Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort or people listen to WLRFM

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You could claim doctors are such bad people, profiting from peoples suffering but its not like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You could claim doctors are such bad people, profiting from peoples suffering but its not like that.

Undertaking costs a fortune though, I'm always shocked when I see those bills

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Undertaking costs a fortune though, I'm always shocked when I see those bills

You'd be lucky to get change out of €6,000.

In UK you can get direct cremation, cadaver moved in cardboard coffin from mortuary to oven in 1980's former ambulance, splash of holy water put on box if you had faith by bloke in council overalls, ashes come back in the post a few weeks later, all about £500

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

91wx763 wrote: »

In UK you can get direct cremation, cadaver moved in cardboard coffin from mortuary to oven in 1980's former ambulance, splash of holy water put on box if you had faith by bloke in council overalls, ashes come back in the post a few weeks later, all about £500

That would be the top end of the scale, we buried my dad last March and we ordered a mid range coffin, we looked after all catering costs ourselves and we had to purchase a double grave in Ballygunner which was done through the undertaker and our final cost was €4,500 including the double plot. We had cars on both days along with my dads remains had to be transported back from a hospital in Dungarvan. Credit Union death insurance pays €3,300 directly to the undertaker.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That would be the top end of the scale, we buried my dad last March and we ordered a mid range coffin, we looked after all catering costs ourselves and we had to purchase a double grave in Ballygunner which was done through the undertaker and our final cost was €4,500 including the double plot. We had cars on both days along with my dads remains had to be transported back from a hospital in Dungarvan. Credit Union death insurance pays €3,300 directly to the undertaker.

Sorry to hear about your father.

I think the CU death insurance scheme is now under review, I arranged my mother's (probably forthcoming :( ) funeral with her a few years back and the undertakers went on about it a lot but it seems the insurers have changed the rules, I can see some people being caught short after relying on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

I know in parts of West Waterford depending on what you go for you could have a four digit figure in change out of €6,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Aquos76 wrote: »

I heard someone say that the grant is not available to anyone. They were not entitled to it anyway when they looked for it in Dungarvan.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

blacksuir wrote: »
    I heard someone say that the grant is not available to anyone. They were not entitled to it anyway when they looked for it in Dungarvan.

Its not a grant, its insurance that you pay for on a yearly basis. My dad had it set that it came out of his account automatically each year. Depending on the credit union it costs between €60-€95 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Damien is having a go at a bit of go of the Bishop Phonsie.

Damien is having a go at a bit of go of the Bishop Phonsie.

And why not ?

On the topic, I had a beravement last week and it was 10 in the church- NON NEGOTIABLE- because in the words of the priest and undertaker it would be 12 for you and someone would want 14 tomorrow and so on and on until in a fortnight's time the church was full.

What was it about old Ireland, the important people were the church, the guards and the schoolteacher? Not much has changed then.

Appalling to see the bishop not doing the same as his own local priests.

Aside @Aquos76 and me were having a chat in this thread about funerals, well I am now awaiting the bill........ Seems the credit union death benefit in the branch we are dealing with is €2000.

• Advertisement

What irks me about cremation is how after the burning the bones dont come out as dust. They come out as chunks, so they put the bone chunks through a grinding machine to produce the dust everyone wants. Someone has to oversee it and pick out the pace makers and that. Inhumation just seems so much more peaceful and natural.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What irks me about cremation is how after the burning the bones dont come out as dust. They come out as chunks, so they put the bone chunks through a grinding machine to produce the dust everyone wants. Someone has to oversee it and pick out the pace makers and that. Inhumation just seems so much more peaceful and natural.

The most natural would be leaving the body unburied,
    Burial and cremation are human creations really, but both have been used by our species for many thousands of years.

The real difference now is we use lots of material that really shouldn't be put into the ground (plastics and cheimicals).

Personally, I like the idea of a natural graveyard, no fancy coffin, no silly expensive headstones. https://www.greengraveyard.com/

Just a shame there's a real lack of these types of graveywards in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cabaal wrote:

A relative is buried in tramore, they've strict plot rules and limitations, I think it's a better idea, prevents a lot of plot nonsense

Cabaal wrote: »
    Burial and cremation are human creations really, but both have been used by our species for many thousands of years.

The real difference now is we use lots of material that really shouldn't be put into the ground (plastics and cheimicals).

Personally, I like the idea of a natural graveyard, no fancy coffin, no silly expensive headstones. https://www.greengraveyard.com/

They have that in India for Parsi people. Looks a bit ghastly but certainly very natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Cabaal wrote: »

Someone can try out leaving bodies unburied near your house and we'll see if you still think it is a good idea. :D During the summer when you are having BBQ's.

Advertisement