Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Dob, I was merely pointing out that Tis not only Dublin in receipt of sponsorship. HNY to you and yours.

Aye. I get that. Many happy returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Can you show where the many multiples are? Cork are getting 400k for hurling and football.

Dublin received €2,170,250 in sponsorship money for 2019. So Dublin get more in a year than what Cork are receiving for the total of their deal.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tbf, for any argument around funding to have any credibility, a countys private sponsorship should never be brought into it. Only what a county gets directly from Croke Park should be up for debate imo.

AIG, Kerry Group, Sports Direct, JP McManus, whatever etc etc. That's between the company and county privately. And it 100% definitely should not be pooled between every county. That's what central funding should be for.

Can inter county competitions continue when some counties can receive and spend millions every year while other counties are spending tiny fractions of that?

In 2015 Dublin's sponsorship total was 1.1 million, it moved to 1.5 million in 2016. It 2019 it sat at 2.1 million. It's ever increasing. What happens when it goes up to 5 million? Higher? Let's not forget, this increased sponsorship was gained off the back of increased success across Dublin GAA, that success came about from the Games Development money paid for by all of us.

Enquiring wrote: »
    Can inter county competitions continue when some counties can receive and spend millions every year while other counties are spending tiny fractions of that?

If a county is unhappy with their sponsorship deal, it's up to the county board to negotiate better terms or get a new sponsor, like cork have done. And fair play to them. That's their own money.

Only central funding should be up for debate and pooling. Not private sponsorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If a county is unhappy with their sponsorship deal, it's up to the county board to negotiate better terms or get a new sponsor, like cork have done. And fair play to them. That's their own money.

Only central funding should be up for debate and pooling. Not private sponsorship.

Dob, It’s all about what’s attractive to a potential sponsor. Some here want all sponsorship is pooled.It’ll never happen, much like splitting Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I don't think anyone has a problem with Sponsorship deals. Its the money allocated from Croke Park is the issue

That's not possible and you know it's not possible. In this GAA you envisage, it's about those who can gain access to funds who will excel and those who can't will be confined to the b competitions I assume you're in favour of. There's only one path that will lead us down.

That's not the GAA I want to see and it's not what the GAA is supposed to be about. If you're happy to compete unfairly then you are in the same boat as the Dubs. The rest of us have to stand up and put a stop to this.

Dob, It’s all about what’s attractive to a potential sponsor. Some here want all sponsorship is pooled. It’ll never happen, much like splitting Dublin.

The association as a whole is the attraction. It's games where every county enters and competes. There won't be much chance attracting sponsors if it's Dublin v Kerry every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

If dublin's sponsorship total went up to €5 million a year they still wouldn't win a senior hurling all ireland.

The munster football championship continues when some counties can receive and spend millions every year while other counties are spending tiny fractions of that.

• Advertisement

At least the argument that Dublin aren't competing on a professional level has gone out the window. A bit like the games development money was just for primary school kids before that or it's just a one off team or Dublin have better volunteers etc etc

That's not possible and you know it's not possible. In this GAA you envisage, it's about those who can gain access to funds who will excel and those who can't will be confined to the b competitions I assume you're in favour of. There's only one path that will lead us down.

That's not the GAA I want to see and it's not what the GAA is supposed to be about. If you're happy to compete unfairly then you are in the same boat as the Dubs. The rest of us have to stand up and put a stop to this.

Mad how much you wrongly assume from my limited postings on this subject. Its one of the reasons I dont usually bother with this thread.

Posting on this thread will do fcuk all for standing up and.putting a stop to it tbf. Only the lads in croke park have that power, not a bunch of us random lads on a website. Any county can access sponsorship funds, there is no rule against it. It's up to that county to come up with a plan and sell it to potential investors. Cork seem to have done that.

The only financial issue that should be up for debate is central funding and an equal distribution of that. A countys private sponsorship is for their own use.

Mad how much you wrongly assume from my limited postings on this subject. Its one of the reasons I dont usually bother with this thread.

Posting on this thread will do fcuk all for standing up and.putting a stop to it tbf. Only the lads in croke park have that power, not a bunch of us random lads on a website. Any county can access sponsorship funds, there is no rule against it. It's up to that county to come up with a plan and sell it to potential investors. Cork seem to have done that.

The only financial issue that should be up for debate is central funding and an equal distribution of that. A countys private sponsorship is for their own use.

That's why I've said we must get this message across through our club delegates, at county board level, however possible. You think some counties just aren't working hard enough to get million euro sponsorship deals? Sounds something like Pat Gilroy et all have been throwing out. Spending is not only confined to central funding. Some counties are happy to buy success but that's not what the GAA is or at least was about.

Where in that post do I advocate a second tier championship? Thanks for being a fan tho, hope you're enjoying my musings.

As it happens, I would be in favour of a tiered championship, if done correctly. We have it in hurling. The ladies have it. The club game has it. Why would football not have it? A tiered championship just makes sense if done correctly.

Not sure why anyone would be against it tbh

Where in that post do I advocate a second tier championship? Thanks for being a fan tho, hope you're enjoying my musings.

As it happens, I would be in favour of a tiered championship, if done correctly. We have it in hurling. The ladies have it. The club game has it. Why would football not have it? A tiered championship just makes sense if done correctly.

Not sure why anyone would be against it tbh

I posted that as it's clear what angle you're coming from when defending Dublin GAA and huge sponsorship money received by some counties.

And someone in favour of unfair competitions would, of course, be in favour of demoting teams not deemed worthy to a b championship.

Instead of killing Gaelic Football in these counties, why not call for every county to be funded appropriately? I am sure why certain counties would be against that.

I posted that as it's clear what angle you're coming from when defending Dublin GAA and huge sponsorship money received by some counties.

And someone in favour of unfair competitions would, of course, be in favour of demoting teams not deemed worthy to a b championship.

Instead of killing Gaelic Football in these counties, why not call for every county to be funded appropriately? I am sure why certain counties would be against that.

Why does a tiered championship work so well in every other aspect of the GAA but is frowned upon when it comes to county football?

Leitrim or Wicklow have no chance to win Sam. But in a tiered structure they would have a genuine chance of All Ireland honours. I watched the Joe McDonagh final between Antrim and Kerry. The way they celebrated the win, it definitely mattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are 259 GAA clubs in Cork I’m reading.

There are 21 in Longford.

Nobody is suggesting that Longford and Cork receive the same money.

Longford don’t need the money that Cork need...

Neither are Longford going to start challenging if you throw them a cheque for 800,000

Cork on the other hand have xxxx times what Longford have in terms of players, clubs, facilities that need running... that money is thinly spread but put to great use.

Why does a tiered championship work so well in every other aspect of the GAA but is frowned upon when it comes to county football?

Leitrim or Wicklow have no chance to win Sam. But in a tiered structure they would have a genuine chance of All Ireland honours. I watched the Joe McDonagh final between Antrim and Kerry. The way they celebrated the win, it definitely mattered.

Because it will kill the games in the counties demoted. A big issue with hurling is that not enough counties can compete. Why ensure it's the same with football? Once counties are cut off, that's the end of it. They'll be playing in the Tommy Murphy cup forever. Look at Offaly hurling.

Instead of punishing counties for not having the resources of Dublin or Kerry, supply them with the appropriate resources. Give them access to professional coaches, to top class facilities etc. Don't force them into a competition where some counties are paying a million plus on team preparations and then tell them you're volunteers don't work hard enough or your county board needs to work harder. Then when you've cashed another cheque you tell them now you shouldn't be allowed on the same pitch as us.

Strumms wrote: »

Neither are Longford going to start challenging if you throw them a cheque for 800,000

Cork on the other hand have xxxx times what Longford have in terms of players, clubs, facilities that need running... that money is thinly spread but put to great use.

Yes, no one has suggested that!

It's interesting though that you bring up Longford. They nearly beat Dublin in 2006, this was just after the increase in funding was sent Dublin's way. The investment into Dublin GAA was supposed to bring results. The GAA wanted and needed to make a return on it. So Dublin were moved to Croke Park for every championship game for the next 10 years after that scare v Longford.

Amazingly, Longford were able to compete with Dublin before the millions of euros took effect. It's crazy the difference money can make.

It's interesting though that you bring up Longford. They nearly beat Dublin in 2006, this was just after the increase in funding was sent Dublin's way. The investment into Dublin GAA was supposed to bring results. The GAA wanted and needed to make a return on it. So Dublin were moved to Croke Park for every championship game for the next 10 years after that scare v Longford.

Amazingly, Longford were able to compete with Dublin before the millions of euros took effect. It's crazy the difference money can make.

Euros didn’t take effect, sorry. Talent on the other hand certainly did.

Longford didn’t nearly beat Dublin, they lost by two points. If the game had ended a draw... the ‘nearly beat...’ may have had a flicker of truth..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Longford didn’t nearly beat Dublin, they lost by two points. If the game had ended a draw... the ‘nearly beat...’ may have had a flicker of truth..

How close would they get now?
    Btw that was a good longford team

Money did take effect, across the board. About 100 titles in Dublin GAA post funding.

Yes, they had a late goal chance if memory serves me correctly. That's how they nearly won. HQ couldn't be having that, Dublin footballers have only played 2 away games in the championship since then! Learn what an away game is.

they played 2 away games in 2019 alone, 2 the year before that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

ooter wrote: »
    Fake news, they played 2 away games in 2019 alone, 2 the year before that too.

How many of them in leinster were not in a neutral ground?
    ie portlaoise
    How many of them were not in super/crap 8s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

The clubs don't get the money so that is one of the biggest myths that is spread around. If certain counties stopped wasting money and started hiring GPO's that go out around the primary schools then they might start heading down the right track. Thats where the money goes not to the clubs. Dublin companies sponsoring Dublin teams jesus who ever thought that would happen.AIG are there because of the shear sales in Jerseys, training gear in Dublin .They are always going to have the highest sponsorship deal in that department.Counties need to start looking at their own lack of vision and lack of guidance in seeking sponsorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

In fairness, if you are fobbing a raft of counties off into a lower tiered championship based on their performance, then dublin would have to go into the railway cup on the same criteria...

Money did take effect, across the board. About 100 titles in Dublin GAA post funding.

Yes, they had a late goal chance if memory serves me correctly. That's how they nearly won. HQ couldn't be having that, Dublin footballers have only played 2 away games in the championship since then! Learn what an away game is.

Dublin can play as many games as you like outside of Dublin. Then when no fûcker.. Dublin fan or opposition fan can get tickets... uproar from both sides... works fine in the league, Dublin travel without complaint or quibble.

Fitzgerald Stadium has only about 49% capacity of Croker. 38,000....9,000 of which are seated....sound reasonable to have an all Ireland quarter or semi final there ? Not to me it doesn’t.

Does Fitzgerald have boxes / suites that can be used as a revenue generator to fund the sport from junior to senior, countrywide ? Genuine question, as the majority of its website is dedicated to reminding, reminiscing about the Kerry glory years... no actual technical information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

has the laois offaly amalgamation happened yet?

thats why the split will never happen.

how many coaches do dublin have vs kildare for example?

Dublin can play as many games as you like outside of Dublin. Then when no fûcker.. Dublin fan or opposition fan can get tickets... uproar from both sides... works fine in the league, Dublin travel without complaint or quibble.

Fitzgerald Stadium has only about 49% capacity of Croker. 38,000....9,000 of which are seated....sound reasonable to have an all Ireland quarter or semi final there ? Not to me it doesn’t.

Does Fitzgerald have boxes / suites that can be used as a revenue generator to fund the sport from junior to senior, countrywide ? Genuine question, as the majority of its website is dedicated to reminding, reminiscing about the Kerry glory years... no actual technical information.

Wouldnt agree. How many dublin fans would travel to fitzgerald stadium consistently for a start? Are dublin even getting 40,000 on their own doorstep in croke park for leinster games these days? I dont think they are. So you would imagine that moving it elsewhere would be a positive thing. Mayo played kerry in limerick in an all ireland semi final and it was a brilliant occasion with an atmosphere superior to many ive attended in cp.
    Re boxes, they can pay for a seat the same as everyone else. Gaa is a sport of the common person first and foremost. There are lots of towns that could really do with the business championship games could generate. That is more important than placating some sh*thouse who would only attend in a corporate box, for my money anyway. The whole thing shouldnt hinge on grabbing every cent possible.

• Advertisement

How many of them in leinster were not in a neutral ground?
    ie portlaoise
    How many of them were not in super/crap 8s?

Super 8s is part of the championship, if the game is outside dublin it's an away game.
    When posters are throwing out blatant untruths like the dublin senior footballers have only played 2 away championship games since 2006, you really have to question the other stuff that is being trotted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Super 8s is part of the championship, if the game is outside dublin it's an away game.
    When posters are throwing out blatant untruths like the dublin senior footballers have only played 2 away championship games since 2006, you really have to question the other stuff that is being trotted out.

Yeah if someone got the number of away games wrong in a post you have to question whether Dublin got any excess funding compared to other counties or whether the Dublin hurlers had any success at all :D

The same poster has trotted it out a number of times, I've no doubt it'll be slipped in again in a few days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I cant believe this thread still has legs and this is the most ridiculous comment I have seen on it, embarrassing

The same poster has trotted it out a number of times, I've no doubt it'll be slipped in again in a few days time.

Ironic, when you keep trotting out the same spiel about the hurlers, even though it has been addressed numerous times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

1976 Leinster quarter final - Dublin 5-16 Longford 0-7. Really good All Ireland winning Dublin teams winning big over Longford is not new. Not sure where you get the illusion that they were somehow equals until recently.

• Advertisement

I was just letting you know about how close Longford were to Dublin pre funding and reminding you of Dublins last away Leinster championship match. 2006!

kilns wrote: »
    I cant believe this thread still has legs and this is the most ridiculous comment I have seen on it, embarrassing

Dublin lost to Laois, Westmeath and nearly lost to Longford, all in a couple of years in the mid noughties. That's where Dublin were. They had some talented youngsters coming through though. Coinciding with the huge number of professional coaches strangely.

Rosita wrote: »
    1976 Leinster quarter final - Dublin 5-16 Longford 0-7. Really good All Ireland winning Dublin teams winning big over Longford is not new. Not sure where you get the illusion that they were somehow equals until recently.

Oh no, it was clear that Dublin and Kerry were way ahead of everyone else up till the 90's. Things had changed though, other counties were catching up. In fact, many counties had overtaken Dublin. Kildare and Meath were giving Dublin trimmings in Leinster and then Laois and Westmeath and nearly Longford were getting in on the act.

That's why Bailey went begging for money in the 90's. He saw what was happening. In a fair competition, Dublin were being bested by teams with a far smaller population. Couldn't be having that so in came Bertie to the rescue.

Ah it's leinster championship now, nice movement of the goalposts there.
    Championship is championship.
    Again, they've had 4 away games in leinster since 2006.

Wouldnt agree. How many dublin fans would travel to fitzgerald stadium consistently for a start? Are dublin even getting 40,000 on their own doorstep in croke park for leinster games these days? I dont think they are. So you would imagine that moving it elsewhere would be a positive thing. Mayo played kerry in limerick in an all ireland semi final and it was a brilliant occasion with an atmosphere superior to many ive attended in cp.
    Re boxes, they can pay for a seat the same as everyone else. Gaa is a sport of the common person first and foremost. There are lots of towns that could really do with the business championship games could generate. That is more important than placating some sh*thouse who would only attend in a corporate box, for my money anyway. The whole thing shouldnt hinge on grabbing every cent possible.

Dublin vs Kildare 2017...Attendance ... 66,734 for example turned up.

Positive thing not to play in croker ? If there are 60 thousand plus people demanding tickets the fair outcome is to play a match in a venue that can enable as much demand as possible to be catered for... ?

You’d rather that match take place in a venue with about half that capacity, turning up.

It’s game of the ‘common person’... so play it where you can accommodate as many as possible but the game costs to run... and corporate facilities and entertainment do their share as a revenue generating facet of and for the GAA... it’s not just Dublin who benefit from that.... every sport, athletics, soccer, tennis the same... or maybe the GAA should have gone a different way, forget corporate facilities and when the likes of people are complaining about investment and lack of facilities assistance from the GAA, they can be happy they contributed to killing a revenue stream that can and does help GAA nationwide.

• Advertisement

Oh no, it was clear that Dublin and Kerry were way ahead of everyone else up till the 90's. Things had changed though, other counties were catching up. In fact, many counties had overtaken Dublin. Kildare and Meath were giving Dublin trimmings in Leinster and then Laois and Westmeath and nearly Longford were getting in on the act.

That's why Bailey went begging for money in the 90's. He saw what was happening. In a fair competition, Dublin were being bested by teams with a far smaller population. Couldn't be having that so in came Bertie to the rescue.

Meath, Kildare, Laois, Westmeath and Longford caught up so much that Leinster huffed and puffed to just two All Ireland titles between 1995 and 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Dob, I was merely pointing out that Tis not only Dublin in receipt of sponsorship. HNY to you and yours.

Everyone receives sponsorship. The point is Dublin get a hell of a lot more. It's another natural advantage enjoyed by the capital. No matter how much others get their house in order they'll never be able to match dublin here so should receive more funding to help level the playing field.

Unfortunately the gaa will always give dublin the most, the population gap will grow forever and the dominance will get larger to the point of no return. Such a prestigious competition that grew in popularity for over 100 years is now in terminal decline. I'm just glad I witnessed the halcyon days. It was good while it lasted. On the bright side my savings account will benefit greatly. No more expensive match days for the family or neutral fixtures to attend for myself.

Meath, Kildare, Laois, Westmeath and Longford caught up so much that Leinster huffed and puffed to just two All Ireland titles between 1995 and 2011?

I said they caught up with Dublin and it's clear that they did. The province of Leinster may not have been the strongest but that included Dublin. Only Dublin were given access to millions of euros though. Changing the course of history.

I said they caught up with Dublin and it's clear that they did. The province of Leinster may not have been the strongest but that included Dublin. Only Dublin were given access to millions of euros though. Changing the course of history.

The province of Leinster was shocking. More like Dublin regressed. Happily at least one of the Leinster counties addressed their underperformance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Everyone receives sponsorship. The point is Dublin get a hell of a lot more. It's another natural advantage enjoyed by the capital. No matter how much others get their house in order they'll never be able to match dublin here so should receive more funding to help level the playing field.

Unfortunately the gaa will always give dublin the most, the population gap will grow forever and the dominance will get larger to the point of no return. Such a prestigious competition that grew in popularity for over 100 years is now in terminal decline. I'm just glad I witnessed the halcyon days. It was good while it lasted. On the bright side my savings account will benefit greatly. No more expensive match days for the family or neutral fixtures to attend for myself.

Glad we have cleared that up. Corks sponsorship is for Football and Hurling, it does not take into Ladies football or Camogie. Ah the halycon days when meath hammered Dublin, I don't miss them days at all. I had to listen to my relations far to much crowing on about how much better meath were.

Unfortunately Dublin with a great number of people playing, ages, games, genders... were in need of what they received....

If the government were to give education grants by county... who gets the most ?

Yep....Dublin.

Why ? More schools, more students participating, same with the GAA, Dubs have more teams, more clubs, more players.

The argument people make is as if Longford should get the same as Cork... they shouldn’t, simply...

The province of Leinster was shocking. More like Dublin regressed. Happily at least one of the Leinster counties addressed their underperformance.

Dublin went begging for money while Meath were winning All Ireland's and Kildare reached an All Ireland final. I assume by 'addressed their underperformance', you're discussing the millions of euros pumped into Dublin GAA. I suppose if you can't compete fairly that's one way to go about it.

Glad we have cleared that up. Corks sponsorship is for Football and Hurling, it does not take into Ladies football or Camogie. Ah the halycon days when meath hammered Dublin, I don't miss them days at all. I had to listen to my relations far to much crowing on about how much better meath were.

Dublin received 2.1 million is sponsorship in 2019.

The Dubs were seriously hurt by the beatings handed out to them. They wanted to change that by any means possible. Fair or unfair, they didnt care. They went down the unfair route.

Unfortunately Dublin with a great number of people playing, ages, games, genders... were in need of what they received....

If the government were to give education grants by county... who gets the most ?

Yep....Dublin.

Why ? More schools, more students participating, same with the GAA, Dubs have more teams, more clubs, more players.

The argument people make is as if Longford should get the same as Cork... they shouldn’t, simply...

Instead of comparing Cork and Longford, how about we compare Cork and Dublin. As you pointed out, Cork have a large number of clubs. They have a population of over 500,000. Large number of teams and players also.

Can you explain why Cork received 12.5 times less than Dublin in Games development funding this century?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Instead of comparing Cork and Longford, how about we compare Cork and Dublin. As you pointed out, Cork have a large number of clubs. They have a population of over 500,000. Large number of teams and players also.

Can you explain why Cork received 12.5 times less than Dublin in Games development funding this century?

How many primary schools have Cork and how many have Dublin ? That’s were the development funding goes not the clubs .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement