Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Final 2019.- Dublin V Kerry - Read Mod Note in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Tom O’Sullivan also wrapped up Brennan completely, who was in very good form up to that. I thought our backs did very well overall that day.

Tom O`Sullivan had a good day on Jamie Brennan, but tbh I would not put too much store in that. Brennan played well in the Ulster semi final and final but after that his form dipped dramatically.
    In the first game of the Super 8`s at home to Meath he was poor as he was against Mayo in the last game of the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

charlie14 wrote: »
    Tom O`Sullivan had a good day on Jamie Brennan, but tbh I would not put too much store in that. Brennan played well in the Ulster semi final and final but after that his form dipped dramatically.
    In the first game of the Super 8`s at home to Meath he was poor as he was against Mayo in the last game of the series.

I saw today that Tom has yet to concede a score to his direct opponent in the championship from corner back, and I think he has played every minute. Some going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Barry Cahill and Darran O'Sullivan we're on OTB earlier. Great listen, and mostly talking about 2011.

It was so refreshing to hear just how píssed off, for want of stronger phrase, DOS is about that game. Fascinating after all this time.
    Always was one of my favourite of Them'muns.

His description of the noise when Kevin Mc scored brought me right back to 305J on the day!

My favourite ever moment in Croker...

...until the 72nd minute!

Definitely worth catching on the podcast.

The giddiness is here!

COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

I saw today that Tom has yet to concede a score to his direct opponent in the championship from corner back, and I think he has played every minute. Some going.

He has at least 1-02 scored himself also

munster87 wrote: »
    He has at least 1-02 scored himself also

Nailed on All Star unless he gets destroyed on Sunday. Presumably he will pick up Mannion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fair dues to him, and I hope he can keep that going in the final. Keeping Mannion or Kilkenny quiet would go a long way to helping Kerry`s cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

That is well below what Dublin should have been getting though.
    It was a poor return - massive underachievement.

Meath got four AI's in that period and nine leinsters in that period - it is all relative that is massive over achievement for Meath

When Kerry had thier 'famine' 86-97 was viewed as an eternity being without Sam. They expect to win 2-3 AI's a decade.
    I can see this current Kerry team getting 3-5 AI's by the next decade and it will be viewed as 'sure that is what Kerry expects'
    Why should Dublin be getting more then that?

Dublins drought especially in Leinster made the GAA more exciting then it ever was. Both for Dubs and non Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Why should Dublin be getting more then that?

Dublins drought especially in Leinster made the GAA more exciting then it ever was. Both for Dubs and non Dubs.

I am not saying it wasn't exciting - for neutrals in particular .
    But jayus losing to Westmeath in a Leinster QF in 2004 with no decent freetaker - Paddy Christie taking frees.
    That was the bottom of the barrel.
    There was no way Dublin should have fallen that low.
    Something went seriously wrong somewhere.

It is world of difference to now there are actually 'footballers' all over the Dublin team.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

While the build-up is subdued, probably due to the inevitability of the winner you would think, I can't remember the last AI final where the potential match-ups are so intriguing.

The aforementioned Tom O'Sullivan will obviously be designated to mark one of the danger-men. But who? Mannion seems likely, but Con is maybe even more dynamic in terms of producing something out of nothing. But who picks up him then? Jason Foley surely won't be left as exposed (dodgy water bottle or not :D) again, and Shane Enright has shown before that he is a tigerish marker.

How do Kerry get the best out of Paul Murphy? Do they play him as a sweeper or give him a free-role around the middle third A.L.A Ryan McHugh. Will he be detailed to pick up Kilkenny? The pace of White should be used as an attacking outlet.

At the other end, Brian Howard vs. O'Brien? Who takes Clifford? Small and Cooper seem to be the go-to men when it come to man-marking, but could Kerry end up "occupying" O'Sullivan to negate his sweeping (if he starts). Perhaps Paul Murphy will be used in this regard. Geaney is back in form too, while Walsh remains an interesting option to bring on to win primary ball.

That's not even mentioning Moran vs Fenton.

Have talked myself into looking forward to it immensely now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Who will pick up Clifford, Geaney, Seanie Shea and Stephen O Brien?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Like it can be argued with justification that Dublin haven't played a team with such firepower in a final during this era.

2011: end of the era for most of the Kerry team. Won an All-Ireland with a fresh crop in 2014

2015: Kerry were reigning champions, but they seem to have more potent attackers now.

Last year vs Tyrone. It was known beforehand that reactive Tyrone's set up wouldn't score enough to win.

Mayo's lack of spread of scoring forwards is well known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Perhaps but Mayo 2013-17 were far better defensively than the current Kerry side.

Mayo also scored 1-16 in 2017 final which is one the highest scores ever by a losing side in an AI final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Like it can be argued with justification that Dublin haven't played a team with such firepower in a final during this era.

2011: end of the era for most of the Kerry team. Won an All-Ireland with a fresh crop in 2014

2015: Kerry were reigning champions, but they seem to have more potent attackers now.

Last year vs Tyrone. It was known beforehand that reactive Tyrone's set up wouldn't score enough to win.

Mayo's lack of spread of scoring forwards is well known.

No argument. Their forwards certainly the best we've face.

The flip side is, i'd argue their midfield (though i rate Moran) but certainly their defence the worst we've played.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Perhaps but Mayo 2013-17 were far better defensively than the current Kerry side.

Mayo also scored 1-16 in 2017 final which is one the highest scores ever by a losing side in an AI final.

Obviously haven’t played Dublin defence yet, but only one team have held Kerry to less than 1-16 in championship this year...Clare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Kickouts are still the difference maker. Shane Ryan has not done too badly but has a lot still to learn.

Cluxton is still the king, I'd give him Footballer of the Year if Dublin win on Sunday. It would be sicker if he retired without winning it after lifting Sam five times in a row than it was Gooch not winning one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

This game is set up for Kerry. They will beat Dublin. I can see Dublin not turning up and thats a high possibility. Kerry will know they can beat Dublin. I think it could go all wrong for Dublin on Sunday and that will be the end of the reign supreme team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Seadin wrote: »
    This game is set up for Kerry. They will beat Dublin. I can see Dublin not turning up and thats a high possibility. Kerry will know they can beat Dublin. I think it could go all wrong for Dublin on Sunday and that will be the end of the reign supreme team.

On what foundations are you basing any of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Must be drinking.

Dublin will win easily.

thelad95 wrote: »
    On what foundations are you basing any of that?

History and doing the 5 in a row.

Dublin will have to be exceptional to win this. I dont think they are miles better than kerry which will be a worry for them. I remember coming up to 2013 semi final and everyone saying it would be a cakewalk for Dublin. Dublin got going late that day and were nearly beaten. More of the same in 2019 but Kerry have a dangerous forward line this time around and have a great reason to motivate them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Seadin wrote: »
    Why is it a "high possibility that Dublin will not turn up" ? We've seen nothing to suggest such a thing. I'm not impressed by this Kerry team particularly at the back. Dublin will hammer them by 10+ points in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Looking forward to the final. Nerves getting going now.

Will hit the road at 07.30 and hope to get both matches.

Best of luck to the Kerry team, been a year of progress already and who knows what will happen on Sunday. The nature of sport means we can live in hope anyway.

One thing's for sure, it's great to be back in a final and have all the excitement that goes with it.

Safe travels to all attending.

CIARRAÍ ABÚ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Close game i feel. Usually confident with this team but i've no doubt Dublin will have to scrape Kerry off the pitch if they are to win. 35 games in a row. Please god we we make it 36 but i'm a little worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭davegilly

When Kerry played Mayo in the league final I left Croker that day depressed. Kerry were destroyed that day, men against boys and I resigned myself to another year without an All Ireland.

However a week later I popped into Paddy Power and put €100 at 6/1 that Kerry would win the All Ireland. Why? Well thinking about the league final, that Kerry team that played Mayo were essentially kids. Kids that had managed to get to the final the first year of asking. They would learn loads from the game, being bullied by Mayo would stand to them and if they improved a little more then there was a chance, small and all as it was that they would go well over the summer.

And improve they have. Every game so far this year they have improved. Kept an improving Cork at bay. Thrashed Mayo. Didn't panic against Donegal to not lose. Came from 4 down to beat Tyrone by 3. With possibly more improvement to come?

Dublin are definitely on the way down, there is no doubt about that. I know they have hammered everyone this year again but it's taken longer each game to kill off teams. There are lots of things that weren't present also previously such as, not making a league final, being beaten a few times in the league, Cork and Meath walking through their defence, Mayo turning them over at ease (first half obviously ðŸ˜) and Connolly coming back.

All of this gives Kerry a chance on Sunday of turning over Dublin. Have Kerry progressed enough and Dublin regressed enough for this to happen? Who knows. I'm going to Croker more in hope than expectation. This Dublin team are in all likelihood either one of or the best team of all time. Kerry will need the performance of a lifetime to beat them. Kerry have scope for massive improvement which makes the odds of 1/6 for Dublin ridiculous in my opinion. It's probably a 65/35 game in Dublins favour which is a small enough gap to give Kerry hope.

My one fear is that I'm wrong about Dublin on the way down and they end up hammering Kerry. We'll know by 5pm on Sunday one way or another!

davegilly wrote: »

Dublin are definitely on the way down, there is no doubt about that.

My one fear is that I'm wrong about Dublin on the way down and they end up hammering Kerry.

So there is doubt it seems!

When Kerry played Mayo in the league final I left Croker that day depressed. Kerry were destroyed that day, men against boys and I resigned myself to another year without an All Ireland.

However a week later I popped into Paddy Power and put €100 at 6/1 that Kerry would win the All Ireland. Why? Well thinking about the league final, that Kerry team that played Mayo were essentially kids. Kids that had managed to get to the final the first year of asking. They would learn loads from the game, being bullied by Mayo would stand to them and if they improved a little more then there was a chance, small and all as it was that they would go well over the summer.

And improve they have. Every game so far this year they have improved. Kept an improving Cork at bay. Thrashed Mayo. Didn't panic against Donegal to not lose. Came from 4 down to beat Tyrone by 3. With possibly more improvement to come?

Dublin are definitely on the way down, there is no doubt about that. I know they have hammered everyone this year again but it's taken longer each game to kill off teams. There are lots of things that weren't present also previously such as, not making a league final, being beaten a few times in the league, Cork and Meath walking through their defence, Mayo turning them over at ease (first half obviously ðŸ˜) and Connolly coming back.

All of this gives Kerry a chance on Sunday of turning over Dublin. Have Kerry progressed enough and Dublin regressed enough for this to happen? Who knows. I'm going to Croker more in hope than expectation. This Dublin team are in all likelihood either one of or the best team of all time. Kerry will need the performance of a lifetime to beat them. Kerry have scope for massive improvement which makes the odds of 1/6 for Dublin ridiculous in my opinion. It's probably a 65/35 game in Dublins favour which is a small enough gap to give Kerry hope.

My one fear is that I'm wrong about Dublin on the way down and they end up hammering Kerry. We'll know by 5pm on Sunday one way or another!

And you were going so well until that last paragraph.

munster87 wrote: »
    So there is doubt it seems!
    LOL, so it seems :)
    I'm sure you know what I mean though!

Slattsy wrote: »
    And you were going so well until that last paragraph.
    I know. That's the fear the Dubs put into people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ticket secured. Bring em on. Up the kingdom.

• Advertisement

Why is it a "high possibility that Dublin will not turn up" ? We've seen nothing to suggest such a thing. I'm not impressed by this Kerry team particularly at the back. Dublin will hammer them by 10+ points in my opinion.

You obviously dont know how dangerous Kerry can be in football history when they are written off. Just be aware. I can guarantee you Dublin wont hammer them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think Kerry are the best team that Dublin will have faced this year.

However, I think this year is peak Dublin and they will win this one, maybe not comfortably, but they will do it. Next year, they will be on the way down and much more vulnerable. Again, like you, I could be wrong.

blanch152 wrote: »

However, I think this year is peak Dublin and they will win this one, maybe not comfortably, but they will do it. Next year, they will be on the way down and much more vulnerable. Again, like you, I could be wrong.

In a nutshell this is the way I'm thinking. Dublin are simply too experienced, too well coached and too well prepared to get caught by Kerry on Sunday on the evidence to date.

If Dublin have an off-day and Kerry play to their full potential for the entire 80 minutes then Kerry have a decent chance but I cant see this happen unfortunately from our perspective.

I think Dublin will go out to try win this game in the first 15 minutes. Play into the Hill, go for goals and dont give Kerry a sniff. If the game is close with 15 minutes to go, the greatest test of Dublins composure and game management to date will come into play. But to be fair to them, they have always come up trumps in this regard.

If as expected Dublin win on Sunday, I will silently say well done to the players as they are a great bunch of players. I wont be as gracious to the Dublin supporters however;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Kerry found it tough enough against Donegal and Tyrone, two fairly average teams with the benefit of hindsight. They also found it tough enough against Cork, who are division 3 although improving.

I don't think you can take much from the Mayo and Meath matches.

I think Kerry are improving and heading in the right direction, but this year might be a few years too early for them. I'd worry for someone like David Moran's legs in the second half when Fenton might clean him. I'm not convinced Tommy Walsh will bring anything special either.

Kerry could bang home 3 goals and maybe 15 points and still get beaten comfortably. This could easily end up a shoot out between the two forward lines. But Dublin always have a few more gears.

As for Dublin being on the way down, there's no evidence for that and if anything they are still rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Kerry found it tough enough against Donegal and Tyrone, two fairly average teams with the benefit of hindsight. They also found it tough enough against Cork, who are division 3 although improving.
    Ah come on now, this is ridiculous. Tyrone and Donegal are not average teams, and its facetious to call Cork a division 3 side - while they're headed to division 3 next year of course, that does not negate their positive performances against Kerry in the Munster final, Laois in the qualifiers, Tyrone in the super 8's and for a good hour against Dublin.

Dublin are without doubt better than all of the above, but for gods sake man not every team that isn't Dublin are an average team. You're selling a number of county's very short.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

moghrasa wrote: »
    Ah come on now, this is ridiculous. Tyrone and Donegal are not average teams, and its facetious to call Cork a division 3 side - while they're headed to division 3 next year of course, that does not negate their positive performances against Kerry in the Munster final, Laois in the qualifiers, Tyrone in the super 8's and for a good hour against Dublin.

Dublin are without doubt better than all of the above, but for gods sake man not every team that isn't Dublin are an average team. You're selling a number of county's very short.

Well maybe they are average when compared to Dublin. I think Donegal, Tyrone and Kerry are at a similar level. Donegal rely way too much on Michael Murphy in big games and McBrearty. When they have an off day, Donegal are in trouble as shown in Castlebar. Tyrone have been beaten by Dublin, Donegal and Kerry, so they are a bit behind all 3. Kerry have struggled against Cork, Donegal and Tyrone.

Dublin have comfortably beaten all they've met. I think they were surprised more than anything by Cork, but in the end had enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think while you are right, the good news for Kerry is that they are on an upward curve.

Also, a resurgent Cork helps them and helps the overall championship.

Whatever about peak Dublin, I think we've seen peak Tyrone and Donegal this year and last - its hard to see these teams improving dramatically from where they are.

In two years time, if Kerry push on and Dublin fall back, then i think we have an interesting finl (or semi).

I just dont think this year it happens, but you never know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

0 excitement in this for the neutrals. Who'd think there's a final on Sunday?

The only ones excited are Dub fans who want the 5 in a row. Kerry fans too of course I'm sure excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

0 excitement in this for the neutrals. Who'd think there's a final on Sunday?

The only ones excited are Dub fans who want the 5 in a row. Kerry fans too of course I'm sure excited.

There's zero neutrals watching this game.

How you could be possibly neutral with this final is beyond me?!?!

I think there could be a lot of Kerry-Dublin finals in the 20s.

Unless Cork get their act together and Mayo's youngsters turn out to be as good as the lads they are replacing, these 2 teams are likely to dominate the first half of the decade at least.

There's zero neutrals watching this game.

How you could be possibly neutral with this final is beyond me?!?!

I particularly enjoy the posts the start off with "I'm a neutral, but"..

They're my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

I think Donegal, Tyrone and Kerry are at a similar level. Donegal rely way too much on Michael Murphy in big games and McBrearty. When they have an off day, Donegal are in trouble as shown in Castlebar. Tyrone have been beaten by Dublin, Donegal and Kerry, so they are a bit behind all 3. Kerry have struggled against Cork, Donegal and Tyrone.

Dublin have comfortably beaten all they've met. I think they were surprised more than anything by Cork, but in the end had enough.
    Absolutely. They need to find strategies that don't rely on Murphy being super human, because he only has a few seasons left in him. The majority of the team that played in Castlebar are only in their second or third year in the championship, and really Donegal as a side have only been competing at the business end (or threatening too..) in 2018 and 2019, after a diabolical year in 2017. They absolutely have to learn from days like Castlebar but I don't think they're as far behind Kerry as people are letting on.

Yes Kerry struggled against them 3, but Dublin, bar a brief window in each of the games, struggled against Meath Mayo and Cork. It's unfair on Kerry to critcise them for their struggles but to imply Dublin have been faultless.

Especially after the draw, I'd consider the current Kerry and Donegal teams pretty even. Dublin have hardly played either side in the championship lately. They played Donegal last year, beating them by 5 in the first game of the super 8's, and Donegal have improved since then. Their last championship game against Kerry was the 2016 semi final, both teams have moved on greatly from that occasion also, so this weekend will be a huge insight into how far ahead of their nearest rivals Dublin really are. As you said, all 3 have beaten Tyrone; Donegal by 4, Kerry by 3 and Dublin by 6 (in last years final, that match in Omaha doesn't count!).
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think while you are right, the good news for Kerry is that they are on an upward curve.

Also, a resurgent Cork helps them and helps the overall championship.

Whatever about peak Dublin, I think we've seen peak Tyrone and Donegal this year and last - its hard to see these teams improving dramatically from where they are.

In two years time, if Kerry push on and Dublin fall back, then i think we have an interesting finl (or semi).

I just dont think this year it happens, but you never know.
    A lot of the Donegal players are deceptively young,

Shaun Patton at 23, Stephen McMenamin at 21, Eoghan Ban Gallagher at 23, McFadden Ferry about 21, Jason McGee and Michael Langan at 21/22, Niall O'Donnell is only about 21, Jamie Brennan is 22... even Ryan McHugh is only 25, with McBrearty being 26. I'd have said each of those players had solid seasons, but some may disagree.

Excluding Neil McGee and Michael Murphy the core of this team are in their early 20's. Michael Murphy Paddy McBrearty and Ryan McHugh are probably the only players at their peak, with McGrath and Neil McGee arguably on the decline from here on out.

How on earth can you say that they have peaked and won't improve?

BPKS wrote: »

Unless Cork get their act together and Mayo's youngsters turn out to be as good as the lads they are replacing, these 2 teams are likely to dominate the first half of the decade at least.

Donegal will get better over next few years as they have young squad and top class players to return like Mac Niallais.

Mayo by this time next year are probably looking at the retirements of Moran, Clarke, Higgins, Boyle, Seamus O'Shea and Barrett with Keegan, Aiden O' Shea, Kevin McLoughlin and Jason Doherty in their 30s by then.

Cork? Galway on paper have a much more impressive squad and players coming through from underage level. Cork did well to win under 20 this year but I doubt they get even close to Kerry in Munster had the old under 21 system been in place and O'Shea, DOC, Clifford etc lining out for Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Slattsy wrote: »
    I particularly enjoy the posts the start off with "I'm a neutral, but"..

They're my favourite.

It's pretty obvious that people mean that they are not from the counties involved nor have any significant ties with either county that would warrant the person to favour either county. But other factors will then butt in - in this case, the fact that many people want a change of winner, and then again, many non-Kerry and non-Dublin counties just don't like Kerry as they are seen as historically the strongest team in the GAA world and perceived as having a sense of arrogance. Each to their own. Nobody can watch a match for 70/80 minutes and not have any inclination of favoritism towards one of the teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

BPKS wrote: »

I see the 20s as having good teams from Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Meath and Kildare. Population, better organisation, coming youths and tradition will see to that.

The likes of Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan, Roscommon, Down, Cavan and to a lesser extent Galway rely on having an exceptional group at the same time together with an exceptional management. One or two of them will come through, but equally, it could be someone from the next rank below them (Laois, Offaly, Tipperary, Limerick) who could hit the jackpot of an exceptional group coming together.

So, the five I mention at the top, plus two others are likely to dominate the 2020s.

Tyrone and Mayo have far better organisational setups than Cork, Meath or Kildare. It would take more than a decade for those three to reach the professional setup Mayo and Tyrone employ. I think folks are getting a little too carried away with under 20 wins, a format we don't really know how successful it will be in having players step up to senior level.

You have to take account once again that Cork and Kildare would both likely have been blown away by Kerry last year and this were it the old format. The best under 20s at start of year declare for senior now whereas at under 21 some of the best players in the country at the time were lining out at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I had a gawk at the 2016 AI Semi-Final Highlights Dublin v Kerry.

Here is it for youse/ye.

Jayus there was some great scores in it.
    I have a feeling that Sunday is going to be just as good with those forward lines.

Was trying to think which six forwards you would pick from the two sides combined if you combined them.
    The all-star judges are going to have some headaches.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

FWIW my combined front six would be

Howard, Kilkenny, O’Brien
    Clifford, O’Callagan, Mannion

Sean O’Shea could slot in at 11 or 14 and not really weaken the team but I think the other four picks are locks

Hope we get a dry ball Sunday and lots of great scores. Weather ruined it in 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Front combined six:

Scully, Kilkenny, Howard, Mannion, Callaghan, Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 revelino70

As a Dub forever scarred by those Kerry teams of the 70s and 80s, I'll be a nervous wreck on Sunday. If Kerry start strong, they have the forwards to do what Dublin did to Mayo in that 10 minute spell of the SF. If they build up a healthy lead, they'll be cute enough to disrupt, delay and frustrate Dublin. Maybe start a row or two to slow the game down. There's a lot of talk about the Kerry forwards, but very little about Gavin White - he's well able to drive forward with the ball through the middle and cause a bit of panic. Stephen O'Brien will be crucial as well, he's nearly impossible to deal with this year, very like McManaman at his peak. The head says Dublin, the heart says mind out for those cute Kerry hoors ;) Here's to a game befitting a five in a row attempt anyway.... Up the Dubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I see the 20s as having good teams from Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Meath and Kildare. Population, better organisation, coming youths and tradition will see to that.

The likes of Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan, Roscommon, Down, Cavan and to a lesser extent Galway rely on having an exceptional group at the same time together with an exceptional management. One or two of them will come through, but equally, it could be someone from the next rank below them (Laois, Offaly, Tipperary, Limerick) who could hit the jackpot of an exceptional group coming together.

So, the five I mention at the top, plus two others are likely to dominate the 2020s.

Not sure exactly what have Meath, Kildare and Cork done to warrant being ahead of some of those other sides?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement