Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Final 2019.- Dublin V Kerry - Read Mod Note in Post #1

Comments

BPKS wrote: »
    Maybe you could say Kerry didnt win the midfield in the league final because Kerry didnt have their first choice midfield available. Seen as that was the reason that Mayo lost the midfield battle in Killarney.:rolleyes:

True, shows how important getting midfield ball is for Kerry. The forwards are starved otherwise. Tough day for the Kerry goalie coming up i expect. Moran will need a MOTM performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Mokuba wrote: »
    FYI, Paddy Power have Dublin -10 at 3/1. They have Kerry just to win the game at 9/2. Dublin -10 is considered more likely to happen than Kerry just winning at all.

Codding yourself if you expect this to be a contest. I'll happily back Dublin -10.

There's nowhere i can find that has Dublin at 3/1 -10 spread. Was that a promotional bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

True, shows how important getting midfield ball is for Kerry. The forwards are starved otherwise. Tough day for the Kerry goalie coming up i expect.

I agree - when Dublin press after frees especially (which if a certain Mr Gough is ref, they will get plenty inside the 45) then Shane Murphy will be under massive pressure. His kickouts, with the exception of 3 from memory, last Sunday were good but hes going to be dealing with a different beast on September 1st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Dublin wont win it covering 10 point spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

BPKS wrote: »
    I agree - when Dublin press after frees especially (which if a certain Mr Gough is ref, they will get plenty inside the 45) then Shane Murphy will be under massive pressure. His kickouts, with the exception of 3 from memory, last Sunday were good but hes going to be dealing with a different beast on September 1st.

Is he making a comeback? Hasn't played in goal for Kerry for more than a year? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Dublin wont win it covering 10 point spread

Yeah I think guy was talking abiut a promo bet

All the funnier when Kerry win

Like Tyrone would tire Sunday?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hahaha 'Warriors, come out to play!!!'

That's exacty the film I thought of aswell, great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

Could be a film like Invictus. How do we beat the All Blacks or in this case the Blues :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Kerrys big problem will be getting the ball into the Kerry Forwards. Its why they lost the league final, no service. They have to win midfield which i can't see happening against Dublin, it worked against Mayo in the championship because they had no fit starting midfielders.

The Kerry kickout will be pressurized with the high potential of goals from any miskicks. Moran as good as he is will be crowded and jostled in midfield.
    For Dublin Cluxton kicks out so quickly and accurately there is almost always someone free, if not going long the lads in midfield will normally scoop it up.

Tommy Walshs athleticism will be very important to retain any ball in the forward line, but i think his aggressiveness and at times stupid tackling will not be allowed against Dublin in a final. I would not be surprised to see him pick up two yellows or a black. Also against Dublin i can't see Clifford getting some of the easy frees he has been getting against other opposition.

There will probably be 4 times more Dubs than Kerry supporters at the game, so massive pressure on the referee to give hometown decisions.
    One of the reasons, another reason why Kerry lost the league final was because of 3-11 conceded and they were wide open in defence for all 3 goals.

73 mins played Mayo 2-11 Kerry 2-10 and this was the "defending" for the goal that sealed the league title for Mayo.

kerry-defending1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

C__MC wrote: »
    The ex kingdom player brigade are out in full force 48 hours after their semi final

"David Gough shouldn't ref it"
    "We wont keep it kicked out to Dublin"
    "Kerry definitely have the forwards to trouble dublin"
    "Steven o brien is a leader and shouldn't miss the final"

Going to be a long 3 weeks folks

Saw that today alright. Former Kerry footballer Jim Gavin said "you don't want to see any player missing an All-Ireland final"

Aidan O'Rourke said that Kerry are orchestrating things against Gough too.

You couldn't be up to them. I'm gonna click on the link Sara sent me today and see what's she's going on about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

There's nowhere i can find that has Dublin at 3/1 -10 spread. Was that a promotional bet?

It's an alternative handicap. They have loads of them and do it for all games across all sports.

On the Paddy Power website it's alternative handicap number 13 for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ok we get it.You have believe Kerry will win.

Now please quit the trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

David Gough to ref final
    Any thoughts?

Hes had some poor calls against Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Eamonn Fitzmaurice's comments seem especially stupid now.

I don't agree that he is the best in the country, however the point was made that he is the best out there that hasn't refereed an All Ireland yet, which is undeniable.

I hope nobody notices him (the sign of a good referee for me) and he has a great game.

I feel he was extremely tough on Kerry in 2016 and 2017 Semi Finals (as every losing fan tends to feel I suppose).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I hope nobody notices him (the sign of a good referee for me) and he has a great game.

That's the thing with Gough though. You always notice him because he refs the game completely differently to everyone else. I don't know if it's an ego thing (I suspect it probably is), but he always gets attention. He lets stuff go in general play that no other ref would allow, and pulls for tiny finicky stuff that all other refs allow. Personal opinion whether you like that or not, but I can't see the logic that allows a man to be manhandled in possession yet a defender making a slight tug of the arm off the ball is pulled.

All I personally want in GAA reffing is consistency, and Gough is completely different from the rest. GAA needs to decide which is right and which is wrong because such a level of descreptency can't go on. Gough is the only ref with which you go into thinking he'll be a huge factor in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

David Gough is a dreadful choice as ref. He's a poor ref anyway and is obviously massively compromised by his pro- Dublin bias. Another dreadful decision by the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

As a kerry man, I don't really mind that Gough is reffing the final I don't see it as an advantage or disadvantage.

However he is extremely pernickety and likes being the centre of attention.

I think there are better refs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Gough refereeing the final might cancel out the injustices of Mourice Deegan in the semifinal .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

I have no huge problem with Gough, hopefully he might even err on our side this time. But if these people writing hysterical nonsense about the Kerry reaction can answer me a couple of questions. How many times on a football pitch have you seen a decision by an official overturned because a player whined about it? Add in the fact that the same player then went on to be involved in the most controversial moment of the game, are you telling me no-one in your county would object?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

df02169 wrote: »
    I have no huge problem with Gough, hopefully he might even err on our side this time. But if these people writing hysterical nonsense about the Kerry reaction can answer me a couple of questions. How many times on a football pitch have you seen a decision by an official overturned because a player whined about it? Add in the fact that the same player then went on to be involved in the most controversial moment of the game, are you telling me no-one in your county would object?

This very referee awarded Dublin a penalty at Croke Park a few weeks back against Cork and then overturned his decision when informed it was incorrect, Wow, see what he done there?

This game you lads are obsessed with in 2016 was a game you were 5 points up in at half time, you’s blew it and lost, enough of the butt hurt shíte once and for all ffs and get on with it, you’s were the same about Joe McQuillan after 2011, even the Seamus Darby goal was a ref screwing ye :rolleyes: cringe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

This very referee awarded Dublin a penalty at Croke Park a few weeks back against Cork and then overturned his decision when informed it was incorrect, Wow, see what he done there?

Was the single source of his information about being incorrect the Cork player? Apology accepted.

F***ing hell, do you people even read? I'm not saying Gough shouldn't ref, I'm saying Kerry objections are completely understandable.

Do a bit of work, Signs in reads this nonsense, Heads for a stiff drink.

So on reality this is excuses being lined up for the journey home.

This will suit Dublin down to the ground. This will deflect attention off the 5 in a row. Exactly what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Seadin wrote: »
    This will suit Dublin down to the ground. This will deflect attention off the 5 in a row. Exactly what they need.

All this ho ha about David Gough could play into Kerry hands, in order to prove he's impartial he just might throw a few 50/50 calls Kerry's way. in any case it's difficult to see this young Kerry team, still in a period of transition, being able to put up a serious threat to Dublin's seasoned campaigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If Kerry were to loose, I wonder would the iAd brigade be blaming the Dublin weather and how unfair it was on Kerry that they cannot bring their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Yes pathetic crap from Kerry, Fitzmaurice, O’Mahony, Quirke, the Kerry lad on Off The Ball backing up this nonsense also on air, sad from a county who normally done their talking on the pitch.

Kerry Population- 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Kerry Population- 4

Really?? So 75% of the county were in Croke Park Sunday? And theres me thinking they didn’t travel for semi finals :P

O brien cleared to play. Appeal successful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

There was never really any doubt given all of the precedents but it’s good that it’s resolved.

• Advertisement

There was never really any doubt given all of the precedents but it’s good that it’s resolved.

Yeah I'd not wanna see any man miss an AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

This lad has a very awkward looking run. Not pretty on the eye. Not one for the purists. He's a tough nut so Johny Small or James McCarthy are going to have to curb his enthusiasm. Make him feel like he would have been better off missing the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I'd have been more surprised if the ban was upheld tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah I'd not wanna see any man miss an AI final.

If that’s the case save on the admin costs and have a blanket amnesty in such instances. But doing that would mean the possibility of a Dublin player benefiting from it which would be just horrendous, unfair on the rest of the country, etc... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

One less conspiracy theory.

RMAOK wrote: »
    I'd have been more surprised if the ban was upheld tbh.

What's the point having a rule if it isnt enforced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Seadin wrote: »
    What's the point having a rule if it isnt enforced?

He was entitled to appeal only when he had the 3rd black card. Couldn't do it any sooner.

The Meath one wasn't really a black card. So he is right to get off. Well within the daft rules as they are constructed.

So what else is now in the armoury for them to have a go about for the next 2 weeks?

He was entitled to appeal only when he had the 3rd black card. Couldn't do it any sooner.

The Meath one wasn't really a black card. So he is right to get off. Well within the daft rules as they are constructed.

So what else is now in the armoury for them to have a go about for the next 2 weeks?

Back to Dublin Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Normally the five in a row would be massive pressure but with Dublin being so bland would it have that big an impact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

thesultan wrote: »
    Normally the five in a row would be massive pressure but with Dublin being so bland would it have that big an impact?

Bland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bland?

Salty tears lessen the blandness after we win.

Spot on. I'm only new on here but there's some bitter and unhinged posters spouting the same old negative nonsense hour after hour, day after day, week after week. I dont know how decent posters bother with it really.

It's sad as its ruins any constructive debate regarding the thread topic which is the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah, it has gotten completely ridiculous now. Fair enough that people have issues with the Dubs, but they seem to air it dozens of times per day repeatedly.

This has the potential to be an excellent final. The Dubs' team are going for something historic, and obviously the Dublin team play an exciting intoxicating brand of football.

But they do have weaknesses, and Kerry have a forward line to expose it. I do wonder whether Cian O'Sullivan might be brought into the team, perhaps at the expense of MacAuley. Probably not, but if there is one change, that may be it.

Moran v Fenton will be an absolute belting battle in midfield. I think Fenton is the best player in the country, an all-time great already but Moran is no push over.

Dublin forwards should be able to rinse the Kerry back line. But it is conceivable that the Kerry attack could do the same to Dublin.

I predict the Dubs to win by 2-18 to 2-13. But it won't be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

D9Male wrote: »
    Yeah, it has gotten completely ridiculous now. Fair enough that people have issues with the Dubs, but they seem to air it dozens of times per day repeatedly.

This has the potential to be an excellent final. The Dubs' team are going for something historic, and obviously the Dublin team play an exciting intoxicating brand of football.

But they do have weaknesses, and Kerry have a forward line to expose it. I do wonder whether Cian O'Sullivan might be brought into the team, perhaps at the expense of MacAuley. Probably not, but if there is one change, that may be it.

Moran v Fenton will be an absolute belting battle in midfield. I think Fenton is the best player in the country, an all-time great already but Moran is no push over.

Dublin forwards should be able to rinse the Kerry back line. But it is conceivable that the Kerry attack could do the same to Dublin.

Yes should be a good game. I've alreadygiven my prediction Dublin 2-19 v Kerry 3-14. I can see the Kerry full forward line doing some damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

D9Male wrote: »

I agree I can't wait for it that Moran v Fenton match up is a great one to highlight. Moran the old stager class player. Fenton the younger of the two class player. 6 years between them,
    It is like like an echo of the old Jack O'Shea and Mullins battles
    Although it was revered then Mullins was the oldest of the two by three years.

If I was Kerry I would start Tommy Walsh he can be thier Donaghy/Bomber liston the focal point.
    The other lads can run off him.
    Try and get an early goal against Dublin to quietn the crowd (I think Kerry will need three in the game to win it)
    As for the weak Kerry backs I think that Kerry will not be able to go all out attack in a shoot out with Dublin.
    But there has to be periods in the game where the majority of the Kerry team funnel back and soak up pressure make the pitch narrow.
    They cannot be attack gung ho all the time.

I noticed in the Donegal v Kerry game - despite the 'shoot out' feel of the game there were periods of great defending from Kerry.
    Tenacious is what Ger Canning would call it I believe.
    They just have to do the dirty work - work like dogs all the fancy skilful stuff comes easy to Kerry - if they can get the rest while getting goals too I can see a Kerry win.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I can't see Kerry getting a big score against Dublin especially in a final. There highest scoring game was against a Meath team who have fallen apart in the later stages of nearly all there games this season.

1-17 Cork scored against Dublin this season which was highest they concided all year because Cork had nothing to lose and went for it and had a go look what happened to them in the end!

Kerry have been very open at the back in most of there games sure Cork themselves put 3-10 past them in a Munster final so what could Dublin do to that defence?

In the one game where Dublin looked in a spot of bother this season they ended up winning very comfortably in the end.

Kerry are looking at a hand full of players at the most to win them games. What happens if one or two of these lads are marked out the game or have an off day.

The Dublin team has players all over the pitch that rarely fail to turn up especially in the big games. The bench speaks for itself!

At the end of the day its Dublin Kerry in an all Ireland final with 5 in a row on the line anything could happen but surely if Dublin turn up they should have more then enough.

Dublin 2-19 Kerry 1-15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Stoner wrote: »
    Good luck on the final day men.

Is the end nigh?

Dublin 3-15 Kerry 2-13

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

I'm way over simplifying it here, but there seems to be two ways that teams take on the Dub's.

Because we all know that this Dublin team is 1) Fitter than you and 2) Better drilled than you, most teams focus on one aspect. You see Cork and Mayo(last week) attacking option 1, which is to concoct a tactic to stifle the dubs, but in the process they get tired, get ripped apart, and eventually die in the second half. Then there is the likes of Tyrone - who are aware that while the dubs are probably better players than them - are so fit that they'll be able to compete physically for the full 70 minutes, taking their beating in increments by quarter rather than a glut of points over a 10 minute period like the rest of the teams.

The team that came closest to striking this balance was Rochfords Mayo, who were better players than the Dub's most recent Final opposition Tyrone, but also had immense strength and conditioning. Thus they could come closest to matching the Dubs, and eventually losing by a point on both occasions. The point is, you don't have to be as skilful as the dubs or as fit as the dubs, but you need to get both as close to Dublin's level as possible to stand a chance. You need a decent tactic and you need to be confident that it'll last you the game, you're finished otherwise.

Mayo hadn't a hope last Saturday due to a depleted squad, and the circumstances of their Super 8 group not allowing for them to rest players the same way Dublin and Tyrone could. While they lost by 10 in the end, I don't think this is a reflection of the gap between them and Dublin. Likewise, I don't think my beloved Donegal had a hope if we had gotten through to last Saturday, but with 3 weeks to heal up and prepare for battle, Kerry find themselves in a much better position than Dublin's SF opponents.

I expect this to be tit for tat, Kerry possibly winning at half time and with the teams tied a number of times throughout the second half, but Dublin eventually pulling away from 60 minutes onwards to win by 3 or 4. I think the handicap on Kerry is a very good bet.

Dublin 1-19 Kerry 0-18 or thereabouts for me, but wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kerry snatch a win. I'll never forget 2014, ye feckers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement