Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting my own domain

Options
  • 12-08-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have some low traffic domains + hosting that I'm paying for, and I'd like to move them to a raspberry pi on my own internal network.

I have dynamic DNS setup via my router so I've copied the sites to my pi, and I can access the copies of the sites no problem via that URL, so now just need to forward the actual domain names to the dynamic URL.

How do I go about doing this? Is it something I can do myself or do I have to contact the host and tell them I'm cancelling the hosting but keeping the domains, and ask them to forward them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

To strictly address your question, I'm going to start with some assumptions:

1. Your domains and hosting are with the same provider.
    2. You have setup a dynamic dns domain-name which resolves to your public IP, and your router keeps that updated when the IP changes.
    3. You have the ability to edit the records for your 'static' domains.

Supposing you've got example.com but want to point that now to your Raspberry Pi and your router has the dynamic dns name: the-b-man.example.net then what you need to is add a CNAME record for 'example.com' with the value 'the-b-man.example.net'.

You should be able to cancel the site hosting without cancelling the domain hosting, but I would wait until you are confident you have it setup and working before doing so.

Advertisement