Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

tritium wrote: »
    So you actually don’t have any answer

Just throwing out headlines and hoping to make a sensationalised story

I just gave you a detailed answer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Right, a separate warning to both sides in this debate:
    Firstly, any more mentioning of "financial doping" or any intimation that rules have been broken by Dublin or that Dublin have cheated are banned from now on. You can debate the issue of the funding that Dublin have received without resorting to that. There is zero evidence of it and posting about it will be considered trolling from here on in.

Secondly, this topic is, like it or not, a big talking point in gaelic football at the moment. You are more than welcome to argue your point, but posting in this thread to simply mock those on the other side or complaining about the topic is known as thread spoiling and is specifically banned in the charter (see point 8 here). No one is forcing you to click on this thread and no one is forcing you to post in it. If you don't like the topic, then don't post. It's as simple as that.

This thread is here so that all the discussion is in one place and it won't filter into other threads. This makes it easier to ignore for posters who don't really want to be involved in it. As a result, we haven't really been moderating it as severely as other threads. However, a number of posts recently from both sides are sailing too close to the wind and getting borderline personal. So please take a minute before you hit submit to ensure that your post won't fall foul of the rules. We'll have no hesitation in issuing cards and/or threadbans to posters who fail to heed this warning.

Please report any posts that you feel break the rules.

Any questions, please feel free to PM the mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Enquiring wrote: »
    So you're in favour of Dublin receiving 2.1 million per year in sponsorship while other counties receive pittance?

Dublin spend over 1.5 million every year on team preparations. That's without much travel expenses. Far more than any other county when travel expenses are taken away. It's a huge amount Dublin spend, all part of the reason why Dublin being split is been called for. They're operating at a professional level in an amateur sport.

Love the way you always have caveats

“If I take this away dublin get more....”
    “If I only look at what was given directly to the counties dublin get so much more again”
    “If I take the headline figures and ignore the details dublin are really taking the piss now...”

I’m in favour of all counties maximising their sponsorship and putting in the work to do just that. Exactly what cork have done. 2 million over five years with performance incentives to dramatically increase that. Hardly a pittance. I’m assuming that, like dublin, cork will also be looking at other sponsorship channels- things may be looking up for the rebel county and fair play to them. When the other teams have done the same maybe come back to discuss if any rebalancing is warranted.

tritium wrote: »
    Love the way you always have caveats

“If I take this away dublin get more....”
    “If I only look at what was given directly to the counties dublin get so much more again”
    “If I take the headline figures and ignore the details dublin are really taking the piss now...”

I’m in favour of all counties maximising their sponsorship and putting in the work to do just that. Exactly what cork have done. 2 million over five years with performance incentives to dramatically increase that. Hardly a pittance. I’m assuming that, like dublin, cork will also be looking at other sponsorship channels- things may be looking up for the rebel county and fair play to them. When the other teams have done the same maybe come back to discuss if any rebalancing is warranted.

You use quote marks there but you didn't insert any quotes from me.

It appears you are projecting. You want to exclude almost 2 decades worth of funding. You want to ignore the extreme levels of spending within Dublin GAA.

The possibility for a level of sponsorship at Corks level is not even slightly realistic for the huge majority of counties. The possibility of the level of sponsorship that Dublin receive is not slightly possible for any county.

To claim otherwise is extremely disingenuous.

Give every county appropriate funding so they can develop Gaelic games. Pool sponsorship. Put a cap on spending for team preparations. Split Dublin into 4.

In no particular order, these are the steps required to make Gaelic games fair and equitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when JP gets the call to say the money he's giving Limerick has to be shared with other counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Give every county appropriate funding so they can develop Gaelic games. Pool sponsorship. Put a cap on spending for team preparations. Split Dublin into 4.

In no particular order, these are the steps required to make Gaelic games fair and equitable.

In case you missed it, someone above asked a relevant question of why Dublin should try to maximize sponsorship if its going to be pooled.

Taken to an extremity, there'd be no reason not to just accept €500 from some shop on Dorset St? Why bother searching any further?

In case you missed it, someone above asked a relevant question of why Dublin should try to maximize sponsorship if its going to be pooled.

Taken to an extremity, there'd be no reason not to just accept €500 from some shop on Dorset St? Why bother searching any further?

Hang on a minute. Are you saying Dublin GAA are not interested in the health of Gaelic games? They're only interested if it's Dublin GAA who are benefiting?

You're not painting them in a good light. Dublin GAA have received millions upon millions of euros from all of us. We've all paid for the huge numbers of coaches nearly every club in Dublin has had access to. The increased sponsorship has been gained off the back of this.

Now, after accepting the money granted to Dublin GAA, after seeing structures and standards improve across the board, after winning about 100 titles from it, Dublin GAA are going to stick their middle finger up to everyone else and keep every cent for themselves, is that what you're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

A simple solution is for all other counties fans to boycott games for one season. Guarantee the gaa will take notice when Donegal are playing Mayo in an empty Croke Park

Robson99 wrote: »
    A simple solution is for all other counties fans to boycott games for one season. Guarantee the gaa will take notice when Donegal are playing Mayo in an empty Croke Park

I think this is something we have to promote. They won't take notice otherwise as you say. It will be the future anyway if things are let continue as they are. Interest in the farce of a football championship is already falling massively. And that includes Dublin people who attend games.

Boycott, hit them where it hurts. Let them know that we want an ending to professional structures for one county only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The GAA would simply be within their right to withdraw funding completely for both counties. Mayo and Donegal would be hurting the games nationwide. Don’t want to contribute ? Then you don’t benefit.

If Mayo and Donegal don’t want to contribute to the revenue stream that benefits the clubs and counties the length and breadth of the country... they can have zero rights to hold their paw out looking for their ‘share’....

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    The GAA would simply be within their right to withdraw funding completely for both counties. Mayo and Donegal would be hurting the games nationwide. Don’t want to contribute ? Then you don’t benefit.

If Mayo and Donegal don’t want to contribute to the revenue stream that benefits the clubs and counties the length and breadth of the country... they can have zero rights to hold their paw out looking for their ‘share’....

And there are some really good supporters in Mayo and Donegal who live and breathe GAA. Maybe it's not the best solution but it's on the list of possibilities.

A better one could be boycotting Dublin games. All league and championship games involving Dublin. This would really highlight the problem people have with the financial situation in Dublin GAA.

If Donegal are playing mayo in croke park it'll be either an all ireland quarter final or semi final, it certainly won't be full but it won't be empty/boycotted either.
    Donegal/mayo final is a sell out.
    Can't see limerick, cork, tipp, kilkenny, waterford, galway supporters even entertaining the suggestion of a boycott.
    Was there a boycott when kerry played tyrone in the semi final in 2019?

So by that logic if the crowd is small in Croke Park then the participating counties will get less?
    Do Kerry get less if their fans don't travel for an AI Semi ?

Hang on a minute. Are you saying Dublin GAA are not interested in the health of Gaelic games? They're only interested if it's Dublin GAA who are benefiting?

I don't particular see it that way - merely pointing out that logically the person whose role it is to maximise the sponsorship in a county is immediately less incentivised under a pooling system. It's not particularly a Dublin thing, it would also apply to every other county - indeed every other sport. Its just a truism.

The alternative I guess is a centralised sponsor system such that MegaCorp pay X Million to have their name on every county jersey and the money is distributed 32 ways, though this has huge downsides as well (the overall amount would be smaller, and the link between counties and a sponsor is broken).

So by that logic if the crowd is small in Croke Park then the participating counties will get less?
    Do Kerry get less if their fans don't travel for an AI Semi ?

A boycott is something organized, deliberate... there is the difference...

A boycott is something organized, deliberate... there is the difference...

But it would be the supporters not attending...the team still turns up..
    The only way the Gaa understand things is in their pockets. The way it's going it's going to hurt them anyways as people are losing interest year on year.
    FWIW I have no issue with the Dubs...they are a joy to watch the last 10 years or so and have fantastic footballers... It's just that they are going to win min 6 out of 10 each decade going forward.
    Maybe they should be made play some of their games outside Croke Park....oh wait that won't happen...financial hit on the Gaa

They played 2 games outside of croke park in 2018 and 2019. I for one would be delighted if there were more dublin games outside of croke park, much prefer away games.

A better one could be boycotting Dublin games. All league and championship games involving Dublin. This would really highlight the problem people have with the financial situation in Dublin GAA.

Boycott Dublin games ? Same outcome... your funding gets withdrawn...100% of it. Your ticket allowance goes on general sale.. Not willing to put it in, you don’t get to take anything out....there would be a financial problem...

Imagine the shoe was on the opposite foot... Dublin unhappy with xyz, toys out of the pram... going to boycott games ? uproar...!

But it would be the supporters not attending...the team still turns up..
    The only way the Gaa understand things is in their pockets. The way it's going it's going to hurt them anyways as people are losing interest year on year.
    FWIW I have no issue with the Dubs...they are a joy to watch the last 10 years or so and have fantastic footballers... It's just that they are going to win min 6 out of 10 each decade going forward.
    Maybe they should be made play some of their games outside Croke Park....oh wait that won't happen...financial hit on the Gaa

Outside of croker, no problem, but, as I’ve said before... the same fans will be spitting dummies then when they are scrambling for tickets for stadia that hold 45/46 thousand in Cork and Tipp instead of 80,000 in croker.

• Advertisement

I don't particular see it that way - merely pointing out that logically the person whose role it is to maximise the sponsorship in a county is immediately less incentivised under a pooling system. It's not particularly a Dublin thing, it would also apply to every other county - indeed every other sport. Its just a truism.

The alternative I guess is a centralised sponsor system such that MegaCorp pay X Million to have their name on every county jersey and the money is distributed 32 ways, though this has huge downsides as well (the overall amount would be smaller, and the link between counties and a sponsor is broken).

Obviously you dont see it that way. Sponsorship is divided out by HQ anyway. Dublin received 2.3 million in 2019 when that money is included.

Imagine the shoe was on the opposite foot... Dublin unhappy with xyz, toys out of the pram... going to boycott games ? uproar...!

And a solution found...and quickly

Obviously you dont see it that way. Sponsorship is divided out by HQ anyway. Dublin received 2.3 million in 2019 when that money is included.

You're referring to competition name sponsors I think? As in 'AIB' football championship, or whoever it currently is.

Clearly that's a different stream to the individual sponsorship each county gets from a brand who wishes to be associated with that specific county. And it's that which you are trying to justify the pooling of, despite it being a terribly flawed idea.

Boycott Dublin games ? Same outcome... your funding gets withdrawn...100% of it. Your ticket allowance goes on general sale.. Not willing to put it in, you don’t get to take anything out....there would be a financial problem...

Are you John Horan? There will be no funding withdrawn for supporters choosing not to attend games!

The reason for a boycott has been pointed out numerous times in this thread. You are well aware of these issues I assume? If it was another county who had these issues, people would be calling for a boycott of their games also. The issue is with Dublin GAA though, it's nothing personal.

Are you John Horan? There will be no funding withdrawn for supporters choosing not to attend games!

The reason for a boycott has been pointed out numerous times in this thread. You are well aware of these issues I assume? If it was another county who had these issues, people would be calling for a boycott of their games also. The issue is with Dublin GAA though, it's nothing personal.

No, not JH.... ;)

Again, if certain counties abdicate a will or want to participate fully in the sports in good faith, they are in my book, abdicating to benefit from funding...

If you don’t put in, you can’t get out.

You're referring to competition name sponsors I think? As in 'AIB' football championship, or whoever it currently is.

Clearly that's a different stream to the individual sponsorship each county gets from a brand who wishes to be associated with that specific county. And it's that which you are trying to justify the pooling of, despite it being a terribly flawed idea.

How is it flawed? Are AIG born and bred Dubs who couldn't face having their money going to other counties? Is Mike Ashley a Cork man? You're talking nonsense.

Pooled sponsorship is only opposed by some people in the counties who receive huge sums. How can it be a fair competition if that's let continue?

• Advertisement

How is it flawed? Are AIG born and bred Dubs who couldn't face having their money going to other counties? Is Mike Ashley a Cork man? You're talking nonsense.

Pooled sponsorship is only opposed by some people in the counties who receive huge sums. How can it be a fair competition if that's let continue?

Because if Dublin, spend time, effort, from office to meeting room, 1000 man hours of preparation, calculations, negotiations... and in the end a deal is struck for xxxxxxx with AON insurance let’s say... Dublin’s fruits of that endeavor should be to hand xx% of that to their competition ? Who have done no more then sit around their kitchen drinking tea waiting for the phone to ring ?

Even in lala land that is erm, far fetched and flawed to the extreme.

No, not JH.... ;)

Again, if certain counties abdicate a will or want to participate fully in the sports in good faith, they are in my book, abdicating to benefit from funding...

The boycott will be by supporters. County boards shouldn't take part. Mainly because of the threats like the above. These threats are what has been happening for years. If counties dared to go against HQ, then they'd know they'd have issues with funding.

This has to be a campaign raised from the grassroots. Your clubs and counties have been underfunded for 2 decades in favour of one county with the largest population. It's time we all stood up and put an end to it.

No, not JH.... ;)

So the rich get richer...It's not that long ago Dublin were unable to get crowds into croke park and based on the population there they should be filling it 2 or 3 times over...but the Gaa and Bertie did not look on it as the Dubs not putting it in
    The way it's going there will always be at least 22 or 23 counties who will never get to play in an All Ireland Final again

Because if Dublin, spend time, effort, from office to meeting room, 2000 man hours of preparation, calculations, negotiations... and in the end a deal is struck for xxxxxxx with AON insurance let’s say... Dublin’s fruits of that endeavor should be to hand xx% of that to their competition ? Who have done no more then sit around their kitchen drinking tea waiting for the phone to ring ?

Even in lala land that is erm, far fetched and flawed to the extreme.

Dublins increased sponsorship came off the back of the money we all gave to Dublin GAA. Not least as without it, affording highly paid marketing managers would not have been possible.

The pooled sponsorship is not just for Dublin though. Every county would have to abide by the rules and every county would have a cap on team preparation spending.

The boycott will be by supporters. County boards shouldn't take part. Mainly because of the threats like the above. These threats are what has been happening for years. If counties dared to go against HQ, then they'd know they'd have issues with funding.

This has to be a campaign raised from the grassroots. Your clubs and counties have been underfunded for 2 decades in favour of one county with the largest population. It's time we all stood up and put an end to it.

You still remove funding.

• Advertisement

And thus we go around in circles unfortunately.
    In your world where sponsorship is pooled, why would the Cork board have put together a plan for approaching Sports Direct/Fraser Group, making the calls to get a foot in the door, doing the pitch, maximising the revenue? Just for it to be split 32 ways.

I've been in that situation of trying to raise as much sponsorship as possible for a sports team. I'd have done a lot less legwork if I'd known anything I got in was getting split, especially if I was going to get a share of what the other teams in the league raised. Though human nature being what it is, their treasurers would have had the same attitude.

Dublins increased sponsorship came off the back of the money we all gave to Dublin GAA. Not least as without it, affording highly paid marketing managers would not have been possible.

The pooled sponsorship is not just for Dublin though. Every county would have to abide by the rules and every county would have a cap on team preparation spending.

No, that’s ridiculous ;)

Dublin’s increased sponsorship is down to their levels of success, on the pitch. Companies wish to be associated with success... Dublin can demand more revenue on the back of that success.

They have been successful. They have been the most consistently successful sports teams in the history of the state probably ... business want to get on board with that.. naturally.

JP McManus is a born and bred Limerick man.
    For years now I've been hearing about boycotts of dublin games by dublin fans because of a lack of tickets when dublin get to all ireland finals but it never happens.
    You can get all the way to an all ireland final without ever meeting dublin, if Donegal played mayo in an all ireland semi final in croke park there'd be no boycott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

With Graham Reilly now officially retiring and Ross Munnelly probably likely not to feature for Laois this year we could be heading to witness a championship (Leinster SFC) in which the ONLY players playing that have a winning medal at any stage in their career are all from one county.

Has this ever happened in any province (besides Connaught SHC and Ulster SHC)?

Has it happened in club football? - Crossmaglen is probably the only case I can think of.

Club football (soccer) in UK and Europe ? I don't think so

We are really getting into unknown territory with the Dubs dominance of Leinster football.

Along with the above is a viscious circle with interest in the other counties waning and young people are not becoming fans at a young age and it wont matter as much when things do turn around - if for however brief a period the turnaround is for.

Wishful thinking.

In your world where sponsorship is pooled, why would the Cork board have put together a plan for approaching Sports Direct/Fraser Group, making the calls to get a foot in the door, doing the pitch, maximising the revenue? Just for it to be split 32 ways.

I've been in that situation of trying to raise as much sponsorship as possible for a sports team. I'd have done a lot less legwork if I'd known anything I got in was getting split, especially if I was going to get a share of what the other teams in the league raised. Though human nature being what it is, their treasurers would have had the same attitude.

So do you think it's a fair competition if some counties are receiving 2.3 million while others are receiving pittance? Or you don't think it is but you think that's how the GAA should be let continue?

Dublins sponsorship income has increased by over a million in 4 years. What happens when they reach 5 million in sponsorship income? More than that?

It must be repeated. Gaelic games are amateur sports. The GAA wasnt formed and didn't grow on the ethos of professionalism. It was never about how much money you had like in other sports. Some may be happy to go down that route and see where it leads. I'm not and there are many more like me.

No, that’s ridiculous ;)

Dublin’s increased sponsorship is down to their levels of success, on the pitch. Companies wish to be associated with success... Dublin can demand more revenue on the back of that success.

They have been successful. They have been the most consistently successful sports teams in the history of the state probably ... business want to get on board with that.. naturally.

Dublins increased success came from the introduction of a huge number of professional coaches paid for by all of us. 100 titles since then and the sponsors came on board off he back of that.

dixiefly wrote: »
    With Graham Reilly now officially retiring and Ross Munnelly probably likely not to feature for Laois this year we could be heading to witness a championship (Leinster SFC) in which the ONLY players playing that have a winning medal at any stage in their career are all from one county.

Has this ever happened in any province (besides Connaught SHC and Ulster SHC)?

Has it happened in club football? - Crossmaglen is probably the only case I can think of.

Club football (soccer) in UK and Europe ? I don't think so

We are really getting into unknown territory with the Dubs dominance of Leinster football.

Along with the above is a viscious circle with interest in the other counties waning and young people are not becoming fans at a young age and it wont matter as much when things do turn around - if for however brief a period the turnaround is for.

It really is a crisis period for Gaelic games. We need to act now before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking that Dublin will be split in 4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Haven’t followed all of this but unless I am missing something, obvious solution is GAA centrally appoints commercial officer (or whatever title you want to give) to each county whose job is to maximise income from sponsorships. Like with any role, they would have to hit certain benchmarks or kpis or whatever.

• Advertisement

dunnerc wrote: »
    Wishful thinking that Dublin will be split in 4 .

They will be split eventually, one way or another. Nobody (not even Dubs it seems) is interested in seeing Dublin winning 17/18 out of every 20 All Irelands.

It’s really just a question of how long the GAA takes and how much damage they allow. Continued drop in attendances & viewing figures will be what does it most probably and it will likely take a few years yet.

It really is a crisis period for Gaelic games. We need to act now before it's too late.

It’s really not... nobody is dominating in hurling...neither population or any finances making a snot of difference... that’s proof...

Football.. the skills, fitness and entertainment levels across country are at an all time high... good ever improving facilities... emerging counties putting it up to the challenges..

Kerry nobled by Cork last year, a really good emerging Tipp side...

People need just to stop pissing on their slippers and satisfy themselves that this Dublin team is simply the greatest sports team in the history of the state..

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They will be split eventually, one way or another. Nobody (not even Dubs it seems) is interested in seeing Dublin winning 17/18 out of every 20 All Irelands.

It’s really just a question of how long the GAA takes and how much damage they allow. Continued drop in attendances & viewing figures will be what does it most probably and it will likely take a few years yet.

:) They won’t.. if Dublin were told “we are splitting you”... NO is the only word and the GAA could do fûck all... couldn’t even expell them... they haven’t broken any rules, they’ve just been successful... plus the GAA won’t or can’t give up that revenue stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Didn't the dubs have a boycott where they'd refuse to buy anything while at matches in croker, be that pints, sambos, fizzy drinks or crisps? The aim of that was to prove a point while hurting the gaa financially.

Did your funding get cut? I doubt it.

:) They won’t.. if Dublin were told “we are splitting you”... NO is the only word and the GAA could do fûck all... couldn’t even expell them... they haven’t broken any rules, they’ve just been successful... plus the GAA won’t or can’t give up that revenue stream.

Attendances and falling viewing numbers will do it. 45k at Dublin Galway All Ireland semi final in 2018, All Ireland final v Tyrone not fully sold out per Irish Times.

Under 1 million viewers of All Ireland final this year compared to 1.3 million last time Dublin & Mayo played (different time than normal of course).

Domination causes declining interest. Declining interest causes less income. That causes action. It’s going to happen regardless, the GAA will prob kick the can down the road as long as possible.

There is some serious contradiction in your posting. Dublin haven’t broken any rules so nothing can be done but if supporters of other counties were to choose not to attend games involving their county and Dublin their funding would be 100% removed. Seriously what planet are you on where counties could be punished if supporters make a choice not to attend games?!

It doesn’t matter in reality, i doubt a boycott per se will ever happen, it will just be supporters choosing not to bother spending a few hundred to go to a game where the outcome is as close to guaranteed as possible in sport which is already happening and affecting attendances.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Didn't the dubs have a boycott where they'd refuse to buy anything while at matches in croker, be that pints, sambos, fizzy drinks or crisps? The aim of that was to prove a point while hurting the gaa financially.

Did your funding get cut? I doubt it.

They have bought tickets, under no obligation to buy anything else...In a democracy, one has the ability to pick where and if to spend their money. You’d want to be in some strange communist drizzle hole to be demanding that people should spend at your venue/stadium... :)

They have bought tickets, under no obligation to buy anything else...In a democracy, one has the ability to pick where and if to spend their money. You’d want to be in some strange communist drizzle hole to be demanding that people should spend at your venue/stadium... :)

This is quite the post a couple of pages after suggesting that counties whose supporters opted not to attend games involving Dublin should have 100% of their funding withdrawn.

As somebody already pointed out if sponsorship was pooled the GAA should set up a board to organise sponsors for different counties and maximise revenue. Most sponsors are paying for the coverage they receive not because they love their county. And if they do it because they love their county they'll still get their names on their beloved Jersey and be patrons of the GAA.

Why are Dubs so against fairness? Is it because if you agree to these changes you recognise previous wrong doings of the gaa that led to better results for your team?

Pooling sponsorship is definitely needed. Ironic how you can't change anything now that would be unfair to dublin whether that's sponsors or underage coaches but the unfair changes dublin got 20 years ago was grand. Give me a break.

Watershed moment for Leinster this year if Munnelly retires. 1st time in history that only players from Dublin have a provincial medal. We could potentially see this for the AI in a few years too.

Boycotts have already begun by the fans. Leinster counties support has dwindled. When I was growing up multiple counties had days where 20-30k fans would on occasion travel to croker. Inspiring for young kids. Today's youth don't travel and all they see is dublin hammering everyone by 20 points. Not inspiring.

The last great day of fanfare the championship had was 2010 when about 25k travelled from Louth and about the same from Meath. A relic from an age we won't see again.

Dublin will never agree to be split. But fans will dissappear from all counties, viewership and sponsorship will fall outside dublin and the top hurling counties.

Ultimately the first sign of change will be teams pulling out or giving dublin walkovers. Most likely Leinster counties. If that doesn't force change the boycotting teams will set up their own competition.

The Leinster Football Championship could be replaced by The Leinster Football County Championship. Easily done and will be far more entertaining then the current product.

• Advertisement

OK so tell me again if fans of other counties decide not to watch their team get demolished by dublin or go to any matches when every knows dublin will win the competition, should their counties have funds cut.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement