball to the strong lad at u10 or u12 to barrel up the field and score.
    And trust me you still see that bloody tactic employed in this day and age in lots of clubs.
    Sure yer man is going to play county in a few years, but he will still only be able to kick with one foot and the rest of the team will be cr**.

Also as someone once remarked Galway isn't referred to as the City/County of the Tribes for no reason so club success does not always translate to county success.
    Just ask their hurlers. :rolleyes:
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Mayo spend the most of all counties on their senior team. Any funding they get from Croke Park is concentrated into the senior team. It is a very short-sighted approach and will cost them in the next decade.

Mayo has one of the highest number of intercounty players working/studying living outside the county with the vast majority in Dublin as it happens.

Now traveling down to Castlebar or Ballyhaunis for training maybe twice a week and once for a weekend match does actually cost money.

And there are some parishes in Mayo that are wider than than the width of county Dublin. Travelling from say Belmullet to Ballyhaunis is over 1.5 hours.

Then there is often annual trip to NY or London so there is already lot of travel expenses long before the now annual backdoor trips to Limerick, Clare, Longford, Down, etc.
    Mayo pay mileage for training. Its a huge county. I'm sure Dublin do too, but for Mayo lads, you could be talking a 40 or 50 mile round trip to training if living in Mayo and a 300 mile one if living in Dublin which many of them do.

For Dubs, what would the average round trip distance be for training?

The only thing they have to worry about is avoiding M50 at certain times and can be tucked up in bed long before the likes of Barrett or Parsons are back at 12.30am after training in Mayo. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Money has made a huge difference. Here's a quote from a GDO who was invloved from when this all began:

"I went back the following year to an U15 development squad. And if you were to compare the quality of player coming through then to the U13s now, the difference is night and day. Kids were coming into us without the basic skills. They were kick-passing a five-yard pass instead of hand-passing it but their instinct was to kick it along the ground. So they obviously hadn’t been exposed to any level of coaching.

I look now at U14 football in Dublin and the standard of football in the county is phenomenal. The level of individual skill the players have, the level of coaching teams, it’s incomparable to the late ’90s, early ’00s. And a big reason why is obviously the GDO system going into Dublin."

Also, do you have any explanation as to why Dublin increased titles across the board, winning 80 titles since 2005?

Structure, planning allied to superb players, the funding helped but that is only a nudge. If the players structure and planning are not there it would not have worked.

Dublin won thier first u21 title in 2003 against a hung over Tyrone after they won Sam (played in October)

Captained by Alan Brogan
    Also had Paul Griffin, Declan O'Mahoney, Declan Lally, Keaney a lot of the names you will know from 00's football underachievement

Dublin were hammered in the 2002 u21 final v Galway Bergin ran the show over in 15 minutes - Barry Cahill was injured I think.

So things were bubbling under before 2005 - it is being painted that 2005 was the year dot for Dublin football not true.
    They were plugging away prior to that with flashes here and there.

Structure, planning allied to superb players, the funding helped but that is only a nudge. If the players structure and planning are not there it would not have worked.

Dublin won thier first u21 title in 2003 against a hung over Tyrone after they won Sam (played in October)

Captained by Alan Brogan
    Also had Paul Griffin, Declan O'Mahoney, Declan Lally, Keaney a lot of the names you will know from 00's football underachievement

Dublin were hammered in the 2002 u21 final v Galway Bergin ran the show over in 15 minutes - Barry Cahill was injured I think.

So things were bubbling under before 2005 - it is being painted that 2005 was the year dot for Dublin football not true.
    They were plugging away prior to that with flashes here and there.

The funding started before 2005! You've completely ignored all other areas of Dublin GAA apart from the men's senior footballers, why is that?

jmayo wrote: »

Ehh you forgot the prize winner in that Offaly who have totally faded into oblivion in both codes.

Dublin used their money wisely, have brought in competent people at many levels and that together with the sleeping giant that was their possible player numbers is what has made them stronger and is making them stronger still.

And yes the likes of Gavin leaves nothing to chance, but then again he doesn't need to worry about money like McStay commented about his time in Roscommon.

Ehh as far as I know Corofin's coaching ethos has been forward thinking for years working on the development of players at young age.
    Hence when lads are reaching minor and u21 they are already more rounded skilful players.

They don't just work on the age old shyte of just giving the ball to the strong lad at u10 or u12 to barrel up the field and score.
    And trust me you still see that bloody tactic employed in this day and age in lots of clubs.
    Sure yer man is going to play county in a few years, but he will still only be able to kick with one foot and the rest of the team will be cr**.

Also as someone once remarked Galway isn't referred to as the City/County of the Tribes for no reason so club success does not always translate to county success.
    Just ask their hurlers. :rolleyes:

Annoyed at myself that I forgot Offaly and Tommy Lyons - McManus and a young Malone just after his leaving cert v a knackered Meath who had two replays.
    That faithful county must be losing faith now at this stage.
    Badly in need of funds if ever there was a county that needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Because they got their act together and set out a plan from grass roots up . I’m involved with my clubs nursery , we have a set of drills and stations that are rotating every 4 weeks . Girls and boys from 5-7 some cases 4 years old learn to kick , hand pass , throw and catch and use a hurl through games that they enjoy - no matches take place just games that bring on their hand to eye co ordination and physical development. So from September through to finishing up in June the majority can can kick with both feet and pass with both hands and that does not cost a penny and it’s the same through all age groups in the club , a plan is set out and it is stuck to and no mentor or coach gets a penny for it . It’s a handy excuse to just say it’s money that has brought success but go down to any Dublin club and watch the dedicated players, mentors and coaches who do it for the love of the game and sacrifice earnings and free time for it and tell them they are only successful through funding - it’s a bollox excuse for their own counties lack of groundwork.

• Advertisement

The funding started before 2005! You've completely ignored all other areas of Dublin GAA apart from the men's senior footballers, why is that?

Well you are the one going on about 80 titles since 2005 = result of funding.

What about an exceptional player from an exceptional gaelic football family like Bernard Brogan?
    It was funding that made him was it?
    Not his family environment and inherited skill?
    Conal Keaney still on the go probably one of the most underrated dual stars in the GAA - you can't train what he has got pure heart.
    Or did he buy heart and desire?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yermanhimself

Hmm. Obviously not a fair point. Intercounty managers arent the ones who develop young players.

The paid professional coaches are the guys who developed those lads. That is pretty obvious..

If you dont think so then why dont you put forward a motion through your club to give all the money back to the gaa and the irish government? Because keeping the money and then crowing about it not being down to money, doesnt really hold much water...

The current players were coached by Dessie Farrell, Ciaran Whelan, Paddy Christie, Stephen Shaughnessy and Noel Caffrey as well as some great coaches in the various clubs when they were underage and in various development squads.

The GAA recognised that since the demise of Christian Brothers and mainly female teachers in primary schools coaching GAA were non existent and hence created the position of GPO which is administered through the clubs in every county.
    Since Dublin have more clubs than any other county it is natural that they will have more coaches but it is the clubs that drive the deevolement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

In light of Saturday's display this thread has a great title post.

Because they got their act together and set out a plan from grass roots up . I’m involved with my clubs nursery , we have a set of drills and stations that are rotating every 4 weeks . Girls and boys from 5-7 some cases 4 years old learn to kick , hand pass , throw and catch and use a hurl through games that they enjoy - no matches take place just games that bring on their hand to eye co ordination and physical development. So from September through to finishing up in June the majority can can kick with both feet and pass with both hands and that does not cost a penny and it’s the same through all age groups in the club , a plan is set out and it is stuck to and no mentor or coach gets a penny for it . It’s a handy excuse to just say it’s money that has brought success but go down to any Dublin club and watch the dedicated players, mentors and coaches who do it for the love of the game and sacrifice earnings and free time for it and tell them they are only successful through funding - it’s a bollox excuse for their own counties lack of groundwork.

We're back to this absolute disgusting allegation that every counties volunteers are lazy and useless apart from Dublin's. That's bollox. Every club and county have hard working and dedicated volunteers. Thousands across the country give up their free time.
    Dublin GAA appointed highly paid officials to oversee a plan that was implemented by professional coaches to get their act together. It has cost millions. GDO's who have been involved from the start say that the difference between the standard then and after is staggering, they say that the professional coaches have played a huge part. Like I asked another poster, are you calling them liars?

Well you are the one going on about 80 titles since 2005 = result of funding.

What about an exceptional player from an exceptional gaelic football family like Bernard Brogan?
    It was funding that made him was it?
    Not his family environment and inherited skill?
    Conal Keaney still on the go probably one of the most underrated dual stars in the GAA - you can't train what he has got pure heart.
    Or did he buy heart and desire?

Yes, 80 titles across all levels and codes. Why are you ignoring everything apart from the men's senior footballers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

We're back to this absolute disgusting allegation that every counties volunteers are lazy and useless apart from Dublin's. That's bollox. Every club and county have hard working and dedicated volunteers. Thousands across the country give up their free time.
    Dublin GAA appointed highly paid officials to oversee a plan that was implemented by professional coaches to get their act together. It has cost millions. GDO's who have been involved from the start say that the difference between the standard then and after is staggering, they say that the professional coaches have played a huge part. Like I asked another poster, are you calling them liars?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

The current players were coached by Dessie Farrell, Ciaran Whelan, Paddy Christie, Stephen Shaughnessy and Noel Caffrey as well as some great coaches in the various clubs when they were underage and in various development squads.

The GAA recognised that since the demise of Christian Brothers and mainly female teachers in primary schools coaching GAA were non existent and hence created the position of GPO which is administered through the clubs in every county.
    Since Dublin have more clubs than any other county it is natural that they will have more coaches but it is the clubs that drive the deevolement

For many years, all counties had a very similar number of coaches. Cork, Antrim, Monaghan, Wexford, whoever. The only county way out ahead was Dublin. Don't Cork have more clubs than Dublin? If you want to go on population, did Cork get just below half the amount of coaches Dublin got? Not even close.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Does your club have a GDO/GPO attached to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

No-one has said anything bad about Dublin volunteers.

Where did all these volunteers learn how to coach effectively?

Did getting their act together and working from the grass roots up magically happen after someone decided it was a good idea or was there huge funding there to support it?

Presumably that’s what 18 million was spent on and fair play to Dublin they spent it wisely. Other counties would just like some fairness in the distribution of funding.

Not one Dub has even attempted to come up with a theory as to why Dublin have had a staggering increase in titles across the board. Not one. Instead, they just repeat the same debunked rubbish!

95-04 Dublin really underachieved players would not play for managers, or were overconfident - Ulster rose

Then in 00's leinster was Dublin's level -

2004 Tommy Lyons sacked lost to WestMeath did not even get to a final - Paddy Christie was taking 45's

2005 -Alan Brogan clicked (u21 winner 2003)
    Bryan Cullen started to click (won a leinster minor 2001)
    Keaney (u21 winner 2003)
    Got a freetaker in Mossy - Paddy Chrsitie was taking the frees in the Westmeath loss

Those three lads were exceptional players two only retired fairly recently and one is still on the go!
    New manager Caffery cut down the lyons hype
    F**k all to do with funding

2006- Beat offaly well Mossy frees - the bauld Jayo, Keaney to the fore

2007 - got the bleached blonde fella Vaughan- who's sport was rugby - Kilmacud were a very strong club side in these years - beat Laois

2008 - was up against a shell shocked Wexford - who froze

2009 - Gilroy got the helm the startled earwigs year v Kerry - but still beat Kildare by a goal all the old regulars

2010 - Dublin did not even make the final caught cold by Meath.
    Has that anything to do with funding?

2011 - Gilroy got the team orgainised revamped the side with stalwarts many of whom are still with the side

The rest is history the groundwork was laid and those exceptional players from u12 in 2005 were bedded into that 2011 core of lads
    f**k all to do with funding

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0402/1040302-fenton-mccaffrey-kilkenny/

It is management and players first and foremost and hard work - or was Raheny's Pat Ivory just a genius - a load of Raheny lads were on the team that lost the 2011 minor all-Ireland to Tipp

Leinster counties were in turmoil - Meath up in the air - start of a slow decline - Kildare - aging squad - Wexford were only a brief bright flash.

• Advertisement

What debunked rubbish is that?

What are your solutions?

Where in the name of Jayus are you getting your stagegring increase from?

vhrhvc.jpg

What debunked rubbish is that?

What are your solutions?

Everything from it's a one off group of players to your volunteers are lazy. All has been debunked.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    No-one has said anything bad about Dublin volunteers.

Where did all these volunteers learn how to coach effectively?

Did getting their act together and working from the grass roots up magically happen after someone decided it was a good idea or was there huge funding there to support it?

Presumably that’s what 18 million was spent on and fair play to Dublin they spent it wisely. Other counties would just like some fairness in the distribution of funding.

So the other counties can buy wasteland in Athenry and spend it on credit cards or overspend on badly project managed stadia?

Everything from it's a one off group of players to your volunteers are lazy. All has been debunked.

Where has it been debunked?

What are your solutions?

Where has it been debunked?

What are your solutions?

All over this thread.

Any explanation for the staggering increase in standards across most grades and codes in Dublin GAA at the same time as the staggering increase in finance?

All over this thread.

Any explanation for the staggering increase in standards across most grades and codes in Dublin GAA at the same time as the staggering increase in finance?

I can't see them. You're saying they're there. Where?

What are your solutions?

I can't see them. You're saying they're there. Where?

What are your solutions?

Use the search function.

80 titles since 2005, 20 titles in the 14 years before, any explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

So the other counties can buy wasteland in Athenry and spend it on credit cards or overspend on badly project managed stadia?

I am referring to the funding for coaching and development, as seen below. Is there any justification for that ridiculous level of financial disparity?

https://twitter.com/seanmcgoldrick1/status/1093268753725431808?s=21

• Advertisement

Use the search function.

80 titles since 2005, 20 titles in the 14 years before, any explanation?

I've read the every page of this thread as you might have gathered. No debunking comes to mind.

Now, tell me about your "secret" solutions? Or are they gone the way of the "free stadium" nonsense from last night?

I've read the every page of this thread as you might have gathered. No debunking comes to mind.

Now, tell me about your "secret" solutions? Or are they gone the way of the "free stadium" nonsense from last night?

Selective readind then. I was right when I said you were trying to drag this down a rabbit hole.

Called it. Off to ignore with you. Slán. :)

vhrhvc.jpg

It is not a staggering increase they were UNDERACHIEVING for a start.
    First they had to slowly return to the mean and start winning leinster that was the first stage - dominate the province like Kerry

Once confidence was gained there and the shock of the defeat to Kerry was overcome - Gilroy decided to tighten up the half back line.
    Should not have lost to Cork in 2010 and stole the AI from Kerry in 2011 against the run of play.

Exceptional players Bernard/Alan Brogan forged in a GAA household made the difference.
    Players with pure heart and drive like Keaney/Cullen made the difference.
    Astute management and learning from mistakes Pilar and Gilroy made the difference.

Then the real cherry on top was the truly exceptional crop of players from that u12 game Dublin North v Dublin South way back in 2005

Other counties have regressed - Dublin looked at underage for a change FIRST u21 2003 EVER.
    Led by the exceptional Alan Brogan.

Dublin should ALWAYS have been not only winning Leinsters but all-irelands too at least on a rate Kerry do.
    The exceptional lads at underage are the reason along with astute management - top to bottom
    Dublin are only NOW ONLY REALLY over-achieving for the first time in thier history - going for a five in a row.

In reality they should be be winning 2-3 a decade but they were run like a joke - before
    Dublin did not even compete at U21 level for decades and thier most recent minor was 1984 for ages.
    Everything was haphazard amateur a shambles - like the way Offaly are now not fulfilling potential.
    Except Dublin still had those 1970's notions which weighed heavy on them throughout the 80's when they underachieved - Kerry - Offaly.
    Then there was the underestimation of the Ulster sides. One bright spark 95. Should never have lost 92, 93 in particular.

No structure it died - O'Neill gone - players unwilling to change for Mickey Whelan.
    Average Carr of the 00's with an average team bar Brogan and a few others.
    They could not even win leinster from 96-04 because of a strong Meath side and the Micko/Paidi factor.

Now when Dublin finally overachieve for ONCE in thier history some want to piss all over it.
    No praise of an exceptional group of players and management - just jealously and bitterness as former traditional great sides are now shadows - Meath. Galway, Cork, Kildare.

But Dublin are a good target to deflect thier failings - regurgitating phases from fading hacks - 'financial doping'.
    Such people are not sports fans who do not appreciate a great team - they just want to find away to belittle others success.
    They are mean spirited by nature and are not true GAA people.

Selective readind then. I was right when I said you were trying to drag this down a rabbit hole.

Called it. Off to ignore with you. Slán. :)

Shame. You were contributing so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Black charlie

When I state salary caps it was quiet obvious I meant player payments.
    I know of a certain true blue dub who was of to USA and 30 k was the price
    You would want to be very naive or untruthful to think the dubs are not pay for play.
    Professionals don’t play for free

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yermanhimself

One man who has been behind the success and development of Dublin at all levels and never gets a mention is John Costelloe as County Secretary who is one of the best administrators in the game.

• Advertisement

When I state salary caps it was quiet obvious I meant player payments.
    I know of a certain true blue dub who was of to USA and 30 k was the price
    You would want to be very naive or untruthful to think the dubs are not pay for play.
    Professionals don’t play for free

And I'm sure with your 5th post on boards that you have evidence of Dublin "getting paid".

The again we had someone claim that they "don't have real jobs" and are "shamateurs".

Ridiculous.

It is not a staggering increase they were UNDERACHIEVING for a start.

It is staggering. Dublin have gone for not winning All Ireland's in ladies football, u20/21 football to winning multiple titles. Same staggering improvements at club level. Their hurlers have improved beyond recognition. All across the baord there's been a huge increase in the number of titles. 80 titles in 14 years is staggering, you are attempting to deny cold, hard facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They are all either studying or working.. there are no full time players on the panel, sorry. ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I am referring to the funding for coaching and development, as seen below. Is there any justification for that ridiculous level of financial disparity?

https://twitter.com/seanmcgoldrick1/status/1093268753725431808?s=21

This. No one is denying the Dubs are supremely talented , but this is as close to Financial Doping as you’ll ever see, and it’s blatant!

Central pot, split it evenly, and then if the Dubs keep it up(as they probably would) no problem.

With these figures an asterisk will remain and Dub fans can do all the sand burying/fingers in ears they wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So I'm an outsider looking in and honestly not well versed on the this situation. I see the non-Dubliners saying Dublin got a huge amount of money and it's unfair but Dubliners are saying their success is through hard work and volunteerism. Correct?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement