Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Final 2019.- Dublin V Kerry - Read Mod Note in Post #1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Tickets came this morning. Nice to see it only cost us 90euro up here in the Schmoke. :)

I've exams and a wedding this week so I haven't managed to get the "buzz". Just yet.

It will come. Hopefully the lack of buzz will show HQ that this needs to go back to the 3rd weekend of September.

Clubs have been issued a championship pack to encourage surrounding areas to be decked out. It was done by the Lord mayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Clubs have been issued a championship pack to encourage surrounding areas to be decked out. It was done by the Lord mayor.

Last year the Khmer Vert were stopping City Council putting up banners on bridges.

They are biggest or second biggest party on DCC now. I presume they have changed their tune?

Cabra already looking well from transit last week. Pity it was spoiled by the royal blue and white ones :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I got my tickets just now.
    Can't wait now.
    The bookies have the Dubs at -6
    Think it could be closer.

Minor should be good as well.
    Will feel a bit strange watching a minor game without Kerry in it. :D
    Cork v Galway will be a difficult one to call.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bonniedog wrote: »

Last year the Khmer Vert were stopping City Council putting up banners on bridges.

They are biggest or second biggest party on DCC now. I presume they have changed their tune?

Cabra already looking well from transit last week. Pity it was spoiled by the royal blue and white ones :-)

I was out tonight doing a little bit around Marino, malahide road. And yeah tune well and truely changed, 2 ceremonials set up for before and after the game as opposed to 1 if we are lucky.

Hill 16 is Dublin onlyyyyyy!!!

I was out tonight doing a little bit around Marino, malahide road. And yeah tune well and truely changed, 2 ceremonials set up for before and after the game as opposed to 1 if we are lucky.

Ah jayus if they don't put up more stuff this year they never will.

• Advertisement

Ah jayus if they don't put up more stuff this year they never will.

Apparently alot of areas are being decked this weekend. It is bad that its the same people each time getting out and doing their own area it needs to come from all of the GAA community and not just the few commited.

Apparently alot of areas are being decked this weekend. It is bad that its the same people each time getting out and doing their own area it needs to come from all of the GAA community and not just the few commited.

I did my bit Dublin flag on the window for the past year! :D

I did my bit Dublin flag on the window for the past year! :D

Im gonna do me bit also ill have 25 final tickets for sale on adverts the weekend if your a dub face value if your anyone else its 250 a pop hahah
    Thats a joke before me few fans from kerry have a breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can't bate the auld Dublin wit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I got my tickets just now.
    Can't wait now.
    The bookies have the Dubs at -6
    Think it could be closer.

Minor should be good as well.
    Will feel a bit strange watching a minor game without Kerry in it. :D
    Cork v Galway will be a difficult one to call.

Yeah, tickets arrived by post yesterday, that is when the excitement starts.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yeah, tickets arrived by post yesterday, that is when the excitement starts.

Are you anything to the blanch150 on ebay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Are you anything to the blanch150 on ebay :)

nope

Bad joke on my part!

So already tickets are being sold online for profit, why go to hassle of moving them on for the sake of an extra few quid. Absolute soulless hounds

Im gonna do me bit also ill have 25 final tickets for sale on adverts the weekend

Fair play to ya - three things about selling tickets for massive profit that really annoys me.

1) This means it is more likely the rich people buy them

2) Those who buy the ticket are less likely to be proper supporters and are just there for the 'event'

3) Those who sell the tickets at mad prices are greedy ****ers - who are no worse than drug dealers.

Im gonna do me bit also ill have 25 final tickets for sale on adverts the weekend

Fair play to ya - three things about selling tickets for massive profit that really annoys me.

1) This means it is more likely the rich people buy them

2) Those who buy the ticket are less likely to be proper supporters and are just there for the 'event'

3) Those who sell the tickets at mad prices are greedy ****ers - who are no worse than drug dealers.

Im joking mate. Its not worth me job and any tout is a scumbag, Croke park are clamping down on people selling tickets on. If they get pictures of the tickets with the 3 digits trans code the tickets are cancelled for reselling as its not allowed. If you go through me posts you will see i handed out premiums hurling finals for free morning of the game as I did witu Dublin mayo game
    Diagusting seeing tickets resold

Im joking mate. Its not worth me job and any tout is a scumbag, Croke park are clamping down on people selling tickets on. If they get pictures of the tickets with the 3 digits trans code the tickets are cancelled for reselling as its not allowed. If you go through me posts you will see i handed out premiums hurling finals for free morning of the game as I did witu Dublin mayo game
    Diagusting seeing tickets resold

That came across wrong - what I meant was that you have the decency to not flog your tickets to the highest bidder

Oh yeah i understand absolutely no chance obviously the spares wont be going to anyone who frequents Tralee Killarney or any other Kerry town, But sure plenty to go around. Should be a bulk of tickets arrived today to people

Well done to Pumper who won player of the month for august. Well deserved Con.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Have 2 Hill tickets if someone wants to swap stand tickets for them plus cash your way. Would need to be lower tier stand, don't mind where after that.
    Swap on the Sunday morning or in Dingle before that.

Not for sale at any price. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Have 2 Hill tickets if someone wants to swap stand tickets for them plus cash your way. Would need to be lower tier stand, don't mind where after that.
    Swap on the Sunday morning or in Dingle before that.

Not for sale at any price. Thanks.

Hold them till the weekend you will get a swap around the ground for the hill easy enough most dubs will want the hill.

Any presupposing the result is not coming from Dublin.

Mainly, if here is any indication, from non Kerry people who hate Dublin and are on win/win:

Dublin winning is proof of their Cassandra like predictions of the death of gaelic football.

Kerry win, then it be like one of happiest days of their lives.

they'll enjoy it either way. In their own little way.

I wonder will certain 'journalists' have separate copies ready? -
    One if Dublin win
    Another if Kerry win
    The narrative would have to be completely different - the agenda would stay the same.

Of course if it turns out to be a draw a pulsating game, that would be devastation to some, because there will not be clear line of attack.

They might have to praise Gaelic football and admit they enjoyed it. :D
    The shame of it!

I was having a nose around you tube and there was this programme called 'Kerry the Green and Gold' about Kerry GAA

It covers the history of Kerry GAA right up until 2006.
    I found it funny that many of the things said could be applied now.
    Kerry have to adapt thier game changing times etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I was having a nose around you tube and there was this programme called 'Kerry the Green and Gold' about Kerry GAA

It covers the history of Kerry GAA right up until 2006.
    I found it funny that many of the things said could be applied now.
    Kerry have to adapt thier game changing times etc etc

The great wishie Fogarty....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Who will you be shouting for on next Sunday anyway?
    I'd say you are really looking forward to it as a neutral?

I hope kerry win it for the reason that it would be nice for dublin not to beat their 4 in a row record. The cash has kinda sullied the thing so kerry keeping their record would be maybe a bit of poetic justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think this is going be closer then some expect. Kerry never lie down easy and I expect it to be right tussle for long time.

Dublin by 3 or 4 points in end as they just never seem to panic

But how much will this 5 in a row play in the minds of the Dubs?

If they can handle it they will win, but same was said of Cats in 2010

Nothing ive said there is unreasonable or unfair. It is just the truth. You wanting it to be bitter, doesnt mean it is.

Don't mind me. Just amusing myself.

Was cheering for your women today. Thought they'd gotten a draw at the end, but right call from the ref. Great goal in second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I think this is going be closer then some expect. Kerry never lie down easy and I expect it to be right tussle for long time.

Dublin by 3 or 4 points in end as they just never seem to panic

But how much will this 5 in a row play in the minds of the Dubs?

If they can handle it they will win, but same was said of Cats in 2010

There was a huge circus going on when KK going for 5 with the miracle of Shefflin defying a cruciate injury to play and 8000 people at onowlan park watching him training..... i doubt if there was even 8 people watching the Dubs train this yr not to mind in the last wk or 2...

Shefflin didnt last long which would be like the Dubs losing C Kilkenny or Con would b a huge blow.... not likely to happen of course....

5-in-a-row wont feature as these lads are way too focused for that.... if Kerry are within 10pts we'll be happy enuf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

But wouldn't Kerry winning be the ultimate contraction to your oft stated beliefs that cash equals success?

I think you are in a lose - lose.
    You have backed yourself into a corner.

Dublin win = they get the five in a row which has been never achieved in the game. And most fair-minded people will view them as the greatest team of all time - style of play, mental strength, level of player, once in a generation players etc (which will really stick in your craw)
    11 survivors of the 2011 final and another 7 come from the 2013 team.

Kerry win = they disprove the cash equals success theory in THE penultimate MUST WIN GAME for the Dubs.
    (which means all you have believed up to this point is utterly untrue)
    Kerry the new breed of young vibrant footballers the next generation. Enright the only survivor of the 2011 final with EOD on the panel. So it is basically a near complete clear out.

It is going to be a long year for you either way!
    I wouldn't watch the game if I were you.

Then there is Mayo.....
    Yes, then there is Mayo.....

Why penultimate?

• Advertisement

Don't think the heart would stand a draw gormdubh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Can't remember ever having less interest in an All Ireland final. How sad and low it has fallen. Dublin by 15 points imo. Will probably watch the first half then flick on Arsenal vs Spurs at HT. A more even contest.

Who do you hope wins "us" or "youse"?

The 83,000 people there and the more than one million watching globally will not feel that it is the same without you, Netflix dude.

munster87 wrote: »
    Why penultimate?

Because it would be the holy grail of the five in a row.
    Never achieved before etc.
    Win it and the Dublin team will go down as the first ever, the greatest etc.
    Lose it and Kerry will get the plaudits the team that stopped Dublin, the young pups, the new breed.
    Kerry would then go down in history as the team who stopped Dublin doing five in row. Then Dublin's four in a row will not seem so great in plain statistics. Kerry have done it twice, Wexford have done it once in the football.
    Kilkenny have done the four in a row once in hurling under Cody, as have Cork in the 40's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Because it would be the holy grail of the five in a row.
    Never achieved before etc.
    Win it and the Dublin team will go down as the first ever, the greatest etc.
    Lose it and Kerry will get the plaudits the team that stopped Dublin, the young pups, the new breed.
    Kerry would then go down in history as the team who stopped Dublin doing five in row. Then Dublin's four in a row will not seem so great in plain statistics. Kerry have done it twice, Wexford have done it once in the football.
    Kilkenny have done the four in a row once in hurling under Cody, as have Cork in the 40's.

I think you may have the definition confused? Did this not happen with someone else here last week who called this final the penultimate game too?

Can't remember ever having less interest in an All Ireland final. How sad and low it has fallen. Dublin by 15 points imo. Will probably watch the first half then flick on Arsenal vs Spurs at HT. A more even contest.

Surely you will watch Netflix or have you watched all of Breaking Bad, F is for Family, Archer, Black Mirror, House of Cards, Better Call Saul etc....
    That's your real sport?
    Also I assume you did not watch Spurs v Newcastle yesterday because you assumed it was not an even contest?

If every team had your attitude there would be no upsets in sport
    There is a good series on Netflix called Losers, a series about those who grasped defeat from the jaws of victory.
    They are painted not as losers but as moral victors.
    I suppose it could be called the 'Mayo effect'.
    It is not always about just the victory/loss it is about the game itself - the context, the subplot, the history.

Most GAA people will be glued to it on Sunday watching history one way or another.
    The beauty of sport is that it is unpredictable, that is why people watch it to see what will happen.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    I think you may have the definition confused? Did this not happen with someone else here last week who called this final the penultimate game too?

To me it is the last in the series of the five in a row - (as fan of netflix would no doubt understand)
    There will always be before the five in a row win/failure in the minds of supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

To me it is the last in the series of the five in a row - (as fan of netflix would no doubt understand)
    There will always be before the five in a row win/failure in the minds of supporters.

Penultimate means "the second last". The one before the last.
    And your recent posts are gone to the dogs altogether. I don't know if anyone else agrees with me, but it's like you are getting more immature/desperate to extinguish this Dublin money thing. Completely grasping at straws. Dublin have won enough in past 8 years to at least lend a bit of credibility that funding could have some relevance.
    I personally hope that Dublin win on Sunday. I was sitting on the fence a bit on it. Not knowing who I'd prefer to win. But I think they deserve their 5 in a row. Since 2011, despite all the successes, they all seem to have remained really grounded. Seem like a lovely bunch of lads. And I have to say, I do love the fact that they visit the kids hospitals etc. with Sam. For me, providing that enjoyment to a sick child is most satisfying.

Kerry win = they disprove the cash equals success theory in THE penultimate MUST WIN GAME for the Dubs.
    (which means all you have believed up to this point is utterly untrue)
    Kerry the new breed of young vibrant footballers the next generation. Enright the only survivor of the 2011 final with EOD on the panel. So it is basically a near complete clear out.

This is the sort of argument a child would come out with.

If Macclesfield beat Man Utd in the cup does it disprove the argument that Man Utd's vastly superior resources are helpful?

To be fair if any county deserve a good battering from Dublin it's Kerry. They've won enough All Irelands. What sort of supporters only start attending matches when they reach the All Ireland final? Even Wicklow have better supporters.

And your recent posts are gone to the dogs altogether. I don't know if anyone else agrees with me, but it's like you are getting more immature/desperate to extinguish this Dublin money thing. Completely grasping at straws. Dublin have won enough in past 8 years to at least lend a bit of credibility that funding could have some relevance.
    I personally hope that Dublin win on Sunday. I was sitting on the fence a bit on it. Not knowing who I'd prefer to win. But I think they deserve their 5 in a row. Since 2011, despite all the successes, they all seem to have remained really grounded. Seem like a lovely bunch of lads. And I have to say, I do love the fact that they visit the kids hospitals etc. with Sam. For me, providing that enjoyment to a sick child is most satisfying.

You are right about penultimate. :o
    But I know from looking at this Dublin team this is the chance it might never come again in my lifetime.
    Dublin have slipped in intercounty hurling since 2013.

In football Dublin have not won the league this year, or the O'Byrne Cup.
    Dublin have lost the u20 championship in the last two years.
    Dublin have not won the minior championship since 2012.
    Lack of dominance in the football club championship is telling as well since 2013 Have not even got out of leinster twice!
    The success could all end very quickly in the next few years.

I do agree with you that this group of lads deserve the five in a row.
    It would be easy to switch off and/or get notions let standards slide.
    I am going to enjoy the game whether it is the penultimate to the six in a row or five in row win.
    Even if it is a five in a row failure I will at least have been there.
    In my heart although I would be annoyed if Dublin lost.
    I wouldn't be able to begrudge the likes of David Clifford an All-Ireland title.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

AI winning counties have done this since as long as most of us can remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

To be fair if any county deserve a good battering from Dublin it's Kerry.They've won enough All Irelands. What sort of supporters only start attending matches when they reach the All Ireland final? Even Wicklow have better supporters.

This is Kerry you are referring to here right?

To be fair if any county deserve a good battering from Dublin it's Kerry. They've won enough All Irelands. What sort of supporters only start attending matches when they reach the All Ireland final? Even Wicklow have better supporters.

You get that with a lot of counties.

In fairness to Kerry even travelling in thier own county takes ages.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tarbert,+County+Kerry/Sneem+Tavern,+Inchinaleega+East,+Sneem,+Co.+Kerry/@52.1940427,-10.1393195,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x485ad8bc08d85d61:0xa00c7a997319890!2m2!1d-9.3751312!2d52.5725966!1m5!1m1!1s0x4845640b4a6653fb:0xad2d7569940d8732!2m2!1d-9.8993798!2d51.83837!3e0

It is an expensive trip to Dublin for country people as well so they are going to pick and chose the games.
    I would do the same if I was from Kerry.
    If Kerry got 'a good battering' it would be a bit of revenge for thier hammering of Dublin in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

I love the way all the dubs on here think most people will be glued Sunday . It might be important to them in there drive for 5 which will soon be let’s go for 10 in a row . After Sunday they won’t have had a competitive game in 2018 or 2019 .most neutrals lost interest a long time ago including meself . When football becomes somewhat competive again I will look forward to that .

You get that with a lot of counties.
    Not as bad as Kerry though. Their attendances for Munster finals and All Ireland semi finals are embarrassing for the sport.

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is the sort of argument a child would come out with.

If Macclesfield beat Man Utd in the cup does it disprove the argument that Man Utd's vastly superior resources are helpful?

If you look at this thread there is many facets to the picture

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110956174

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tarbert,+County+Kerry/Sneem+Tavern,+Inchinaleega+East,+Sneem,+Co.+Kerry/@52.1940427,-10.1393195,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x485ad8bc08d85d61:0xa00c7a997319890!2m2!1d-9.3751312!2d52.5725966!1m5!1m1!1s0x4845640b4a6653fb:0xad2d7569940d8732!2m2!1d-9.8993798!2d51.83837!3e0

It is an expense trip to Dublin for country people as well so they are going to pick and chose the games.
    If Kerry got 'a good battering' it would be a bit of revenge for thier hammering of Dublin in 2009.
    Donegal and Mayo have similar lengths to travel and they attend in massive numbers. Kerry supporters don't even attend Munster finals on their doorstep. But we're supposed to accept they're the most "football mad" county in All Ireland. Yeah right!

It is an expense trip to Dublin for country people as well so they are going to pick and chose the games.

I think this is a big reason for the recent drop in crowds at Croker, particularly since the introduction of the Super8s.
    With the best will in the world, people cannot afford to travel up from the country 3 times in a month or so. The cost of one trip if bringing a family is in the hundreds.
    And the problem is worse for counties who are successful in mens and womens as well as underage such as Galway, Kerry, Mayo, or Cork in the hurling. Its asking a lot of fans to keep heading to Dublin to support their teams. Dubs only need to worry about the cost of a ticket and a bus fare.
    For everyone on the western seaboard its a long costly day so understandable if people want to give it a miss.

If you look at this thread there is many facets to the picture

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110956174

I have absolutely no interest in that thread, I was just replying to a post in this thread that was making a facile argument.

'If Kerry win Sunday it means the money makes no difference' is the level of discourse I would probably see if I eavesdropped on a conversation about the matter in a primary school this week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement