Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadowrun - Intro

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rude grunts and re enters the shop.

He peers out from a side window watching the rest of the action outside.

'Zip you might be puny but you be smart too. Rude listen to puny Zip this time.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    "listen to the door Ork. There's maybe a hundred bangers out there, and either they're making a very late sequel to The Warriors - and yes, I can dig that - or the govs about to throw down. Ooooh .. that's too good to miss"

ooc : sorry for all the questions. Can she take a look at the security on the limo and it's occupants without arousing suspicion? It's every good neoanarchist's duty to stop The Man from messing with a perfectly good loose assemblage of truces and treaties!
    OOC: Viewing directly inside the Limo might allow UCAS protocols to spot you. Most likely the algorithms in the Limo itself are quite weak, but stronger ones might arrive from UCAS servers if you're in too long or trigger alarms.

I should say just to be explicit. Any hacking action requires the cyberdeck. So when you just viewed the nearby devices you had your commlink plugged in as you said, but when you went to hack the security cameras it's implicit in meatspace that you plugged out the commlink and stuck the cyberdeck into your head.

The big difference between the commlink and cyberdeck is hacking and sensation, i.e. cyberdeck lets you touch/hear/smell/taste the Matrix. So note an attacker can seriously fúck with you if they catch you, i.e. mess up or even fry your head. This won't come out of nowhere though unless it's a seriously powerful server. Usually you'll see the attacking program as an entity in the Matrix.

Also the commlink only allows AR

All four of you in the store see a nervous looking woman stepping out of the limo looking around at the warehouse complex confused.

Members of the elven gang step forward to get, but are shoved back by the gang of trolls and orcs. A fist fight breaks out among a few of the members.

The other gangs are holding back, but have the hands on their guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

"Things looking a little tense out there, ipali. Would be such a shame if one of those twitchy fingers had a teeny tiny slip..."

OOC : Let me preface this by saying - What does everyone else want to do? I'm not sure if there's an opportunity in this for us to make money off the back of it, all I'm seeing is the potential risk that this kicks off into violence or that we witness something we shouldn't have and we're going to have to run for free. For FREE! Boooooo! So if it's going to kick off regardless, I vote that we do the kicking so down the line we can claim credit for the disruption which might be worth something to someone? With that in mind, depending on the group feeling :

IC:
    Ok, leave the meat behind - I'm sure these passing acquaintances can be trusted not to draw a mickey on my face in sharpie while I'm mischief-making. Leave the limo, I'm sure getting UCAS attention would not be to my advantage at this point.

Hacking the cameras was an illegal act, so I presume I'm generating Overwatch like in the dossier? Is there a way I can check my current score? (Not right this second as I don't think I've done anything too bad yet, more a general query). Also is there something I can do that lets me know if there are other digital presences in the area who might be a potential threat / opposing force?

But observation is relatively passive so I can look at the various tags and markers without drawing down trouble can't I? Because what I'd like to do is identify a Smart gun amongst the gangs - Well, a Government one would be ideal but more trouble than it's worth so Trolls / Orcs as a preference, Elves 2nd, Other gangs 3rd - and fire off a couple of rounds just to disrupt proceedings a little, then erase any trace I might have left, exit the Matrix as gracefully as I can and maybe get behind the counter or out the back door.

OOC: Go for it B :D

• Advertisement

OOC: You don't know your overwatch score. There is an action to check it in older editions, but either Zipfile doesn't have it or (I think more likely) they've removed it. You'll be able to see signs of it approaching the point where it is dangerous, e.g. searchlights or similar appearing in VR or just seeing the GOD programs approach.

However Zipfile would know enough to have a rough guess as to when you should jack out. Against weak security you're probably going to get 1 overwatch, 2-4 against medium and roughly 5-7 against strong. Each turn you stay in a part of the matrix you shouldn't you'll get 1. So that'd be her rough guess.

Matrix perception will tell you if there are nasty digital presences. From your last Matrix perception there aren't currently. Looking at tags and so on is completely passive so no overwatch. You can focus Matrix perception to learn more about a single object. That's also legal and passive unless it's got security

Into the matrix we gooooooooooooo.....
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110974157

Baggly wrote: »
    Frostburn holds back a retort to the shop keeper and allows the suggestion of alternative drink float in the air. Looking beyond the shopkeeper, she sees the group outside and wants to see what they are doing. Fighting her curiosity, she opts to play it safe. She steps back until she has her back to the door of a nearby fridge, before sidling into a corner away from direct sight of the group. She furtively looks around at the others in the shop. If they have caught notice of the group outside the door, she cant tell.
    Frostburn feels the current of mana in the area being distorted. Either a lot of people are channeling a bit of magic or somebody is channeling a lot. It's hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Frostburn continues to hold back behind the others but moves forward a little bit to see if she can see anyone obviously channelling mana.

Zipfile sends a message to everybody saying there is a 20,000 nuyen reward for investigating what trouble the limo is in being offered by the UCAS government.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Frostbite checks her comms thingy and says to the others 'hey guys lets investigate what trouble the limo is in being offered by the UCAS government'.

• Advertisement

Frostburn continues to hold back behind the others but moves forward a little bit to see if she can see anyone obviously channelling mana.
    Approaching the door she can see what most can't. Green channels of mana coursing along the street and flowing toward five mages, two from the elven gang, one in each of the others.

Judging by the mana flow they're not quite as strong as her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

ooc: how much is 20,000 neyens.

enough to buy a coffee,
    enough to buy dinner,

Frostbite checks her comms thingy and says to the others 'hey guys lets investigate what trouble the limo is in being offered by the UCAS government'.

Rude mashes his fists together.

'Just gimme something to smash!'

sKeith wrote: »
    ooc: how much is 20,000 neyens.

enough to buy a coffee,
    enough to buy dinner,
    OOC: Divided between you it would give a middle class standard of living for a month

Yu feels his commlink buzz. Zipfile has a client on the line for him.

Yu takes his commlink out and looks at it.

Brrrp brrrrrrp
    Brrrrp brrrrrp

Yu takes his commlink out and looks at it.
    A nervous voice speaks from the commlink.

"Hell...Hello...this is Envoy Hoffman, I'm talking to a Runner? If I am get me out of here and I'll give you that 40,000...I promise it'll be authorized immediately as soon as I'm extracted..."

Yu notices a pop up appear in the lower right corner of his commlink, a payment of 40,000 nuyen pending authorization from Hoffman before it's released into the group's shared account.

Frostburn gets a similar payment notification on her commlink. Rude sees it pop up in his visual feed floating above his right hand.

Yu speaks into the commlink, "Do you have any idea where you are or who is holding you hostage? If you can enable geo location of your signal, so that we can plan on how to get there and extract you."

Yu speaks into the commlink, "Do you have any idea where you are or who is holding you hostage? If you can enable geo location of your signal, so that we can plan on how to get there and extract you."
    A signal comes up on Yu's commlink showing she is across the road in the Limo with the gangs around her.

"Nobody is holding me hostage yet...they're shouting and hitting each other. I think they're fighting over who gets to take me hostage..."

• Advertisement

Zip pulls the jack out of her head (is that how you connect to a deck? Ah **** it, I'm the only one who's got one so it is now!) and blinks, readjusting to the harsh flicker of the Shack's lights. Outside she see's the party is still in full swing.

"Eish, you not get the sardine out of her can yet? I've got rent to pay!"

While she waits for the deck to reboot, she pulls the decrypted file up in AR and wanders over to the vending machine to window-shop for snacks.

"Hey Yu, see if she'll advance us some chump change, I could really go for a Double Drekker."

OOC: Just in case it isn't clear I'm waiting for your next move, either with the gangs outside or what Yu says to Hoffman

Yu speaks into the commlink again, "Ask your driver to make their way with that limo over to the stuffer snack and we'll take the extraction from there. We are just inside the shop."

Rude looks to the others.

'Want me to cause a distraction so you can get to the limo? I'm sure I can think of a way...'

Yu speaks into the commlink again, "Ask your driver to make their way with that limo over to the stuffer snack and we'll take the extraction from there. We are just inside the shop."
    "The car is automated, it should have taken me to the embassy but I got rerouted..."

Over the phone Yu hears the fighting outside the car intensify

"...I've tried talking to the car but it won't listen to me"

Yu looks over to the decker, "You think you can take control of that limo and plough it over hear so we can hop in it and get outta here?"

"don't know. Limo was quite rude to me. I can try but eish, I suspec there's more than digital devilry afoot out there. Might need to get these bangers shooting eachother up some first. Just gotta wait for my deck to reboot, shake of the vultures, I'll take a look"

Banjo wrote: »
    "don't know. Limo was quite rude to me. I can try but eish, I duspy there's more than digital devilry afoot out there. Might need to get these bangers shooting eachother up some first. Just gotta wait for my deck to reboot, shake of the vultures, I'll take a look"
    The deck buzzes slightly in Zipfile's hands as it finishes booting.

(zipfile will plug back in. But I think before we do anything we need a handle of the magicks at play)

• Advertisement

Frostburn receives a message:
    "Frosty, this might be more your scene. Got it from the car. Those symbols mean anything to you?"

Attached is a file written in magical symbols.

Advertisement