Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent rattle...

Options
  • 12-08-2019 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Every now and then while out on a spin a rattle/creaking noise comes from the drivetrain area. It's doing my head in. It only happens when I'm pedaling. Since it's intermittent I'm finding it hard to find the cause. I do find however after I give the bike a good de-grease, clean and lube the noise may go away for a while.
    Yesterday on the cycle it kicked off again but thankfully fecked off for the majority of the cycle.
    I was wondering was it bearings in the bottom bracket? If the BB was fecked or needed greasing would the problem not be persistent as opposed to intermittent?

Bike is 6 years old, certainly not massive miles on it (original brake cables & bar tape..that's how little). Bike is kept indoors and is well maintained in terms of cleaning, chain care etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Check the spokes. Does it happen in certain gears only?

If it were the BB, not only would it be consistent, it'd get worse in time. If you can get your hands on another wheelset, to try to narrow down the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Check the spokes. Does it happen in certain gears only?

If it were the BB, not only would it be consistent, it'd get worse in time. If you can get your hands on another wheelset, to try to narrow down the problem...

well the wheels are fairly new (Fulcrum Racing 5), I bought them along with new chain and cassette about 18 months ago and they don't have many miles on them. I presumed drivetrain because the noise only happens when pedaling.

Does it happen in certain gears only? - not quite but it's more evident in some gears over others, louder perhaps but that's not guaranteed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

So it only happens when pedalling............

My guess is saddle rails / seatpost / some part of saddle creaking.
    See if it's there when pedalling while out of the saddle and that'll confirm or disprove the saddle theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Water got into the threads of the BB cups. Remove them, clean them, re-grease the threads and re-install.

Failing that, new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Could be the pedals. I had a creaking sound from what I thought was around the crank area. I changed pedals on it and the noise is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

My money is on the pedals too, take them off, grease the threads, should be good then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

nice one, thanks folks. I'll do the pedals first and progress to BB if that fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The life of the cyclist is just a series of rattles, noises and creaks.....think of the euphoria when you do solve it...

Chainring bolts possibly, intermittent noise from changes in torque

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

also could be cracked bottle cage

Advertisement