Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort or people listen to WLRFM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Going by WLR-Otis Redding only ever released one song 'Sittin on the dock of the bay....'in his short career.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

I think Andy Mac is covering Geoffs Holidays during the week.

It's unusual for WLR to waste effort on jingles. And that squeaky wan Karen Tompkins is back from South East radio and reading the news lately. Changes afoot ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

91wx763 wrote: »
    It's unusual for WLR to waste effort on jingles. And that squeaky wan Karen Tompkins is back from South East radio and reading the news lately. Changes afoot ?

She can also be heard on TodayFM too, she's self-employed now and covers a number of different stations apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Timmy is playing some lovely music today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Timmy is playing some lovely music today.

Shame he always butts in halfway through the song and plays another one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I think Andy Mac is covering Geoffs Holidays during the week.

He go anywhere nice?

Shame he always butts in halfway through the song and plays another one!

That's billhooks. Timmy plays the special long versions and never talks over the song unlike goof or those two clowns in the mornings.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    He go anywhere nice?

Andy Mac? The broadcast centre I presume and home then after the show.

Andy Mac? The broadcast centre I presume and home then after the show.

No, Goof?

That's billhooks. Timmy plays the special long versions and never talks over the song unlike goof or those two clowns in the mornings.

Sorry, i was getting him mixed up with your man with the weird voice Ricky who is on weekends!

• Advertisement

Sorry, i was getting him mixed up with your man with the weird voice Ricky who is on weekends!

Paddy Whelan, he was doing a set in the Uluru one night and overheard someone commenting on the music he was playing, he stopped the set and gave a full 10 minutes ranting at how he carefully chooses what he plays, blah, blah - all while dressed as an Action Man

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Paddy Whelan, he was doing a set in the Uluru one night and overheard someone commenting on the music he was playing, he stopped the set and gave a full 10 minutes ranting at how he carefully chooses what he plays, blah, blah - all while dressed as an Action Man

Heard stories of his antics not a nice guy by any means

I was told a story once that Rick had had one of his frequent bust ups with his brother (that's Des the MD of WLR to those who might not know) and got the boot or left. There was a pirate radio station on the air from up in Ballybricken at the back of O Driscolls glass shop and Rick asked to get involved but the bloke who owned it said no.

Oddly enough the regulator raided the place a few weeks later on specific information that broadcasting equipment stolen from a community station in Dublin was being used.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Bull sh1t, what proof do you have?

I was told a story once that Rick had had one of his frequent bust ups with his brother (that's Des the MD of WLR to those who might not know) and got the boot or left. There was a pirate radio station on the air from up in Ballybricken at the back of O Driscolls glass shop and Rick asked to get involved but the bloke who owned it said no.

Oddly enough the regulator raided the place a few weeks later on specific information that broadcasting equipment stolen from a community station in Dublin was being used.

He has always been on WLR though hasnt he? Looks like none of the bust ups were that bad that he had to get his own job.

There was a new chap on sports over the weekend, Is Gavin Whelan finished?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He has always been on WLR though hasnt he? Looks like none of the bust ups were that bad that he had to get his own job.

No there have been several rumpuses over the 40 years !!!

Andy Mac is filling in for the afternoon show today (he even has his own jingle).

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I used to have a url stream in winamp for Tempo FM but they closed it. Anyone know of any others? I hate having to have a web page open to listen to music on desktop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I used to have a url stream in winamp for Tempo FM but they closed it. Anyone know of any others? I hate having to have a web page open to listen to music on desktop

This is what the web page is showing to me

http://eu7.fastcast4u.com/proxy/opentemp?mp=/;

Will play in VLC - in a browser will show Shoutcast page if you drop the trailing ' ; ' .

Brilliant, that works. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Its embarassing how most of their shows are now recorded and the recording stops over and over, been off now for 2mins

Damien Tiernan is having an absolute 'mare! :D

Is he in the Dungarvan studio, that would explain some of it - always gives the impression of being made of string and spit.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

They are the only radio station I know where it either goes into complete silince for a minute while somebody is playing with the controls,listening to the DJ talking in the background while a song is on.ads been played halfways through a conversation.will they ever get their act together in there.its been run by a bunch of monkeys.very amateurish.then DT tries to put on this stupid pat shortt talk on the radio!!

Muttley79 wrote: »
    They are the only radio station I know where it either goes into complete silince for a minute while somebody is playing with the controls,listening to the DJ talking in the background while a song is on.ads been played halfways through a conversation.will they ever get their act together in there.its been run by a bunch of monkeys.very amateurish.then DT tries to put on this stupid pat shortt talk on the radio!!

Other station equipment is available and available very locally :Dhttps://www.totalbroadcast.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Not a mention of Eric Sweeney on their website. The Irish Times have an article about his death.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Not a mention of Eric Sweeney on their website. The Irish Times have an article about his death.

Damien Tiernan sympathised with his family during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

An acquaintance of mine who recently suffered a family bereavement told me that when they got the invoice from the funeral directors that WLR's fee on it was something of the order of €150 for them posting on their website and a couple of on-air mentions.

Just doesn't sit right with me.

• Advertisement

Was that their official death notice? All media charge for them, classified adverts. I wouldn't begrudge them that income in these times. 200 notes is typical.

Advertisement