Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There needs to be serious progress made come congress. It’s widely accepted at this stage that this level of uncompetitiveness can’t continue

Widely accepted by who? Boards posters? Mayo people?

What exactly are they proposing for Congress? Amalgamations to improve competitiveness? Splitting Kerry as the winner of most All-Irelands in two?

Seriously, a few people on an internet board raging with jealousy about Dublin's achievements are the least likely people to bring about change.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

blanch152 wrote: »
    I’d be a bit more cynical than you mo chara.

I’d say there might be some agreement in place whereby players can claim a certain mileage allowing for a minimum distance regardless of how they get there.

This is in no way aimed at Mayo by the way... and I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not.

My understanding is that they get the mileage regardless of how they travel. That was an agreement with Revenue.

It means that players from counties like Mayo make an awful lot of money for playing football, certainly compared to somewhere like Dublin.

And players from Dublin make an awful lot in appearance fees. Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And players from Dublin make an awful lot in appearance fees. Swings and roundabouts.

Because they're worth it.

Splitting Dublin would be the minority view and I wouldn't share it. Nor would I support amalgamations. Ending local rivalries would kill attendences as I suspect would a tier 2 competition.

You rescue gaelic football by fostering rivalries such as Dublon v Meath, Cork v Kerry, Mayo v Galway, Tyrone v Donegal and many others.

The more counties you have at a very high level the better.

In any case I don't believe gaelic football is salvagable. Attendences at games between historic rivals such as Cork and Kerry or Dublin and Meath have collapsed and are only going one way. People in Cork have lost interest in the football and even though on the field the signs are promising, its going to be difficult to build up support again.

The attendence at the Kerry v Tyrone game indicates a serious issue. The GAA can confront it or else talk about a tier 2 competition while everything collapses around them.

In any case we all know the GAA are hopelessly incompetent for numerous reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I love this thread. All the ****e in one place. Keep it going lads, it makes great reading.

Like with almost every debate there’s ****e on both sides.

Ya have lads saying Dublin footballers don’t work etc and then you have lads saying Dublin men’s footballers and women footballers enjoying their greatest decade in history, Dublin hurlers and hurling clubs at competitive levels unthinkable fifteen years ago, increased juvenile success, etc is coincidentally happening at the same time and a massive increase in funding fifteen to twenty years is not a substantial factor in such widespread success.

My understanding is that they get the mileage regardless of how they travel. That was an agreement with Revenue.

It means that players from counties like Mayo make an awful lot of money for playing football, certainly compared to somewhere like Dublin.

This document from Revenue would suggest that is inaccurate as expenses must ‘put the individual in position to attend’. If they are going by bus no expenses based on that.

https://learning.gaa.ie/sites/default/files/Revenue%20Guidelines.pdf

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Is that public or what you heard out of interest?

Can't be bothered digging it up but there were newspaper reports a few years ago around the deals done by Revenue and the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I love the idea of amalgamations

Killkerry vs Dublin
    Galcommon vs Dublin
    Wexterford vs Dublin
    Sliork vs Dublin

Can Dublin have an amalgamation too ?

Dubdare vs Xxxx

Have only come across Dublin players doing charity gigs for no appearance fees. You may be right but I haven't seen it.

• Advertisement

Can't be bothered digging it up but there were newspaper reports a few years ago around the deals done by Revenue and the GAA.

Fair enough, the link I posted above would suggest expenses couldn’t be claimed from bus travel, in which case Mayo lads would actually be giving up cash by traveling on bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Right and by 2010 I clearly meant the Leinster final, or did you forget about that one?

Care to remind us of the officiating that day?

It was absolutely shocking. Meath got rode by the referee all day before the ref somewhat evened it up by the end. But people conveniently ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

If Dublin were divided, it would have to happen gradually from underage. And even then I don't think it would be practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Brazil has multiples of the population of other soccer powers. Germany and Russia have multiples in UEFA.

You dont hear this kind of stuff from the other soccer nations. If Belgium, Croatia, Holland, England, Portugal, Uruguay, Chile or Argentina came out with this stuff theyd be a global laughing stock and rightly so.

Brazil Vs Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Brazil isn't getting a daft amount of funding from FIFA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Dublin, just got professional about it. Players are fighting for their place. Their second team would whack any county out of it. It's about time someone raised the bar. It's a good thing really because now every county can see what can be done with fitness and a good routine. Having a bigger pick of players and money dont come into it but sheer training and the ''want'' does. Stephen Cluxton teaches my son and he says he instills a great hunger for improvement without being a teacher (bollix). The leaving cert results he got from them all yesterday says it all. 65% A. I rest my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Dublin, just got professional about it. Players are fighting for their place. Their second team would whack any county out of it. It's about time someone raised the bar. It's a good thing really because now every county can see what can be done with fitness and a good routine. Having a bigger pick of players and money dont come into it but sheer training and the ''want'' does. Stephen Cluxton teaches my son and he says he instills a great hunger for improvement without being a teacher (bollix). The leaving cert results he got from them all yesterday says it all. 65% A. I rest my case.

Those silly teachers outside Dublin not relating well with their students. For shame!

It's be nice if other counties were financially supported in the same way Dublin are for game development.
    It might actually balance the huge population and facilities advantage that the capital already enjoys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Cork has a larger playing population than Dublin. Would you split them in 5 or 6?

Kilkenny and Kerry are far more successful. How many times should we split them?

As corrk has a larger playing Pop, and GAA has been ‘saved’ in Dublin surely they should now receive more money?

As should the remainder do the country to put the Game back on a level playing field

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

From working with lads that are involved with their own home teams outside I do know for a fact that the county boards let them down with structure and a dedicated plan to all stick to . As I have said in a previous post that lads around the country would have to give up extra time for travel to get to the clubs for training, matches etc. but all are working hard but pulling in different directions thinking that their way is the best , listen there are plenty of things I’m asked to do that I don’t necessarily agree with but I just roll with the instructions.
    Fair enough, I misinterpreted your post and thought you were saying that it was simply that Dubliners were volunteering in clubs more (which has been intimated by others).
    However, these structures and plans you speak would generally need funding in order to be put in place. They generally couldn't be done by volunteers.
    As has been already said, detailed, strategic plans not dissimilar from Dublins have been drawn up in other counties and funding has been requested only for these requests to be denied. The funding disparity is gradually being rectified but Dublin have had a 10 - 15 year head start on other counties. It also doesn't help that they've become almost totally self sufficient with sponsorship which in turn means they do not have to put any real effort into fundraising, unlike other counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ClanofLams wrote: »
    It’s not a national league to be fair. American sports might be a good comparison in that they are localised and mainly played in America although baseball and basketball in particular are popular in some other countries. They use a draft system and salary caps to try to keep leagues fair.
    I’m not advocating splitting Dublin but certainly the funding situation needs to addressed as a matter of priority. I’m not sure how the GAA are going to do that, it’s presumably difficult to reduce Dublin’s funding as it would probably involve redundancies etc. The alternative is to come up with x million to invest in other counties.

I don't think American sports are a good comparison, except perhaps in how their construct their fixtures.
    College level games focus on football 'rivalries', which allows teams to play their local \ historic rivals, and a selection of peer teams. The teams then advance to peer playoffs based on those results. It would be one way to get around the provinces.
    NFL divisional conferences similarly allow teams to play home and away against teams from their region, and a set number of matches against teams country wide. It could be a good model to retain some provincial element whilst also spreading games around.

The pro sports franchise system is a good model for trying to keep parity between the teams but it is a fully professional industry, and players can transfer between contracts, there is free agency. American football has a salary cap, but baseball does not. Basketball has a 'soft' cap which is more like UEFA financial fair play rules.
    I don't see how their model could work in the GAA as presently constructed, unless GAA went down a similar route the rugby unions took when professionalism came in.

I compared it with international football, as this is a sport played by territorial based teams; teams cannot simply go out and buy players from other countries, or lure them away with higher wages. Players are allocated not by draft but by birth \ residency. You have to work with the kids in your territory and can't simply go out and buy the best kids from elsewhere.

It does seem reasonable that all countries should get a certain amount of funding, but also from time to time that the GAA takes on initiatives to widen participation in specific regions.
    I don't think any Dublin fans would have an issue if the GAA said our focus is now moving to the Commuter Belt, or the Midwest, or the Border counties, or Munster cities given rugby's popularity there. But the funding re-allocation shouldn't go from 100% to 0%, maybe gradually wound down 8-15% per year.

There is also the question of whether funding should be per capita or per player. Probably the funding for encouraging participation in GAA should be per capita, and funding for coaching should be per player and it should be demarcated as such.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Stephen Cluxton teaches my son and he says he instills a great hunger for improvement without being a teacher (bollix). The leaving cert results he got from them all yesterday says it all. 65% A. I rest my case.

How the fûck does Stephen Cluxton manage that with with his full time GAA career ? he must be even more of a superhuman then many of us envisioned :eek:

Just goes to show you what can be achieved with focus, hard work and dedication to your trade...if Stephen was busy taking his eye off the ball, looking through the keyhole at his colleagues and wondering why Ms.
    Lynch ALWAYS has a cleaner blackboard, better behaved students, cleaner and nicer classroom etc... no he just gets on himself and achieves... 65%A. That’s some going, a great team effort by Stephen and all his students...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Surely he just had a once in a lifetime group of students come through?

So everyone in Dublin is a hard working self improvement guru .

Everyone outside of Dublin is a lazy good for nothing.

This is what I am reading on this thread.

And Dubs wonder why they have an image problem!

Dublin football is where it is because of the massive number of GDOs and massive funding it received from the GAA.

Its not even a doubt at this stage.

But so be it. The GAA have shot themselves in the foot with the funding they handed to Dublin along with the numerous other advantages. They have completely and probably for all time undermined confidence and credibility in the AI. 5 years from now, the competition will be treated for the joke it is and supporters will long have abandoned it. At that stage the GAA might wake up to what they did, but by that stage it will be far far too late to rescue the situation.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't think American sports are a good comparison, except perhaps in how their construct their fixtures.
    College level games focus on football 'rivalries', which allows teams to play their local \ historic rivals, and a selection of peer teams. The teams then advance to peer playoffs based on those results. It would be one way to get around the provinces.
    NFL divisional conferences similarly allow teams to play home and away against teams from their region, and a set number of matches against teams country wide. It could be a good model to retain some provincial element whilst also spreading games around.

The pro sports franchise system is a good model for trying to keep parity between the teams but it is a fully professional industry, and players can transfer between contracts, there is free agency. American football has a salary cap, but baseball does not. Basketball has a 'soft' cap which is more like UEFA financial fair play rules.
    I don't see how their model could work in the GAA as presently constructed, unless GAA went down a similar route the rugby unions took when professionalism came in.

I compared it with international football, as this is a sport played by territorial based teams; teams cannot simply go out and buy players from other countries, or lure them away with higher wages. Players are allocated not by draft but by birth \ residency. You have to work with the kids in your territory and can't simply go out and buy the best kids from elsewhere.

It does seem reasonable that all countries should get a certain amount of funding, but also from time to time that the GAA takes on initiatives to widen participation in specific regions.
    I don't think any Dublin fans would have an issue if the GAA said our focus is now moving to the Commuter Belt, or the Midwest, or the Border counties, or Munster cities given rugby's popularity there. But the funding re-allocation shouldn't go from 100% to 0%, maybe gradually wound down 8-15% per year.

There is also the question of whether funding should be per capita or per player. Probably the funding for encouraging participation in GAA should be per capita, and funding for coaching should be per player and it should be demarcated as such.

You need to be careful with the funding per player metric.

Many of the arguments put forward on these threads have used figures of funding per adult registered player for allocating game development funding for juveniles. This argument has been put forward to say Dublin has been over-funded. Reliable figures for the numbers of juveniles are not always available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Dublin football is where it is because of the massive number of GDOs and massive funding it received from the GAA.

But so be it. The GAA have shot themselves in the foot with the funding they handed to Dublin along with the numerous other advantages. They have completely and probably for all time undermined confidence and credibility in the AI. 5 years from now, the competition will be treated for the joke it is and supporters will long have abandoned it. At that stage the GAA might wake up to what they did, but by that stage it will be far far too late to rescue the situation.

It will never happen and is not viable but as an experiment I wonder if the exact same funding was sent to Mayo over the next 15 years what would happen, my guess is that they will not improve significantly

Nobody has said any of that on this thread.

Empty vessels have come along and said that Dublin players don't have full-time jobs. When this is refuted, you come along and say that the Dubs are saying that "everyone outside of Dublin is a lazy good for nothing".

You haven't a clue about the Dublin GAA set-up from what the players work at to the number of juveniles in clubs to the work that the GDOs do in schools that involves thousands of non-GAA members to the excellent management of Jim Gavin of the senior team etc. Yet you set yourself up here as some sort of expert commentator on the advantages Dublin have, banging the same old pot of bitterness and jealousy all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

So why bother vexing yourself arguing about it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I would like to remind posters that if they don't have anything vaguely constructive to add to the topic at hand, then do not post! You're more than welcome to agree/disagree with people's posts in a mature manner, but mocking people's posts while adding nothing yourself is basically thread spoiling. This is your only warning.

Also, making accusations against people/groups without proof is not acceptable and will be carded.

This is a contentious topic for those on both sides of the debate but I'd like it the debate to have some semblance of maturity.
    Please report posts you feel cross the line as this is a fast moving thread and mods cannot be expected to read every post. Do NOT mention on thread about reporting posts as this is backseat modding!

Nobody has said any of that on this thread.

Empty vessels have come along and said that Dublin players don't have full-time jobs. When this is refuted, you come along and say that the Dubs are saying that "everyone outside of Dublin is a lazy good for nothing".

You haven't a clue about the Dublin GAA set-up from what the players work at to the number of juveniles in clubs to the work that the GDOs do in schools that involves thousands of non-GAA members to the excellent management of Jim Gavin of the senior team etc. Yet you set yourself up here as some sort of expert commentator on the advantages Dublin have, banging the same old pot of bitterness and jealousy all the time.

Ah the old bitterness and jealousy ****e. Any time anyone talks about balancing the playing field they get this response.

The real bitterness I'm sensing is from Dubs when their "achievements" are questioned and how those achievements were attained.

So yeh lets drag this into the gutter with labeling each other bitter and jealous.

Many of the arguments put forward on these threads have used figures of funding per adult registered player for allocating game development funding for juveniles. This argument has been put forward to say Dublin has been over-funded. Reliable figures for the numbers of juveniles are not always available.

The number of kids in Dublin is relatively high. The number of adult registered players is relatively low compared to other counties.

The retention level after 15 years of huge games development funding is relatively poor in Dublin.

Why is this? You'd think Dublin after all the investment would be streets ahead of every other county with adult registered players.

And using the nonsense excuse that Dublin has to compete with other sports doesn't cut it. There are exactly the same sports in Galway, Limerick and Cork as Dublin.

Ah the old bitterness and jealousy ****e. Any time anyone talks about balancing the playing field they get this response.

The real bitterness I'm sensing is from Dubs when their "achievements" are questioned and how those achievements were attained.

So yeh lets drag this into the gutter with labeling each other bitter and jealous.

Tobefrank123´s even willingness to recognise that these group of players are some of the most talented to play the game proves he has a blindspot in this debate.

He has zero clue of what goes on internally in Dublin and yet proclaims himself to be an expert, it is laughable and frankly there is no point engaging with him as he blinded by his own hatred. I am sure every Dublin supporter would concede yes they have a hugh population and geographical advantage and that funding has increased the numbers participation hugely which inevitably benefits the teams at the very top but his unwillingness to even concede on some points shows he is not worthy of even debating on this topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Are you denying that you don’t hold even a tiny bit of bitterness on this topic? If you admitted your bias and that you hate Dublin (of all counties) being on the cusp of 5 in a row it may help your argument.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Are you denying that you don’t hold even a tiny bit of bitterness on this topic? If you admitted your bias and that you hate Dublin (of all counties) being on the cusp of 5 in a row it may help your argument.

The thread is about the Dominance of Dublin GAA.

There's clearly an issue there which everyone is talking about.

Turning it into a "you're bitter" response is just not engaging with the thread subject at all.

You can do better than that as can anyone who throws out the childish "you're just bitter" jibe.

There is clearly a competitiveness issue in gaelic football. That's not my subjective opinion. Dubs and the GAA can put fingers in ears and bury their heads in the sand all they like, but the issue will remain.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

It really wouldn’t help his argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dots1982 wrote: »
    It really wouldn’t help his argument.

He ignores every response to his crap and changes the subject. It's almost like he doesn't know what he's talking about and has a massive chip on his shoulder regarding Dublin.

And still I wait on responses from yesterday...

tick tock.

* checks post for mistyped words in case it offends FrankieBoy *

Good point. I think funding should be assessed per capita, per juvenile, per adult for different purposes.

He ignores every response to his crap and changes the subject. It's almost like he doesn't know what he's talking about and has a massive chip on his shoulder regarding Dublin.

tick tock.

Maybe he is really actually the guy on Twitter who´s name we should not mention :D

tick tock.

More immature jibes and insults. I gave you the benefit of the doubt a number of times but won't be any more.

Say hello to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

tick tock.

That’s it your on ignore now, making his world slightly more of an echo chamber.

It would really help Donald Trump’s arguments if he just came out and said he was racist.

I just don’t get the arguing with people with whom there isn’t any middle ground to be reached. Why waste the time.

We are in the endgame of the amateur inter county structure.

Without the funding Dublin were likely to dominate this decade. It’s just demographics mainly and a couple of other advantages and factors around economies of scale in the current quasi professional era.

The richest and most populated countries always win the most medals at the Olympics. This is the same except this is the USA competing in every Olympics in their own country against only countries with a tenth of their size in population

Dublin have a superb team that are breaking new ground in the bar of performance any team has ever reached before. Dubs should enjoy it but also show more humility.

• Advertisement

The number of kids in Dublin is relatively high. The number of adult registered players is relatively low compared to other counties.

The retention level after 15 years of huge games development funding is relatively poor in Dublin.

Why is this? You'd think Dublin after all the investment would be streets ahead of every other county with adult registered players.

And using the nonsense excuse that Dublin has to compete with other sports doesn't cut it. There are exactly the same sports in Galway, Limerick and Cork as Dublin.

The money was never about increasing the number of adult registered players.

The money was all about increasing juvenile participation with the twin aims of raising awareness of our national game and improving long-term health and fitness outcomes. It is succeeding very well in those objectives as seen by the huge number of kids in Dublin now playing the games. If you preferred, the government could have put money into promoting soccer and rugby in Dublin, but instead it chose our national games for this important initiative. This is not something to be taken lightly. For all your rage about money and Dublin, the real danger to gaelic games is that the government decide to put money into Niall Quinn's ideas for academies for young soccer players attached to LOI clubs. That would be catastrophic for the GAA. We have already seen the effect of the tax breaks for professional rugby players.

Going back to Dublin, the fact, which you so clearly acknowledge, that the investment in juvenile participation is not resulting in increased numbers of adult registered players only supports the argument that the money isn't aimed at the senior team and isn't the reason for the success of the Dublin team.

It is good that you are beginning to see that this isn't a simple case of money = success.

The money was never about increasing the number of adult registered players.

The money was all about increasing juvenile participation with the twin aims of raising awareness of our national game and improving long-term health and fitness outcomes. It is succeeding very well in those objectives as seen by the huge number of kids in Dublin now playing the games. If you preferred, the government could have put money into promoting soccer and rugby in Dublin, but instead it chose our national games for this important initiative. This is not something to be taken lightly. For all your rage about money and Dublin, the real danger to gaelic games is that the government decide to put money into Niall Quinn's ideas for academies for young soccer players attached to LOI clubs. That would be catastrophic for the GAA. We have already seen the effect of the tax breaks for professional rugby players.

Going back to Dublin, the fact, which you so clearly acknowledge, that the investment in juvenile participation is not resulting in increased numbers of adult registered players only supports the argument that the money isn't aimed at the senior team and isn't the reason for the success of the Dublin team.

It is good that you are beginning to see that this isn't a simple case of money = success.

A bit busy with work so will respond in detail later. in summary, of course senior players and u20 players are benefitting from GDOs and do so throughout their entire career.

Clubs in Dublin are run on a professional basis at this stage, with the help of the paid GDOs.

Clubs in rural areas do not have these financial resources and are run on an amateur basis.

More immature jibes and insults. I gave you the benefit of the doubt a number of times but won't be any more.

Say hello to ignore.

Dammit. How ever will we get through to you now?

salmocab wrote: »
    That’s it your on ignore now, making his world slightly more of an echo chamber.

I can't decide just yet if this is a success or failure on my part.

I do enjoy that he got so wound up and resorted to that. That's him and Gachla taken out by their own bias and bullshít.

I guess my work here is done.

A bit busy with work so will respond in detail later. in summary, of course senior players and u20 players are benefitting from GDOs and do so throughout their entire career.

Clubs in Dublin are run on a professional basis at this stage, with the help of the paid GDOs.

Clubs in rural areas do not have these financial resources and are run on an amateur basis.

Given the amazing amount of posts this guy has put out there on this subject this is as ludicrous as they come.

Blanch, godspeed to you!

I'm out!

Again with your vast knowledge of Dublin GAA could you please give examples of how clubs are run on such a professional level?

Humble????

Humble????

Are you for real?

Dublin have crazy and mad advantages over every other county.

Inherent advantages in terms of population and facilities as it is the capital city.

then to add petrol to the fire HUGE financial advantages

Yet He personally and the Dublin set up revel in it.

What’s humble about that?

The rest of the country is jumping up and down screaming for the inequality to be addressed and we supposed to respect a supposedly humble and polite man?

Get real. Again, you and your like are fooling nobody.

I mean, that's practically transparent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Have only come across Dublin players doing charity gigs for no appearance fees. You may be right but I haven't seen it.

Jim Gavin takes no money in mileage or expenses either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

This post from me was (rightly) moved from the GAA changes thread, so I am reposting it here.

Full disclosure: I am a Dub.

First of all people talk about the GAA as if senior intercounty football is the be all and end all. It is not, it's about minor B football championship club games and Saturday morning nursery for U6 and a multitude of blitzes and tournaments organised at underage level.

The primary objective of funding is to improve participation and quality at all levels. The senior intercounty team is just the tip of the arrow.

There are hundreds of thousands of kids in Dublin, so I think it is appropriate that a lot of the funding goes there.

Next thing on the Dubs. For me, the main reason they're so dominant is playing population. Croke Park home games, good coaching, golden generation, etc. are all factors but they pale into insignificance against the sheer weight of numbers at Dublin. I coach at U12 and U10 level in Dublin, and looking at all the top U12 teams in Division 1, they're all clubs with big numbers. I think this holds true generally.

The game is remarkably healthy. On Sunday I will be up in Armagh at an U12 blitz with almost 500 kids from 28 clubs from 9 counties in attendance. Next month I will be at a similar event for U10 in Westmeath. These things are absolutely brilliant and are important for the mental and physical health of our country. Not just the GAA, but the IRFU, FAI and other bodies are really important in getting kids off the couch and onto a pitch. So let's not forget all this positivity when we talk of the doom and gloom on Dublin winning lots of All Irelands.

And what about changes to intercounty? When the GAA was established, Dublin was not the most populated county (it was Cork). Now it is over twice the size of the next most populated county (Antrim). In my opinion, intercounty football won't be competitive with the existing structure. Personally I think we need to either amalgamate counties, split Dublin or a combination of both. But I hate both solutions. I kind of think it is unsolvable while Dubiln has such an advantage in playing numbers.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    We are in the endgame of the amateur inter county structure.
    Without the funding Dublin were likely to dominate this decade. It’s just demographics mainly and a couple of other advantages and factors around economies of scale in the current quasi professional era.
    The richest and most populated countries always win the most medals at the Olympics. This is the same except this is the USA competing in every Olympics in their own country against only countries with a tenth of their size in population
    Dublin have a superb team that are breaking new ground in the bar of performance any team has ever reached before. Dubs should enjoy it but also show more humility.

You might be right about the endgame... but Dublin doesn't compete against only counties with a tenth of their population; and on the figures of registered players it's a lot closer.

Plus, even in 1996 the USA topped the medal table but only won 44/271 gold medals and 61 silvers. So they were beaten as many times as they won.

Dublin's population is increasing, but look at West Germany versus United Germany performance at sports. Population increased by 25%. Number of gold medals at summer Olympics is about the same, win a soccer world cup once every 20 years. I think Dublin at 1 million or Dublin at 1.5 million is secondary to how many are actually playing, and I think above a certain point there's diminishing returns to population numbers versus on field. You could field a strong second and third teams, but it's crowded out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

kilns wrote: »
    Again with your vast knowledge of Dublin GAA could you please give examples of how clubs are run on such a professional level?

I think in his terms 'professional' means run properly?
    Code for 'run well' = professional
    As opposed to the 'd'unbelievable' stereotypical rural county/club boards where it is based on nepotism, and who you know.
    Not the level of expertise of an individual.
    It is no wonder that many other counties have regressed - but of course that question is never asked.

How did Meath f**k up so badly they won Sam in 99 and only now after over a decade they are back in division 1.
    Who is to blame for that dramatic fall?

Galway the same Corofin flying internal politics mean that they are not integrated into the County set up.
    Who is to blame for that Dublin?

Tyrone - Micky Harte cannot think of any way to play except one way - other teams are passing them by - no variation in thier play - McShane is thier outball - that is it.
    Is that Dublin's fault as well?

Cork - had a fantastic team in 2010 - internal politics and made a balls of it - they should have dominated the decade.
    They had giants of men all over the panel and let the whole thing collapse - unbelievable, really.
    The biggest f**k up of them all.
    What happened?
    Dublin's fault?
    Now Cork are only to start to fix from a really low base again - so it looks more impressive

None of this is spoken about at all it is like the brightest kid in the class has to read at remedial level, to let the other kids catch up?
    That seems to be what some people want to do - destroy Dublin.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-football-stars-commanding-hefty-fees-for-promotional-appearances-38193584.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement