Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

ArielAtom wrote: »
    As I’ve said the split will never happen. Pipe dream by a few internet posters, oh and John Connellan, who was incapable of getting his proposal to congress, not really surprising based on his prep for his debate with the Leinster Chairman.

And if you were following that, rather than just taking from it what you wanted to hear, you would know that the chairman was since proven to be not telling the truth in a lot of what he was saying...

ShyMets wrote: »
    Enquiring. I'll ask one final time. You've stated that this is a national issue. I asked twice what you were personally doing to effect change beyond posting on Boards.

I await your response. Or perhaps I shouldn't hold my breath

It is a national issue. The future direction of the gaa across the country is very much intertwined with how this plays out. There is a reason why this topic was arising on basically every thread on boards - it affects every facet of the gaa.

As for enquiring personally going out and doing something, the same can be asked of anyone in this discussion, I dont get what point you think that makes. Cant you go out and do things to forward your views also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

And if you were following that, rather than just taking from it what you wanted to hear, you would know that the chairman was since proven to be not telling the truth in a lot of what he was saying...

Connellan was schooled, went in ill prepared and was shown up, hence his reticence to bring his motion to congress this year, despite all his guff on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

It is a national issue. The future direction of the gaa across the country is very much intertwined with how this plays out. There is a reason why this topic was arising on basically every thread on boards - it affects every facet of the gaa.

As for enquiring personally going out and doing something, the same can be asked of anyone in this discussion, I dont get what point you think that makes. Cant you go out and do things to forward your views also?

In my opinion it's not a national issue. Covid, homeless, drug addiction are national issues.

This is a GAA issue. Enquiring seems very passionate about the issue. I asked what else they were doing because solely posting on Boards won't make a blind bit of difference to future changes in the GAA.

I've been doing nothing forward my views because I don't feel that strongly about it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

I disagree. It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself here. The split is a very real possibility. It was mooted by the gaa already, we both know this. Your mantra of 'it will never happen' sounds more like a guy with his fingers in his ears and eyes closed, chanting over and over again, to hide from reality. The odds of it coming to pass are actually quite high

HMMM and it sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that a split is on the cards , again you are entitled to your opinion , nothing will be sorted on Boards.ie thankfully, in my opinion the split is a long way from happening if ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

How in gods name is it a national issue? The government should be getting involved if that’s the case, far more important things to worry about than one county being successful

EICVD wrote: »
    How in gods name is it a national issue? The government should be getting involved if that’s the case, far more important things to worry about than one county being successful

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

EICVD wrote: »

I think the poster meant it is a national issue for the GAA.

Garzorico wrote: »

i think we all understand what the poster meant , i think you dont understand the reponse;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TheDalioLama

Garzorico wrote: »

Exactly

It's a national issue in terms of the GAA is what was said.

Nobodies comparing it to Covid & Homelesness.

The disprortionate funding argument is an open and shut case at this point. The Leinster chairman is on record acknowledging it's impact on the competition.

I don't know what the solution is, but something radical will need to be done outside of the what is being proposed, or Gaelic football will end up being a cautionary tale for other sporting bodies.

• Advertisement

Exactly

Two posters mentioned it as a National Issue. One of the posters I believe meant it in the above context.

Other I suspect was just being a tad hyperbolic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Exactly

Nobodies comparing it to Covid & Homelesness.

The disprortionate funding argument is an open and shut case at this point. The Leinster chairman is on record acknowledging it's impact on the competition.

I don't know what the solution is, but something radical will need to be done outside of the what is being proposed, or Gaelic football will end up being a cautionary tale for other sporting bodies.

You're better off ignoring the deflection.

You're right in saying something radical needs to be done and I think appetite for it is growing. Many are still unaware of just how much funding was pumped into Dublin, the huge effect it had across the board in terms of standards and then the resulting increase in income off the field.

The more this can be publicised, the more the movement for change will gather pace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Enquiring. I'll ask one final time. You've stated that this is a national issue. I asked twice what you were personally doing to effect change beyond posting on Boards.

I await your response. Or perhaps I shouldn't hold my breath

I don't think you'll get an answer to this. At least other people who hold a similar opinion are actually doing something about it, besides posting on a discussion forum, though judging by below, not well!
    Connellan was schooled, went in ill prepared and was shown up, hence his reticence to bring his motion to congress this year, despite all his guff on Twitter.

When was this? The last thing you want to do when you are trying to get an issue off the ground is to go in ill prepared. You need to know the rulebook and the issue inside out, or you will be shown up. Having been in provincial council meetings and Central Council, if you aren't 100% prepared, you will be found out, unforgivingly. Same when writing appeals, you have to drill into the nitty gritty or they will be chucked out - I'm on 100% success rate so far for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

In my opinion it's not a national issue. Covid, homeless, drug addiction are national issues.

This is a GAA issue. Enquiring seems very passionate about the issue. I asked what else they were doing because solely posting on Boards won't make a blind bit of difference to future changes in the GAA.

I've been doing nothing forward my views because I don't feel that strongly about it

It is a national issue because it is going to affect the sport across the entire country. Covid, homelessness etc are more serious issues, but nobody said they werent. The reality is this will affect the game across the entire country, hence it is a national issue.

Enquiring is entitled to make his points, the same as you are. This auld spiel of 'well what have you done about it' is a load of disingenuous bs, and generally, the guy making that point is struggling in the argument. That is the reality here, people dont have an answer for him so they go off with petty stuff like that. If the split hinged on this debate, dublin would be split long ago.

I don't think you'll get an answer to this. At least other people who hold a similar opinion are actually doing something about it, besides posting on a discussion forum, though judging by below, not well!

When was this? The last thing you want to do when you are trying to get an issue off the ground is to go in ill prepared. You need to know the rulebook and the issue inside out, or you will be shown up. Having been in provincial council meetings and Central Council, if you aren't 100% prepared, you will be found out, unforgivingly. Same when writing appeals, you have to drill into the nitty gritty or they will be chucked out - I'm on 100% success rate so far for that reason.

This was when the Leinster council chairman admitted to the financial disparity and agreed that it has decimated the championship.

I will save you the hassle. He wasnt unprepared. He noted that some of the stats being put to him were not released prior to the debate and stated he therefore couldnt really make arguments against them. Quite an honest approach to be fair. He subsequently found that a lot of them werent actually accurate at all.

Now an objective and reasonable person would very quickly wonder, regardless of your views on this topic, why the gaa would go and do that, and what that says about their honesty on the topic, and by extension, in general.

It is a national issue because it is going to affect the sport across the entire country. Covid, homelessness etc are more serious issues, but nobody said they werent. The reality is this will affect the game across the entire country, hence it is a national issue.

Enquiring is entitled to make his points, the same as you are. This auld spiel of 'well what have you done about it' is a load of disingenuous bs, and generally, the guy making that point is struggling in the argument. That is the reality here, people dont have an answer for him so they go off with petty stuff like that. If the split hinged on this debate, dublin would be split long ago.

Its not a national issue. Its an issue for the GAA to resolve. The Government will not be intervening as they have far more pressing matters at hand.

When someone states this is a national issue then its a perfectly legitimate question to ask what are they doing to bring about change besides posting on Boards. It's also perfectly legitimate for the individual not to answer.

But by not answering that leads to certain assumptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Enquiring wrote: »
    This was when the Leinster council chairman admitted to the financial disparity and agreed that it has decimated the championship.

The same time poor John got schooled. His first reply to Pat Teahans very first statement.

"John Connellan: Well that’s the first I have heard of those figures"

Poor John was so far out of his depth, he could have found Fungie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I will save you the hassle. He wasnt unprepared. He noted that some of the stats being put to him were not released prior to the debate and stated he therefore couldnt really make arguments against them. Quite an honest approach to be fair. He subsequently found that a lot of them werent actually accurate at all.

Now an objective and reasonable person would very quickly wonder, regardless of your views on this topic, why the gaa would go and do that, and what that says about their honesty on the topic, and by extension, in general.

I heard him on the GAA hour this week saying that. It seems a bit underhanded to present previously unpublished information in a situation like that, especially if that information wasn't accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

You're better off ignoring the deflection.

You're right in saying something radical needs to be done and I think appetite for it is growing. Many are still unaware of just how much funding was pumped into Dublin, the huge effect it had across the board in terms of standards and then the resulting increase in income off the field.

The more this can be publicised, the more the movement for change will gather pace.

Based on this thread I really doubt you’re going to get people on the streets for this pet project. You’re numbers have repeatedly been shown to be at best a loose interpretation of the facts, omitting or exaggerating key numbers such as number of coaches or gd spend to drive your argument. The vast level of income available to other counties has been highlighted. The vast additional (non county) spend by the GAA that you omitted has been highlighted. The expansion of the dublin project to rest of Leinster and redistribution of funding across many other counties has been highlighted. The huge numbers and huge increase in numbers of gd resources across rest of Leinster has been highlighted. The contribution of the dublin clubs, which effectively halved the cost of the GAA involvement has been highlighted, as have the unique issues that dublins face. The timings that could not be attributed to the funding have been highlighted as have the inconvenient lack of success in some key areas that don’t tally with the argument.

At this stage it’s actually predictable based on posting over the years in other threads who is left most vigorously banging the split dublin drum, and that group won’t be happy with dublin getting anything ever nor will they ever see any of the problems dublin did and do face. Basically they have no idea of the dublin situation and no interest either.

While most dublin posters have been happy enough to contemplate that the GAA may have made errors through the process in terms of when the expanded the scheme, realistically it was never likely to get it 100% right: a new scheme, trying to address historic problems of wastage and misallocation in gd spend and put better structures in place would always need tuning. A generation growing up between 2003 and 2017 were guinea pigs for this and thankfully for the GAA it went well. Did it make Ciaran Kilkenny or Brian Fenton into the best footballers of their generation, maybe it helped, or maybe it helped offset other disadvantages. Though I think if you asked them they’d tell you most of their early coaching and encouragement was from dedicated parents on a Saturday morning. I’d say they saw even less of the gdo than my kids do given how early in that project that was. But who knows, maybe the time and YouTube videos the gdo made available to the parents helped them coach better, maybe the buzz of their classmates being interested too because someone was visiting the school to show them the skills, maybe that all helped. As I suspect did being around players like the brogans and Cluxton, players who were never in the group of kids that the gd funded looked to nurture. At this stage of their careers though the coaching they get is fairly similar I’d say to what any top player is getting, certainly in the top tier of counties.

The thing is, when they eventually retire with a glut of medals in their pockets they won’t actually care about the bile from a small group of internet posters. Neither will the record books. Nor will the host of great past players who see the skill and commitment they bring- because I’ll guarantee you that the Jack o’Sheas and Pat Spillanes of this world, the guys who’ve actually walked the walk, look at this group of players and know they’ve earned everything they’ve won, fair and square.

dobman88 wrote: »
    The same time poor John got schooled. His first reply to Pat Teahans very first statement.

That is because they werent released before that.

They werent accurate either...

If the Leinster council chairman had to admit to the effect the funding has had, someone who goes out of his way to defend it, you'd have to take his word for it?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I heard him on the GAA hour this week saying that. It seems a bit underhanded to present previously unpublished information in a situation like that, especially if that information wasn't accurate.

Agreed. I was surprised by that, it is actually hard to fathom that a governing body would do it. If the FA did that they would get in seriously hot water, they are misrepresenting how funds are spent.

John should have requested the figures if he was really investigating the issue. The fact that Teahan agreed to hand them over to him for a proper look shows he would have been successful in requesting them. Very poor by John tbf.

If the Leinster council chairman had to admit to the effect the funding has had, someone who goes out of his way to defend it, you'd have to take his word for it?

Of course. He's the one person who would know. I'd take his word over what you're saying here every day of the week.

Its not a national issue. Its an issue for the GAA to resolve. The Government will not be intervening as they have far more pressing matters at hand.

When someone states this is a national issue then its a perfectly legitimate question to ask what are they doing to bring about change besides posting on Boards. It's also perfectly legitimate for the individual not to answer.

But by not answering that leads to certain assumptions

An issue for the gaa - at a national level. Nobody mentioned government intervention, except yourself.
    However, it should be pointed out that the government did intervene in the past. Bertie ahern intervened to help create the dublin province we now have.

tritium wrote: »
    Based on this thread I really doubt you’re going to get people on the streets for this pet project. You’re numbers have repeatedly been shown to be at best a loose interpretation of the facts, omitting or exaggerating key numbers such as number of coaches or gd spend to drive your argument. The vast level of income available to other counties has been highlighted. The vast additional (non county) spend by the GAA that you omitted has been highlighted. The expansion of the dublin project to rest of Leinster and redistribution of funding across many other counties has been highlighted. The huge numbers and huge increase in numbers of gd resources across rest of Leinster has been highlighted. The contribution of the dublin clubs, which effectively halved the cost of the GAA involvement has been highlighted, as have the unique issues that dublins face. The timings that could not be attributed to the funding have been highlighted as have the inconvenient lack of success in some key areas that don’t tally with the argument.

On the contrary, I have provided official accounts to back up the figures I produced. These show that Dublin have received millions more in games development funding over the past 2 decades and now have a yearly income of 5 or 6 million more than most counties. Furiously googling other counties reports and trying to fiddle the numbers is not going to have an impact on these facts. And these facts back up why Dublin should be split.

Of course. He's the one person who would know. I'd take his word over what you're saying here every day of the week.

So you agree that the championship has been decimated due to the over funding of Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Chatting to my son about it the other day, we had a great idea.

A condition is put in that where the Dubs win the regular all Ireland, they then - to reflect the inherent advantage of size - have to play a super all-ireland final where they play an all-star team made of the best players of all the other counties.

If they beat that team then there truly can be no argument.

And if they lose, then the winner is marked as AllStars rather than any one county.

It would be some craic.

And it would give an opportunity to the likes of an Eamonn O'Hara or Matty Forde to win an all ireland that might normally have no chance.

John should have requested the figures if he was really investigating the issue. The fact that Teahan agreed to hand them over to him for a proper look shows he would have been successful in requesting them. Very poor by John tbf.

But the figures werent accurate. It seems they deliberately cooked up different figures specifically for the discussion, for the sole purpose of stifling it.
    If you go into a court case and make up a cock and bull story involving figments of your imagination, the court is adjourned until said figments can be investigated further. I dont see how he could have been better prepared for that, short of reading the guys mind...

So you agree that the championship has been decimated due to the over funding of Dublin?

"The Championship". Lol.

The Leinster championship, yes. Same as Teahan admitted to. Also, that imbalance is being addressed by funding Meath and Kildare now. Maybe a couple of others I'm not aware of.

Do you always have to try and twist everything to suit your narrative, it really dents whatever little credibility you had.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Chatting to my son about it the other day, we had a great idea.

A condition is put in that where the Dubs win the regular all Ireland, they then - to reflect the inherent advantage of size - have to play a super all-ireland final where they play an all-star team made of the best players of all the other counties.

If they beat that team then there truly can be no argument.

And if they lose, then the winner is marked as AllStars rather than any one county.

It would be some craic.

And it would give an opportunity to the likes of an Eamonn O'Hara or Matty Forde to win an all ireland that might normally have no chance.

Or just play it without them, and then let the dublin province play in the railway cup...

Connellan went into an online debate a few weeks back with the Leinster Chairman, in the course of it, he stated he did not know that a number of times, he was ill prepared and didn't have the required data to enable a meaningful conversation.

"The Championship". Lol.

The Leinster championship, yes. Same as Teahan admitted to. Also, that imbalance is being addressed by funding Meath and Kildare now. Maybe a couple of others I'm not aware of.

Do you always have to try and twist everything to suit your narrative, it really dents whatever little credibility you had.

Trying to make this point, after claiming that the 'imbalance is being addressed' , undermines you completely.

• Advertisement

Connellan went into an online debate a few weeks back with the Leinster Chairman, in the course of it, he stated he did not know that a number of times, he was ill prepared and didn't have the required data to enable a meaningful conversation.

* previously unreleased, and inaccurate data.

In truth, the manner of their response shows that he has them quite rattled. Id imagine it will only serve to encourage him further, and rightly so.

Trying to make this point, after claiming that the 'imbalance is being addressed' , undermines you completely.

Is it not being addressed?

I dont care what undermines me at all. It's a discussion on a random internet forum. It's not exactly to be taken seriously. You seem way too invested in this.

* previously unreleased, and inaccurate data.

In truth, the manner of their response shows that he has them quite rattled. Id imagine it will only serve to encourage him further, and rightly so.

As has been pointed out, preparation is essential if you are going to debate. John did little or no preparation and thought he could blag his way through it. He got schooled. That is a fact. PPPPPP.

"The Championship". Lol.

Did you read the article? That's what he agreed with, he didn't specify.

You can't balance up 2 decades of funding imbalance. A 2 decade head start is massive. Dublin have an annual income of 5 million more than other Leinster counties.

As has been pointed out, preparation is essential if you are going to debate. John did little or no preparation and thought he could blag his way through it. He got schooled. That is a fact. PPPPPP.

In fairness, you're a poster who claimed the funding disparity only lasted from 2007-2017 and it was just for primary school children. When the facts were presented you had to drop that line.

• Advertisement

Did you read the article? That's what he agreed with, he didn't specify.

Its the leinster council chairman talking to a player from a leinster county about the leinster championship.

If you want to be pedantic about it, he didnt specifically say that it has decimated the competition. He said yes, there was no argument. The funding has been disproportionate.

See how you can say things to suit a narrative.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

1. Provincial council officers would have access to real time financial info for year, GAA members would not

2. Evidence for their accuracy?

Is it not being addressed?

I dont care what undermines me at all. It's a discussion on a random internet forum. It's not exactly to be taken seriously. You seem way too invested in this.

No they arent being addressed. The gaa may be throwing a few sheckles at them to save face after the damage is done, but any reasonable bit of analysis will tell you that it is just window dressing.

Its the leinster council chairman talking to a player from a leinster county about the leinster championship.

If you want to be pedantic about it, he didnt specifically say that it has decimated the competition. He said yes, there was no argument. The funding has been disproportionate.

See how you can say things to suit a narrative.

It could have been just the Leinster championship, it could have been the football championship as a whole. Not sure but either way, he acknowledges the impact of the funding which is something that not many defenders of the disparity have done.

It could have been just the Leinster championship, it could have been the football championship as a whole. Not sure but either way, he acknowledges the impact of the funding which is something that not many defenders of the disparity have done.

He does. Nice to see you row back on your assertion. It shows me you may be able to be reasoned with which is quite surprising so fair play.

No they arent being addressed. The gaa may be throwing a few sheckles at them to save face after the damage is done, but any reasonable bit of analysis will tell you that it is just window dressing.

What's the East Leinster project for then?

No it isnt a fact. It is complete finction truth be told. You got the name right, that is about it.
    As for preperation, how do you prepare for a figment of someone elses imagination? Regardless of your views of this topic, no gaa official should be doing that, it reflects very badly on the association as far as im concerned

What's the East Leinster project for then?

A bit of window dressing that will change nothing.
    Any analysis of the differences in scale at play will tell you that.

bit of window dressing that eill change nothing.
    Any analysis of the differences in scale at play will tell you that.

Of course it's not. It has only started and will take time for any noticeable difference to appear. So it is being addressed.

He does. Nice to see you row back on your assertion. It shows me you may be able to be reasoned with which is quite surprising so fair play.

I didn't row back so take back that reasoned claim. :D He said the championship so he could have meant either but it's a step in the right direction in any case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement