Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Final 2019.- Dublin V Kerry - Read Mod Note in Post #1

1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

D'Agger wrote: »
    Agreed - Lyne coughed up posession looking for a free, I don't know what his club form has been like of late but he must be doing something in training that PK put him in ahead of Shane

It was a free tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Have to disagree with the other Dubs here, I thought the ref did okay. There were probably more questionable decisions that went against Dublin but the vast majority of the ones which didn't were way more important / in crucial areas of the pitch.

Cooper is an eejit for getting sent off. Nobody to blame but himself. Second yellow for the Kerry lad would have been harsh. Haven't seen a replay of Connolly fouling Lyne but at the time I thought the "no foul, Dublin line ball" call was correct.

Bottom line: Dublin played as badly as I've seen in maybe 4 years. Decision making, shot selection, marking, tracking runners..... All well below par. Kerry team didn't exactly light the place up but, relatively speaking, an above average performance. I was chuffed we managed a draw, relief was pouring off me. Genuinely can't see a repeat of that poor showing n the replay.

I actually dont think the ref done all that well to be honest. The pen should have been retaken, O Sullivan got a yellow for a tackle that Cooper only got a tick for.....I though both of Smalls (tick and yellow) were both yellows. O Brien in the second half was denied a stone wall 21 yard free straight in front of the hill, while in the first half, he gives a free, when Con was surrounded but not fouled. Add to that O Sullivans tick was actually a yellow card offence for me.

Also, the turnovers at the end, there was at least 2 fouls in there that he missed....thats not the issue for me, as I wouldnt expect Gough to give those, but based on the frees he was giving earlier, a) he should have given them, and b) as a ref you have to be consistent.....and I felt he wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I remember there was rumours that Paidi could pick him for the footballers.
    Vinnie said it was never going to happen.
    My auld fella taught in Vinnie's former secondary school, and said as a young lad Vinnie was a way better hurler than footballer.
    Is there any Dublin footballer who isn't a better hurler than footballer? Imagine how many all irelands Dublin would have if they could get their best hurlers to play(hurling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

harpsman wrote: »
    Is there any Dublin footballer who isn't a better hurler than footballer? Imagine how many all irelands Dublin would have if they could get their best hurlers to play(hurling)

I wouldnt say Michael Darragh has the finesse to play the game but I could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I wouldnt say Michael Darragh has the finesse to play the game but I could be wrong

You're correct of course, he's a far better baller, international actually!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There are players on the Dublin panel who have never played hurling at any sort of serious level. O'Callaghan and Connolly are the only genuine dual stars and it will be interesting to see if Connolly plays with Vincents this year as he got little game time last year.

They are both lads who would most likely excel at any team/ball sport they turned their hand to. A pretty rare phenomenon now in any county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah Costello, Killkenny, Con O'Callaghan - it is the great 'what if' of Dublin GAA.

Plus Shane Ryan/Dotsie O'Callaghan only went back to the hurlers when they were surplus to requirements for the footballers

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭davegilly

davegilly wrote: »
    When Kerry played Mayo in the league final I left Croker that day depressed. Kerry were destroyed that day, men against boys and I resigned myself to another year without an All Ireland.

However a week later I popped into Paddy Power and put €100 at 6/1 that Kerry would win the All Ireland. Why? Well thinking about the league final, that Kerry team that played Mayo were essentially kids. Kids that had managed to get to the final the first year of asking. They would learn loads from the game, being bullied by Mayo would stand to them and if they improved a little more then there was a chance, small and all as it was that they would go well over the summer.

And improve they have. Every game so far this year they have improved. Kept an improving Cork at bay. Thrashed Mayo. Didn't panic against Donegal to not lose. Came from 4 down to beat Tyrone by 3. With possibly more improvement to come?

Dublin are definitely on the way down, there is no doubt about that. I know they have hammered everyone this year again but it's taken longer each game to kill off teams. There are lots of things that weren't present also previously such as, not making a league final, being beaten a few times in the league, Cork and Meath walking through their defence, Mayo turning them over at ease (first half obviously ðŸ˜) and Connolly coming back.

All of this gives Kerry a chance on Sunday of turning over Dublin. Have Kerry progressed enough and Dublin regressed enough for this to happen? Who knows. I'm going to Croker more in hope than expectation. This Dublin team are in all likelihood either one of or the best team of all time. Kerry will need the performance of a lifetime to beat them. Kerry have scope for massive improvement which makes the odds of 1/6 for Dublin ridiculous in my opinion. It's probably a 65/35 game in Dublins favour which is a small enough gap to give Kerry hope.

My one fear is that I'm wrong about Dublin on the way down and they end up hammering Kerry. We'll know by 5pm on Sunday one way or another!

Well my one fear didn't materialise anyway!! And Kerry have scope for even more improvement!!!!!

On a side note - I just presumed my bet was finished as the game ended up a draw. However a friend of mine told me that the bet was in all likelihood still valid as I picked AI Winner and not game winner. Anyway, I checked and he was right BUT what I did notice was the odds. I didn't back them at 6/1 but 4/1. In MAY. They were 5/1 for the actual match itself. There must have been some amount of money on the Dubs for PP to price up like this.

Roll on Saturday week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Yeah Costello, Killkenny, Con O'Callaghan - it is the great 'what if' of Dublin GAA.

Plus Shane Ryan/Dotsie O'Callaghan only went back to the hurlers when they were surplus to requirements for the footballers

I think one of the Cuala forwards was a sub with the footballers earlier in the year-is that right?

I was told in the past that Bernard Brogan was a great hurler as well, by a plunketts man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

I think one of the Cuala forwards was a sub with the footballers earlier in the year-is that right?

I was told in the past that Bernard Brogan was a great hurler as well, by a plunketts man

Mark Schutte ?

Anyone see the Kerry Maor Úisce throw water over McMenamen near the end as he mad run along the line?

It's about three minutes into added time.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Anyone see the Kerry Maor Úisce throw water over McMenamen near the end as he mad run along the line?

Tramp.
    He didn't throw water. He squirted the water bottle at him and missed. Not one of his better ideas to be fair but I would imagine it was a spur of the moment thing.

Doesn't matter whether it was spur of the moment or not. Nor if he missed, if he did. He was interfering with play.

Tramp.
    He didn't throw water. He squirted the water bottle at him and missed. Not one of his better ideas to be fair but I would imagine it was a spur of the moment thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Hopefully Kevin Mc is OK and doesn’t rule him out of the replay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

munster87 wrote: »

At least it didnt give him the runs anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ddub11

Anyone know why the prematch parade did not go down the hill end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

munster87 wrote: »

Let's be Frank, if it was other way around Kerry fans would have had a petition up on facebook faster then you can say David Gough

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Let's be Frank, if it was other way around Kerry fans would have had a petition up on facebook faster then you can say David Gough

Yerra I don't know what all the fuss is about. Sure he was only trying to cool him down

It's all great gas when its someone else at the other end of the shennagains.

Fair play, only Kerry people thought Keneally boasting about taking out Nicholas Murphy was a bit of crack.

So what will the old Maor Uisce do the next time if he gets carried away - trip him up maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not so much Kerry fans but you could imagine the national media would launch a campaign alright. Probably end in a ban for the Dublin person.

They went bananas when Kennedy interfered at Nowlan Park earlier this year. Even though the ref had his back to play and there was no way Reids free was ever going to be allowed to be taken quickly.

Kev Mc got his own back acting the maggot with the keeper anyway. They all play the same when it comes to this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

John Toal, now there was an effective maor uisce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Had my post deleted suggesting the same. very hard to say anything contrary to Dublin football abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

It's all great gas when its someone else at the other end of the shennagains.

Fair play, only Kerry people thought Keneally boasting about taking out Nicholas Murphy was a bit of crack.

So what will the old Maor Uisce do the next time if he gets carried away - trip him up maybe?

3 days later and your still whinging about not getting the handy win most Dublin fans expected.

Your team underperformed and it’s all the refs fault and now the maor uisce for near attempted assault with water on Kevin Mc. Just laughable!!!

Not whinging. I was delighted with the way Dublin pulled the game out of the fire, dominated the last ten minutes and had chances to win. Most heroic performance since 1983,

I am merely correcting the record as the new campaign ramps up. Only saw the Kevin Mac incident today watching it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Not whinging. I was delighted with the way Dublin pulled the game out of the fire, dominated the last ten minutes and had chances to win. Most heroic performance since 1983,

I am merely correcting the record as the new campaign ramps up. Only saw the Kevin Mac incident today watching it again.

Fair play for merely correcting the record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Yes, should have been a free out.

Yes, should have been a free out.

Technically he should be banned from the sideline.

But DCB will not be prompting former Dublin players to turn this into a media circus ;)

Look, it could happen to a Bishop. Uncle of mine who was managing a minor team once hooked an opposition player on a solo run up the sideline in a county final :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Kerry had the game to win but hadnt the confidence to go for it. The replay will be won in the players heads not on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Edgware wrote: »
    Kerry had the game to win but hadnt the confidence to go for it. The replay will be won in the players heads not on the pitch
    That's gas because I won a load of county finals in my head and yet I've fúck all county medals in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

D'Agger wrote: »
    That's gas because I won a load of county finals in my head and yet I've fúck all county medals in my pocket.
    They dont give them to the lads selling the choc ices

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement