Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadowrun - Intro

Options
  • 13-08-2019 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Frostburn, Rude, Yu and Zipfile find themselves in one of the many Stuffer Shack convenience stores that dot Seattle.

y7lE5e.jpg

It's a quiet evening and none of the runners have come by work in a long time, the only food they can afford being the crappy microwave meals the store offers.

This is the first time any of you have seen your new teammates since you agreed to work for Ms. Myth.

Zipfile stands next to the Synthcoffee machine, as Rude and Yu peruse the important Asian soft drinks. Frostburn has just walked in.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rude reaches for one of the Asian soft-drinks, but deigns against it. Last time he wanted a bottle of water he took out half of aisle 3. Four months of pay down the swanny. He didn't even have that sort of cash right now. His thirst could wait.

He pulls his oversized hand back and looks at Yu, growling.

'I don't suppose ya could grab on fer me there?'

He holds up his hands.

'Never was one fer much... errrr.. docorination? Is that how you pronounce that?'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Zipfile sips her tea. **** you, coffee machine!

(Don't worry, it's not Matcha. That stress-growth stuff is barbaric. But it is the last of the leaves from Ungivuse, her ill-fated plant who had not survived her last emergency housing reshuffle. Poor little fella.)

OOC : I've taken the liberty of assuming I can hack the coffee machine for free hot water. Is that a liberty too far? BTW - Are we meeting each-other or a contact or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OOC: Hacking the coffee machine is fine. Here to meet each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Necro wrote: »
    Rude reaches for one of the Asian soft-drinks, but deigns against it. Last time he wanted a bottle of water he took out half of aisle 3. Four months of pay down the swanny. He didn't even have that sort of cash right now. His thirst could wait.

He pulls his oversized hand back and looks at Yu, growling.

'I don't suppose ya could grab on fer me there?'

He holds up his hands.

'Never was one fer much... errrr.. docorination? Is that how you pronounce that?'

Yu grabs a can of mango cream soda and hands it to Rude.

sKeith wrote: »
    Yu grabs a can of mango cream soda and hands it to Rude.

Rude takes the can and grunts a thanks.

'So whatchooo doing here mate? I heard of a job, need the cash. Same for you?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Frostburn looks at the cream soda and shudders.

'I'd rather parch than put that poison into my body. You'll be cramping all over the place in the next few hours! You know where the 'cream' comes from, right?

Rude looks down at the cream soda.

'No, didn't hear about tha. Always wus partial to cream soda. Maybe it's why I turned out the way I did, eh? Whatchoo here fer anyways?'

Zipfile waddles over to a booth and clambers up into the bench, swinging her legs as she cups her hands around her tea.
    "'Fana is here for the joke. A troll, an Orc and a Dwarf walk into a coffee shop. So I suppose the muhle over there," she gestures at Yu, "is the punchline?"

tusk wrote: »
    Frostburn looks at the cream soda and shudders.

'I'd rather parch than put that poison into my body. You'll be cramping all over the place in the next few hours! You know where the 'cream' comes from, right?
    The shop owner shouts down to Frostburn.

"If you want something fancier we have Dragon Piss in the fourth aisle"

Just then the group sees a couple of gang members approach the store, but not enter. They simply stop outside the door blocking the way.

Rude shuffles up to the counter to pay for his cream soda, keeping an eye on the doorway, but also trying not to trip over his own feet as he so often does.

• Advertisement

OOC : Do I need to use my deck to do a quick matrix perception test to see if there's something going on with the guys outside, or can I do that via my comm link? Also, is whipping your deck out in public like using a laptop in Starbucks or like urinating on the ceiling of a subway carriage in terms of level of social acceptability?

Rude takes the can and grunts a thanks.

'So whatchooo doing here mate? I heard of a job, need the cash. Same for you?'

'Same. Need cash, seek job.'

Banjo wrote: »
    OOC : Do I need to use my deck to do a quick matrix perception test to see if there's something going on with the guys outside, or can I do that via my comm link? Also, is whipping your deck out in public like using a laptop in Starbucks or like urinating on the ceiling of a subway carriage in terms of level of social acceptability?
    OOC: Just to info dump on this since the Matrix is one of the most confusing parts of the game. Most people couldn't understand it from the 4E core! Apologies if I repeat stuff you know.

There are three common pieces of Matrix tech.

A commlink, which actually interacts with and processes information from the matrix into a comprehensible form. It's the base tech. About the size of a credit card. The can give a pop up holographic display but most people have them built into a pair of glasses, etc

A DNIs enhance the commlink to let you see the matrix directly without needing to wear google glasses style head wear. You plug the commlink into your DNI port in the base of your neck to do this.

Sim-module can then be installed into the commlink to give smell, sound, touch to the matrix.

With a cyberdeck you have all three at once, plus hacking software that let's you break into things and also enhances matrix perception to allow you to see devices that would be hidden to "default" matrix use.

The cyberdeck is also bigger, about the size of a tablet to laptop size, so it is more obvious that you have it. You can have the DNI in your neck connect to the cyberdeck wirelessly, but most use a wired plug in to prevent hacking (wireless is much easier to hack and people can intercept the signals between your DNI and cyberdeck)

You can also experience the matrix two ways. AR where Matrix detailed is overlaid on top of the real world. Or VR where you fully enter.

In VR you have access to far more of the matrix and can go to servers on the other side of the planet. AR only shows the parts of the matrix tied to your real world surroundings and you move through it at your real world running and walking pace. However in VR you are essentially sitting completely still as you are completely jacked in

A cyberdeck is illegal in some places, but is treated more like "oh she's probably up to something" in Seattle because it is technically legal

Thus for your matrix perception here are you fully jacking in or just using AR to put icons and details on top of the real world.

OOC : I think it would be AR via the Commlink at this point if it's appropriate - the intent would be not so much to hack the shop as to see if there's an indication that someone else is trying to, e.g. hitting any cameras, electronic locks or shutters on the front or back door, the tills or vending machines ; Looking for signs that this is a robbery (and we're incidental) or that they're there to stop us leaving and something else is about to happen.

How good / lethal would the security system on a dive like this be?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Fourier wrote: »
    The shop owner shouts down to Frostburn.

"If you want something fancier we have Dragon Piss in the fourth aisle"

Just then the group sees a couple of gang members approach the store, but not enter. They simply stop outside the door blocking the way.

Frostburn holds back a retort to the shop keeper and allows the suggestion of alternative drink float in the air. Looking beyond the shopkeeper, she sees the group outside and wants to see what they are doing. Fighting her curiosity, she opts to play it safe. She steps back until she has her back to the door of a nearby fridge, before sidling into a corner away from direct sight of the group. She furtively looks around at the others in the shop. If they have caught notice of the group outside the door, she cant tell.

Yu grabs a soda and pays the shop owner. He opens the container a takes a sip. He say to the others, "we gonna see if these lads have a job for us? we don't wanna keep them waiting", Yu exits the shop and approaches the two gang members. "You gotta job?"

OOC : I think it would be AR via the Commlink at this point if it's appropriate - the intent would be not so much to hack the shop as to see if there's an indication that someone else is trying to, e.g. hitting any cameras, electronic locks or shutters on the front or back door, the tills or vending machines ; Looking for signs that this is a robbery (and we're incidental) or that they're there to stop us leaving and something else is about to happen. How good / lethal would the security system on a dive like this be?
    OOC: Security in a shop like this would be usually pretty easy for a decker to crack.

As zipfile spins up the AR overlay on objects around her most of it is tedious ads superimposed on top of the products they're selling. One packet of crisps has a dancing cartoon avatar singing an irritating tune and doing a jig near Rude's feet. Thankfully her AR software silences him.

She notices around her in the shop a security system through the door behind the clerk, its profile being outlined on top of the closed door. Through the shop walls her deck shows her two security camera icons, again profiles outlined. Forty three devices are detected outside the shop, twenty-two commlinks, seventeen handguns and four security cameras in the streets outside.

OOC: All are shown in outline superposed over the shop wall where they would be if you could see through it

Security on all of the devices seems quite weak, except for the street cameras where it seems moderate as they are hooked into the city security system. The thugs directly standing outside the door all carry guns and commlinks. Her comm link has filtered out minor devices like t-shirts, socks, etc (OOC: all have chips in them)

As Yu opens the door, everybody gets a clear look outside as one of the gang members holds the door open when he approaches.

Stepping outside Yu is greeted by a bunch of gang members wearing bandannas directly outside the shop door. They're a mix of orcs, trolls and dwarves.

Across the road another gang in black and grey get out of a van. Near them at the entrance of a warehouse complex is another gang clad in black and green composed of elves. And just to the right of them another gang of massive orcs and trolls in brown and gold.

Two buses have been used to block off the road.

Inside the warehouse complex two of the gangs are leading a very fancy looking limo inside.

sKeith wrote: »
    Yu grabs a soda and pays the shop owner. He opens the container a takes a sip. He say to the others, "we gonna see if these lads have a job for us? we don't wanna keep them waiting", Yu exits the shop and approaches the two gang members. "You gotta job?"
    A female orc in the gang outside the door puts her hand out to block Yu and says:
    "Stay inside pretty boy, for your own safety"

Rude opens his can of creamed soda, takes a slug and wanders over to the door for a closer look.

• Advertisement

Zipfile sips her tea and has a pop at looking through those street-facing cameras.
    "Eish! I wouldn't go out there if I were ten of you, Rude. "

(OOC : I'm not clear on whether or not we're supposed to know eachother but since Rude taught Zip to shoot a pistol according to the dossier I figure they're on first name terms?)

Zipfile sips her tea and has a pop at looking through those street-facing cameras.

(OOC : I'm not clear on whether or not we're supposed to know eachother but since Rude taught Zip to shoot a pistol according to the dossier I figure they're on first name terms?)
    OOC: You've all been working with Ms. Myth for a little while. No jobs as such yet, but you've met up from time to time before when some of you have been in her place. This is the first time you all meet in one place.

Zipfile manages to get past the security system of the cameras with ease. Looking through them and having access to their more extensive recognition databank she sees the limo is tagged as an ambassadorial vehicle registered to UCAS envoy Erika Hoffman.

The cameras allow her to assess that there are eighty four gang members in total. Divided between the Ancients (an elven gang, wear black and green), the Spikes (Troll gang, brown and gold), Ragers (the gang outside the shop door) and the Rusted Stilettos (a mutated Orc gang).

OOC: UCAS is a government that combines some parts of the former USA and Canada. They've wanted Seattle to formally join them for a while

OOC: I did not know that :o Thanks!

'Thanks for da heads down, Zip... or is dat Up?'

Rude shrugs and stands watching by the door beside Yu.

OOC: I did not know that :o Thanks!

'Thanks for da heads down, Zip... or is dat Up?'

Rude shrugs and stands watching by the door beside Yu.
    Another Orc spots Rude and tells him to back off and get back inside the store.

Zipfile, watching from the security cameras, sees more of the gang members head into the warehouse complex and toward the limo. Though rival gangs eye each other as they do.

Ooc : do the others have a HUD or something I can ping those numbers up on? Or do I have to relay it with my meatmouth?

OOC: The others have commlinks you can send them to. For Rude it'll show up in front of his eyes as he has a smartlink between his eyes and the commlink. Frostburn and Yu would have to take out the commlinks and look

"listen to the door Ork. There's maybe a hundred bangers out there, and either they're making a very late sequel to The Warriors - and yes, I can dig that - or the govs about to throw down. Ooooh .. that's too good to miss"

ooc : sorry for all the questions. Can she take a look at the security on the limo and it's occupants without arousing suspicion? It's every good neoanarchist's duty to stop The Man from messing with a perfectly good loose assemblage of truces and treaties!

• Advertisement

Yu backs away for the doorway, back inside the shop. "Yu wants to see what happening, but Yu knows when the heats to hot to handle." He finds somewhere comfortable away from the doorway to lean up and sips some soda, waiting.

Advertisement