Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films that were once loved that are now not considered great

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Loads of beloved 80s movies don’t really hold up now. One that does?

Lost boys.

It’s still brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Loads of beloved 80s movies don’t really hold up now. One that does?

Lost boys.

It’s still brilliant.

That holds up! It was voted here in the forum games as the best horror movie ever only last week! I actually don't think it was the best horror movie ever but it shows how much people still love the film :)

Tammy! wrote: »
    That holds up! It was voted here in the forum games as the best horror movie ever only last week! I actually don't think it was the best horror movie ever but it shows how much people still love the film :)

Was it?? That’s mad. Good to hear there’s love for it.
    I never considered it a horror. Tbh I’m not sure what kind of film category it belongs In at all haha!!

It’s an all time classic though. So much fun.

Was it?? That’s mad. Good to hear there’s love for it.
    I never considered it a horror. Tbh I’m not sure what kind of film category it belongs In at all haha!!

It's a coming of age, mildly erotic, comedy and drama movie with some horror thrown in. :)

I found this scene kind of scary when I was a kid...

There used to be a lot of early 90s movies that were quite mediocre but would have got a relatively big release, in that there would have been a trailer for the film in pretty much every video you rented (all with the same deep voice voiceover guy) and the local shop where you rented your videos would have a big poster of the film in the window.

Because of this you would nearly definitely see it and people would talk about it, even if it was just grand in reality.

Examples that spring to mind

The Man Without a Face
    A Walk in the Clouds

And a bunch of others I remembered the last day but I now forget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

banie01 wrote: »
    Leon.

Really enjoyed that movie in my youth, some standout performances and absolutely powerhouse acting from Oldman.
    Reno was fantastic too, but on rewatching it fairly recently I honestly felt very creeped out by the sexualisation of Natalie Portman.

The movie hasn't changed, but by feck my opinion of it has.

Gary Oldman, amazing actor.

"Get everyone."
    "Everyone?"
    "EVVVEEERRYYYY-OOOOOOOOOONNNNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Dades wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Those films spawned a thousand memes, and have far more rememberability than any recent spoof movies.

I watched the first one last week, it's still great fun.

I even think the third one which is widely considered a pretty poor film has some killer lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

banie01 wrote: »
    Leon.

Really enjoyed that movie in my youth, some standout performances and absolutely powerhouse acting from Oldman.
    Reno was fantastic too, but on rewatching it fairly recently I honestly felt very creeped out by the sexualisation of Natalie Portman.

The movie hasn't changed, but by feck my opinion of it has.

Luc Besson's a biiigggg ol creep.

From his wiki:
    Besson's second wife was actress and director Maïwenn Le Besco, who he started dating when he was 31 and she was 15.[25] They were married in late 1992 when Le Besco, 16, was pregnant with their daughter Shanna, who was born on 3 January 1993.[26] Le Besco later claimed that their relationship inspired Besson's film Léon (1994), where the plot involved the emotional relationship between an adult man and a 12-year-old girl.[25] Their marriage ended in 1997, when Besson became involved with actress Milla Jovovich during the filming of The Fifth Element (1997). He married the 22-year-old on 14 December 1997, at the age of 38, but they divorced in 1999.[27]

He's a real piece of ****.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Bzzz, can't agree with that. I watched them all recently and they hold up - in fact, watching them in the modern climate of blockbusters was eye opening; the trilogy's only 20 years old yet it's true to say they don't make 'em like that anymore.

There's definitely elements of it that feel dated, but that might just be because Jackson has a very mercurial sense of taste that swings between stirring drama and horrifying, maudlin garbage.

There's a few dutch angles, weird transitions, poor pieces of writing and that, but they're the exception rather than the rule, and they tend to happen between the important parts of the story, rather than in the middle of the climaxes, so they don't ruin anything.
    And half the ones I'm thinking of are probably only in the extended editions, which are the only versions I can now watch.

The charge of the Rohirrim, Helm's Deep, the Bridge of Khazad Dum and other parts of the films are completely timeless and will be talked about for centuries, IMO.

Gbear wrote: »
    Luc Besson's a biiigggg ol creep.

From his wiki:

He's a real piece of ****.

There's definitely elements of it that feel dated, but that might just be because Jackson has a very mercurial sense of taste that swings between stirring drama and horrifying, maudlin garbage.

There's a few dutch angles, weird transitions, poor pieces of writing and that, but they're the exception rather than the rule, and they tend to happen between the important parts of the story, rather than in the middle of the climaxes, so they don't ruin anything.
    And half the ones I'm thinking of are probably only in the extended editions, which are the only versions I can now watch.

The charge of the Rohirrim, Helm's Deep, the Bridge of Khazad Dum and other parts of the films are completely timeless and will be talked about for centuries, IMO.

The extended editions are the only way to fly. They’re amazing. Dammit you made me wanna watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

iamtony wrote: »
    I just remember the worst film I ever went back to that I had great memories of and it was Duncan McCloud of the clan McCloud. Highlander. Great film when I was young but convinced my missus she needed to see it and my god it was shocking.

Connor MacLeod. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Maya Hawke, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Manhunter from 1986. The very first Hannibal Lecter movie I believe. Good movie – and better then the much later remake “Red Dragon”. Really liked it when it came out. But on seeing again for the first time recently I was struck on how bloody awful the soundtrack is. All 80’s synth rubbish, overly loud and really distracts from the story and characters. At the time it was the style and so perhaps the audiences did not notice but by god the music is a real ear bleeder now. If ever a movie deserved to be reissued with different soundtrack it’s this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

I used to love Mortal Kombat and Highlander when I was a kid but they have aged pretty terribly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Back to the Future when it was released was absolutely mega. A huge hit and every kid was talking about it.

Also, that style of runner boots and gilet over the jacket became very popular as a result.

Pretty much forgotten now, compared to how big it was at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Try going back and watching the original Shrek. Really a great example of how much CGI has progressed in the last 20 years. It's incredibly jarring and the film is verging on unwatchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

no way, CGI may have advanced etc but Shrek will always be a classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    I used to love Mortal Kombat and Highlander when I was a kid but they have aged pretty terribly

Mortal Kombat is an amazing shout, I LOVED that film when it came out. Watched it a few years ago and my god it's almost as bad as street fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

silverharp wrote: »
    The lord of the rings movies? great at the time, I doubt you could pay me to watch them now

TBH, I think they're still great now. I was a big fan of the books as a teenager (before the movies came out) and kept my expectations low for the films. But I thought they were brilliant. Re-read the books a couple of months ago and, as I finished each book, re-watched the corresponding movie. My only complaints remain the same now as they were eighteen years ago: minor and unnecessary changes to the canon material and legendarium. As movies, they're still pretty breath-taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The king and i
    gone with the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

ziedth wrote: »
    Mortal Kombat is an amazing shout, I LOVED that film when it came out. Watched it a few years ago and my god it's almost as bad as street fighter.

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter was always B Class movies, I watched them and would watch them now but I never thought of them as loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Artist - Oscar winning silent movie that everyone raved about. haven't seen it pop up anywhere since. Not on a streaming service or on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The extended editions are the only way to fly. They’re amazing. Dammit you made me wanna watch them.
    Always want to watch them. To whoever added this to the thread.... not considered great my ass!
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Back to the Future when it was released was absolutely mega. A huge hit and every kid was talking about it.

Also, that style of runner boots and gilet over the jacket became very popular as a result.

Back to the Future is not forgotten about at all. It's considered one of the best family adventure movies ever. The sequels, less so maybe. But the first? 21.6 gigawatts of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Enemy of the State actually holds up fairly well, saw it a couple years ago and it's still watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yeah back to the future is if anything surprisingly well liked across the board still. The first one has also aged very well, the others maybe less so.

Erotic thrillers seem to have been taken seriously at some point but nowadays they're just a joke. I mean the only thing anyone remembers Basic Instinct for is Sharon Stone flashing Michael Douglas, yet it was well reviewed as "Hitchcockian" at the time.

The Devils Advocate was similarly well regarded but is just too 90s to have aged well so most people have shrugged it off as a cringey memory - see also Interview with a Vampire and Angel Heart.

The Hurt Locker was never really loved but for an Oscar Winner nobody really gives a toss about it anymore. Point Break is far more referenced in online film discussion and Detroit and Zero Dark Thirty tend to be better regarded. It's kind of like any Oscar Winner that gets the statue just because it appeals to the academy. The Artist was the same, and even La La Land (I know it didn't quite win) , much as I enjoyed it at the Cinema, was a serious let down on RTE last week.

Erotic Thrillers ^

Remember Slither?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Enemy of the State actually holds up fairly well, saw it a couple years ago and it's still watchable.

Was that a sequel to the conversation? still holds up tbh.

+1 on Leon, can't watch it now, far too creepy.

Isn't it just the Directors cut that brings the nonce vibes?

Back to the Future is not forgotten about at all. It's considered one of the best family adventure movies ever. The sequels, less so maybe. But the first? 21.6 gigawatts of fun.

I love BTTF2. I think they did a really good job fitting it in with 1 and also we had 2 recorded on video but not 1 so I watched 2 the most.
    CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The Devils Advocate was similarly well regarded but is just too 90s to have aged well so most people have shrugged it off as a cringey memory - see also Interview with a Vampire and Angel Heart.

They may have a 90's look to them alright which they would but I still think the stories in those movies were very good.

Star Wars Episode 1

Welcome Jar Jar Binks:

Adult Star Wars fans suddenly feel very awkward and an mature age - group for watching Star Wars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

You can easily loop in any film with retrograde cultural moments; so I'm thinking of things like Micky Rooney playing an "Asian" character in Breakfast At Tiffany's, or the earlier Bonds where Jimmy often forcibly pushed himself on women, despite their protests (heck, it also had "slitty eyes" characters itself, with Dr No and its titular villain). Movies like that you have to swallow those clunking missteps to still enjoy them.

Otherwise, pick any Oscar Best Picture winner of the last 90 odd years for a good candidate :D

Just reminded me of Biff Tannen, forcing himself on the future missus George McFly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Gremlins, so big at first. Now just silly

Can't agree with this. Loved it as a kid but then watched it for the first time as an adult last Christmas......... it was great it many more ways than I remembered as a kid.

It was funnier and MAN was it creepier & scarier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

Star Wars Episode 1

Welcome Jar Jar Binks:

Adult Star Wars fans suddenly feel very awkward and an mature age - group for watching Star Wars

Was always sh tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Lot's of 'worthy' Oscar bait movies don't age well. Scent of a Woman, The English Patient, Seven Years in Tibet etc.

Short Circuit movies

Police Academy movies haven't aged well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I wouldn't say so about BTTF - always have time for it when it's on and get a good kick out of it and I'd imagine plenty others do. Dated okay-ish, but still have time to indulge in the time-travelling hokum whenever it's on - usually at Christmas.

Of a similar feel, I think Ghostbusters fared much worse over the years. Definitely not as strong a franchise film as BTTF imo.

khalessi wrote: »
    The Karate Kid naff didnt hold up over the years

That is because everyone recognises that Daniel was the antagonist now.

silverharp wrote: »
    The lord of the rings movies? great at the time, I doubt you could pay me to watch them now

I am watching them all this week, Extended Edition of course

488305.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Four Weddings And A Funeral, mainly because Hugh Grant's aw shucks cuteness became cliched very soon afterwards, because Andie Mc Dowell's in it and also because Richard Curtis has been remaking basically the same movie ever since (haven't seen Yesterday)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I am watching them all this week, Extended Edition of course

Don't think that copy of "Venom" hasn't been spotted, hiding behind your fancy edition of LOTR ;)

cml387 wrote: »
    Four Weddings And A Funeral, mainly because Hugh Grant's aw shucks cuteness became cliched very soon afterwards, because Andie Mc Dowell's in it and also because Richard Curtis has been remaking basically the same movie ever since (haven't seen Yesterday)

I remember I hadn't seen it and Wet Wet Wet with the song for it were number 1 for about 3 years. I didn't see it until a couple of years later and thought 'wtf was that?' It's not even funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

El Duda wrote: »
    Erotic Thrillers ^

Remember Slither?
    Pretty sure you mean Sliver. :P

Those squidgy things in Slither weren't too sexy!

Don't think that copy of "Venom" hasn't been spotted, hiding behind your fancy edition of LOTR ;)

Got it cheap and love it TBH. Except you can see every single point of PG13 interference

Pretty sure you mean Sliver. :P

Those squidgy things in Slither weren't too sexy!

I'm so ****ing hungry, Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I haven't thought about or watched an Austin Powers film in years. Enjoyed them at the time. Will have to watch again and see what I think now.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective with Jim Carrey is another one people say that hasn't aged well that I also enjoyed then and have forgotten about/not watched for years.

Careful now ;)
    Its super duper transpobic....
    I'd certainly give Einhorn a blast tho! I bloody love Sean Young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It is really not forgotten.

Someone says the first one was better than the rest. In fact 1 & 2 are like one long movie and the second one is fairly clever - any time travel where the traveller interacts (or tries not to interact) with an older version of the story we have already seen is hard to pull off but they did it and it was fun.

3 was good too, if really just a western.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Rambo: first blood. Watched this a couple of months ago, my god soooo boring. It would be straight to dvd/television type of movie if released today.

Rambo is pretty good, there is a little bit of a story and lots action. It's a very enjoyable flick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭circadian

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Rambo is pretty good, there is a little bit of a story and lots action. It's a very enjoyable flick

Fun fact, the body count in Rambo is 1. The guy that fell out of the helicopter and that was largely accidental on Rambos part.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I found First Blood aka the first Rambo film good and explored the poor treatment of soldiers after coming back from Vietnam by their own country very well.
    It's on UTV tonight 22:45

A strange aside but do we have a thread for that weird occurance of 80s movies having both a soundtrack and a single?
    Can we rank them?

Ghostbusters-
    Power of love - Huey Lewis and the news for back to the future
    Footloose
    Top gun
    And on and on.

So many 80s films weirdly had a single. Almost all of Them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A strange aside but do we have a thread for that weird occurance of 80s movies having both a soundtrack and a single?
    Can we rank them?

Ghostbusters-

Ghostbusters- Huey Lewis and the news for I Want A New Drug , the tune that Ray Parker Junior copied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Can we rank them?

Ghostbusters-
    Footloose
    Top gun
    And on and on.

So many 80s films weirdly had a single. Almost all of Them.

honerable mention for Beverly Hills Cop, Breakfast Club, Ferris Beuller....good times!

good marketing i guess pre internet

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement