Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3-4 Nights Away - Suggestions?

• 12-08-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

So it will be a big birthday for OH next April and I want to take him away somewhere. We are not into bars but love great food (love getting the chance to eat at Michellin restaurants etc).
    Last year we went to Istanbul for 4 nights and we both loved it.... lots to do and see and gorgeous food.
    We have done the likes of London, Paris, Turin, Milan, Venice so am looking for something a bit 'different' . I was thinking Krakow would be great but thinking about it, it is quite a solemn / depressing (not the right word) trip and I'm not sure this time thats the kind of trip I want for OH and I.

Cuba would be absolutely ideal as OH has always wanted to go BUT the flight length makes it impossible.
    Preference would be to fly out of Shannon but can also do out of Dublin if needed.

Any recommendations??

Edited to add - it would need to be somewhere we can fly directly into and Preferably the airport being within a taxi journey distance of the destination

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’ve been hearing great things about Lisbon recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Northern Europe-Iceland or any of the Scandinavian countries.
    You don’t want to waste whole days traveling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Copenhagen is fantastic for a weekend lots to do and great places to eat

San Sebastian
    World famous for its restaurants & not too far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

Thanks all.
    We have done Lisbon before, albeit quite a while ago.
    I was looking at Northern Europe - do you have any particular suggestions??
    I'm going to look at Copenhagen - have you been?? Suggestions of things to do / see??
    San Sebastian looks gorgeous but I'm thinking might be best to go when its warmer - also the nearest airport is 40km away which is a bit offputting for this trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Only wrote: »
    Thanks all.
    I'm going to look at Copenhagen - have you been?? Suggestions of things to do / see??
    San Sebastian looks gorgeous but I'm thinking might be best to go when its warmer - also the nearest airport is 40km away which is a bit offputting for this trip.
    San Sebastián is great all year round. Less than an hour from Bilbao or Biarritz airport. I’ve mean there a dozen times and never had a bad weekend.

ted1 wrote: »
    San Sebastián is great all year round. Less than an hour from Bilbao or Biarritz airport. I’ve mean there a dozen times and never had a bad weekend.

Would you mind giving me a little more detail on things you have done there and how easy the transfers are please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Thanks all.

Copenhagen is lovely for a weekend but the hotels are a tad pricey. Travel is superb, good food and there is lots to do such as the Tivoli Gardens (make sure it's open) and Christiania. I'd also offer Luxembourg if you are looking for a nice, picturesque, relaxing spot. You can fly direct from Dublin with Luxair. You'll cover everything Luxembourg has to offer in a weekend. If you are going for a weekend, public transport is free there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Would you mind giving me a little more detail on things you have done there and how easy the transfers are please?

I’ve ran a marathon, got married, surfed, relaxed on the beach, explored all the nice restaurants, and pinxtos bars.

Transfers are easy there’s regular busses from both airports. The odd time I’ve gotten a taxi from Biarritz as there was others so we shared.

Bus from Bilbao is here: https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/coach/bilbao-san-sebastian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Myself and my OH spent a few nights in Vienna recently. It was beautiful, a gorgeous city. Very doable without the language. Fantastic train system, and very accessible.
    We didn’t do any of the operas, just walked a lot! Ate, drank and enjoyed each other’s company! I would highly recommend.

Montreaux in Switzerland is beautiful too and very accessible via train also. Another place I’d definitely go back to.

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

Yes habe been to copenhagen. Land in airport go downstairs to trains and 10 minutes late u in centre of city. Lots of old museums there and all within a15 minute walk. Bus tours will bring you around to see all touristy sites if thats what you after as well. We stayed in the cabinn city hitel which is across the road from the train station and also next to the amazing tivoli gardens. If you go definitely take the boat tour that will bring you round all the beautiful canals there

Also if going to copenhagen get a copenhagen card it gives you free travel on all public transport and free entry to most of the tourist places there as well so works out cheaper for you over the weekend

Thank you all so much - LOTS of Googleing to do on all the suggestions.

ted1 - sounds like you have had amazing trips and will be returning!!!

I have no doubt I will be back with more questions, in the meantime any more suggestions and information greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much - LOTS of Googleing to do on all the suggestions.

ted1 - sounds like you have had amazing trips and will be returning!!!

I have no doubt I will be back with more questions, in the meantime any more suggestions and information greatly appreciated.

Go to visitcopenhagen.com it is laid out in sections so is easy to find everything you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Just back from France and Belgium.... and all I can think of is Normandy!!! I want to live there now!!! Beautiful part of the world with lots to see and do.... beautiful chateaus, beautiful scenery.... loved it... might be an idea for u!

If interested in northern Europe, then maybe Tallinn? Cheaper than many Scandinavian / Nordic countries.
    It's a small little city, lovely old town area. You could also take a trip to Helsinki, it's 2 hours on a ferry.
    Riga is also another nice city, bit bigger than Tallinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fly to Bari
    Night or 2 in Alborebello and 2 in Lecce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Malta.

I've been there twice, and absolutely love it (outside of the touristy north side of Valetta). The old town is just gorgeous.

Once was in the company of someone with far more money than sense, and we dined and drank absolutely royally on fabulous foods and wines.

ETA - the post below mine prompted me to check, and there don't seem to be direct flights any more, so sorry about that! I flew direct with Ryanair, and assumed they were still going there from Dublin.

Still an amazing place though, with amazing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I'd suggest Budapest, flights direct outta Dublin or Cork. It's a lovely city with loads to do, plus it is really cheap there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Bilbao is a spot to consider. A real foodie city with lots of bars to pop in and out of for pintxos, with the Guggenheim museum and the San Mames football stadium where Athletic Bilbao play. You could watch a game there. All the players who play for the club have to be native to the Basque region. Very clean upmarket look about the city. Direct flights from Dublin. Airport is 9km to the city according to google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

+1 for Budapest

There are some resonably priced Michelin * restaurants there too IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

+1 for San Sebastian

Foodie Heaven both cheap and chearful pinxios and loads of Michelin restaurants

40 mins from Biaritz airport (small airport get through in no time) Bus direct to central bus station no more than 10/15 mins walk from old town and main beach area (Taxi rank outside)

Pinxio bar area of old town is easy to find your way round an an hour wondering should have your bearings.

Tends to be loads of festivals on here worth checking your dates. Was their end of July and stumbled across a wine festival (think taste of Dublin but getting €50 bottles at a €5 a glass followed by a jazz festival with jamie Cullum playing a free concert on the beach at 11.30pm-2am on a Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I like Cologne

Ryanair flight from Dublin Friday lunchtime and return Sunday evening

Pretty city with much to see and do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just to add to the Riga option, You also have Vilnius in Lithuania which is currently still a lot cheaper than Riga (both use €uro anyway). I visited Riga a few times and its really nice. (Ryanair & Air Baltic fly direct from Dublin).

I lived in Vilnius for about 2 years and it is a beautiful little city, the old town is full of restaurants and bars/clubs. Its small enough that you can walk it all without using busses/taxi's etc.. (Ryanair fly direct from Dublin, airport is 5-10 minutes in a taxi to city centre).

Things to see, you have the KGP Museum, Gediminas castle, The huge cathedral (opposite the Irish embassy) as well as lots and lots of amber shops/museums and a statue of the bust of Frank Zappa. They also have huge (huge, as in puts most of what we have to shame) shopping centres, some with ice rink's in the middle of them. Food is great everywhere I've eaten there (favourite restaurant would be the Irish owned Bistro 18). In the 2 years I was living there, we never once had or even seen any hassle from anyone, and that was going out 2-3 times a week, every week.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/lithuania/articles/20-must-visit-attractions-in-vilnius/

Before I was sent there for work, I was dreading it as I simply didn't know what to expect, but after I got there, my entire perception of the place had changed. A Must See.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Another vote for Budapest. Its been my favourite European city break to date, its such an underrated spot. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Agree with all the recommendations for Budapest, lovely spot, great food and really cheap in general.

I have a huge soft spot for Amsterdam but it isnt maybe for everyone, it can be a bit busy and bustly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Since you specifically mentioned Michelin star restaurants: Denia in Spain. An hour from either Valencia or Alicante airports.

For generally amazing food: Sicily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I would echo many of the suggestions here.

Copenhagen is a great city; pleasure to get around, interesting food options and plenty of attractions. Cons though are that it's pricey and can be on the quiet side for some people.

Vilnius surprised us when we went, excellent food options, cosy bars and tons of history. Really good value city. We went in winter and now want to go back in summer to experience a different side to it.

Porto and Lisbon are also lovely cities to visit, with some good food options, but it helps to do your research. The food hall in Lisbon is a must-see. Stay away from the tourist traps and try and eat in local establishments.

San Sebastien & Bilbao are on our shortlist of places to visit soon. Everyone I know who has been there has been very impressed and typically returns, always a good sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

We're doing a short trip to Marrakesh soon, its not a much further flight than the south of Spain and accommodation is seriously good value. Hoping to eat some wonderful foods and mooch around the Souk, as well as enjoy some warmer temperatures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'd also recommend Vienna. Plenty to do + see for a few days + great cafe culture where you can sit + relax for a few hours.

I have been to Krakow + really enjoyed it but it wouldn't be known as a place with expensive restaurants etc. It's a place that's very good value + yeah it would be mad to go + not see Auschwitz so that can be tough to visit.

Thank you all SO much for your recommendations and advice, I really appreciate it!!!
    It will take me a while to look half properly at all the places suggested ...
    when we went to Istanbul we didnt eat in Michellin restaurants but found a couple of absolutely fabulous restaurants - also we did a food tour and even with one of us being vegetarian (bordering vegan) it was just ideal.
    Weve done london a few times and some of the Michellin restaurants there are just fab!! BUT - London itself is not hugely appealing to us.

I mention the above just to give a feel for what we like.

We are by no means big spenders and are very happy with budget options also but we dont mind splurging if its 'worth it' iykwim..

I am going to go through all the suggestions and come back ...

Advertisement