Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Final 2019.- Dublin V Kerry - Read Mod Note in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Donegal and Mayo have similar lengths to travel and they attend in massive numbers. Kerry supporters don't even attend Munster finals on their doorstep. But we're supposed to accept they're the most "football mad" county in All Ireland. Yeah right!

Attending intercounty matches is the sort of gauge of 'football madness' I would expect from the sort of person who knows **** all about the GAA.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Not as bad as Kerry though. Their attendances for Munster finals and All Ireland semi finals are embarrassing for the sport.

Its a 9-10 hour round trip for some Kerry fans to Croker.

Try it sometime and let us know how you get on.

I take it you live near Croker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

keane2097 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no interest in that thread, I was just replying to a post in this thread that was making a facile argument.

'If Kerry win Sunday it means the money makes no difference' is the level of discourse I would probably see if I eavesdropped on a conversation about the matter in a primary school this week.

But you are missing the context there are people on this very thread who assume that finances are the sole reason for Dublin's success.
    In doing so they do not wish to praise this Dublin team in any shape or form.
    The theory is fiances = inevitable success even in a sport like the GAA where there are no transfers of players! (bar the rare exception)

Also a narrow cohort of people are not willing to praise the intangibles of the Dublin team -

Natural athletes, high skill levels, organisational acumen, humility, mental strength etc.

Every great team has to have these they cannot be simply 'purchased'.
    You can't buy what Fenton has, O'Callaghan, Clifford, O'Shea, Moran.

Natural footballers are a gift to the game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Its a 9-10 hour round trip for some Kerry fans to Croker.

Try it sometime and let us know how you get on.

I take it you live near Croker?
    You seem to ignore my point they do not even attend Munster finals. I live 3 hours away from Croker. Its a 3 and a half hour drive from Killarney. Wouldn't do you lads lived in America and not a tiny island like here.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Attending intercounty matches is the sort of gauge of 'football madness' I would expect from the sort of person who knows **** all about the GAA.
    I was at 3 club matches at the weekend pal. Attending county matches is something your lot wouldn't know much about.

Kerry GAA fans are funny , you hear a lot about them and never see them. I doubt we'll be hearing much from them after Sunday !

You seem to ignore my point they do not even attend Munster finals. I live 3 hours away from Croker. Its a 3 and a half hour drive from Killarney. Wouldn't do you lads lived in America and not a tiny island like here.

And how many times have you been to Croker this year?

In all fairness, Munster has hardly been competitive the last few years and even Munster finals in Cork can be a round trip of 3-4 hours for Kerry supporters.

With the Super8s, there's 7 or 8 games a year these days, and most of them outside Kerry. People are picking and choosing games.

You are either from Dublin or from a county that doesn't feature much in the championship and don't know the reality of fans from the western seaboard having to head all over the country to support their team and often for little reward or to be disrespected by the GAA with increased ticket prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I was at 3 club matches at the weekend pal. Attending county matches is something your lot wouldn't know much about.

Kerry GAA fans are a funny breed, you hear a lot about them and never see them. I doubt we'll be hearing much from them after Sunday when they take their beating!

For the record the idea of being considered a 'GAA fan' makes me shudder, but it's nice that we are pals! Who is looking after your club's U12s on Saturday morning when you are squeezing your belly into an undersized county jersey and heading for the train to Croker with your bag of cans :pac:

You'll probably hear loads of us crying on Sunday night, we're normally fairly noisy after a loss.

And how many times have you been to Croker this year?

In all fairness, Munster has hardly been competitive the last few years and even Munster finals in Cork can be a round trip of 3-4 hours.

With the Super8s, there's 7 or 8 games a year these days, and most of them outside Kerry. People are picking and choosing games.

You are either from Dublin or from a county that doesn't feature much in the championship and don't know the reality of fans from the western seaboard having to head all over the country to support their team and often for little reward or to be disrespected by the GAA with increased ticket prices.
    Round trip of 3 hours for a provincial final is no excuse. This isn't a new thing with Kerry because of prices or format. Its been the same for decades. How come Mayo and Donegal can travel in massive numbers and Kerry can't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Absolute runbish.

Point me to any Munster final in Killarney that's less than 90% full?

And Killarney 3.5hrs from Dublin? Maybe at 2am in morning when no guards are on duty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

spurshero wrote: »
    I love the way all the dubs on here think most people will be glued Sunday . It might be important to them in there drive for 5 which will soon be let’s go for 10 in a row . After Sunday they won’t have had a competitive game in 2018 or 2019 .most neutrals lost interest a long time ago including meself . When football becomes somewhat competive again I will look forward to that .

You've lost interest :(

But will you wach the match?

If its a no; then we wont be seeing any posts from you in relation to the match so? You wont have watched it so you want be able to comment right? Cool. Good luck :)

Or will you watch the match? Along with so many others here that state they have lost all interest and wont be watching, (or attending) any games anymore (boycotting i read once or twice :D) .... but.... yes you know the answer....they'll still watch it :pac:

The usual 'i've lost interest', 'not watching GAA anymore', 'think of the chidren', 'football is ruined', 'Grab All Association', (feel free to add more) lads will still be here come Sunday to have their say :D

Enjoy the match ;)

Slattsy wrote: »

If its a no; then we wont be seeing any posts from you in relation to the match so? You wont have watched it so you want be able to comment right? Cool. Good luck :)

Or will you watch the match? Along with so many others here that state they have lost all interest and wont be watching, (or attending) any games anymore (boycotting i read once or twice :D) .... but.... yes you know the answer....they'll still watch it :pac:

The usual 'i've lost interest', 'not watching GAA anymore', 'think of the chidren', 'football is ruined', 'Grab All Association', (feel free to add more) lads will still be here come Sunday to have their say :D

Enjoy the match ;)

In fairness he's not the only one. Its like a morgue in here with only Dublin posters trying and failing to drum up some hype. Most people myself included accept the final as a foregone conclusion and its hard to get interested in something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

In fairness he's not the only one. Its like a morgue in here with only Dublin posters trying and failing to drum up some hype. Most people myself included accept the final as a foregone conclusion and its hard to get interested in something like that.

True, must have been offered tickets on at least 5 occasions now for Sunday. Wouldn't waste my money

Dublin will win by at least 10 points

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mattyff

Dublin to win again..lets be honest the public/media have hopes Kerry will win..but this happens every year and Dublin just walk through them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Slattsy wrote: »

Enjoy the match ;)

Does this sound witty in your head? Or do you think you're scoring a slam dunk on the haters?

Most people posting in here are lovers of gaelic football. They're not enjoying something (the premier competition in the sport) that they love, and you love, in the same way they used to. It's not something to be delighted about.

I'd only love to be eagerly anticipating an all-Ireland final like I used to. At a family gathering last weekend, there wasn't one comment or thought raised on the senior All-Ireland football final. That's shocked me now that I've realised it. It sucks the way things are gone.

Nobody is trying to get one over on you by saying they don't have the same interest in the game this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

True, must have been offered tickets on at least 5 occasions now for Sunday. Wouldn't waste my money

Dublin will win by at least 10 points

I'll take a ticket off ya...

• Advertisement

yobr wrote: »

I dont have one. I refused them, plenty going around clubs in Dundalk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

yobr wrote: »

Football tickets for the all ireland final are going around Dundalk? Your having me on ive helped out 3 boardsies currently engaged in this convo last week with 2 hopefully looked after tomorrow also. Now i dont struggle for tickets but the fact they are plenty in dundalk, i find hard to believe.

Football tickets for the all ireland final are going around Dundalk? Your having me on ive helped out 3 boardsies currently engaged in this convo last week with 2 hopefully looked after tomorrow also. Now i dont struggle for tickets but the fact they are plenty in dundalk, i find hard to believe.

Ok are no tickets in Dundalk, I wasnt offered any tickets over the past week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Soccer clubs?

GAA clubs get two tickets each.

Are you saying Dundalk soccer club got five?

Ok are no tickets in Dundalk, I wasnt offered any tickets over the past week

Good honesty

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »

Soccer clubs?

Louth holds the monopoly

Soccer clubs?

Why would Dundalk Soccer club get tickets. I know my own club Dundalk Gaels, got 4 as they swapped their hurling tickets for football ones.

I was offered 1 of these on 2 occasions, Club sent mail out this morning to see did anyone want the last ticket

Soccer clubs?

Why would Dundalk Soccer club get tickets. I know my own club Dundalk Gaels, got 4 as they swapped their hurling tickets for football ones.

You cant "swap" your tickets if you pass on your allocation it goes to the County board. You dont swap from a lesser demand for a higher demand game. Seriously like

Soccer clubs?

I was offered 1 of these on 2 occasions, Club sent mail out this morning to see did anyone want the last ticket

So your club dont couldnt move 4 tickets for the AI final. Someone ban him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I assume the club will be sending them back to Croke Park because they will have no problem getting rid of them to Dublin, Kerry or indeed other counties.

Would they not even raffle them? Or swap them for a much sought after FAI cup final ticket? I could get you 60/70 of them. They can't give them away, as the saying goes.

I assume the club will be sending them back to Croke Park because they will have no problem getting rid of them to Dublin, Kerry or indeed other counties.

Would they not even raffle them? Or swap them for a much sought after FAI cup final ticket? I could get you 60/70 of them. They can't give them away, as the saying goes.

Ive taken calls from as far as kenmare away. No way has dundalk any tickets and if they do Clodagh and declan have plenty to answer for.

#neverhappened

Look lads, its not just that its a foregone conclusion.

Its impossible for the neutral to get invested in this Dublin team like they might have with previous teams such as Kerry team of the 70s and 80s. Micko was a loveable rogue for example as were several of the Kerry team.

This Dublin team is just bland and efficient. Cluxtons speech will be a rinse wash repeat of the previous 4, thanking everyone down to the tea lady. They're will be no departure from the script, no deviation, same old same old. No-one bursting into song or doing a jig. Gavin will talk about process and system and buy in etc etc.

There's nothing here for the neutral, nothing.

Well done Dublin, but lets not pretend the neutrals are excited. They aren't, no matter how hard Dubs try to drum up interest.

And most people strongly interested in GAA know its a foregone conclusion that Dublin will win.

You cant "swap" your tickets if you pass on your allocation it goes to the County board. You dont swap from a lesser demand for a higher demand game. Seriously like

Dundalk Gaels got 2 Hurling and 2 Football Tickets.

Pearse Og (Hurling Club) got 2 Hurling and 2 Football Tickets.

Dundalk Gaels gave Pearse Og their hurling tickets and Pearse Og gave Dundalk Gaels their football ones.

Happens every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Its impossible for the neutral to get invested in this Dublin team like they might have with previous teams such as Kerry team of the 70s and 80s. Micko was a loveable rogue for example as were several of the Kerry team.

This Dublin team is just bland and efficient. Cluxtons speech will be a rinse wash repeat of the previous 4, thanking everyone down to the tea lady. They're will be no departure from the script, no deviation, same old same old. No-one bursting into song or doing a jig. Gavin will talk about process and system and buy in etc etc.

Well done Dublin, but lets not pretend the neutrals are excited. They aren't, no matter how hard Dubs try to drum up interest.

And most people strongly interested in GAA know its a foregone conclusion that Dublin will win.

Someone's trying to rise the Dubs again!!!

I have to say, I'm excited about it. Probably won't get a ticket. If I did, I'd definately go. So, putting my hat in the mix if anyone like Dundalk man have a bounty of tickets availabel. Can't beat the buzz of All-Ireland day.

It may be interesting game, for a while anyway. I’m looking forward to seeing will Kerry try to do something a little more radical to get at Dublin – throw in Tommy Walsh into full forward and have the long ball. And Geaney, Clifford and Co to feed off. Will Stephen O’Brien’s running game draw fouls to keep Kerry ticking away at the scoreboard.
    Will Kerry go short or long and try to exert David Moran’s influence in the game.
    But most of all – what can they do to quieten the influence of Con O’Callaghan, Mannion and Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don’t think Dublin fans give 2 hoots.

I’m from Cork and while I’m lucky enough to remember 2 AI wins (89 barely remember) I would nearly give my left nut away to see this Bland Boring stuff from the Dubs come to Cork.

Are this Kerry team full of Characters? No they ain’t
    Are this Kerry team more exciting then Dublin?No they not.

Sport has moved on from the days of Characters and excitement and the jokes after these wins. It’s a win and win at all costs Brand now.

What’s the point in watching sport is if all you look forward to is the Speech. I appreciate the total revolution of the Goalkeeper that Cluxton has changed in the game way more then what he going to say in these stupid speeches.

I have to say, I'm excited about it. Probably won't get a ticket. If I did, I'd definately go. So, putting my hat in the mix if anyone like Dundalk man have a bounty of tickets availabel. Can't beat the buzz of All-Ireland day.

It may be interesting game, for a while anyway. I’m looking forward to seeing will Kerry try to do something a little more radical to get at Dublin – throw in Tommy Walsh into full forward and have the long ball. And Geaney, Clifford and Co to feed off. Will Stephen O’Brien’s running game draw fouls to keep Kerry ticking away at the scoreboard.
    Will Kerry go short or long and try to exert David Moran’s influence in the game.
    But most of all – what can they do to quieten the influence of Con O’Callaghan, Mannion and Kilkenny.

Its not about getting a rise out of anyone. Its pointing out why neutrals struggle to get interested.

Very interesting for Dubs, somewhat interesting for Kerry people. For everyone else, a minority maybe are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

I’m from Cork and while I’m lucky enough to remember 2 AI wins (89 barely remember) I would nearly give my left nut away to see this Bland Boring stuff from the Dubs come to Cork.

If you're from Cork, no need to give your left nut away to win an All Ireland. Just buy those left nuts from Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Seem to be very few tickets around Dublin so far this year.

blanch152 wrote: »

There was some online but there is a department commited to stopping it this year. But there is a few floating about in clubs. Thursday there will be a flurry like every year

Loads in Dundalk, get yourself up there.

spurshero wrote: »
    I love the way all the dubs on here think most people will be glued Sunday . It might be important to them in there drive for 5 which will soon be let’s go for 10 in a row . After Sunday they won’t have had a competitive game in 2018 or 2019 .most neutrals lost interest a long time ago including meself . When football becomes somewhat competive again I will look forward to that .

I'm looking forward to it anyway. As even as a neutral I would watch 99% of finals.
    I think I skipped the 2003 final.
    Didn't give a damn who won that one. An all ulster final!
    I was also not too fussed about the Kerry v Cork final in 07/09 I can remember half interest in those ones.

I sat down to watch the whole hurling final this year between Tipp and KK because it was a traditional final - turned out it was a not a great game.

It depends what you want as a neutral - some people like the traditional finals between the historic heavyweights.
    Others like a plucky underdog like Limerick v Galway in the hurling last year - I watch that as well properly - it had a novelty factor.

I remember when Kilkenny were going for five in a row in 2010 v Tipp there was added interest and element to it.
    There was a real buzz and tension in the air.
    It will be the same in this years football can Kerry stop the Dubs?

Offaly were the no-hopers back in 82. It was assumed all Kerry had to do was show up.
    We all know what happened.

In Sunday's final Kerry certainly have the firepower to trouble the Dublin back line - I think Kerry will need three goals though.
    I would have much preferred Tyrone because I believe they do not pose the threat Kerry pose.

Also I think it is a bit disingenuous to describe Dublin as bland and effienct - anyone who has watch Dublin live would not say that.
    Look at that 15 blitz Dublin gave Mayo in the last game.
    It was hardly dull was it?

I think some people seem to want things every way - if Dublin were in papers mouthing - saying how great they were - like in the Tommy Lyon's era - being 'characters'.
    Cossi on the front pages - or 92 when the Dubs were giving media stuff left right and centre.
    People rightly said it serves them right!
    Is it a few yahoo type stuff in Cluxton's speeches that people are looking for?
    I don't think Cluxton is the type of fella who is going to break into song.

Kevin Mc is the man for that...

Also when Dublin won in 2011 I think it was Philly McMahon Led a chant about the poshest back line in the world.

Fenton has Kerry origins his auld fella is from Kerry.

@4:52

So at least if Kerry do not win they can take some credit for Fenton and the Brogans...

Fenton has Kerry origins his auld fella is from Kerry.

So at least if Kerry do not win they can take some credit for Fenton and the Brogans...

I don't think they care to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I find it really funny that someone has tried to take the thread
    Away from discussing the final which is its title. Not surprising that the topic was re Dublin and how it is their fault their is a lack of interest here, it really is beyond boring now.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Away from discussing the final which is its title. Not surprising that the topic was re Dublin and how it is their fault their is a lack of interest here, it really is beyond boring now.

No-one has tried to take away anything.
    I've dropped in here for a look every few days.
    All I've seen is discussion about tickets mainly, even though there's another thread for that. Apart from that its been pretty dead.

Very little talk about the football.

So lets you and I change that.

How do you think both teams will line up? Walsh starting for Kerry, Connolly starting for Dublin? Where will it be won and lost? Who will win and by how much?

I don't think they care to be honest.

Ah there are always few comments about Kerry connections from Kerry supporters stuff like that.

Sure when Dublin win an AI first thing people do was list thier country origins!

Ciaran Killkenny is of Galway stock related to Oliie Kilkenny.
    There is always stuff like that said from supporters.

No-one has tried to take away anything.
    I've dropped in here for a look every few days.
    All I've seen is discussion about tickets mainly, even though there's another thread for that. Apart from that its been pretty dead.

Very little talk about the football.

So lets you and I change that.

How do you think both teams will line up? Walsh starting for Kerry, Connolly starting for Dublin? Where will it be won and lost? Who will win and by how much?

I would stay Walsh definitely starts for Kerry the obvious tactic lamp the ball into him.
    No way does Connolly start that is asking for trouble I think - more likely last 15/20 mins.

ArielAtom wrote: »

You would swear they are going to be giving away tickets for the final the way some people are talking... :D
    All doom and gloom Victor Meldrew stuff.

Ah there are always few comments about Kerry connections from Kerry supporters stuff like that.

Sure when Dublin win an AI first thing people do was list thier country origins!

Ciaran Killkenny is of Galway stock related to Oliie Kilkenny.
    There is always stuff like that said from supporters.

I've rarely seen or heard anything like that. In modern Ireland people move around a lot and every county has benefitted from this. Donegal have a few whose parents are from Mayo, Mayo have a few of Kerry stock, Mayo and Galway have overlaps.

But people rarely say ah sure he's a Kerry lad really or a Mayo lad.

He's from the county he plays with, and was born, reared and trained there.

• Advertisement

I've rarely seen or heard anything like that. In modern Ireland people move around a lot and every county has benefitted from this. Donegal have a few whose parents are from Mayo, Mayo have a few of Kerry stock, Mayo and Galway have overlaps often. But people rarely say ah sure he's a Kerry lad really or a Mayo lad. He's from the county he plays at, born, reared and trained there.

My auld fella always does it!
    Plenty like him do the same as well, saying sure his aunt is from xyz....

I am worried about that Peter Keane fella he has such a Kerry head on him - I think he will have some devious plan in store.

I would stay Walsh definitely starts for Kerry the obvious tactic lamp the ball into him.
    No way does Connolly start that is asking for trouble I think - more likely last 15/20 mins.

Yeh that tactic is as old as the hills and didn't work when Donaghy came up against the Dubs in recent times. Didn't work for AOS either. Its really such a waste of possession. You might kick it in 9 or 10 times and you might get at most a goal and a couple points if even. Just throwing away possession mostly.

Re Connolly, the guy has a short fuse as we know, so he might be lucky to get a few mins at the end.

If Bernard Brogan gets in the panel, he also might get a few mins of a swansong, and I'm 99% sure this is his last year.

Huge game for Clifford, and interesting to see if he rises to the occasion. Almost a free shot for him really though. If he doesn't do anything, people will still say he's young. He can't really lose.

Really, Dublin are miles ahead of Kerry. Kerry are still progressing and maybe in 2-3 years they might have a chance. Dublin by at least 6, realistically and it could go to 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

If Peter Keane think he can beat Dublin by lamping ball in to Walsh then I despair. I think he might come in during the second half and play the same role he did v Tyrone out nearer the middle.

If Kerry want to try a few direct balls Clifford and Geaney can win it over their head too but I really don’t think it’s going to be the cornerstone of the game plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

there was no problem with tickers when there was only 30 000 for there super 8 game v cork or for the less then half full leinster final .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement