Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Final 2019.- Dublin V Kerry - Read Mod Note in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Clever as in cheat. Yeah, fair enough. Wrong match up for Dublin. Need to sort your man out early, Dublin were too nice in first half guessing the ref's bias due to the campaign against him. Didn't make any difference. Might as well walk for a decisive intervention as has been done before.

Would expect to see a more robust response from start next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Clifford being young doesn’t make it a free out. It was a crazy foul to commit in the circumstances and Cooper was sent off, end of. He was getting absolutely roasted and he lost the head.

Yeah I totally agree. Cooper was an idiot. He deserved it 100%.
    I would drop him for the final replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

STB. wrote: »
    It was a reckless pull down by O'Sullivan on Small, and it happened only moments after being carded for a reckless challenge on O Callaghan.

It was a yellow. A second one. Gough bottled it. He was reaching for the card almost immediately, then started faffing about with his notebook. There was 20 minutes to go at that stage.

No consistency, but sure who knows what was going through Gough's head.

Pull down my hole, I think I will now out of this thread now. The inability of people to just watch a replay and admit what they see is astounding.

One arm pulled/held him and the forward threw himself to the air/ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

corny wrote: »
    Cooper played at the ball and Clifford played the man. Neither was in possession so the stuff about shielding is rubbish. Clifford went out of his way to take Cooper out.
    Ah now.
    Clifford was out ahead of Cooper and used his body to shield the ball from Cooper as every single good forward would do (and something Dublin forwards regularly do). Cooper realized this too late and knew that Clifford was away from him and, as a result, pulled him to the ground. It's a blatant free and yellow card. How anyone can even begin to suggest that it should have been a free the other way is mind boggling.

O'Sullivan was booked for a similar foul to Cooper's foul for the penalty (Cooper was not booked for his). Small made the absolute most of O'Sullivan's second foul. It was not as bad as Cooper's sending off offence and a ticking was sufficient.
    I'm not Gough's biggest fan. I don't think he's a great referee and the best thing about him being a Meath man is that we don't get him for games (though my own club have been on the receiving end more than once). But he had a good game and got pretty much all the big decisions spot on. Gave a few soft frees and let a few fouls go, but that was pretty much it. Cluxton was way off his line for the penalty but this rule is pretty much always ignored in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

ClanofLams wrote: »

Just in case anybody missed this aggressive pull down!

Well, Meath got the draw, so well done Hammer :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Missed the game due to other commitments. From a neutrals POV, was it a great game or just a good competitive game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

rgace wrote: »
    Just in case anybody missed this aggressive pull down!

Clear dive. Not sure what people are complaining about.

The diving and feigning was going on from both sides yesterday and is something that needs to be dealt with by the GAA. A yellow card for some of the offenders might act as a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Missed the game due to other commitments. From a neutrals POV, was it a great game or just a good competitive game?

Good entertaining game, the last 15-20 mins were nudging into 'great' if only for the drama with the result in the balance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

It wasn't a great game quality wise. There wasn't many great scores.

Cluxtons save onto the crossbar, Spillanes point were the highlights I would say.

Was tense though considering it was so tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The replay is something to look forward to , Kerrys young lads will improve from the final experience and their forwards will not misfire as much again, Dublin will keep 15 on the pitch so it should be an even match up .

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Well, Meath got the draw, so well done Hammer :-)
    Again, I've no love for Gough. I don't base my opinions on the game on where the referee is from. But he had a decent game. That would be my opinion regardless of his county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

rgace wrote: »

One arm pulled/held him and the forward threw himself to the air/ground.

Are you talking about the second Cooper card or the second one that O'Sullivan should have got?

That description applies equally to both incidents and that is where the problem lies. One got a card, the other didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It wasn't a great game quality wise. There wasn't many great scores.

Cluxtons save onto the crossbar, Spillanes point were the highlights I would say.

Was tense though considering it was so tight.

The McCaffrey goal was the highpoint quality-wise, from the kick-out onwards.

Looking at that Kerry "second yellow" again it looks awful for the Dub.

How on earth do you get swung around just by an arm left around the rib cage.

This rubbish has come into the game too much and the Dubs do it all game.

Look at no.7's right leg go up in the air and forward while at the same time his head and shoulders flop to the left and back.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the second Cooper card or the second one that O'Sullivan should have got?

That description applies equally to both incidents and that is where the problem lies. One got a card, the other didn't.

QED, as your man Euclid used to say.

McCaffrey, a half back in a 14 man team scored points off off his left foot, his right foot and his fist. He also scored a fabulous goal. That was the highlight for me.

When will we ever see that again in an All Ireland final? Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was compelling.

Sure there were bad shots, poor turnovers etc but 5 in a row looked like it could have been once again denied, it was edge of the seat stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I'm not sure on reflection how good the Kerry showing was

I mean geaney and Clifford were very poor, they couldn't pounce on 14 men and their kickouts were shocking

The game was done but for their keeper clawing the ball back into play and David Byrne misjudging the ball

Kerry hit a purple patch between 55 and 64 but wilted afterwards badly.

There footballing ability as always does keep them alive. Naturally good footballers who can pounce at any time, always been a trademark of the kingdom even when they are at their lowest ebb.

They won midfield hands down and done really to float back players to black space on mannion and con

Dublins inability to curb the space at the opposite end was a problem as was there problem on putting pressure out the field.

For Dublin to get the draw with 14 men and being off the pace, they'll be delighted.

Shades of 2014 hurling me thinks, tipp all over kk the first day but missed the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

Ha ha. I'm loving the Dublin whining about the ref. Of course, those whines are legitimate, unlike the phantom 45 and game winning decision in 2016 which are Kerry sour grapes and/or propaganda.

Hard to see past Dublin for the replay. They were coasting for long stretches of that second half.

• Advertisement

Eh, who was whining about the ref ???????

About half the posts in here are about the ref, many coming with ludicrous interpretations of the rules. My favourite is that Coopers second yellow was a free out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

C__MC wrote: »
    I'm not sure on reflection how good the Kerry showing was

I mean geaney and Clifford were very poor, they couldn't pounce on 14 men and their kickouts were shocking

The game was done but for their keeper clawing the ball back into play and David Byrne misjudging the ball

Kerry hit a purple patch between 55 and 64 but wilted afterwards badly.

There footballing ability as always does keep them alive. Naturally good footballers who can pounce at any time, always been a trademark of the kingdom even when they are at their lowest ebb.

They won midfield hands down and done really to float back players to black space on mannion and con

Dublins inability to curb the space at the opposite end was a problem as was there problem on putting pressure out the field.

For Dublin to get the draw with 14 men and being off the pace, they'll be delighted.

Shades of 2014 hurling me thinks, tipp all over kk the first day but missed the boat

Shades of 2009 for me. Missed goal chances costing dearly, but possibly at least a sign that a team is stepping up to the plate to take on the Dubs (a la Tipp v KK in 2009).
    Dubs should win the replay, although as you say, it wasn't a case of the underdog playing massively above themselves, there is plenty of potential for improvement for Kerry also. Think they had 5 points out of 14 chances at one stage in the first half which is abysmal for a forward line of their quality.

No penalty, free out for Cooper's sending off, O'Sullivan should have gone.

I thought he was ok, if inconsistent. Few soft ones for both sides, few missed ones for both sides. Cooper and O'Sullivan decisions spot on in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Lets hope Dublin start Cooper the next day and maybe bring in Paddy Small too

McCaffrey, a half back in a 14 man team scored points off off his left foot, his right foot and his fist. He also scored a fabulous goal. That was the highlight for me.

When will we ever see that again in an All Ireland final? Never.

Number on the back means nothing.

Sure Kilkenny was in his own half back line passing it backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Most observers of gaelic would know that Cooper had been getting away with poor tackling for years.
    about time he was punished and I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped for the replay
    Gavin was very slow on the line and should have hauled him off and Small was on dodgy ground too

I'd love to see someone give MDM a boot up the hole when he stands in front of a free to stop it being taken quickly. He must do this 5/6 times a game and gets away with it constantly

I've never seen Clifford so poor and Geaney too. Maybe the nerves got to them.

Y'wha??? Jaysus Bonnie, yer memory's going ;)
    No penalty, free out for Cooper's sending off, O'Sullivan should have gone.
    Let's hope a decent ref like Lane gets the replay, They'll probably be whinging about that because he's from Cork.
    Meathman was psyched out, which is only human.

Ce la vie.

Hopefully a neutral ref next day :-)

Is it only whinging when non-Dublin fans do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i didnt meet one dublin fan last night who wasnt blaming gough. just on the Johnny Cooper thing -

he should have given away a penalty in the first 6 mins - he dragged Sean O Shea to the ground, for those who say otherwise look at the main picture of the incident on the front page of the RTE GAA section.

he then gave away a penalty, then another foul. he then gave away a 3rd and was booked and you could clearly see the ref said thats your 3rd (it was actually his 4th but he got away with the first 1).

he then fouled again and was sent off. Jim Gavin should have taken him off well before that.

the ironic thing however is that Dublin fans are moaning about Tom Sullivan commiting 2 fouls. applying the same logic then, Cooper should actually have been sent off after 12 minutes and not 34.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

There was a big Dublin fan on RTE blaming the referee. His name is Joe Brolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Don’t be lumping him in with us.

About half the posts in here are about the ref, many coming with ludicrous interpretations of the rules. My favourite is that Coopers second yellow was a free out!

but but Clifford had the cheek to use his body to shield a ball. Surely a straight red for Clifford? ;)

You are missing the point.

Which side tried to influence the ref BEFORE the game, and got all the crucial calls in the first half?

Not moaning. Merely stating fact.

You were watching Arsenal. Off with you lad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I can't believe Dublin fans are still adamant that Cooper shouldn't have walked. It was a blessing in disguise really as he was getting destroyed.

And they clearly have short memories if they think that Dublin players don't exaggerate fouls now and again. Sure Mannion was clearly hit by a sniper in the crowd that time he 'collapsed' in the Leinster final. Them Meath hoors would do anything to get one over on Dublin clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

Is this also not a penalty from Cooper again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Forge83 wrote: »
    Is this also not a penalty from Cooper again?

Free out.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Free out.

LOL!!

Goalkeepers elbowing forwards in the head doesn't count either, well not for the Meath county board umpires anyway.

Meath county board be huge Dubs by the way for anyone lacking local knowledge :-)

Wait til you hear the whinging when Lane gets the replay because he is from Cork.

Some people have no fkn personal insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's that rattling noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

If con o callaghan had buried that goal chance late in the first half, it could have been done

Is the blanket defence still the best way to curb Dublin?
    Worked a treat yesterday with pressure out the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

127 pages of comments is good going for a game that supposedly no neutrals were interested in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Bridge93 wrote: »
    127 pages of comments is good going for a game that supposedly no neutrals were interested in

Sure there's 163 pages in the "Dominance" thread. That's a whole lot of bitterness in in a spot.
    If we win the replay, it will melt down.

You are missing the point.

Which side tried to influence the ref BEFORE the game, and got all the crucial calls in the first half?

Not moaning. Merely stating fact.

Importantly, he got all the crucial calls correct in the first half in my view (unless you count not spotting Cluxton coming off his line which he technically got wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

C__MC wrote: »
    If con o callaghan had buried that goal chance late in the first half, it could have been done

what about the 5 goal chances Kerry had, 3 of which came before Coopers sending off?

Have to say the way they played off Tommy Walsh was super. They didn't do it enough. He's always looking for the layoff, very unselfish player.

They should have went long much more in the last 10/15 minutes. David Moran doesn't inspire me with confidence on the ball, he took it into contact too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Have to say the way they played off Tommy Walsh was super. They didn't do it enough. He's always looking for the layoff, very unselfish player.

They should have went long much more in the last 10/15 minutes. David Moran doesn't inspire me with confidence on the ball, he took it into contact too much.

Moran was doing that against Tyrone too, running at other players when absolutely no need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I thought Moran was superb yesterday, absolutely superb.

He only got turned over once- sometimes you have to take the ball into contact and back yourself to break yet line in order to make an overlap option.

He was easily the best midfielder on show yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Goalkeepers elbowing forwards in the head doesn't count either, well not for the Meath county board umpires anyway.

Meath county board be huge Dubs by the way for anyone lacking local knowledge :-)

Wait til you hear the whinging when Lane gets the replay because he is from Cork.

Some people have no fkn personal insight.

Your own whinging and general posting such as references to ‘boy wonder’ etc have been utterly cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement