Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The GDOs do a lot of work in schools. The aim is to get more kids playing GAA.
    Dublin is the place with the most kids not playing GAA (or sports), which is why it was targeted by the GAA and Sport Ireland for games development.

The Dublin clubs fund half the cost of a GDO. I am sure that makes it appealing for GAA and Sport Ireland, and is one of the reasons why Dublin has so many more GDOs.

SO registered players are not the full equation, and really should never be the basis for games development, in fact it would be contradictory to do so.

I don't think funding should be based solely on population (actually number of school kids would be a better measure, or number of schools running GAA sessions), or solely on registered players.

this is what happens to all counties who are availing of a club based GDO, its not specific to Dublin. It also should be pointed out that many of these that started in Dublin did so on 100% funding from the GAA. I understand why, pilot development program to see how it works and then split 50-50, but just another point to it. And again, I also understand some clubs have employed further GDOs at solely their own cost too with no funding, which is an enviable position to be in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The GDOs do a lot of work in schools. The aim is to get more kids playing GAA.
    Dublin is the place with the most kids not playing GAA (or sports), which is why it was targeted by the GAA and Sport Ireland for games development.

The Dublin clubs fund half the cost of a GDO. I am sure that makes it appealing for GAA and Sport Ireland, and is one of the reasons why Dublin has so many more GDOs.

SO registered players are not the full equation, and really should never be the basis for games development, in fact it would be contradictory to do so.

I don't think funding should be based solely on population (actually number of school kids would be a better measure, or number of schools running GAA sessions), or solely on registered players.

We've been through this. They get kids to join clubs in which case they become registered players, covered by the registered player measurement. Or the kids who don't join clubs in which case they are wasting their time.

We know in Dublin by and large foreign kids don't join GAA clubs with the odd exception.

You could go into a school with 100 foreign kids and you might be lucky to get 10 who pay the registration fee and join a GAA club. I can't think of one foreign born player on any Dublin IC team at any level or gender. They just aren't playing the sport in serious numbers and they sure as hell aren't playing in the park.

The GDO per capita doesn't hold water. If it did, then the UK would have thousands of GAA GDOs!

bruschi wrote: »
    this is what happens to all counties who are availing of a club based GDO, its not specific to Dublin. It also should be pointed out that many of these that started in Dublin did so on 100% funding from the GAA. I understand why, pilot development program to see how it works and then split 50-50, but just another point to it. And again, I also understand some clubs have employed further GDOs at solely their own cost too with no funding, which is an enviable position to be in.

A distinct advantage for rich urban clubs in densely populated areas and completely denied to rural clubs struggling to make ends meet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

A distinct advantage for rich urban clubs in densely populated areas and completely denied to rural clubs struggling to make ends meet.

Somewhat agree and disagree. Yes, massive advantage to the large super club. They take in huge income and have the facilities and capabilities to have their own full time employee.

But at the same time, if a rural club is so small, then do they have the same requirement and demand for a full time coach? There are other needs that a rural club need rather than funds for a full time coach. those in the East Leinster project have ability to split and share access to coaches, to either half or a third allocation which suits rural areas better. But again, only if already in the system.

There are issues with small rural clubs that the GAA are seemingly happy to ignore in their pursuit of increasing numbers in densely populated areas and I think there is a massive amount more that they can do to help redress this. Having big population doesnt guarantee success, much like at county level. Its how you use that to your advantage is what makes it key. Some clubs do it wisely, others dont (hello Parnells).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The unfortunate thing for the rest of Leinster was the timing of Bertie being in power at a time when Dublin were going through a lull. He couldn't bear to see the likes of Westmeath, Laois and Kildare regularly beat Dublin.

Again that is being disingenuous at that time Soccer was flying in Ireland (national team) and Rugby was a coming force with it's professionalism.
    There was a real fear that the GAA could lose Dublin to these other sports.
    If the GAA lost Dublin that is 20% of the population gone and that would have been the GAA fúcked. That is the truth of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Westmeath/Longford/Louth/Laois have gone backwards too, significantly so. Kildare also in recent years. Meath have just about maintained the same level which is lower division 1/upper division 2. The league is probably the best measure of the standard of counties.

Ah hang on Westmeath got to two Leinster finals back to back (15 and 16) many years after the Paidi inspired win in 04.

Also Laois were only fasley strong under the 'Micko effect' - but even so Laois got to a Leinster final in 18

Longford recently beat Meath in the championship a few years ago.
    Five of those Longford lads were on the Mullinalaghta side that beat Kilmacud Crokes last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Given that GDO's are assigned to clubs it should be by registered players.

It should not be per capita, because the non national population of Dublin is massive and its already been established they don't play GAA.

So per registered player would be the fairest. And then extra funding to weaker counties.

I'm enjoying the way Dubs portray Dublin as a weaker county in the past by the way. You guys make me laugh if nothing else.

But isn’t your complaint that gdos aren’t assigned to clubs outside dublin?

Shouldn’t we be looking to bring the full population of the country into Gaelic games, including the next generation of new Irish?

The non national population of dublin (and ireland) btw is in real terms tiny:a bit over half a million, about 11.5 percent. Less than 200k of that live in dublin so a little higher but not dramatically so than the ratio for Irish. About three quarters are in 10 or so counties. That includes Irish American and Irish UK who may already have significant cultural integration.

So (I) you’re wrong that this group is massive and (ii) you want to exclude them in a manner that prevents the game developing and expanding in favour of keeping it within its existing status quo

To be honest what you propose appears quite discriminatory and a bit offensive

Ah hang on Westmeath got to two Leinster finals back to back (15 and 16) many years after the Paidi inspired win in 04.

Also Laois were only fasley strong under the 'Micko effect' - but even so Laois got to a Leinster final in 18

Longford recently beat Meath in the championship a few years ago.
    Five of those Longford lads were on the Mullinalaghta side that beat Kilmacud Crokes last year!

Getting to a Leinster final is hardly a great achievement these days. Most of those counties you mention are division 2 and division 3. Was Westmeath not in division 4 when they reached one of those Leinster finals?

We've been through this. They get kids to join clubs in which case they become registered players, covered by the registered player measurement. Or the kids who don't join clubs in which case they are wasting their time.

We know in Dublin by and large foreign kids don't join GAA clubs with the odd exception.

You could go into a school with 100 foreign kids and you might be lucky to get 10 who pay the registration fee and join a GAA club. I can't think of one foreign born player on any Dublin IC team at any level or gender. They just aren't playing the sport in serious numbers and they sure as hell aren't playing in the park.

The GDO per capita doesn't hold water. If it did, then the UK would have thousands of GAA GDOs!

Yet I could point to several in my sons nursery group

Which perhaps goes back to how quickly you see the effects of such initiatives

• Advertisement

Again that is being disingenuous at that time Soccer was flying in Ireland (national team) and Rugby was a coming force with it's professionalism.
    There was a real fear that the GAA could lose Dublin to these other sports.
    If the GAA lost Dublin that is 20% of the population gone and that would have been the GAA fúcked. That is the truth of it.

And no fear in Limerick or Cork or other areas where Rugby is just as strong?

Come off it. This argument has been roundly defeated.

What's the next excuse why Dublin received excessive funds over and above what they deserved?

Getting to a Leinster final is hardly a great achievement these days. Most of those counties you mention are division 2 and division 3. Was Westmeath not in division 4 when they reached one of those Leinster finals?

Which is the point I am making! What happened Kildare and Meath in comparison?
    Westmeath a Division 4 team could reach a final?

Which is the point I am making! What happened Kildare and Meath in comparison?
    Westmeath a Division 4 team could reach a final?

What happened is everyone in Leinster apart from Dublin went backwards. Not surprising as they were deprived of serious funds for the last two decades.

A large part of the pot for GDF was ring fenced for Dublin. That's money that should have been shared out more equitably.

Two point plan from the GAA.
    1. Give Dublin more funds
    2. Give everyone else less funds

Not surprising Dublin surges ahead.

And no fear in Limerick or Cork or other areas where Rugby is just as strong, particularly when Munster were dominating?

Come off it. This argument has been roundly defeated.

How has it being defeated?
    Hurling is always number 1 for Cork.
    Limerick used to dip thier toe in a variety of codes at a reasonable level now they Now they just focus on hurling for the most part.

Maybe you are not from Dublin and do not understand the battle Dublin face compared to other counties to keep the GAA going.
    It is not like rural ireland where there is the club, pub, shop.
    Perhaps that dynamic is lost on you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What happened is everyone in Leinster apart from Dublin went backwards. Not surprising as they were deprived of serious funds for the last two decades.

They went backwards relative to everyone. Not just Dublin.
    They had already started going backwards before any funding to Dublin kicked in.

They went backwards relative to regions and counties which received the same amount of GDO money as they did.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So now your tactic is to just avoid my point - about how the other counties besides Dublin have caught up and in some cases passed by Meath/Kildare.
    Instead you just just pose another question about Dublin!
    It does not seem very frank at all.
    You yourself pointed out that Westmeath were in div 4 in one of the leinster finals. :confused:
    What happened the prosperous counties of Kildare and Meath with much larger populations and infrastructure than all others except Dublin?
    Where was thier run in qualifiers?

• Advertisement

They had already started going backwards before any funding to Dublin kicked in.

As I have already said, the whole of Leinster apart from Dublin went backwards. Dublin jumped miles ahead of everyone in the country.

Its not hard to see what happened here. Dublin received money that should have been spread out better in Leinster.

I'm not sure I can explain it better.

The rest of Leinster are not playing on a level playing field when it comes to GDF as Dublin.

So now your tactic is to just avoid my point - about how the other counties besides Dublin have caught up and in some cases passed by Meath/Kildare.
    Instead you just just pose another question about Dublin!
    It does not seem very frank at all.
    You yourself pointed out that Westmeath were in div 4 in one of the leinster finals. :confused:
    What happened the prosperous counties of Kildare and Meath with much larger populations and infrastructure than all others except Dublin?
    Where was thier run in qualifiers?

I have answered your point numerous times already.

Dublin received exceptional funding, far in excess of every other Leinster county who were deprived of funds. No surprise whatsoever they would go backwards.

As I have already said, the whole of Leinster apart from Dublin went backwards. Dublin jumped miles ahead of everyone in the country.
    Its not hard to see what happened here. Dublin received money that should have been spread out better in Leinster.

If money explains it, why did Leinster counties go backwards relative to other counties and provinces who received the same - or less - funding than they did, over the period?
    So nothing has been explained.

Why did no Leinster team win an All Ireland or even a National League between 2000 and 2010?

They went backwards relative to regions and counties which received the same amount of GDO money as they did.

A series of drubbings at the hands of Dublin tends to be very demotivating for all concerned in counties in the rest of Leinster - coaches and players. Many take the view why bother with gaelic football and go into other sports.

Not that the GAA give a damn or fear for player loss in these counties. No wringing of hands there, only when the fear is in Dublin.

Its all a question of resources at the end of the day. Dublin are a superpower when it comes to resources and funding.

As for the rest falling back, Leinster is mostly a weak province in any case.

A series of drubbings at the hands of Dublin tends to be very demotivating for all concerned in counties in the rest of Leinster - coaches and players. Many take the view why bother with gaelic football and go into other sports.
    Not that the GAA give a damn or fear for player loss in these counties. No wringing of hands there, only when the fear is in Dublin.

Except, the decline in Leinster at All Ireland level had already started before Dublin started drubbing them. At least with Dublin, Leinster has one team capable of winning national titles. The rest had their chance 2000 - 2010 and failed.

• Advertisement

The rest of Leinster are not playing on a level playing field when it comes to GDF as Dublin.

No what you are doing is confusing cause and effect when it suits you - if you look at the level of development grants v ELO rating (excluding Dublin) many more unsuccessful counties get more than the successful counties.

VsjSLBM.png

Look at the amount Fermanagh get compared to Kerry.
    Or Longford v Mayo.

As for the rest falling back, Leinster is mostly a weak province in any case.

From 1970 - 2000 Offaly and Meath picked up 7 All Irelands and 4-5 National Leagues. The real mystery is what happened the rest of Leinster since 2000 and Dublin's funding doesn't explain it because the decline happened before that could have delivered results at senior level.

If money explains it, why did Leinster counties go backwards relative to other counties and provinces who received the same - or less - funding than they did, over the period?
    So nothing has been explained.

Why did no Leinster team win an All Ireland or even a National League between 2000 and 2010?

Very very simple.

1. The other Leinster counties are unable to match the sponsorship revenue of the likes of Dublin, Kerry, Cork and one or two others.

2. The other Leinster counties received much less GDF than Dublin. I don't have the figures in comparison to the rest of the country, but I would be interested to see how they compare.

3. Several beatings by Dublin is demotivating for players, coaches and fans in the long run. Youngsters will simply opt to play other sports in attempts to win something.

4. Apart from 3 or 4 counties, Leinster was always fair weak compared to other provinces. Apart from Offaly in 1981 and 82, and Kildare in 98, only Meath and Dublin have competed in AI finals in the last 40 years. Its always been Meath or Dublin who competed nationally for most of GAA history with a very odd exception.

So Leinster hasn't really fallen away that much. Meath have fallen away and Dublin have surged ahead. Apart from that, its about the same as it always was. The rest of the country in addition has pushed on with people like Harte and McGuiness bringing far more professionalism but at great financial cost that the like of Carlow, Laois, Westmeath, Longford can't match.

V
    So Leinster hasn't really fallen away that much. Meath have fallen away and Dublin have surged ahead

That seems like an "ah but, yeah but, post" - the standard either did fall away or it didn't!
    Plus Kildare and Meath are commuter counties no excuses on facilities many working/living in Dublin etc

Only Dublin, Cork and Derry received more funding than Meath, Offaly and Laois.
    Since 2000, Meath got more funding and has more people than Mayo, Donegal, Armagh, Tyrone.
    Have they been as good, as any of them since 2000 at national level? All of the above teams have national titles.
    They are not just being outclassed by Kerry, Dublin and Cork.

If Leinster teams are being battered by Dublin, why are they being battered by Dublin to the extent that it demoralises them into quitting the game when none of Mayo, Donegal, Armagh, Tyrone etc react that way?
    Even if Dublin are on another level to them, there is not just one competition i.e the Leinster football championship.
    There is the league, back door route to All Ireland series and Super 8.

There is probably a mid rank of teams who would have hopes for a provincial title in a lucky year but not at All Ireland e.g. Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, Tipperary at football, some of the Ulster teams.
    Dublin's pre-dominance in Leinster could be a blocker to equivalent teams in Leinster.
    But that's just the game.

The argument you are trying to make for Leinster is not supported by the results relative to other counties & provinces, by the levels of funding, or by the levels of population.

That seems like an "ah but, yeah but, post" - the standard either did fall away or it didn't!
    Plus Kildare and Meath are commuter counties no excuses on facilities many working/living in Dublin etc

Again I don't have the records to hand, but Dublin and Meath would likely be streets ahead with Leinster championships, similar to Kerry and Cork in Munster.

Once both Meath and Cork fall away, the other superpower in the province tends to have a free run at it. It was the same in Connacht with Galway falling backwards and Mayo dominating. Its not like for example Offaly and Kildare have been consistently competing for Leinster championships the last 100 years. They haven't.

Not sure what commuter counties has got to do with anything?

Again the mistake made by the GAA was to target Dublin with funds more than they deserved and ignore the plight of genuinely weaker counties in Leinster who should have received far more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin teams have won 9 of the last 40 all Ireland Football Senior County Championships.

22.5%

Dublin teams have 5 of the last 40 all Ireland Football Senior Club Championships

12.5%

Kerry have won 13 of the last 40 all Ireland Senior County Championships

32.5%

Its blatantly obvious Athlone is far more accessible to people from Donegal, Sligo, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, and most of the country than Dublin.

Its far more accessible basically for everyone in Ulster, Connacht, Munster, the Midlands and most of Leinster.

Thanks for the map, there, chief....I'm well aware of the location of Athlone though.

Anyway, a quick look on google maps shows the driving times between the two places:

Letterkenny is 3h 09m from Athlone and 3h 07m from the NAC.
    Derry is 3h 19m vs 3h 16m
    Omagh 2h 30m vs 2h 14m
    Belfast 3h 08m vs 2h 03m

So that's Ulster out of the way, in Dublin's favour.

We'll give you Connacht seeing as half the population would nearly have to drive through it to get to dublin. there's no way you're getting "most of Leinster", though. All of Meath, Louth, Wicklow, Kildare, Wexford, Carlow and Dublin itself are closer to Dublin than Athlone in terms of travel time. Even Portlaoise is only 2 minutes slower, FFS.

Munster is split, as the likes of Tralee are closer to Athlone by 10 mins or so, while the vast majority of cork is closer and quicker to Dublin.

So, to recap:

You're correct that Connacht is quicker and the Western half of Munster is also quicker. The rest of the country is either the same or quicker to Dublin, and that's at 5pm on a weekday. If you were going for geographical proximity, maybe you'd have a point. But if you're talking about travel times and/or sheer numbers of people then you're wrong..........Connacht and West Munster aren't exactly full to the gills with inhabitants.

Also, "the Midlands" isn't a province and those counties are incorporated into the rest of provinces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Again I don't have the records to hand, but Dublin and Meath would likely be streets ahead with Leinster championships, similar to Kerry and Cork in Munster.

Once both Meath and Cork fall away, the other superpower in the province tends to have a free run at it. It was the same in Connacht with Galway falling backwards and Mayo dominating. Its not like for example Offaly and Kildare have been consistently competing for Leinster championships the last 100 years. They haven't.

Once again, you get away with disingenuous posts by saying you don't have the records to hand. Well, they were posted in the thread already. Leinster is the least dominated province of the three.

You cannot put Dublin and Meath on the same page as Kerry and Cork when it comes to provincial dominance. That is completely disingenuous.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    He raises a fair point.

Kerry and Cork have won 93% of the Munster Football Championships since 1900.

Galway and Mayo have won 79% of the Connacht Football Championships since 1900.

Dublin and Meath have won 60% of the Leinster Football Championships since 1900.

There has never been a level playing field, there have been unfair structural biases built into the GAA since its foundation.

What hope for Waterford in splitting Dublin? None. Ditto Leitrim, Antrim, Wicklow, Clare, Limerick, Tipperary, Sligo, London etc.

The only ones calling for it are coming from Mayo, Cork, Kerry, Meath and Kildare, for their own selfish reasons. The debate has no credibility other than being a bitter losing whinge unless it also addressed the successes of teams other than Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Once again, you get away with disingenuous posts by saying you don't have the records to hand. Well, they were posted in the thread already. Leinster is the least dominated province of the three.

You cannot put Dublin and Meath on the same page as Kerry and Cork when it comes to provincial dominance. That is completely disingenuous.

Ah will ya stop, it suits their argument so they will lump anything they can in. Surprised they haven't included the patriots superbowl record in as well.:)

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ah will ya stop, it suits their argument so they will lump anything they can in. Surprised they haven't included the patriots superbowl record in as well.:)

NfL have a draft system, salary cap and 32 teams spread around the country so no huge population advantages. And still one team has 6/19 out of the superbowls this century. Thats sport.

Strumms wrote: »
    Dublin teams have won 9 of the last 40 all Ireland Football Senior County Championships.

22.5%

Dublin teams have 5 of the last 40 all Ireland Football Senior Club Championships

12.5%

Kerry have won 13 of the last 40 all Ireland Senior County Championships

32.5%

We are talking about current dominance on this thread.

Dublin have won 7 of the last 9 AIs.

That's almost 80%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

We are talking about current dominance on this thread.

Dublin have won 7 of the last 9 AIs.

That's over 80%.

So we're only splitting Dublin on current performances?
    Might just encourage other teams to take their foot of the gas so if they know they're gonna be divided because some Mayo men and a few others get disgruntled.

Thanks for the map, there, chief....I'm well aware of the location of Athlone though.

Anyway, a quick look on google maps shows the driving times between the two places:

Letterkenny is 3h 09m from Athlone and 3h 07m from the NAC.
    Derry is 3h 19m vs 3h 16m
    Omagh 2h 30m vs 2h 14m
    Belfast 3h 08m vs 2h 03m

So that's Ulster out of the way, in Dublin's favour.

We'll give you Connacht seeing as half the population would nearly have to drive through it to get to dublin. there's no way you're getting "most of Leinster", though. All of Meath, Louth, Wicklow, Kildare, Wexford, Carlow and Dublin itself are closer to Dublin than Athlone in terms of travel time. Even Portlaoise is only 2 minutes slower, FFS.

Munster is split, as the likes of Tralee are closer to Athlone by 10 mins or so, while the vast majority of cork is closer and quicker to Dublin.

So, to recap:

You're correct that Connacht is quicker and the Western half of Munster is also quicker. The rest of the country is either the same or quicker to Dublin, and that's at 5pm on a weekday. If you were going for geographical proximity, maybe you'd have a point. But if you're talking about travel times and/or sheer numbers of people then you're wrong..........Connacht and West Munster aren't exactly full to the gills with inhabitants.

Also, "the Midlands" isn't a province and those counties are incorporated into the rest of provinces.

FFS, look at what you wrote.

Same distance for most of Ulster and places like Portlaoise.

Then dimissed all of Connacht and most of the football heartlands of Munster such as Kerry.

Also dismissed the Midlands. And most of west Leinster.

And then question why Leinster counties might have to travel more than an hour.

The centre is a complete waste of money. It would have been better to put the money into provincial centres. But Athlone would have been the fairest location for ALL counties IF going down a national centre route.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So we're only splitting Dublin on current performances?
    Might just encourage other teams to take their foot of the gas so if they know they're gonna be divided because some Mayo men and a few others get disgruntled.

Did I say splitting Dublin?

From 1970 - 2000 Offaly and Meath picked up 7 All Irelands and 4-5 National Leagues. The real mystery is what happened the rest of Leinster since 2000 and Dublin's funding doesn't explain it because the decline happened before that could have delivered results at senior level.

Offaly won 3 AIs in 12 years. Outside of that they won no AIs. Kildare last won an AI back in the 1920s. Louth won in 1957. These counties have not been consistent in the long run.

After a good decade in the 1990s for Meath and Dublin both went into transition in the early 2000s.

The difference is Dublin were pumped to the gills with gdf, Meath were not.

As for the rest falling back, when exactly were westmeath, laois, longford, etc challenging for AIs? The first two did well while Meath and Dublin were at a low point. Dublin would have come again. But they got a nice big push from Bertie. The greatest sugar daddy of them all :)

There is only so much research into the GAA I can do during work hours!

2 out of 11 football counties wining 60% of titles.

If that's not two counties being streets ahead I don't know what is?

Kildare have won 2 out of the last 63 Leinster titles both times managed by probably the greatest GAA manager of all time. Other than that they are where they've mostly been the last 50 years.

But hey Dublin was the weak county in the early 2000s or so Bertie thought despite winning an AI only 7 years before. He probably viewed Westmeath, Laois, Offaly as dominant teams or something like that.

He should have stuck to da auld soccer.

But hey Dublin was the weak county in the early 2000s or so Bertie thought despite winning an AI only 7 years before. He probably viewed Westmeath, Laois, Offaly as dominant teams or something like that.

He should have stuck to da auld soccer.

Again disingenuous contribution from you. Your own bias is shining through with those unsubstantiated comments and snide remarks

If you look at what the man himself said you might stop peddling the guff above.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/ahern-defends-dublin-gaas-funding-windfall-865484.html

“Yes, Dublin has a big population, but it’s a tough game in Dublin. It’s huge soccer country; it’s huge rugby country; it’s huge people-who-couldn’t-care-less-about-Gaelic-football; huge new Irish population, if I put it that way; and you have people who just aren’t sympathetic to GAA in the city.”

“I remember back in ’95, coming back up from a commemoration in Wexford the day of the All-Ireland final, and I had to go to Liberty Hall before I saw the first Dublin colours. It’s not like that now, but it was like that."

FFS, look at what you wrote.

Same distance for most of Ulster and places like Portlaoise.

Then dimissed all of Connacht and most of the football heartlands of Munster such as Kerry.

Also dismissed the Midlands. And most of west Leinster.

And then question why Leinster counties might have to travel more than an hour.

The centre is a complete waste of money. It would have been better to put the money into provincial centres. But Athlone would have been the fairest location for ALL counties IF going down a national centre route.

What are you talking about, the only thing I dismissed was your use of the Midlands as a fifth province.

All of Ulster bar is quicker to Dublin, the most populated part is quicker by an hour..... 1-0 Dublin
    All of Connacht is closer to Athlone..... 1-1
    Half of Munster is closer to Athlone.... 1.5 - 1.5
    Nearly all of Leinster is closer to Dublin..... 1.75 - 2.25 in Dublins favour.

Not only that, The 1.75 is made up of the least populated regions in the country. We haven't even gotten into the realm of access for non drivers yet.

Your argument that it should be in Athlone is dead in the water. You picked it because geographically its in the middle of the country but didn't take anything else into account because its symbolic of your bull**** "why do Dublin get everything" single mindedness. Your argument doesn't hold water. Doesn't cut the mustard. It is an ex-argument. You just don't want it to be in Dublin because..... Fcuk Dublin!

• Advertisement

What are you talking about, the only thing I dismissed was your use of the Midlands as a fifth province.

This is what I said.
    Its far more accessible basically for everyone in Ulster, Connacht, Munster, the Midlands and most of Leinster.

Did I say the Midlands is a province?

The midlands is a region, much like the north west, south west, south east.

Its not my fault you don't understand the difference between a region and a province.

All of Ulster bar is quicker to Dublin, the most populated part is quicker by an hour..... 1-0 Dublin
    All of Connacht is closer to Athlone..... 1-1
    Half of Munster is closer to Athlone.... 1.5 - 1.5
    Nearly all of Leinster is closer to Dublin..... 1.75 - 2.25 in Dublins favour.

Not only that, The 1.75 is made up of the least populated regions in the country. We haven't even gotten into the realm of access for non drivers yet.

Your argument that it should be in Athlone is dead in the water. You picked it because geographically its in the middle of the country but didn't take anything else into account because its symbolic of your bull**** "why do Dublin get everything" single mindedness. Your argument doesn't hold water. Doesn't cut the mustard. It is an ex-argument. You just don't want it to be in Dublin because..... Fcuk Dublin!

There are 32 counties in Ireland and 31 who take part in Sam Maguire. Do you not think players from all 31 should have relatively fair access to a national centre?

The argument is not about it being in Dublin because its Dublin. Its about being in a location relatively accessible to every single county, particulalry those on the west coast. Its about making an attempt to be fair in its location. Sticking it on the extreme east coast is hardly fair to people on the extreme west coast now is it?

Again disingenuous contribution from you. Your own bias is shining through with those unsubstantiated comments and snide remarks

If you look at what the man himself said you might stop peddling the guff above.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/ahern-defends-dublin-gaas-funding-windfall-865484.html

“Yes, Dublin has a big population, but it’s a tough game in Dublin. It’s huge soccer country; it’s huge rugby country; it’s huge people-who-couldn’t-care-less-about-Gaelic-football; huge new Irish population, if I put it that way; and you have people who just aren’t sympathetic to GAA in the city.”

“I remember back in ’95, coming back up from a commemoration in Wexford the day of the All-Ireland final, and I had to go to Liberty Hall before I saw the first Dublin colours. It’s not like that now, but it was like that."

Bertie was talking horse manure. Rugby is strong in numerous counties as are several other sports.

Next you'll be telling us soccer is weak in Louth and gaelic football has a free run there.

It was a clear and naked attempt by him to buy success. Blatently obvious.

Keep the excuses coming though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Only Dublin, Cork and Derry received more funding than Meath, Offaly and Laois.
    Since 2000, Meath got more funding and has more people than Mayo, Donegal, Armagh, Tyrone.
    Have they been as good, as any of them since 2000 at national level? All of the above teams have national titles.
    They are not just being outclassed by Kerry, Dublin and Cork.

If Leinster teams are being battered by Dublin, why are they being battered by Dublin to the extent that it demoralises them into quitting the game when none of Mayo, Donegal, Armagh, Tyrone etc react that way?
    Even if Dublin are on another level to them, there is not just one competition i.e the Leinster football championship.
    There is the league, back door route to All Ireland series and Super 8.

There is probably a mid rank of teams who would have hopes for a provincial title in a lucky year but not at All Ireland e.g. Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, Tipperary at football, some of the Ulster teams.
    Dublin's pre-dominance in Leinster could be a blocker to equivalent teams in Leinster.
    But that's just the game.

The argument you are trying to make for Leinster is not supported by the results relative to other counties & provinces, by the levels of funding, or by the levels of population.

Roscommon have 20+ provincial titles. I'd say they start most years thinking they can win

This is what I said.

Did I say the Midlands is a province?

The midlands is a region, much like the north west, south west, south east.

Its not my fault you don't understand the difference between a region and a province.

Yes, it's a region..... Which is already accounted for in the 4 provinces. Using it as a 5th item in a list to prove your point is like me saying "well blanchardstown is closer to leinster, the Northside, the southside, Fingal and dun Laoghaire."

There are 32 counties in Ireland and 31 who take part in Sam Maguire. Do you not think players from all 31 should have relatively fair access to a national centre?

The argument is not about it being in Dublin because its Dublin. Its about being in a location relatively accessible to every single county, particulalry those on the west coast. Its about making an attempt to be fair in its location. Sticking it on the extreme east coast is hardly fair to people on the extreme west coast now is it?

I've already proven that it is closer (timewise) to more counties than it it would be if it was in Athlone. No matter where it goes, someone will be the farthest away. Placing it close to the population concentration makes sense.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's a region..... Which is already accounted for in the 4 provinces. Using it as a 5th item in a list to prove your point is like me saying "well blanchardstown is closer to leinster, the Northside, the southside, Fingal and dun Laoghaire."

What region is Athlone in?

I don't mind discussing regions only if its simpler.

A centrally located centre would be far more accessable to the west, south west, midlands, west leinster, and about the same for everywhere else apart from the eastern seaboard who would be expected to travel the same distance as those on the west coast which would be entirely fair.

Thst said from what I can see not one county uses Abbotstown as their main centre for training, not even Dublin. Most counties prefer to build their own centres of excellence.

I've already proven that it is closer (timewise) to more counties than it it would be if it was in Athlone. No matter where it goes, someone will be the farthest away. Placing it close to the population concentration makes sense.

As I keep reminding you, 31 counties in Ireland compete for Sam Maguire. They all deserve ease of access to a national centre, not just the most populated county, Dublin.

Everyone paid for it afterall, including those on the western seaboard.

But its actually all a moot point. No county team trains there. And the idea that a club from Donegal, Cork, Kerry, Mayo would travel up to train there with a 6, 7 or 8 hour round trip is laughable to say the least.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Jaysus how are Dublin having all this success and with no centre of excellence? Makes the 5 in a row all that more remarkable. :D

No shortage of taxpayer funded facilities in 3rd Ievel campuses and clubs that have bigger turnover than most smaller counties

Strumms wrote: »
    So Dublin out of Leinster ? Ok an open All Ireland draw ?

If they are being funded as a province, the railway cup is the obvious place for Dublin

No shortage of taxpayer funded facilities in 3rd Ievel campuses and clubs that have bigger turnover than most smaller counties

Christ you’d swear there were no third level institutions outside dublin or something. And is it the clubs fault that they’ve actually used games development funding to bring Gaelic games into schools and bring in new members of all abilities? Anyone who supports Gaelic games show rejoice at its reach being spread out to areas that were previously untouched, both the relatively small number of new Irish and the more traditional groups who have missed out in the past. I know my own clubs gdo spends a massive amount of his week in primary schools promoting the game, and you can see the enthusiasm he generates.

Of course this “facilities” argument is just grist for the “Dublin are a machine with 15 gym bunnies” crap, shame they’ve played all the “footballing” counties off the park at this stage

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement