Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort or people listen to WLRFM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Im only living here a few yrs and i cant really stand any of the local stations! My big issue with WlrFM is the presenters are all old and stuck in their ways. Geoff Harris and Timmy Ryan play some woeful ancient tunes then again maybe their audience are in their 70s..?
    News is news its hard to get wrong. Beat is shocking the same 4 songs every hour and the breakfast show is cringey. I stopped listening to local radio in the car to and from work and now i just throw on my playlist!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

I stopped listening to local radio after watching Howard Stern’s Private Parts and realising that I’ll never hear the radio I want while advertisers dictate what appears on the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

DeiseNew wrote: »
    Im only living here a few yrs and i cant really stand any of the local stations! My big issue with WlrFM is the presenters are all old and stuck in their ways. Geoff Harris and Timmy Ryan play some woeful ancient tunes then again maybe their audience are in their 70s..?
    News is news its hard to get wrong. Beat is shocking the same 4 songs every hour and the breakfast show is cringey. I stopped listening to local radio in the car to and from work and now i just throw on my playlist!

Geoff and Timmy are two of the great local DJ's, other stations would cry out for jocks of their calibre.

I agree with you on Beat, a woeful station, Any time I hear of an early morning traffic accident in the south east I cant help but think its attributed to road rage from listening to Niall Power and his gang of fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

WLR is for life if you work there! To borrow an old quip you'd do less time for killing the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Hurling fans and elderly people, not a word about Johnny Matthews on the website, if a hurler died they would do live commentary on the funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Hurling fans and elderly people, not a word about Johnny Matthews on the website, if a hurler died they would do live commentary on the funeral.

Correct and right there Mysterypunter, Damien Tiernan dedicated entire shows as obituaries to hurlers who retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

They cover the English premier League more than hurling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Correct and right there Mysterypunter, Damien Tiernan dedicated entire shows as obituaries to hurlers who retired.

Damien tiernan is one of the main men on the Waterford junior soccer board and still plays with park rangers (former chairman) and coaches in bohs. I wouldn't say he is biased against soccer in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

In fairness to them - credit where it's due - they gave over 2 hours on Friday morning - 1 hour to Johnny Matthews and 1 hour to Dick Hayes, replayed it Friday night at 10pm and then did a one hour live panel discussion this morning on Maria McCanns Cafe Thing paying tribute to both men. At least its an effort on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Maybe on website but on the actually station he got a good send off. Sure Johnny was a regular on Matt Keane's sports Saturday few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

why not tune to OpenTempo--great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    old, conservative people, obviously enough. Local radio is utterly ****e across Ireland.

Old sensible people.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

Em... we are making heavy weather of this tread. 7 out of 10 adults in Waterford listen to WLR every single week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

invara wrote: »
    Em... we are making heavy weather of this tread. 7 out of 10 adults in Waterford listen to WLR every single week.

7 out of 10 people in nursing homes more like it. the other 3 out of 10 are deaf.

interestingly enough on my behalf i tune in for the first 10 min every morning to hear who DT has on! most of it is ripped off Newstalk breakfast show. I have yet to hear DT take asunder a politician or a guest and he is probably a year in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Do they ever change their playlists or what? They always seem to play the same music every single day. It's like groundhog day listening to WLRFM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is that different from any other station? Hearing the same songs on repeat is what made me abandon radio years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Where do you expect them to buy new CDs in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    Where do you expect them to buy new CDs in Waterford.

Golden discs in city square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Better selection in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Does Geoff ever update his music? Dont listen to a lot of WLRfm:D myself but the mother always has it on! And sometimes I have to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming. Groundhog day on the turntable : heavy on 80's and a little bit of the 90's if yer lucky :pac:

Bumped up......

Goof is on holidays this week, Andy McClusky is on instead, a VAST improvement, very professional, better selection of music, no inane ramblings. You can still feel the ABC coming out in him :)

However Damien Tiernan, while doing as well he probably can with the coronavirus going on, well get him away from that playout system. Playing half songs all the week to drive people off their tits, two songs playing together, the funeral announcements playing while interviewing people, the news after the weather, JJ on Suirside 40 years ago would have done better .........AAAAARGHHHHH !!!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

91wx763 wrote: »
    Bumped up......

Goof is on holidays this week, Andy McClusky is on instead, a VAST improvement, very professional, better selection of music, no inane ramblings. You can still feel the ABC coming out in him :)

However Damien Tiernan, while doing as well he probably can with the coronavirus going on, well get him away from that playout system. Playing half songs all the week to drive people off their tits, two songs playing together, the funeral announcements playing while interviewing people, the news after the weather, JJ on Suirside 40 years ago would have done better .........AAAAARGHHHHH !!!!! :D:D

Then you have Sound out with me Tony Kelly doing Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Tony Kelly here on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Tony Kelly with me Sound out on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Your listening to Sound out with me Tony Kelly and we're going to give away a Sound out with me Tony Kelly hat here on Sound out with me Tony Kelly straight after the break on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. 🀯

Anyone know who presents that Sound out program?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Then you have Sound out with me Tony Kelly doing Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Tony Kelly here on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Tony Kelly with me Sound out on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Your listening to Sound out with me Tony Kelly and we're going to give away a Sound out with me Tony Kelly hat here on Sound out with me Tony Kelly straight after the break on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. ��

Rick Whelan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Then you have Sound out with me Tony Kelly doing Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Tony Kelly here on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Tony Kelly with me Sound out on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Your listening to Sound out with me Tony Kelly and we're going to give away a Sound out with me Tony Kelly hat here on Sound out with me Tony Kelly straight after the break on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. ��

I actually like his show. Nice to see someone knew considering the rest are on the radio since nineteen eighty something playing the same tune every single day. It's like groundhog day listening to WLRFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I actually like his show. Nice to see someone knew considering the rest are on the radio since nineteen eighty something playing the same tune every single day. It's like groundhog day listening to WLRFM.

His show is grand and he seems like a "Sound out" lad but he doesn't need to remind us every 2.3 seconds of the name of the show and who presents it.

I agree with the groundhog day. Same songs day after day after day. Normally switch off after Tiernan who is a huge step up from Eamon and Billy.

Rick Whelan is just nuts. He goes off talking about something then it's like he has no idea where he's going with it and you're genuinely left wondering just what the fcuk is he on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

91wx763 wrote: »
    Bumped up......

Goof is on holidays this week, Andy McClusky is on instead, a VAST improvement, very professional, better selection of music, no inane ramblings. You can still feel the ABC coming out in him

The ABC chaps were all taught in the "say it and play it" environment of proper commercial radio. WLR stock are wafflers.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Have to say I think Tony Kelly has been brilliant.

The ABC chaps were all taught in the "say it and play it" environment of proper commercial radio. WLR stock are wafflers.

how dare you...Oliver Carrol still sticks rigidly to the 'say it and play it' schtick........every....fcukin.....time

Ah lads,there has to be some radio station that plays Level42 these days...and thats' local radio station of the year...WLR'

Was actually a little disheartened to find out that the morning show has a playlist made up by Ray C...that's a tough station,if ever there was one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

awful show, chap loves himself. He would be better off creating a podcast that he can just send to his family and friends

Advertisement