Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Final 2019.- Dublin V Kerry - Read Mod Note in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Front combined six:

Scully, Kilkenny, Howard, Mannion, Callaghan, Rock.

Great minds & all that Bonnie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Front combined six:

Scully, Kilkenny, Howard, Mannion, Callaghan, Rock.

I lol'd into my coffee at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Not sure exactly what have Meath, Kildare and Cork done to warrant being ahead of some of those other sides?
    They're not from Ulster or The Wesht is about the best I can come up with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

I find Kilkenny so over rated. He rarely ever kicks the ball. It's called football for a reason.

His trotting across the 45 soloing is not impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

As a Galway neutral - Is it me or is the buildup to this All Ireland very muted? I don't hear many people talking about it. I will absolutely watch it and I would go if I got a ticket.

As a Galway neutral - Is it me or is the buildup to this All Ireland very muted? I don't hear many people talking about it. I will absolutely watch it and I would go if I got a ticket.

Likewise.

All feels very routine for Dublin.

I find Kilkenny so over rated. He rarely ever kicks the ball. It's called football for a reason.

Ah no I cannot agree with that; he calms things down, constantly provides an option, dictates the play and especially the point of attack, brings other players into the attack, passes well, comes up with crucial scores, rarely wastes or loses possession etc. Absolutely vital cog in the Dublin machine. Kerry would love it if he did not play.

Ah no I cannot agree with that; he calms things down, constantly provides an option, dictates the play and especially the point of attack, brings other players into the attack, passes well, comes up with crucial scores, rarely wastes or loses possession etc. Absolutely vital cog in the Dublin machine. Kerry would love it if he did not play.
    When you look at the games in which Dublin have struggled, its usually because Kilkenny has been tied up (at least for a while). Notable example being Lee Keegan in 2017, or even a few weeks ago where Kilkenny sprung to life at half time. It is essential to keep him quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

moghrasa wrote: »
    When you look at the games in which Dublin have struggled, its usually because Kilkenny has been tied up (at least for a while). Notable example being Lee Keegan in 2017, or even a few weeks ago where Kilkenny sprung to life at half time. It is essential to keep him quiet.

Very good point. Mayo's relative success in curbing Dublin has been based on targeting Kilkenny. I don't mean that in a nasty way either. They are in your face, aggressive and smart.

I don't think Kerry have anything like that to be honest.

As for him not being a "footballer,2 hardly deserves a reply to be honest. Tony Hanahoe is generally regarded as a great player and I saw him in matches where he was key to Dublin winning - 1976 and 1977 v Kerry especially - where he played a very similar role to Kilkenny although ball was not held up as much then.

On one famous Dublin rout of a team I think in a league semi final, Hanahoe is alleged not to have touched the ball for about 40 minutes! just dragged the CHB out of the centre. Genius.

• Advertisement

I had a gawk at the 2016 AI Semi-Final Highlights Dublin v Kerry.

Here is it for youse/ye.

Jayus there was some great scores in it.
    I have a feeling that Sunday is going to be just as good with those forward lines.

Was trying to think which six forwards you would pick from the two sides combined if you combined them.
    The all-star judges are going to have some headaches.

Super game. Connolly point at the end was majestic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, you could be right, he only had 3 goal assists in the semi-final against Mayo, definitely a sign of an over-rated player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Calendar has destroyed the new championship

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Never been as lowkey. You wouldn't even know it was on if you were a neutral. I've heard more talk about Electric Picnic, local club championship and the Ireland Switzerland match next week. I suppose that is what happens if the result is a foregone conclusion. It's boring, the buzz and interest is gone. Sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Never been as lowkey. You wouldn't even know it was on if you were a neutral. I've heard more talk about Electric Picnic, local club championship and the Ireland Switzerland match next week. I suppose that is what happens if the result is a foregone conclusion. It's boring, the buzz and interest is gone. Sad to see.

Think this is overkill.

The 5 in a row thing is definitely of interest no matter what way you cut it.

I can remember plenty of crap football finals that I wouldnt have looked forward to with any interest.

This year isnt one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Get up the garden outta that !!!! what sport are you watching ? posting silly stuff like that :confused:

Ciaran Kilkenny is the player who runs the show for Dublin. He's the instigator of most attacks and a the link man in the attacks, and often enough he is the finisher too.

You watch as Kerry double mark him on Sunday to try to disrupt Dublin.

Fortunately I think Dublin have a plan B, where they can use others to play that role as well, if CK is swallowed up.

PS. Hand passing has always been there in football, in the past 20 years or so its become far more widely used ... as teams have cottoned on to the fact that the percentage success rate of a hand pass is much higher than a kick pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No talk about it at all around our place anyway but it's an All-Ireland final. You'll still end up watching it.

Show me a game where Dublin have struggled where other players were not tied up.

Fenton was nowhere in the first half v Mayo for example. Callaghan nowhere. Rock nowhere.

I just find Kilkenny one of the results of the style that is killing excitement in the game. He's admired for never losing possession. That shouldn't be encouraged to his extent. If you like that kind of thing go watch basketball. I wonder how many times himself and MDM have actually kicked a ball this year.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, you could be right, he only had 3 goal assists in the semi-final against Mayo, definitely a sign of an over-rated player.

And Bernard Brogan could have got a couple of goals in an all ireland quarter final and yet he's not even in the matchday squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Show me a game where Dublin have struggled where other players were not tied up.

Fenton was nowhere in the first half v Mayo for example. Callaghan nowhere. Rock nowhere.

I just find Kilkenny one of the results of the style that is killing excitement in the game. He's admired for never losing possession. That shouldn't be encouraged to his extent. If you like that kind of thing go watch basketball. I wonder how many times himself and MDM have actually kicked a ball this year.

Complete nonsense. From the Irish Times report of the Mayo semi-final.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/shock-and-awe-as-dublin-lay-waste-to-mayo-1.3983103

"The power and cool, accurate finishing behind Con O’Callaghan’s two goals and the majestic point-taking by Paul Mannion will feature in the highlights reel of this day in the years and decades to come. But Ciaran Kilkenny was the furnace throughout this period. His fingerprints were all over that 10-minute spell, when he seemed to both challenge for every breaking ball and then immediately turn playmaker. He caused havoc.

It was Kilkenny who played the through-ball for O’Callaghan’s first goal, Kilkenny who hit the Cuala man again with a free for his second that was less a kick than a drone missile strike and Kilkenny who drew half the Mayo defence onto him before squaring a hand pass to set up Niall Scully for another goal chance which went whistling over Rob Hennelly’s bar."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/shock-and-awe-as-dublin-lay-waste-to-mayo-1.3983103

"The power and cool, accurate finishing behind Con O’Callaghan’s two goals and the majestic point-taking by Paul Mannion will feature in the highlights reel of this day in the years and decades to come. But Ciaran Kilkenny was the furnace throughout this period. His fingerprints were all over that 10-minute spell, when he seemed to both challenge for every breaking ball and then immediately turn playmaker. He caused havoc.

It was Kilkenny who played the through-ball for O’Callaghan’s first goal, Kilkenny who hit the Cuala man again with a free for his second that was less a kick than a drone missile strike and Kilkenny who drew half the Mayo defence onto him before squaring a hand pass to set up Niall Scully for another goal chance which went whistling over Rob Hennelly’s bar."

I suppose Fenton catching clean ball from every kickout was nothing to do with it...and Fenton even got a goal himself!

And if you can pick a piece playing up CK, then I have some too.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/con-ocallaghan-pick-of-the-bunch-in-croke-park-heres-how-dublin-and-mayo-players-rated-in-semi-final-38392352.html

RATING: 7
    Brian Fenton: 9

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-v-mayo-player-ratings-4761082-Aug2019/

RATING: 7
    Fenton: 8

No one can tell me that if CK wasn't playing and Bernard Brogan was in his place Dublin wouldn't win.

• Advertisement

Well, no. If I were even to try and find such a game, it would imply that Dublin are a one man team with Kilkenny being the one man. Of course having Fenton etc tied up has a detrimental effect on their performance. I'm only pointing out that there is a correlation between Kilkenny being well marked and Dublins offence struggling as a symptom.

You could argue Fenton and O'Callaghan were nowhere in that first half partly because they didn't have the supply from Kilkenny. Surely it would be an argument in favour of him being a playmaker to point out that Con and Fenton were quiet in the first half, but once Kilkenny started getting the better of Mayo they magically spring into life and into the game? Food for thought.

What shouldn't be encouraged, ball retention? If that's the case you could always watch the Hurlers thump the ball away at any opportunity :P
    No one can tell me that if CK wasn't playing and Bernard Brogan was in his place Dublin wouldn't win.

Is anyone really trying to say that? The depth of Dublin's squad means that 1 player being swapped out won't harm them too much. You probably could have stuck Marty Morrissey in for James McCarthy and they'd have still found a way to win. Just because the result wouldn't have changed by taking a player out doesn't mean they're not a good player.

Well, no. If I were even to try and find such a game, it would imply that Dublin are a one man team with Kilkenny being the one man. Of course having Fenton etc tied up has a detrimental effect on their performance. I'm only pointing out that there is a correlation between Kilkenny being well marked and Dublins offence struggling as a symptom.

You could argue Fenton and O'Callaghan were nowhere in that first half partly because they didn't have the supply from Kilkenny. Surely it would be an argument in favour of him being a playmaker to point out that Con and Fenton were quiet in the first half, but once Kilkenny started getting the better of Mayo they magically spring into life and into the game? Food for thought.

What shouldn't be encouraged, ball retention? If that's the case you could always watch the Hurlers thump the ball away at any opportunity :P

As I have said, it's called football for a reason, not handball.

Nowadays it's all about being an athlete and running and handpassing it. The days of a centre half forward playmaking with clever balls into the corner forward are gone. The likes of Padraig Joyce, Dooher, McDonald, Gooch pulling strings are gone for now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

In fairness Mayo were buggered as they were against Kerry.

I can't think of a worse run of injuries for any team in recent years.

That they reached a semi final was an absolute miracle.

BTW I really wish they'd stop showing that point by Connolly in 2017 against Mayo.

He took at least 8 steps before his first hop and then 12 steps to make the kick...

Nowadays it's all about being an athlete and running and handpassing it. The days of a centre half forward playmaking with clever balls into the corner forward are gone. The likes of Padraig Joyce, Dooher, McDonald, Gooch pulling strings are gone for now.
    The English have a great game where you're only allowed to kick pass. I think they call it soccer, but I'll double check for you if you want.

Very true. It's like watching some warped version of basketball and rugby league. Becoming a no contact sport where players feign injury at the drop of a hat. Not surprised crowds are down.

Very true. It's like watching some warped version of basketball and rugby league. Becoming a no contact sport where players feign injury at the drop of a hat. Not surprised crowds are down.

That's another thing that's crept into it alright, the playacting.

Also have to add, I thought the GAA said they increased tickets by 10 euro because it's too messy with change and all that stuff so why have match programmes at an odd 7 euro???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not a Dublin fan, but I enjoy watching Kilkenny play. His tempo-setting and just general demenour on the ball is extraordinary- a bit like Xavi in that great Barcelona side. Okay, he may not be a "flashy" playmaker in the mould of Ja Fallon or Giles or even today's Seanie O'Shea, but Dublin are clearly a better side without him.

One thing I always have to remind myself is that he went to play Aussie Rules. I wonder how different the landscape would look today if he made it over there?

He's admired for never losing possession. That shouldn't be encouraged to his extent. If you like that kind of thing go watch basketball. r.

So he should be encouraged to lose possession.

You may have hit on something revolutionary there ……….

The rules in basketball by the way not exactly conducive to keeping possession for prolonged periods :)

• Advertisement

Dublin don't indulge in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Crept in? Where have you been the last 20 years? There have been lads clinging onto a defenders arm and throwing themselves to the ground since I was a kid. (And the refs have been buying it since then as well)

As an aside, while I understand how Kilkenny is effective I have to say I don't much like him. How can you admire a player whose first thought in every situation is to turn back and look for a pass behind him? Seriously, I would love to see the stats on how many times a game he checks his run and turns looking to pass it back rather than forward. Possession might be king but it ain't much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Car crash stuff, no wonder this forum has gone to the dogs. It should make for entertaining reading on Sunday, but i for one wont be checking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Looking forward to both games. Minor game will be interesting too. Hopefully weather holds up for both games

So he should be encouraged to lose possession.

You may have hit on something revolutionary there ……….

The rules in basketball by the way not exactly conducive to keeping possession for prolonged periods :)

To his extent. Please read my comments carefully.

I'd say there's rugby players who kick the ball more than Kilkenny.

Crept in? Where have you been the last 20 years? There have been lads clinging onto a defenders arm and throwing themselves to the ground since I was a kid. (And the refs have been buying it since then as well)

As an aside, while I understand how Kilkenny is effective I have to say I don't much like him. How can you admire a player whose first thought in every situation is to turn back and look for a pass behind him? Seriously, I would love to see the stats on how many times a game he checks his run and turns looking to pass it back rather than forward. Possession might be king but it ain't much fun.

The likes of McCann falling over....lads holding their face when there's nothing touched on their face.

OK I think we've done Kilkenny enough!

Is there anyone else we can talk about?

Dublin don't indulge in it.

True, they do not. Although I thought there was an essence of it of Cooper v Tyrone. Cooper was tackled around the shoulder and he made himself look like he was clothslined, legs went from under him. He got up right away and took the plaudits from commentators but he made it look like it was around the neck.

OK I think we've done Kilkenny enough!

Is there anyone else we can talk about?

Gatekeeping?

• Advertisement

To his extent. Please read my comments carefully.

I'd say there's rugby players who kick the ball more than Kilkenny.

I'd say there are gaelic footballers who perform more rugby tackles than rugby players.

Which is one of the reasons Gavin came up with the bizarre plan not to sportingly boot the ball into a space occupied by the whole of the other team.

Blanket defence has been discredited at a high level because of tactics pioneered by Dublin. One such tactic in which CK is pivotal is to hold up the ball when they all run back like headless chickens and dismantle them with patience.

Quite something to watch in fact.

Kilkenny would make a good Basketball player alright.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Car crash stuff, no wonder this forum has gone to the dogs. It should make for entertaining reading on Sunday, but i for one wont be checking in.
    Ah sure aren't Shamrock Rovers or some of them other Dublin pub teams playing this evening, you'll have a busy weekend..:D

Kilkenny would make a good Basketball player alright.

Probably. A lot of the modern gaelic fooballers would make good basketball players. I think a few have played at a high level in basketball.

Netflix, old chap. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here:

You are not a GAA fan. You are a soccer fan obsessed with British teams like "beloved Arsenal" and one of the Glasgow teams.

I would make a further surmise that you dislike Dublin and "the gah" because it is not wendyball.

Am I getting warm?

What county do you support anyway?

(ABD to use you soccer head terminology doesn't count.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Are Kerry people actually wasting their money going to this game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

If Kerry go down road of a turgid performance like the 1st half v Tyrone, it's done

If we their second half performance showing, they have a chance but Dublin just will have to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I might not be their biggest fan but they have not won what 37 All Irelands for nothing.

They always have a chance.

If any team will win easy it will be the Dubs but I dont think it will be stroll in park and expect Kerry to give them a battle. But that Dublin switch will come and I think it will be enough

But its Kerry

Probably not seeing as so little of them have attended the Championship so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Probably not seeing as so little of them have attended the Championship so far.

Did you come up with that joke yourself? It's good, original stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Did you come up with that joke yourself? It's good, original stuff

I hate it when I agree with you. This week of all weeks. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement