Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

Enquiring wrote: »
    Dublin GAA now spend nearly 4 million per year on player development. It's inevitable that success will continue across the board with that level of finance.

Think you have mentioned this already :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

ArielAtom wrote: »
    A simple fact you don't seem to comprehend is the funding in the Dublin only project which I am not saying didn't happen was for games development, that was based on the school going children numbers, not the registered GAA players. Dublin GAA did not get 17m to develop their senior football team contrary to some people misguided comprehension of what the funding was for. The development was for both codes, I was involved in running an academy in my club for a number of years and both codes were dealt with. We initially made a mistake in running them one after another on a Saturday morning, some kids opted out of hurling, mainly due to not liking being hit with a hurl, we changed format and incorporated both codes into one session and increased playing numbers. But lets stop with the bull that 17m was spent on a senior football team. That is a lie.

Dublin got far more than 17 million and as stated by the Dublin GAA strategic program manager, the coaches paid for by the money work under the direction of the clubs they are assigned to. So this involves coaching in primary and secondary schools and then their main roll is improving standards within the club they're hired by.

Within clubs in Dublin, there are under 30,000 kids aged between 8 and 18. These are the main targets of the funding. Long term Dublin GAA employees have noted the incredible transformation in standards of development squads between before the Dublin only coaching scheme was introduced and now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

A generation of young Dublin players have had the benefit of targeted funding and professional coaching for the guts of 20 years, those players are now in their 20's and should be in their prime, the cream of the crop. They were thought the same game as every other child in the country involved in gaa, only to a professional standard. The least you would expect is an all Ireland final, not losing to laois.

Think you have mentioned this already :rolleyes:

Dublin have been competing on an unequal footing for nearly 20 years now and the gap is growing!! The resources available are outrageous. What other counties spend 4 million per year in total? Dublin spend close to 10 million on wages and development alone. It just can't continue if we want fair and open competitions. Obviously, those opposed to that effort will have no issue with the level of resources Dublin have available.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm going to lock this for a few hours and go back through the posts - number of posts are starting to cross the line targeting individuals rather than the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

All this rubbish on here about true supporters of the game etc, what nonsense. Call a spade a spade as some of this is typical Irish begrudgery - Dublin are successful so lets knock them off their pedestal - lets cut their funding, lets split them in half etc etc. I'm getting to the point as a poster on here (without my mod hat on) that for three or four years the same stuff is posted by people behind a screen. My question is besides moaning about it on here, what are you actually doing? The structures of the GAA are there to be used for change, have any of you submitted motions to your clubs? Your clubs submit that motion to your county and up the chain?

That really isnt the case. Kerry dominated the game from an equal footing and nobody was calling for them to be split. If what you say is true then that wouldnt be the case. If the dublin province - as it is now considered as regards funding - was split up into counties, and one of them dominated, id say fair play to them, the same way I say fair play to kerry now. I dont begrudge dublin anything, because for what has been pumped into it, they have a poor return truth be told. If they want genuine recognition, then they need to do what kerry or kilkenny did and win it from an equal footing. That is just common sense surely?

I cant fathom these dublin apologists, harping on about being jealous and the like. How anyone could look at the facts and not see an issue is hard to get your head around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

That really isnt the case. Kerry dominated the game from an equal footing and nobody was calling for them to be split. If what you say is true then that wouldnt be the case. If the dublin province - as it is now considered as regards funding - was split up into counties, and one of them dominated, id say fair play to them, the same way I say fair play to kerry now. I dont begrudge dublin anything, because for what has been pumped into it, they have a poor return truth be told. If they want genuine recognition, then they need to do what kerry or kilkenny did and win it from an equal footing. That is just common sense surely?

I cant fathom these dublin apologists, harping on about being jealous and the like. How anyone could look at the facts and not see an issue is hard to get your head around.

Well done, you pretty much proved Rebel Girls post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

But it really is the case. Everything gets reduced to dublin win because of money.
    No acknowledgement that for example dublin have problems other counties don’t have to worry about- posters shouting about how much dublin spent on the spawell but no realisation that that patch of land costs many multiples of what it would elsewhere, or that in general dublin don’t have access to pitches at the extent of most counties.
    Spouting on about Croke park but no acknowledgement that the other Leinster counties have been voting for the dublin footballers to play there for financial reasons and that’s probably prevented any meaningful development of Parnell park.
    Spouting on about numbers of GDOs but no acknowledgment that the clubs have scrimped and paid for half of them or that they have to work with many multiples of the number of kids across schools and clubs than is the case in other counties. No acknowledgement of the difference of numbers of kids theses GDOs have to reach. To some posters dublin should be penalised for having people living there.
    Some posters presenting loose financial facts like the allocation per county on GD while forgetting about literally million of euros of GAA gd spend. Trawling every county officials statements to find a sentence somewhere to justify their bile.
    Your own county has also spent millions on their senior team. There is no argument by any stretch of the imagination that they’re not getting the best of sport science. Physically they’ve trained like any top athletes, Jesus there are Olympic level athletes doing less. We’re so far past diminishing returns that it’s not even funny. And they’ve come close on many occasions, and believe me as someone who watches dublin through the 90s I know how much that can hurt. But that’s sport, dublin have been there too.
    Yet it all about dublins money to a small pool of posters here

tritium wrote: »
    But it really is the case. Everything gets reduced to dublin win because of money.

But when the fingerprints of the unfair distribution of money is so clear on dublins run of success, how would it not be in people's thinking? Why would people laud all this credit on them in that scenario? What credit do they actually deserve? They arent competing against rivals of equal means as themselves, what credit do they warrant for that? Well done on beating up weaklings?

If leinster rugby were parachuted into the club rugby game, would you give them credit for beating the other teams? I wouldnt. Id ask why cant they go and beat teams that are comparable to themselves. You would it seems?

Re spawell, dublin can sell land for equally inflated figures, one cancels out the other. Wages are higher in dublin also.

Re scrimping to pay gdos, if you think that is what they did then you have no knowledge of what it is like in clubs outside dublin. The system was set up to make the rich richer. Dublin clubs have the population, therefore they have the resources. For you to see dublin clubs as some kind of martyr in this system only highlights what you dont know about the gaa in the rest of the country.

My own county has large fixed costs around travel that yours doesnt have. However my county raise the money themselves, no handouts, no taxpayers wages, no population advantages, so really and truely, you are not in a position to be asking questions about how thry spend it.

Maybe a start would be to cease viewing dublin as a victim would be your first port of call. They are anything but

Some amount of whatabboutery.
    As was pointed out with the soccer analogy a few pages back, Leinster rugby is a professional setup.
    Terrible comparison.

• Advertisement

But when the fingerprints of the unfair distribution of money is so clear on dublins run of success, how would it not be in people's thinking? Why would people laud all this credit on them in that scenario? What credit do they actually deserve? They arent competing against rivals of equal means as themselves, what credit do they warrant for that? Well done on beating up weaklings?

If leinster rugby were parachuted into the club rugby game, would you give them credit for beating the other teams? I wouldnt. Id ask why cant they go and beat teams that are comparable to themselves. You would it seems?

We go back to this again so. How many of the top counties have ever competed with rivals “of equal means as themselves” ? Your own county Mayo have a far higher inter county spend than many Connacht or indeed non Connacht counties so I presume you don’t feel they deserve any credit for their achievements either?

ooter wrote: »

I think that’s a Tim o’Leary run event. By any other name it’s corporate donations but if you give them a plate of chicken and some dancing it gets passed off as fundraising. Maybe we should get dublin to play Molly Malone and buy a few spice bags when an AIG executive comes into town

Re spawell, dublin can sell land for equally inflated figures, one cancels out the other. Wages are higher in dublin also.

Re scrimping to pay gdos, if you think that is what they did then you have no knowledge of what it is like in clubs outside dublin. The system was set up to make the rich richer. Dublin clubs have the population, therefore they have the resources. For you to see dublin clubs as some kind of martyr in this system only highlights what you dont know about the gaa in the rest of the country.

My own county has large fixed costs around travel that yours doesnt have. However my county raise the money themselves, no handouts, no taxpayers wages, no population advantages, so really and truely, you are not in a position to be asking questions about how thry spend it.

Maybe a start would be to cease viewing dublin as a victim would be your first port of call. They are anything but

There does appear to be a major victim complex amongst some Dublin supporters that is really hard to fathom. As we all know, the GAA set up a task force to draw up a strategic plan for the development of Gaelic Games in Dublin, they received millions more to develop players than everyone else, their senior footballers have been allowed the use of a 300 million euro stadium for a high percentage of their matches this century, their senior hurlers were offered the same. After all of this, there are some that claim that they've been mistreated and deserve more!

The thing is, it's not all of Dublin's supporters. There are some who recognise that they've received far more than everyone else and they acknowledge how unfair it has been. These people are more open to the split been put into effect. Again, the split isn't an attack on Dublin, it's been framed like that by some. It's a necessity for the health of Gaelic Games. That's for the country as a whole but also for GAA in our capital. One of the key ingredients of the Strategic Development Committee's proposals was the spread of Gaelic Games to other areas of Dublin.

How many new clubs have been established since 2002? We have seen the development of super clubs with huge numbers of players but smaller clubs have been neglected. Having 4 county boards targetted with developing Gaelic Games in their region instead of 1 overseeing everything can only be beneficial. They can look at establishing new clubs, at developing those who've been left behind and importantly, be able to tackle areas with social issues and get them involved in sport. It can only be a good thing for people and Gaelic Games in Dublin and promoting these benefits is what needs to be looked at. Instead of it being painted as a negative, let's get the positives pushed forward and we will have more buy in from within Dublin also.

There does appear to be a major victim complex amongst some Dublin supporters that is really hard to fathom. As we all know, the GAA set up a task force to draw up a strategic plan for the development of Gaelic Games in Dublin, they received millions more to develop players than everyone else, their senior footballers have been allowed the use of a 300 million euro stadium for a high percentage of their matches this century, their senior hurlers were offered the same. After all of this, there are some that claim that they've been mistreated and deserve more!

The thing is, it's not all of Dublin's supporters. There are some who recognise that they've received far more than everyone else and they acknowledge how unfair it has been. These people are more open to the split been put into effect. Again, the split isn't an attack on Dublin, it's been framed like that by some. It's a necessity for the health of Gaelic Games. That's for the country as a whole but also for GAA in our capital. One of the key ingredients of the Strategic Development Committee's proposals was the spread of Gaelic Games to other areas of Dublin.

How many new clubs have been established since 2002? We have seen the development of super clubs with huge numbers of players but smaller clubs have been neglected. Having 4 county boards targetted with developing Gaelic Games in their region instead of 1 overseeing everything can only be beneficial. They can look at establishing new clubs, at developing those who've been left behind and importantly, be able to tackle areas with social issues and get them involved in sport. It can only be a good thing for people and Gaelic Games in Dublin and promoting these benefits is what needs to be looked at. Instead of it being painted as a negative, let's get the positives pushed forward and we will have more buy in from within Dublin also.

Again you speak of a split , a split is not necessary and in my opinion will not happen for a very long time if ever , there will never be a buy in from Dublin
    Dublin has one senior football team , and thats the way it should stay.

Again you speak of a split , a split is not necessary and in my opinion will not happen for a very long time if ever , there will never be a buy in from Dublin

It's all about opinions but a buy in from everyone in Dublin is not necessary in my own opinion. The benefits of the split of Dublin will be presented as will alternatives. People are then free to make up their minds. It's clear that the hunger for change is growing around the country. What that change will entail is unclear as yet but it's important to highlight all the relevant facts and not have them silenced.

Some amount of whatabboutery.
    As was pointed out with the soccer analogy a few pages back, Leinster rugby is a professional setup.
    Terrible comparison.

Dublin gaa is a professional setup also. Dublin clubs are employing people full time, never mind dublin gaa.

What was that about whataboutery?

However, as ive said all along, once counties are starting from a similar point, fundraising is fine by me. If people want to pay 10k fine. If they dont, fine. Did the taxpayers get that choice? Did the gaa members get that choice? Afraid not.

Agreed. A certain ex dublin manager being one of them. However, I dont give them a pass. They need to speak up and stop letting others speak for them, otherwise they are just as bad as far as im concerned. This is doing irreparable damage to the sporting name of their county. They are letting it happen

• Advertisement

A buy in from dublin is no more a required than a buy in from every gaa member to fund dublin to the level they were. If one can happen then so can the other. You are foolijg yourself if you think one county can hold the rest of the gaa country to ransom. If the gaa decides that dublin splits, they either split or they dont play

Dublin gaa is a professional setup also. Dublin clubs are employing people full time, never mind dublin gaa.

Well if employing people full time is the definition of professional setup it's more than just Dublin that are professional in the GAA.
    I would've thought paying players made it a professional setup but I could be wrong, amateur players equals amateur sport.

Is the iaba a professional setup?
    http://iaba.ie/high-performance/

Oh dear, where to start. It’s for dublin to decide the organisational structure that’s most beneficial for dublin and almost invariably the signs from the capital are that current form rather than some diluted silliness is the preferred option. For that reason alone there’ll be no split anytime soon

Other teams are of course just as welcome as dublin to use Croke park. Its the national stadium after all and dublin GAA don’t oversee it. If they want to vote dublin out of there so be it, if they want to vote themselves to play there every match I don’t think it’ll bother dublin either way. Either way it’s not a dublin decision anyway.

I’m sure you’ll give us evidence of the neglect of smaller clubs. Regardless, larger clubs are what happens when you have a higher population density. Nothing in split or not split will make a bit of difference to that, there’ll still be the same catchment for those clubs and there stil won’t be enough available pitches to split them into smaller entities.

From what I see in my own area the clubs in dublin are doing just fine in terms of doing their part to tackle social issues. Would be nice if the available land didn’t keep getting sold off for apartments or cpo’d for infrastructure projects (something many counties don’t have to worry about), but that’s not sometihing the GAA in dublins have huge say in

Let's not forget that it's not just the development scheme planned and funded for Dublin that's the issue here. It's the results of that plan. The impact on the field of course but off it especially. Look at the finance at play within Dublin GAA, here are some snippets from their 2016 financial accounts:

Dublin-County-Board-Accounts-2016.jpg

And things have moved on from then! As you can see, sponsorship totalled 1.1 million in 2015, it went up to 1.5 million in 2016, last year it amounted to 2.3 million. The total spend on games development has also increased, John Costello stated that 3.8 million was spent in this area in 2019. Obviously, we don't have access to the recent Dublin county board accounts but I think it'd be fair to assume that spending has gone up across the board. How can we continue with one county operating with these resources and expect to have reputable competitions?

Oh dear, where to start. It’s for dublin to decide the organisational structure that’s most beneficial for dublin and almost invariably the signs from the capital are that current form rather than some diluted silliness is the preferred option. For that reason alone there’ll be no split anytime soon

I'm afraid, with the finances outlined in my post above, it's gone far past leaving this up to Dublin GAA. It's a national issue and splitting Dublin along with providing every county with fair funding is a necessity for the future health of Gaelic Games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'm afraid, with the finances outlined in my post above, it's gone far past leaving this up to Dublin GAA. It's a national issue and splitting Dublin along with providing every county with fair funding is a necessity for the future health of Gaelic Games.

A national issue. So it's now up there with Covid. Homeless, Drug Addiction, the Economy to name but a few.

As you've now deemed it a national issue perhaps you might tell us what you are are doing to effect change besides posting on Boards.ie

ShyMets wrote: »
    A national issue. So it's now up there with Covid. Homeless, Drug Addiction, the Economy to name but a few.

As you've now deemed it a national issue perhaps you might tell us what you are are doing to effect change besides posting on Boards.ie

You can see the finance Dublin are operating with here, other counties have minuscule amounts in comparison. Many have to put major effort into fundraising just to scrape by. Yet, Dublin compete in the same competitions as all the others. How has this been allowed to happen? How can continuing with this imbalance be justified?

You can see the finance Dublin are operating with here, other counties have minuscule amounts in comparison. Many have to put major effort into fundraising just to scrape by. Yet, Dublin compete in the same competitions as all the others. How has this been allowed to happen? How can continuing with this imbalance be justified?

Thanks. But you didn't answer my question

Let's not forget that it's not just the development scheme planned and funded for Dublin that's the issue here. It's the results of that plan. The impact on the field of course but off it especially. Look at the finance at play within Dublin GAA, here are some snippets from their 2016 financial accounts:

Dublin-County-Board-Accounts-2016.jpg

And things have moved on from then! As you can see, sponsorship totalled 1.1 million in 2015, it went up to 1.5 million in 2016, last year it amounted to 2.3 million. The total spend on games development has also increased, John Costello stated that 3.8 million was spent in this area in 2019. Obviously, we don't have access to the recent Dublin county board accounts but I think it'd be fair to assume that spending has gone up across the board. How can we continue with one county operating with these resources and expect to have reputable competitions?

I see an income of €4.25 million for 2016. I have no way of judging if that’s good or bad in the scheme of things since there’s no context to place it in

For example, based on a quick google, if you told us the Kerry county committee reported an income of €6.14 million for 2019 I might have context

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30968139.html%3ftype=amp

Or if you told us Mayo GAA had a €3.59 million income in 2019 I’d have some point of context:
    https://www.mayonews.ie/sports/36251-mayo-gaa-shows-216k-surplus

Neither figure implies the rest of the GAA is in poverty, though Id fully accept, as over a century of history shows us, it’s not level financially for all counties

As it is it’s just a number stuck in there to try to appal people by virtue of being large

I see an income of €4.25 million for 2016. I have no way of judging if that’s good or bad in the scheme of things since there’s no context to place it in

For example, based on a quick google, if you told us the Kerry county committee reported an income of €6.14 million for 2019 I might have context

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30968139.html%3ftype=amp

Or if you told us Mayo GAA had a €3.59 million income in 2019 I’d have some point of context:
    https://www.mayonews.ie/sports/36251-mayo-gaa-shows-216k-surplus

Neither figure implies the rest of the GAA is in poverty, though Id fully accept, as over a century of history shows us, it’s not level financially for all counties

As it is it’s just a number stuck in there to try to appal people by virtue of being large

I'm not sure why but you've left out the Games development section on the Dublin GAA accounts. It's under the Strategic Review Committee heading. Do you want to write off the 2.7 million there? Also, you've decided to compare it with 2 of the counties with the highest level of fundraising in the country, not sure why you didn't choose other counties for a comparison?

But as we have the accounts to do a direct comparison, we can choose Mayo and Dublin's from 2016. The total income for Dublin is 7,022,308, the total income for Mayo is 3,076,988, which included over 800,000 in fundraising activities. We can assume both have increased their income since then but that's a massive gap and Mayo would be up there with the highest levels of income in the GAA.

Here are the accounts:

http://archive.stsylvesters.ie/t2/news/reports-for-dublin-county-convention

http://sportlomo-userupload.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded/galleries/21_uploaded/e72a9d45499535c4e5e22e637a12d314e9330af0.pdf

So the question remains, how can we allow a county with the level of resources available to Dublin compete against counties with far less?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The split will never happen, not matter how many some internet posts hope for it. It really is that simple.

It's all about opinions but a buy in from everyone in Dublin is not necessary in my own opinion. The benefits of the split of Dublin will be presented as will alternatives. People are then free to make up their minds. It's clear that the hunger for change is growing around the country. What that change will entail is unclear as yet but it's important to highlight all the relevant facts and not have them silenced.

Indeed change is required and is coming , and the facts have been highlighted over and over again on this thread, in my opinion Dublin don't need to split and will not be split any time soon, but yea it's all about opinions , bring it on and let's see what happens

ArielAtom wrote: »
    The split will never happen, not matter how many some internet posts hope for it. It really is that simple.

Do you have the answer? How can we have fair competitions with the finances Dublin have at their disposal? We know that sponsorship has increased by 800,000 to 2.3 million since the 2016 accounts were released, we know that Games Development spending has increased to 3.8million since then. This is a crazy level of resources, how high do they have to get before you see a problem?

Indeed change is required and is coming , and the facts have been highlighted over and over again on this thread, in my opinion Dublin don't need to split and will not be split any time soon, but yea it's all about opinions , bring it on and let's see what happens

I don't see any other option looking at the facts; splitting Dublin is the only way forward in my opinion.

A buy in from dublin is no more a required than a buy in from every gaa member to fund dublin to the level they were. If one can happen then so can the other. You are foolijg yourself if you think one county can hold the rest of the gaa country to ransom. If the gaa decides that dublin splits, they either split or they dont play
    Dublin holding the rest of the gaa to ransom ? Jesus wept
    If the gaa decides Dublin splits!! The key word here is IF !! Not gonna happen , your only fooling yourself lad .

ShyMets wrote: »
    Thanks. But you didn't answer my question

I notice you haven't responded to my straight forward question

I'm not sure why but you've left out the Games development section on the Dublin GAA accounts. It's under the Strategic Review Committee heading. Do you want to write off the 2.7 million there? Also, you've decided to compare it with 2 of the counties with the highest level of fundraising in the country, not sure why you didn't choose other counties for a comparison?

But as we have the accounts to do a direct comparison, we can choose Mayo and Dublin's from 2016. The total income for Dublin is 7,022,308, the total income for Mayo is 3,076,988, which included over 800,000 in fundraising activities. We can assume both have increased their income since then but that's a massive gap and Mayo would be up there with the highest levels of income in the GAA.

Here are the accounts:

http://archive.stsylvesters.ie/t2/news/reports-for-dublin-county-convention

http://sportlomo-userupload.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded/galleries/21_uploaded/e72a9d45499535c4e5e22e637a12d314e9330af0.pdf

So the question remains, how can allow a county with the level of resources available to Dublin compete against counties with far less?

How can you say I have left anything out when you provided the figures? Baffling

Equally baffling why you want to focus on old figures. After googling Kerry and Mayo I just googled dublin 2019 figures

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-gaas-annual-commercial-income-breaks-through-the-2m-barrier-38779148.html

The problem is it doesn’t really support your notion of a huge juggernaut with vastly greater revenues than everyone else. In fact the income reported is between the other two.

Now you might well come back and say there’s something you think should also be in there. But to be honest, especially with the funding to dublin being progressively cut, it’s still really not going to support your arguments. It wouldn’t be a surprise for dublin to be able to deliver better than others on the commercials, for reasons rebel girl already outlined coupled with their current level of success, but the difference in income is actually surprisingly small, and certainly far far too small to in any way be the basis of a split dublin argument

Or to put it another way, if a county with dublins resources shouldn’t be competing with counties with “far less” then several other counties are a problem also

How can you say I have left anything out when you provided the figures? Baffling

Equally baffling why you want to focus on old figures. After googling Kerry and Mayo I just googled dublin 2019 figures

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-gaas-annual-commercial-income-breaks-through-the-2m-barrier-38779148.html

The problem is it doesn’t really support your notion of a huge juggernaut with vastly greater revenues than everyone else. In fact the income reported is between the other two.

Now you might well come back and say there’s something you think should also be in there. But to be honest, especially with the funding to dublin being progressively cut, it’s still really not going to support your arguments. It wouldn’t be a surprise for dublin to be able to deliver better than others on the commercials, for reasons rebel girl already outlined coupled with their current level of success, but the difference in income is actually surprisingly small, and certainly far far too small to in any way be the basis of a split dublin argument

Or to put it another way, if a county with dublins resources shouldn’t be competing with counties with “far less” then several other counties are a problem also

You omitted the 2.7 million under the Strategic Review Committee section, did you look at the full account I linked for you? Are you trying to fiddle the numbers again?

I'm not trying to focus on old numbers, we have access to the full accounts for both Mayo and Dublin for 2016. That's a fair comparison. Dublin are miles out in front. The evidence is right there. How is a gap of 4 million to a county with one of the biggest income levels surprisingly small? It's huge! Dublin are 5 and 6 million ahead of other counties and that's comparing up to date figures with Dublin's in 2016. We know Dublin's income and expenditure has increased since then, 3.8 million spent on Games Development in 2019 for example.

This really puts the nail in the coffin for those defending the financial disparity. The millions pumped into Dublin GAA has left them with a huge level of resources. The only option is to split Dublin and the resources are there for 4 counties to thrive!

The split will never happen.

You omitted the 2.7 million under the Strategic Review Committee section, did you look at the full account I linked for you? Are you trying to fiddle the numbers again?

I'm not trying to focus on old numbers, we have access to the full accounts for both Mayo and Dublin for 2016. That's a fair comparison. Dublin are miles out in front. The evidence is right there. How is a gap of 4 million to a county with one of the biggest income levels surprisingly small? It's huge! Dublin are 5 and 6 million ahead of other counties and that's comparing up to date figures with Dublin's in 2016. We know Dublin's income and expenditure has increased since then, 3.8 million spent on Games Development in 2019 for example.

This really puts the nail in the coffin for those defending the financial disparity. The millions pumped into Dublin GAA has left them with a huge level of resources. The only option is to split Dublin and the resources are there for 4 counties to thrive!

You know you really need to learn when your arguments dusted and buried. If you really are trying to argue that counties that have between 3.5 and 6+ million in income aren’t getting a fair shake you need to step back and think about things a bit. It actually sounds comical. I mean, stating the obvious here but, how big a gap is acceptable? Because the relative gap from say dublin to Mayo or Kerry is smaller than the gap from say Mayo to Sligo (2019 income of 1.17 million) or Kerry to Waterford (1.9million income in 2019).

• Advertisement

I don't see any other option looking at the facts; splitting Dublin is the only way forward in my opinion.
    That's no problem and your entitled to your point of view , however , it's my humble opinion that the split doesn't need to happen any time soon if ever

You know you really need to learn when your arguments dusted and buried. If you really are trying to argue that counties that have between 3.5 and 6+ million in income aren’t getting a fair shake you need to step back and think about things a bit. It actually sounds comical. I mean, stating the obvious here but, how big a gap is acceptable? Because the relative gap from say dublin to Mayo or Kerry is smaller than the gap from say Mayo to Sligo (2019 income of 1.17 million) or Kerry to Waterford (1.9million income in 2019).

Ignoring the Strategic Review Committee section won't make it go away. The article you linked noted expenditure of 4.27 million for Dublin in 2019. You know how much Dublin spent on Games Development alone in 2019 don't you? Do you want to do the maths on that?

Dublin GAA had income of 4 million more than Mayo in 2016. They have income of 5 and 6 million over most other counties like Sligo and Waterford. That is an incredible amount of resources and it has gone up since then. I fail to see how you could make a statement saying this gap is surprisingly small. It's actually a shockingly big gap.

Dublin GAA are entering teams into competitions with not only having the advantage of having their own multi million euro development plan devised and funded for them since 2002, but they also have income and expenditure levels dwarfing other counties to the tune of millions. It's extraordinary. I think this puts the success of the Dublin men's and women's footballers and all other areas of Dublin GAA into context. How could they not win bucket loads of titles? Actually, to not have won more is quite embarrassing when you look at the facts.

That's no problem and your entitled to your point of view , however , it's my humble opinion that the split doesn't need to happen any time soon if ever

Well, the level of resources on top of the Dublin only scheme for 2 decades makes the split inevitable I'm afraid. This is an amateur sport, counties entering with professional structures can not be allowed.

As I’ve said the split will never happen. Pipe dream by a few internet posters, oh and John Connellan, who was incapable of getting his proposal to congress, not really surprising based on his prep for his debate with the Leinster Chairman.

Enquiring. I'll ask one final time. You've stated that this is a national issue. I asked twice what you were personally doing to effect change beyond posting on Boards.

I await your response. Or perhaps I shouldn't hold my breath

Well, the level of resources on top of the Dublin only scheme for 2 decades makes the split inevitable I'm afraid. This is an amateur sport, counties entering with professional structures can not be allowed.
    Don't be afraid , your entitled to your opinion , I understand your position on a split , however it's not gonna happen anytime soon if ever .

Don't be afraid , your entitled to your opinion , I understand your position on a split , however it's not gonna happen anytime soon if ever .

Momentum for the split is growing. I'm well aware that those who defend the funding disparity will not want a split. Getting the facts out and showing the level of resources available to Dublin will only increase the appetite for change. The more publicity the better.

Momentum for the split is growing. I'm well aware that those who defend the funding disparity will not want a split. Getting the facts out and showing the level of resources available to Dublin will only increase the appetite for change. The more publicity the better.

Perhaps you might tell us what your doing to increase publicity beside posting on Boards ie

Happy days bring it on , let's vote on this and see where this brings us .

• Advertisement

Dublin holding the rest of the gaa to ransom ? Jesus wept
    If the gaa decides Dublin splits!! The key word here is IF !! Not gonna happen , your only fooling yourself lad .

I disagree. It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself here. The split is a very real possibility. It was mooted by the gaa already, we both know this. Your mantra of 'it will never happen' sounds more like a guy with his fingers in his ears and eyes closed, chanting over and over again, to hide from reality. The odds of it coming to pass are actually quite high

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement