Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusing to issue non contactless Debit Cards?

Options
  • 13-08-2019 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I want to inquire as to whether Bank of Ireland are no longer issuing non contactless Debit Cards? Both myself and my sister ordered new Debit Cards in the past few weeks. She done it by phone and I ordered mine in person in a BOI branch. In both cases we were very clear that we wanted non contactless Debit Cards and we were told that it would be no problem. I even went so far as to explain why I wanted a non contactless card to the person I dealt with. However when her card arrived last week and mine yesterday we were annoyed as we realise we had been sent cards with contactless capabilities regardless of our requests. Is this a new policy to refuse to issue non contactless Debit Cards to your customers or were these two unfortunate mistakes? Is there any way I can obtain a non contactless card because I have no intention of activating the card I have been sent? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Not helpful to your situation but out of curiosity why would you not want a contactless card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stephierose

Not helpful to your situation but out of curiosity why would you not want a contactless card?
    I don't like the idea that I could forget my card somewhere or drop it on the street and someone can pick it up and buy whatever they want so long as its under 30 euro. Also I've read quite a few articles that highlight some serious flaws with contactless cards in regards to security. 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't like the idea that I could forget my card somewhere or drop it on the street and someone can pick it up and buy whatever they want so long as its under 30 euro. Also I've read quite a few articles that highlight some serious flaws with contactless cards in regards to security. 

You know you can ask for the feature to be deactivated. Just because the card has it.

Doesn't mean you have to have the feature on.

Ask to disable it.

Simple.

Also you need a pin after specific amount of contactless withdrawal I think it's 3. Read more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

You can deactivate the feature at your Banks ATMs too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is it possible that they have disabled the feature for you? So the card looks contactless but really it's not enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even if it easy to set the card as non-contactless, it should have been explained to the OP at this point what the process is for doing so:
    "I ordered mine in person in a BOI branch. In both cases we were very clear that we wanted non contactless Debit Cards and we were told that it would be no problem."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Is there any way I can obtain a non contactless card because I have no intention of activating the card I have been sent? 

So you haven't activated your card and you are stating quite categorically that contactless is a feature?

How did you acertain that?

We've company credit cards. They have the contactless symbol on it, but it's been disabled as a policy.

I also don't understand your security concerns. If a card is lost or stolen, then the bank will refund any incorrect transactions.

Considering that almost every shop has cctv at till points, it would need to be a really stupid thief to physically use the card.

As for the other concerns, I guess you read it online or in some tabloid that writess bull.

Darc19 wrote: »
    So you haven't activated your card and you are stating quite categorically that contactless is a feature?

How did you acertain that?

We've company credit cards. They have the contactless symbol on it, but it's been disabled as a policy.

I also don't understand your security concerns. If a card is lost or stolen, then the bank will refund any incorrect transactions.

Considering that almost every shop has cctv at till points, it would need to be a really stupid thief to physically use the card.

As for the other concerns, I guess you read it online or in some tabloid that writess bull.

Bit harsh on the poster, it's their business how they want to manage their Bank account and they do have a valid point about contactless and yes there are many thieves who do go on spending sprees with contactless cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Assuming you get a Garda to do a proper job and get the CCTV before it is wiped. Not a foregone conclusion.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

thelad95 wrote: »
    Bit harsh on the poster, it's their business how they want to manage their Bank account and they do have a valid point about contactless and yes there are many thieves who do go on spending sprees with contactless cards.

Not harsh at all. The op has jumped down the throat of BOI without even a test of the card or even making a simple phone call to check.

Surely someone should check if the issue they have actually exists in the first place before ranting?

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    Not harsh at all. The op has jumped down the throat of BOI without even a test of the card or even making a simple phone call to check.

Surely someone should check if the issue they have actually exists in the first place before ranting?

BOI should have mentioned that the card may still appear as a contactless one. It sounds as if the customer was under the impression they were getting an old fashioned style card.

Also, a few people here have jumped to the defense of BOI without any indication that there hasn't also been an administrative mess up, they may well have simply sent a contactless as I imagine has become the norm these days.

Irrespective of any of that, an unnecessary sleight was made against the OP for how they manage their Bank account which is nobody else's business whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Stephierose,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes there has been a recent change in policy. As of the 8th of July all Visa Debit cards issued have the contactless feature. We understand this was not the answer you were hoping for.

I'm really sorry for the previous misleading information. We'll link in with our Branch Network team to let them know of your experience.

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks.

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

A thief will only get money on contactless without PIN, at the most, four times....and if the theft is notified to BOI, you'll get a full refund and new cards

Advertisement