Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

One man who has been behind the success and development of Dublin at all levels and never gets a mention is John Costelloe as County Secretary who is one of the best administrators in the game.

The strategic program manager, regional developoment manager, high pefromance manager etc etc also deserve great credit. I wonder are they all volunteers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Then the real cherry on top was the truly exceptional crop of players from that u12 game Dublin North v Dublin South way back in 2005

And maybe that's the future - Dublin North and Dublin South, a natural rivalry. Or the four local authorities/ county councils that run Dublin County.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Black charlie

And I'm sure with your 5th post on boards that you have evidence of Dublin "getting paid".

The again we had someone claim that they "don't have real jobs" and are "shamateurs".

Ridiculous.

I do as I myself played in Chicago for money 10 year ago now. Money was always higher for the footballers though.
    30 k seems high but the game in Chicago at least would see very serious betting on teams.

Now in all fairness I didn’t have my county board spend a few bob on ensuring I did not find myself doing porridge. Does they count as a salary bik?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Gachla wrote: »
    We're back to this absolute disgusting allegation that every counties volunteers are lazy and useless apart from Dublin's. That's bollox. Every club and county have hard working and dedicated volunteers. Thousands across the country give up their free time.
    Dublin GAA appointed highly paid officials to oversee a plan that was implemented by professional coaches to get their act together. It has cost millions. GDO's who have been involved from the start say that the difference between the standard then and after is staggering, they say that the professional coaches have played a huge part. Like I asked another poster, are you calling them liars?
    Woa Woa back up the horse . Nobody said that any volunteers from any county where lazy in fact they probably have twice as much traveling to do to get to training ,matches etc . So don’t twist what I said . The problem is they are probably doing their best but all pulling different directions thinking their way is the best way forward . Dublin obviously took the decision to work smarter not harder so pulled everyone in line with a proper structure and that should be the benchmark now for other counties to follow . Do you seriously think if your county board went looking for funding for game development that they would be refused it ? If Cillian O Connor wasn’t such a bottle job then this discussion would not even be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yermanhimself

The strategic program manager, regional developoment manager, high pefromance manager etc etc also deserve great credit. I wonder are they all volunteers?
    Probably performance related KPIs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bennyl10 wrote: »
    This. No one is denying the Dubs are supremely talented , but this is as close to Financial Doping as you’ll ever see, and it’s blatant!

Central pot, split it evenly, and then if the Dubs keep it up(as they probably would) no problem.

With these figures an asterisk will remain and Dub fans can do all the sand burying/fingers in ears they wish

Splitting money evenly is a terrible way to split it, money is finite and should be targeted where it can do the best work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BarryD2 wrote: »
    And maybe that's the future - Dublin North and Dublin South, a natural rivalry. Or the four local authorities/ county councils that run Dublin County.

Maybe - but the entirety of the GAA will have to revamped then amalgamations proportional counties - depending on participation rates - difficult to do
    Putting in new structures etc much harder than resolving Brexit!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Woa Woa back up the horse . Nobody said that any volunteers from any county where lazy in fact they probably have twice as much traveling to do to get to training ,matches etc . So don’t twist what I said . The problem is they are probably doing their best but all pulling different directions thinking their way is the best way forward . Dublin obviously took the decision to work smarter not harder so pulled everyone in line with a proper structure and that should be the benchmark now for other counties to follow . Do you seriously think if your county board went looking for funding for game development that they would be refused it ? If Cillian O Connor wasn’t such a bottle job then this discussion would not even be happening.

The "proper structure" you refer to in your post cost millions of euros. Dublin have won more than 80 titles across the board since 2005. This isn't a senior men's footballers issue only.

FatherTed wrote: »
    So I'm an outsider looking in and honestly not well versed on the this situation. I see the non-Dubliners saying Dublin got a huge amount of money and it's unfair but Dubliners are saying their success is through hard work and volunteerism. Correct?

And an exceptional group of players, chairmen and management.
    Funding helped but they love to ignore the former.
    Also they ignore the fact that other counties failings have led to Dublin's dominance.
    No mention of the mistakes other counties made on this thread I noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I do as I myself played in Chicago for money 10 year ago now. Money was always higher for the footballers though.
    30 k seems high but the game in Chicago at least would see very serious betting on teams.
    Now in all fairness I didn’t have my county board spend a few bob on ensuring I did not find myself doing porridge. Does they count as a salary bik?

I think you should contact Revenue commisioners. Or maybe the IRS. Or just go straight to the Donald.

But this has nothing to do with Dublins dominance... unless theres dozens of Dublin players playing there and no other county players get paid.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

salmocab wrote: »
    Splitting money evenly is a terrible way to split it, money is finite and should be targeted where it can do the best work.

No-one is suggesting splitting it evenly per county but at the same time Dublin receiving thirteen times what Cork receive cannot be justified.

Even the GAA has belatedly recognised it is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I wonder if bottle job O Connor was kicking into the bacon factory end in Castlebar and been afforded the same luxury as Cluxton and Rock would he be a hero or a still a bottle job? In relation to money my club was refused a grant from Croke Park two years running. We got it on the third try. And got two other grants the same year!

Probably performance related KPIs

Of course credit must be handed to the late John Bailey also. He went to Bertie looking for the money in the first place.

bruschi wrote: »
    Does your club have a GDO/GPO attached to it?
    Yes it also has 4000 members

ClanofLams wrote: »
    No-one is suggesting splitting it evenly per county but at the same time Dublin receiving thirteen times what Cork receive cannot be justified.

Even the GAA has belatedly recognised it is a problem.

Splitting it evenly is exactly what the poster I responded to suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

68859975_1363302987155404_2052104063717212160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQkAe0LxTgchW2u8y1YkcGigACGzauLQMiyGDrE3nKQpSwuNMAFYiWX7bAUYXp3XTJs&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&tp=1&oh=496874c67144f94461c364c8d28eef70&oe=5DD74A72

salmocab wrote: »
    Splitting it evenly is exactly what the poster I responded to suggested.

It was basically split evenly amongst 31 counties. Not a lot in it between what the county who got 2nd most and the county who got the least. There was just one county way out of line with the rest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Because they got their act together and set out a plan from grass roots up . I’m involved with my clubs nursery , we have a set of drills and stations that are rotating every 4 weeks . Girls and boys from 5-7 some cases 4 years old learn to kick , hand pass , throw and catch and use a hurl through games that they enjoy - no matches take place just games that bring on their hand to eye co ordination and physical development. So from September through to finishing up in June the majority can can kick with both feet and pass with both hands and that does not cost a penny and it’s the same through all age groups in the club , a plan is set out and it is stuck to and no mentor or coach gets a penny for it . It’s a handy excuse to just say it’s money that has brought success but go down to any Dublin club and watch the dedicated players, mentors and coaches who do it for the love of the game and sacrifice earnings and free time for it and tell them they are only successful through funding - it’s a bollox excuse for their own counties lack of groundwork.
    With all due respect (and you're not the only one who has come up with something similar), go down to any club outside of the capital and you'll see the exact same thing. Players, coaches and mentors teaching kids the basics and giving up earnings and free time for the love of the game.
    I don't really have an opinion on this whole topic, but a number of Dublin posters have tried to insinuate that dedicated volunteers in nurseries/underage teams is something that only happens in Dublin. And, to be honest, it shows a huge lack of knowledge of what happens in clubs outside of Dublin.

It is staggering. Dublin have gone for not winning All Ireland's in ladies football, u20/21 football to winning multiple titles. Same staggering improvements at club level. Their hurlers have improved beyond recognition. All across the baord there's been a huge increase in the number of titles. 80 titles in 14 years is staggering, you are attempting to deny cold, hard facts.

Do you understand the phrase underachieving?
    If you cannot understand that Dublin were underachieving - resources population management etc I can't help you.
    Also a blue generation of players arrived sparked by the 2011 win with captured the imagination of Dubs - sure why wouldn't they want to emulate those lads?

Success breeds success it leads to hero's being born.
    I already explained that Dublin used to do f**k all work at underage for decades.
    The effort was not being put it.
    So it now now appears that is staggering it's not.
    It is like George Harrison when he was in the Beatles he was not allowed to flourish. After he left he was free wrote reams of songs - he was underachieving - when he was allowed to express himself in the right environment he REALLY flourished.

It is the same with Dublin players were ignored for years all those songs (players) went missing never to be heard.
    Now Dublin are an orchestra playing a a symphony everyone knows thier job - their conductor is well respected.
    But some people (begrudging fans) do not want to enjoy classical music, they are not ready for it yet. It takes time for those sort of people to mature. Some never will. I feel sorry for them. They are not true gaels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Yes it also has 4000 members

OK. That in one part answers the question. There is a full time employee who has the ability to set up these plans and guidelines. A GPO Is not employed to take over the role of volunteers, but to help enable them better management of a club. So your club is seeing the benefit of this, which is a good thing.

No other county and therefore club ever had this resource made available to them by the gaa until recently.

You also made a point that if counties made applications they wouldn't be turned down. They absolutely were. Many counties set up strategic plans and sought additional funding but were turned down. These weren't ad hoc plans on a fag box, but real long term coaching goals that needed investment in coaching staff.

The GPO initiative is being expanded in Wexford and I know first hand from clubs who have availed of it are finding huge positive impacts with it. This is a step to redress the imbalance caused by the gaa. But again, this still is not available everywhere and the gaa are not providing the service to all counties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

FatherTed wrote: »
    So I'm an outsider looking in and honestly not well versed on the this situation. I see the non-Dubliners saying Dublin got a huge amount of money and it's unfair but Dubliners are saying their success is through hard work and volunteerism. Correct?

They are city boys, they wouldn't know hard work if it bit them on the ankle.

Do you understand the phrase underachieving?

So Dublin were underachieving for the history of the GAA, had a sudden upsurge in fortunes this century across all areas of Gaelic Games, this happened at the exact same time millions were pumped into Dublin GAA but somehow that's not connected?

They are city boys, they wouldn't know hard work if it bit them on the ankle.

Jayus, you get broadband up there now?

With all due respect (and you're not the only one who has come up with something similar), go down to any club outside of the capital and you'll see the exact same thing. Players, coaches and mentors teaching kids the basics and giving up earnings and free time for the love of the game.
    I don't really have an opinion on this whole topic, but a number of Dublin posters have tried to insinuate that dedicated volunteers in nurseries/underage teams is something that only happens in Dublin. And, to be honest, it shows a huge lack of knowledge of what happens in clubs outside of Dublin.
    From working with lads that are involved with their own home teams outside I do know for a fact that the county boards let them down with structure and a dedicated plan to all stick to . As I have said in a previous post that lads around the country would have to give up extra time for travel to get to the clubs for training, matches etc. but all are working hard but pulling in different directions thinking that their way is the best , listen there are plenty of things I’m asked to do that I don’t necessarily agree with but I just roll with the instructions.

So Dublin were underachieving for the history of the GAA, had a sudden upsurge in fortunes this century across all areas of Gaelic Games, this happened at the exact same time millions were pumped into Dublin GAA but somehow that's not connected?

You are confusing cause and effect there.

They had to get structure and management done correctly to use the exceptional group of players.

Tyrone - regressed

Kerry - regressed

Cork - regressed

You are just attaching one single variable to it.
    This is called confirmation biases.

There are a number of variables why Dublin are going for a five in a row not a single cause.
    I should not have to repeat them all again.

I already explained exceptional players, management, structure, success breeding success allied to funding of course

• Advertisement

They had to get structure and management done correctly to use the exceptional group of players.

Tyrone - regressed

Kerry - regressed

Cork - regressed

You are just attaching one single variable to it.
    This is called confirmation biases.

There are a number of variables why Dublin are going for a five in a row not a single cause.
    I should not have to repeat them all again.

You are not even addressing Gachla’s main point, that success shot up across the board in men’s football women’s football hurling camogie juvenile etc. He/She is not just referring to senior football.

Is it your theory that Dublin were underachieving in all these disciplines? And that a massive increase in funding was not a substantial factor in massively increased standards in ALL those disciplines?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

And I'm sure with your 5th post on boards that you have evidence of Dublin "getting paid".

The again we had someone claim that they "don't have real jobs" and are "shamateurs".

Ridiculous.

Ok can we move on from this baseless allegation?

You are unable to explain the unprecedented increase in titles across all codes and grades in Dublin GAA. 80+ since 2005. And counting! It really is the nail in the coffin for those desperately trying to deny the effect the huge increase in funding has had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Finally a thread to discuss the biggest single issue in the GAA!!!!!

The solution is as follows.

Cut all Dublin funding and bring up all other counties funding so that every player in Ireland received the same funding per capita. Mickey from Leitrim should receive same funding as Mickey from ballymun.

No more special sweetheart deals for dubs.

It will take years for genuine equality to be achieved so that Mickey from leitrim/Sligo/wherever has the same funding and facilities but we have to start somewhere.

Divide Dublin into 4. They will still have HUGE population advantages over every other county which really shows how bloody ludicrous the situation is.

Make Dublin play as many away matches as any other county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Finally a thread to discuss the biggest single issue in the GAA!!!!!

The solution is as follows.

Cut all Dublin funding and bring up all other counties funding so that every player in Ireland received the same funding per capita. Mickey from Leitrim should receive same funding as Mickey from ballymun.

No more special sweetheart deals for dubs.

It will take years for genuine equality to be achieved so that Mickey from leitrim/Sligo/wherever has the same funding and facilities but we have to start somewhere.

Divide Dublin into 4. They will still have HUGE population advantages over every other county which really shows how bloody ludicrous the situation is.

Make Dublin play as many away matches as any other county.

QED

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    You are not even addressing Gachla’s main point, that success shot up across the board in men’s football women’s football hurling camogie juvenile etc. He/She is not just referring to senior football.

Is it your theory that Dublin were underachieving in all these disciplines? And that a massive increase in funding was not a substantial factor in massively increased standards in ALL those disciplines?

Yeah Dublin were underachieving across the board one minor win 1984 two AI wins between 83 and 95, 95-10
    No u21 until 2003 - they did not even enter it
    It a number of variables the same structures were implemented accorss the board.
    Also the ladies footballers underachieved for ages as well look at all the finals they lost.

Now they are only slightly above what they should have been achieving in the first place until they got thier act together management, structure, plan, players.

The 00's Dublin teams were notoriously flaky and soft how does funding help thier minds?

Regarding saying it is grossly insulting to talk about the HUGE inequalities and inherent unfairness of the financial doping scandal....

No. What is actually genuinely insulting is dubs fans telling the rest of us that the crazy level of funding has had little or no effect on the last ten years + of Dublin GAA

Lads. Give over. You are fooling nobody.

Well that’s just not true, Cork has over half a million people and Dublin Has 1.5 or so.

The irony is of course, Jim G has grudgingly admitted it to other county managers/coaches behind closed doors -I’m told they almost had to torture him to get it out of him - He said don’t quote me and was joking was there anyone from RTÉ in the room!

But fair play, he did acknowledge it at least.

But he would never admit it openly in public because that would bring the whole rotten facade crashing down and make a Mickey mockery of Dublin’s so called “achievements”.

In fairness I have often had good discussions with genuine Dublin supporters who admit they are embarrassed/disgusted at how things have developed since Bertie and co decided to throw money at Dublin and ruin competitiveness in Gaelic senior football.

The irony is of course, Jim G has grudgingly admitted it to other county managers/coaches behind closed doors -I’m told they almost had to torture him to get it out of him - He said don’t quote me and was joking was there anyone from RTÉ in the room!

But he would never admit it openly in public because that would bring the whole rotten facade crashing down and make a Mickey mockery of Dublin’s so called “achievements”.

In fairness I have often had good discussions with genuine Dublin supporters who admit they are embarrassed/disgusted at how things have developed since Bertie and co decided to throw money at Dublin and ruin competitiveness in Gaelic senior football.
    That is absolute bollocks. As if Jim Gavin would say something like that 😂😂😂

You are unable to explain the unprecedented increase in titles across all codes and grades in Dublin GAA. 80+ since 2005. And counting! It really is the nail in the coffin for those desperately trying to deny the effect the huge increase in funding has had.

I just did you are one of those who do not read posts obviously - you seem to come up with the same goading chart with Mayo colours and 'Dublin doping'
    I have explained the factors to you again and again and again.

You refuse to look at all the variables.

I will make it easy for you the Irish soccer team underachieved for years - 88 was the spark it gave momentum 90 was a success - it then sparked the best generation of young footballers ever seen in Ireland under Kerr at underage - Duff, Keane, Dunne among them?
    The GAA then lost Long and Doyle to soccer as a result - they were inspired from Wexford and Cork to play soccer - not hurling for them.

Was that down to funding?
    It was down to inspirational heroes to follow.

Add to the fact that Dublin had Costello pulling the strings in the DCB, and great managers, mixed with exceptional players - all of this creates a culture of winning an environment an ethos.
    It is inspirational it inspires others to join in.

If a team loses like Offaly fans and players lose interest they are uninspired they go elsewhere or give up.

Are you not inspired by this Dublin team to be the best damn Gachla you can be?
    Strive for perfection dot the i's cross the t's 100% effort - maybe a new chart you create - something you are proud of that will inspire others?
    Invent your own phrase to disparage Dublin instead of copying the hacks - inspire others?

Yeah Dublin were underachieving across the board one minor win 1984 two AI wins between 83 and 95, 95-10
    No u21 until 2003 - they did not even enter it
    It a number of variables the same structures were implemented accorss the board.
    Also the ladies footballers underachieved for ages as well look at all the finals they lost.

Now they are only slightly above what they should have been achieving in the first place until they got thier act together management, structure, plan, players.

The 00's Dublin teams were notoriously flaky and soft how does funding help thier minds?

I’m not sure Dublin underachieved in the 2000s, they just didn’t have the same calibre of player as Kerry or Tyrone.

But regardless the fact that Dublin footballers, hurlers and ladies footballers are all enjoying their best decade in history (the last sixty years for the hurlers) fifteen to twenty years after a massive increase in funding and claiming funding is not a substantial factor in that improvement is quite a leap.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Strumms wrote: »
    The huge number of professional coaches gets highlighted but the highly paid officials who oversee the system which has increased standards accross all age and levels in Dublin GAA don't get as much attention. Here's some of the job roles:

Strategic Program Manager

Games Development Project Coordinator

Regional Development Manager

High Performance Manager

Dublin GAA pay millions in wages every year but of course all of this has no impact in the huge increase in standards in Dublin GAA. :rolleyes:

How many people live in Dublin ? How many play GAA ? It’s only appropriate that Dublin have their house in order to facilitate as best they can.. the experience of participating in the sport.

1.35 million and 39,000 respectively. So a whopping 3% of the population of Dublin play competitively or are registered.

And as for this so called exceptional manager let’s see how exceptional Jim is if he had to to manage literally any other county with some way normal resources

I very much doubt he would ever take that challenge on. I hope he proves me wrong.

Let him manage a mid level county with mid level resources (a world away from the ludicrous advantages what Dublin enjoys) to success. That would be a fitting challenge would it not? It would shut up naysayers wouldn’t it?

I suspect though he will never take up that challenge. Too much like real work for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It's not just home advantage. See what Chris Barrett has to go through to be part of the Mayo panel
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/mayo-s-chris-barrett-balancing-work-and-play-for-gaa-not-sustainable-any-more-1.3981640

They can make it semi-professional and start rewarding players in some way for their efforts

You’ve asked and answered your own question there.

I’d say Chris Barrett is (at least) semi-pro given the amount of money he’ll be making off mileage.

• Advertisement

I just did

No, you didn't. What is factually incorrect about the graph?

What changed in Dublin GAA is that they got a huge number of professional coaches and appointed highly paid officers to oversee the new structures they wanted to put into place. GDO's who have been there from the start have noted the incredible change in standards from when they started to today. They say it's like night and day. Obviously, this will have a major impact on the standard of players available. This is at club level and inter county level. The results of this are there for all to see. 80+ titles in 14 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

There is rubbish and then there is that.

bruschi wrote: »
    There is rubbish and then there is that.

I wasn’t there personally. Was a high end gathering. I wouldn’t be fit the tie the bootlaces of most at it.

I was told story by two diff ppl from diff counties without prompting and on separate occasions. As it happens, I respect and believe them.

Thanks

And as for this so called exceptional manager let’s see how exceptional Jim is if he had to to manage literally any other county with some way normal resources

I very much doubt he would ever take that challenge on. I hope he proves me wrong.

Let him manage a mid level county with mid level resources (a world away from the ludicrous advantages what Dublin enjoys) to success. That would be a fitting challenge would it not?

I suspect though he will never take up that challenge. Too much like real work for him?

This post smacks of jealousy straight away look at how Jim achieved success at underage. How he changed tactics following the 2014 defeat.
    A very humble man, a polite man - a man who you should seek to emulate rather than attempt to disparage in hypothetical scenarios. Gavin does not lose enough for you so you have to make him lose in your minds eye. In a made up scenario.
    Do you not think Jim Gavin puts in work with this Dublin team it just happens?
    Cop yourself on.

This post smacks of jealousy straight away look at how Jim achieved success at underage. How he changed tactics following the 2014 defeat.
    A very humble man, a polite man - a man who you should seek to emulate rather than attempt to disparage in hypothetical scenarios. Gavin does not lose enough for you so you have to make him lose in your minds eye. In a made up scenario.
    Cop yourself on.

Your wasting your time. He’s happy to say anything without any proof or even credibility.

Have you got ANYTHING substantial to add to your rants? Ever?

Cop yourself on.

Humble????

Humble????

Are you for real?

Dublin have crazy and mad advantages over every other county.

Inherent advantages in terms of population and facilities as it is the capital city.

then to add petrol to the fire HUGE financial advantages

Yet He personally and the Dublin set up revel in it.

What’s humble about that?

The rest of the country is jumping up and down screaming for the inequality to be addressed and we supposed to respect a supposedly humble and polite man?

Get real. Again, you and your like are fooling nobody.

Cop yourself on.

It sounds awfully like something a certain Brazil-based journalist would say.

What was it he called Jim Gavin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

I’ve read an awful lot of shíte on gaa threads here the past few years but this wins. Fair play.

• Advertisement

You’ve asked and answered your own question there.

I’d say Chris Barrett is (at least) semi-pro given the amount of money he’ll be making off mileage.

Fairly sure I saw somewhere Mayo lads were taking a bus down this year so there wouldn’t be any mileage.

In previous years they took turns driving, they are hugely ambitious guys, I would think they would prefer to be to leave for training at 6pm and be home resting up at 9.30pm than knocking a few euro out of mileage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement